Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

He'sRaldo

He pisses me off so much, mainly because I really like his style of attacking. If only he wasn't substandard defensively and especially physically, he'd be a really good CB.

Didn't have the best game today, but in a game where we won 4-1, I'm choosing to focus on his attacking contributions, which were quite good IMO.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Burnley are going to cause him some serious problems I reckon.

A-man

Fumbled around at the goal, like rest of the defence. Was one more counter where he struggled, apart from that not much to do today than pass around the ball under some relatively light pressure.

Bebestation

One thing I don't understand is, is he actually physically weak or is it a bravery issue? Surely physicals can be improved in the gym?
It's definitely mentality - he doesn't want to get stuck in & is worried more about where he hands are tied behind his back.

I don't think he has physicality issues but he lacks things like concentration, positioning that all stems from mentality of not being too defensive minded atleast to Premier league levels - it's why I can't blame Maguire, I see him trying to move around RCB and LCB and taking the ball all the way up to CM and back.

Whilst people are going to hate it, I'd honestly wouldn't mind getting another defender in unless we can get Smalling back. Rojo is our second best defender. Tuenzebe maybe better than Lindelof but we shouldn't be going even half a season with him as our CB partner to Maguire.

He'sRaldo

It's definitely mentality - he doesn't want to get stuck in & is worried more about where he hands are tied behind his back.

I don't think he has physicality issues but he lacks things like concentration, positioning that all stems from mentality of not being too defensive minded atleast to Premier league levels - it's why I can't blame Maguire, I see him trying to move around RCB and LCB and taking the ball all the way up to CM and back.

Whilst people are going to hate it, I'd honestly wouldn't mind getting another defender in unless we can get Smalling back. Rojo is our second best defender. Tuenzebe maybe better than Lindelof but we shouldn't be going even half a season with him as our CB partner to Maguire.
Agreed about Rojo, but I don't think we can afford to get another defender in, especially if we still have 6 of them. It would be irresponsible to do so, and I'd rather just pair Maguire with Rojo.

Looking at Victor's ability on the ball and forward-thinking, it's so frustrating that he can't get into the right mindset defensively. Maybe making him fight against Rojo for his place might fire him up.

Bebestation

Agreed about Rojo, but I don't think we can afford to get another defender in, especially if we still have 6 of them. It would be irresponsible to do so, and I'd rather just pair Maguire with Rojo.

Looking at Victor's ability on the ball and forward-thinking, it's so frustrating that he can't get into the right mindset defensively. Maybe making him fight against Rojo for his place might fire him up.
It may sound stupid & it probably won't happen but even Bailly or TFM I wouldn't mind seeing back now.

If Lindelof isn't going to be dropped then I'd like to see him potentially play on the left hand side and Maguire on right just to shake his head up a bit just because Smalling & Lindelof did 'okay' that way.

Alemar

Please correct the stats in his profile - Victor has scored one goal this season, not zero.

Ekeke

Covering AWB who had pushed forward. Somebody (McT I guess) should have dropped in next to Maguire.
McTominay was close to Fred who lost the ball and was never going to get back on that counter attack. The defenders needed to deal with it themselves - Shaw got back decent enough but wasnt in the best position for the cutback and didnt make the tackle, Lindelof tried to make the block but didnt manage it

Eugenius

If you watch the goal, Maguire is on his own trying to mark two players whilst Lindelof is jogging around nowhere near anything. He doesn't even see Longstaff until he's taken a touch on the ball.

McTominay was close to Fred who lost the ball and was never going to get back on that counter attack. The defenders needed to deal with it themselves - Shaw got back decent enough but wasnt in the best position for the cutback and didnt make the tackle, Lindelof tried to make the block but didnt manage it
That's a problem for him then. A counter attack shouldn't be leaving our defence totally exposed like that.

Fussmeister

If you watch the goal, Maguire is on his own trying to mark two players whilst Lindelof is jogging around nowhere near anything. He doesn't even see Longstaff until he's taken a touch on the ball.
Look again , McT is jogging back. VNL is behind McT but is faster back to try cover. This is poor work ethic from McT and the one i really blame

Ekeke

Look again , McT is jogging back. VNL is behind McT but is faster back to try cover. This is poor work ethic from McT and the one i really blame
McTominay is 1 yard further back then AWB while Newcastle break on their left. Lindelof is another 5 or so yards further back. So no he isnt behind Lindelof.

Yes he is jogging back. Everyone is. The only person who gets back with significant speed is Shaw, and he only starts to run when the ball is played towards his side, until then he's jogging too

Fussmeister

McTominay is 1 yard further back then AWB while Newcastle break on their left. Lindelof is another 5 or so yards further back. So no he isnt behind Lindelof.

Yes he is jogging back. Everyone is. The only person who gets back with significant speed is Shaw, and he only starts to run when the ball is played towards his side, until then he's jogging too
at that screenshot yes, but look at the sequence please.

At that screenshot yes. But look where they are. VNL covers the winger and McT is closer to the player involved. McT does à piss poor job there. VNL is not really doing any better but he is not to blame here

But i agree Everyone is more or less jogging and not sensing any kind of danger .

Maguire is the only one doing ok here imo

kundalini

Coped surprisingly well with Burnley's aerial bombardment. At times it looked rather too easy for him. Did concede one stupid foul that allowed them to launch a free-kick into our area.

He'sRaldo

He was clearly physical today, so it definitely is a mental thing. Hopefully he can repeat that kind of showing in every game, strikers shouldn't be bullying him because he clearly is able to be physical.

Had quite a good game today.

Walters_19_MuFc

I thought despite losing against Watford, he competed with Deeney physically, who, even for the toughest defenders is a hard task. Today was the same. Was very good in the air against Barnes and Wood, who are renown for being great aerially. Good game from Lindelof. Played a fantastic ball to Martial, too.

A-man

Good game from the whole defence and it felt as it was under control except from a small patch in second half.
I thought despite losing against Watford, he competed with Deeney physically, who, even for the toughest defenders is a hard task. Today was the same. Was very good in the air against Barnes and Wood, who are renown for being great aerially. Good game from Lindelof. Played a fantastic ball to Martial, too.
It’s a bit of a myth that Lindelof is always bullied, that all teams will target him as he so weak and soft in the air etc.

Played well, though I don't think Burnley really asked many questions or really isolated our CBs.
I think the whole team played better defensively and a more compact defence. Of course getting the first goal helps in that aspect of the game, but I think already from the start, United didn’t sacrifice defence to attack.

RedDevilRoshi

Pre-match, he was my major worry as I thought Wood and that thug Barnes in particular were going to target and try to bully him. But he actually was the one that bullied them and didn’t give either of them a sniff. Some of his passes from the back were very good as well. Overall, a very good performance.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He was clearly physical today, so it definitely is a mental thing. Hopefully he can repeat that kind of showing in every game, strikers shouldn't be bullying him because he clearly is able to be physical.

Yes. Definitely a mentality issue. He has been way too soft in his approach this season, for a CB. Went in to the season of a bad preseason too. Maybe he can kick on from this, would be inspiring if so.

Bebestation

We were talking about this a couple days back & I reckon Lindelof will get Physical depending on the opposition but he has a mental issue.

Burnley are officially the most physical team in the PL playing 90's English football & Lindelof wouldn't have survived playing his 'normal' way.

He bought it on because he had to when playing against Burnley. When he plays against the other teams I believe he possibly forgets to bring it on or simply starts thinking too much about defending 'tactically & zonally & overly complicated' for his own good.

There's an element of simplicity to defending that you always see in the best of defenders & you very rarely see it in Lindelof.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don’t think he’s perfect by any stretch of the imagination and perhaps @Ekeke may have a point about his evident imperfections but I do actually see potential in him and I can see a player there. I don’t think it’s a coincidence how our ability to play out of the back has considerably improved this season with Maguire next to him, in my opinion we’re one of the strongest teams at playing it out of the back in the league (purely from the eye assessment, in fairness).

AR87

Lindelof isn't soft, I just think he doesn't know how to be physical at times. Today he was excellent but the unnecessary free kick he have away in extra time is an example of him not knowing how or when to be physical.

Very good performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.