Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPop

I hope we get to see Lindelof-Maguire from the start against Chelsea, my feeling is that they will work well together. Although it is not everyone's opinion, Lindelof was undeniably one of the better last season and with Maugire next to him he should be even better.

arthurka

I hope we get to see Lindelof-Maguire from the start against Chelsea, my feeling is that they will work well together. Although it is not everyone's opinion, Lindelof was undeniably one of the better last season and with Maugire next to him he should be even better.
He wasnt really, he was bang average last season in a historicly bad defense. Going in with him and Matic central is going to cost us dearly. Dont see what people see in him, he isnt really good at anything but he really lacks ariel and physically. Hope we play Tuanzebe most games and Smalling when we need someone to mark players out of the game. Just dont see it but hope he surprises me.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
He wasnt really, he was bang average last season in a historicly bad defense. Going in with him and Matic central is going to cost us dearly. Dont see what people see in him, he isnt really good at anything but he really lacks ariel and physically. Hope we play Tuanzebe most games and Smalling when we need someone to mark players out of the game. Just dont see it but hope he surprises me.
He was by far the best defender we had last year by some distance. He grew into the roll, often the only one on the pitch with any sense of communication or leadership. Considering the shite he was paired with and the useless bastards either side of him (Young & Shaw) ... he did a fine job.

He improved massively on his positioning, is excellent one on one, anticipation and reading of the game is improving again to a high level and he’s very comfortable on the ball. His one flaw is heading, something Maguire is in his own league at.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He was by far the best defender we had last year by some distance. He grew into the roll, often the only one on the pitch with any sense of communication or leadership. Considering the shite he was paired with and the useless bastards either side of him (Young & Shaw) ... he did a fine job.

He improved massively on his positioning, is excellent one on one, anticipation and reading of the game is improving again to a high level and he’s very comfortable on the ball. His one flaw is heading, something Maguire is in his own league at.
Really? Are you sure you watched him doing these during games last season?

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Really? Are you sure you watched him doing these during games last season?
Yep I’ve got pretty decent eyes and memory thanks.

End of Jose’s term he was a standout and in good form. Under Ole he was the mainstay in defence and leading them throughout. The fact they’re shite isn’t all on him, he was the on pitch captain for the last few months.

Litch

Pretty much right. Vultures will always circle him as will other signings, if they are not People's first choice, they'll always focus on things they can't do and minimise the things they can. That said, his percentages of winning headers is high and saw him against forwards that most said would run all over him, and it never happened or beat him for speed. If others played to his level last season, we'd be in the CL this one.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not really. Smalling was better for most of the first half of the season. Lindelof was better for most of the second half. The combination of him being 'the new guy' and him being the one who finished the season strongly seems to have made people think he was significantly ahead all season, but over the course of the season as a whole they were fairly even. If you had to pick one maybe Lindelof shaded it, but he certainly wasn't by far the best by some distance.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Not really. Smalling was better for most of the first half of the season. Lindelof was better for most of the second half. The combination of him being 'the new guy' and him being the one who finished the season strongly seems to have made people think he was significantly ahead all season, but over the course of the season as a whole they were fairly even. If you had to pick one maybe Lindelof shaded it, but he certainly wasn't by far the best by some distance.
I’m not one to dismiss Smalling, I like him as a defender and he certainly has his place in the squad. If not the team, depending on who settles best with Maguire. However, he’s had far better seasons than last year and he wasn’t even playing much after Christmas. Ole preferred Jones when he was fit (as mad as it sounds).

OldPop

I agree with that and in my opinion they were the best when they played together.

arthurka

Again I am not going to argue about it as with many other things we see things very differently. But utd shipped 60 goals and with him being the constant I just dont see it in him. What he was last season is better than the year before, who knows he might prove me wrong but I just see a very mediocre defender there.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

If he was our 'best defender by some distance' can you recall a particular game where he was so good defensively? Not having a go I'd just like to find the game and understand what people are seeing that I'm missing.

I can't remember ever thinking 'nothings getting past Lindelof today'. There's always a chance of a soft goal when he's around.

jesperjaap

Every CB we have is going to be compared with Ferdinand and Vidic, which isn’t really fair.

I like Lindelöf. I think he is certainly better than average. Moaners can go buy VVD.
An they were compared to STam and JOhnsen who were compared to Pallister and Bruce....of course players are going to be compared to recent past players good or bad. Not all of those four were great defenders individually but they were as partnerships, lest hope Lindelof can be as well, as sorry individually he is average at best

A-man

Again I am not going to argue about it as with many other things we see things very differently. But utd shipped 60 goals and with him being the constant I just dont see it in him. What he was last season is better than the year before, who knows he might prove me wrong but I just see a very mediocre defender there.
If your conclusion comes from conceded goals from last season, I don't understand why you want Tuanzebe to play? His team shipped about the same amount of goals, against much worse teams.

arthurka

If your conclusion comes from conceded goals from last season, I don't understand why you want Tuanzebe to play? His team shipped about the same amount of goals, against much worse teams.
Of course is not just that, thats just a product of a bad unit. But he was the only one who played CB regularly in that unit. He isnt intimidating at all, never stamps his authority on matches, ducks shots and I could go on and on. Avarage pace, passing and staying on his feet. Above avarage positioning and 1 v1 plus he has a decent tackle on him. But he is terrible in the air and isnt commanding. He is the definition of a reactive player he is never proactive.

Like I said it looks like Ole is going to try him out with our clear nr 1 and lets see what happens, but I got a sneaky feeling that he will be taken out and replaced by Smalling or even Tuanzebe. Hope I am wrong as he looks like a a really nice and down to earth guy.

Ekeke

Probably because he's younger and hasnt had a chance with this set of United players and De Gea.

Lindelof has had 2 seasons with us, we know his limitations and that both times he was poor in the first half of the season

Syphon Wallet

I really like Lindelof and I hope the partnership with Maguire is successful.... but its hard to see past his weakness in the air at the moment.
Tuanzebe needs to bed in for another season, he's good on the ball but his overall defending quality needs to go up a level.
That might come if he gets enough PL gametime.

Bwuk

I really like Lindelof and I hope the partnership with Maguire is successful.... but its hard to see past his weakness in the air at the moment.
Tuanzebe needs to bed in for another season, he's good on the ball but his overall defending quality needs to go up a level.
That might come if he gets enough PL gametime.
Maguire wins everything in the air.

Lindelof and Maguire are perfect together.

Thank god it’s the end for Smalling and Jones.

binary bot
He was very good in the air today too, was getting him mixed up with Maguire at times. He looks bigger when he's partner with him:confused:

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
If he was our 'best defender by some distance' can you recall a particular game where he was so good defensively? Not having a go I'd just like to find the game and understand what people are seeing that I'm missing.

I can't remember ever thinking 'nothings getting past Lindelof today'. There's always a chance of a soft goal when he's around.
Let’s hope he continues like today...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm so happy Lindelof has a competent centre back partner. He's come on leaps and bounds and looks even more assured without wobblers next to him.

Superunknown

Sublime today. Maguire will get the plaudits but he was our best player.
Completely agree with this. Really like the look of the two of them together. I hope that we actually stick with this exact back four and work at it, because I think it could be very difficult to score against.

He's come on so much since he first joined. He's now quite an important player for us.

cyberman

Looks like a different defender when he's not covering others mistakes.

Based Adnan

Now that there is a CB next to him capable of making a pass properly we'll see the best of Lindelof. Previously teams knew he's our only CB who's good on the ball so would pressure him and allow the likes of Smalling or Jones to have it knowing they aren't passing between the lines.

Defensively was very good today. No longer has to constantly cover for clowns playing either side of him.

Drifter

American
Thought he outplayed Maguire on the day ,but i guess he is not a new face.

King Andow

That moment when he was trapped by 2 or 3 Chelsea players and got out like a boss, the composure :drool:

PaulScholes99

That moment when he was trapped by 2 or 3 Chelsea players and got out like a boss, the composure :drool:
That was amazing. Any chance of a gif for this turn? Really convinced me tonight, showed why he gets called Iceman in Sweden.

He is far away from the perfect defender, but i hope that he improves further and builds a fine partnership with Maguire. They have potential.

Iron Stove

He's a bit the forgotten man with the new guys doing so well, but had a great game today.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Apart from one chance he coughed up at the back post when he miss timed his header, (when Emerson smacked the post) he was excellent.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Never been so wrong about a player in all honesty.

Gives Fred some hope I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.