Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Keane

Could be.

I suppose we have to play Maguire and so it's about finding the best partner for him.

I like Bailly for his speed and, to be honest, his ' rawness ' if we can call it that which I'm sure would go with Maguire. Admittedly he can't do much with the ball at his feet, but isn't that supposed to be one of the reasons we bought Maguire?
Under those circumstances, I don't see what the harm is in tying out a Maguire-Bailly partnership. Especially when the latter is likely to be avaliable for the first team soon enough.

Rojo I really like for his 101% no fannying around commitment. He's not everybody's taste, I know, but I like it and with Maguire he'd look and be much better than he was playing with Smalling and Jones.
To be fair to Rojo, its very hard to put in a good defensive performance when you are alongside Smalling or Jones.

Maybe Tuanzebe might be a good partner for Maguire - but we've still got to find out that one.
If he can stay fit, I could see Tuanzebe working well alongside Maguire (similar to how he did well with Mings in the Championship). Certainly I would rather give him a chance over someone like Lindelof or Jones.

criticalanalysis

Your user name is criticalanalysis, then you come out with tired and lazy stereotypes.
Those are the least controversial assessments of those players you can get. I'd put my neck out there that most of the Caf would find it fairly agreeable. The same they would probably agree Lindelof does not have elite qualities to offset his reactionary/backtracking style of play.

Bobski

To be fair to Rojo, its very hard to put in a good defensive performance when you are alongside Smalling or Jones.
Did Smalling and Jones force Rojo to launch two footers at opponents. Rojo is to blame for his own failings, trying to force culpability onto the usual suspects is so last year.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A player that wants to play for the club, is a decent CB and the fans want to get rid.

We need more personalities like him at the club. It is a shame most fans actually want him gone.
“Decent cb”

Define decent. He’s nowhere near good enough to be a starting CB for a team that wants to challenge for league titles.

Teffe

“Decent cb”

Define decent. He’s nowhere near good enough to be a starting CB for a team that wants to challenge for league titles.
How many in todays United do you think is good enough compared to City and Pool?In my book, theres 6 other positions needing upgrading before Lindelof. Williams, Greenwood, Mctominay etc looks really promising for the future but still years before they are good enough to be starters in a challenging team.
I also believe Lindelof is a hard worker in training and a great character off the pitch.

golden_blunder

Staff
How many in todays United do you think is good enough compared to City and Pool?In my book, theres 6 other positions needing upgrading before Lindelof. Williams, Greenwood, Mctominay etc looks really promising for the future but still years before they are good enough to be starters in a challenging team.
I also believe Lindelof is a hard worker in training and a great character off the pitch.
People say the same about lingard and mata. Doesn’t mean we should keep them all around.

There are loads of positions that need upgrades but lindelof for sure is maybe not on the urgent list but provably the next list of priorities

romufc

We are not a team challenging for titles though, and there are number of positions that need to be looked at to get top 4 secured first.

Exactly, comparing him to Lingard is different because Lindelof does produce, many fans have an agenda against him so cannot see that.

There are loads of positions that need upgrades but lindelof for sure is maybe not on the urgent list but provably the next list of priorities
We cannot have a team of 11 world class players, it will not happen.

We can all talk about he isnt good enough for a title challenge however; City won the title with Otamendi starting, ZInchenko at LB so people need to spare this theory of Lindelof is not good enough for a title challenge.

Liverpool have Matip, Lovren and Gomez starting CB, they aint world class.

golden_blunder

Staff
We are not a team challenging for titles though, and there are number of positions that need to be looked at to get top 4 secured first.

Exactly, comparing him to Lingard is different because Lindelof does produce, many fans have an agenda against him so cannot see that.

We cannot have a team of 11 world class players, it will not happen.

We can all talk about he isnt good enough for a title challenge however; City won the title with Otamendi starting, ZInchenko at LB so people need to spare this theory of Lindelof is not good enough for a title challenge.

Liverpool have Matip, Lovren and Gomez starting CB, they aint world class.
And Liverpool wouldn’t win the league either with those - until they went out and upgraded to VVD

arthurka

He is not a good defender and that should be enough for us to judge him on. Our defense is soft and not authoritarian by any stretch, we have been playing them together all season with the same result. He also played most games last season with terrible results, he is the only player to play most games both of these seasons and sadly it´s clear that he is a huge part of the problem.

golden_blunder

Staff
“Lindelof does produce, many fans have an agenda against him so cannot see that”

Produces what? Stinkers all over the pitch? Little puddles of piss from where he’s pissing his pants when people run at him or when the ball is in the air? He’s our worst CB since Pruiner wore the jersey!

romufc

And Liverpool wouldn’t win the league either with those - until they went out and upgraded to VVD
Yes, they got VVD and we got Maguire.

Not saying they are the same as VVD is the better player.

Are you saying Maguire, Lindelof are the same quality as Matip and Lovren?

golden_blunder

Staff

Maguire is better imho
Matip is better than lindelof
Lovren v Lindelof is debatable
He’s just not a good defender
Btw VVD is miles ahead of Maguire

romufc

Maguire is better imho
Matip is better than lindelof
Lovren v Lindelof is debatable
He’s just not a good defender
Btw VVD is miles ahead of Maguire
VVD might be miles ahead of Maguire but lets be honest, Liverpool back 4 get alot of protection.

Manutd back 4 get feck all protection.

Comparing players when one team is flying and one team is finding its feet is unfair.

For the time being Lindelof is ok. We need to focus on midfield and forwards before looking to upgrade defence again.

Currently, I think we could have the 2nd best defence in the league if we can get better quality elsewhere.

elánius

Maguire is good defender, but has his limits, f. e. speed or positioning, Lindelof is just Sunday league tier player and has absolutly no place in team like MUTD.

So I would rate Maguire higher than Matip and Lovren, but they are both better than Lindelof. He still didnt show a single strong ability after two and half seasons with us and our defensive record is abysmall with him as the player who played the most for last two seasons. I am still sad that LvG sold Evans..

romufc

Maguire is good defender, but has his limits, f. e. speed or positioning, Lindelof is just Sunday league tier player and has absolutly no place in team like MUTD.

So I would rate Maguire higher than Matip and Lovren, but they are both better than Lindelof. He still didnt show a single strong ability after two and half seasons with us and our defensive record is abysmall with him as the player who played the most for last two seasons. I am still sad that LvG sold Evans..
How many defenders across Europe are better than Maguire? Not many, a handful.

We can all comment about Lindelof but until we get better protection for the defence, our record will always be terrible.

We have actually had a better defensive record in terms of chances conceded. Lots of goals conceded this season have been individual mistakes from players.

King_Cantona07

VVD might be miles ahead of Maguire but lets be honest, Liverpool back 4 get alot of protection.

Manutd back 4 get feck all protection.

Comparing players when one team is flying and one team is finding its feet is unfair.

For the time being Lindelof is ok. We need to focus on midfield and forwards before looking to upgrade defence again.

Currently, I think we could have the 2nd best defence in the league if we can get better quality elsewhere.
VVD is not lot better than Maguire. Its the liverpool system which makes him look good, take out the DMs and will see VVD making mistakes once a while. He still has mistakes in him which gets either masked or covered by their brilliant team tactic.

elánius

How many defenders across Europe are better than Maguire? Not many, a handful.

We can all comment about Lindelof but until we get better protection for the defence, our record will always be terrible.

We have actually had a better defensive record in terms of chances conceded. Lots of goals conceded this season have been individual mistakes from players.
I dont know actually, from top of my head I would say many , f. e. VvD, Varane, Ramos, Koulibaly, Chiellini, Bonucci, Laporte, Silva, Marquinhos, Sule.. and those are just from top teams. I would actually rank current Evans higher than Maguire, because Maguire is just big and strong hummer, but Evans is also very strong, but he is also very fast and he is definitely stronger with the ball.

I agree that we doesnt protect our defence well (its connected with my opinion that McTominay is not even an average player), but we also lack leaders and our communication is just not there, every player usually focus on himself with his head between his legs. But we will never actually know how good our defence is, if we play with players like Lindelof. What is his key or at least ability? Is he strong? Hell no. Good in the air? Double hell no. Positioning? Not even close. Leader? No. Fast? No. Good with ball? Not really. He is just Mourinho´s biggest mistake in the market and for some reason, he is complete opposite of Bailly. I would say he is beyong average but he is not even that.

VVD is not lot better than Maguire. Its the liverpool system which makes him look good, take out the DMs and will see VVD making mistakes once a while. He still has mistakes in him which gets either masked or covered by their brilliant team tactic.
Dude, this statement is just comic. Look at Liverpool defence without VvD and with him (season 2017/18) and then talk about their system. He was instant improvement and from tier potato defence they became on of the best in the world.

Last edited:

romufc

Exactly, people forget that VVD is being protected and the way Liverpool play and press he hardly gets exposed whereas Maguire and Lindelof are exposed like 10 times a game.

VVD has made mistakes this season, but they get away with it. Every player makes mistakes.

romufc

I dont know actually, from top of my head I would say many , f. e. VvD, Varane, Ramos, Koulibaly, Chiellini, Bonucci, Laporte, Silva, Marquinhos, Sule.. and those are just from top teams. I would actually rank current Evans higher than Maguire, because Maguire is just big and strong hummer, but Evans is also very strong, but he is also very fast and he is definitely stronger with the ball.

I agree that we doesnt protect our defence well (its connected with my opinion that McTominay is not even an average player), but we also lack leaders and our communication is just not there, every player usually focus on himself with his head between his legs. But we will never actually know how good our defence is, if we play with players like Lindelof. What is his key or at least ability? Is he strong? Hell no. Good in the air? Double hell no. Positioning? Not even close. Leader? No. Fast? No. Good with ball? Not really. He is just Mourinho´s biggest mistake in the market and for some reason, he is complete opposite of Bailly. I would say he is beyong average but he is not even that.

Dude, this statement is just comic. Look at Liverpool defence without VvD and with him (season 2017/18) and then talk about their system. He was instant improvement and from tier potato defence they became on of the best in the wordl.
Of the ones you have mentioned, there was no chance in us getting any of those CB's, Sule has only played 8 games this season, have you seen Bayern's defensive record?

Out of those mentioned 4 are above the age of 31 as well. Maguire is better than Evans, come of it. I like what you have done, complain that Maguire is slow but mention SIlva, Cheillini, Bonucci, Marquinos who are just as slow if not slower.

Lindelof will be fine for the time being, there is absolutely no point spending £50 plus on a CB when we can spend that money elsewhere.

mancan92

Wait did you see liverpool's defence before and after VVD? It is night and day. Literally it went from super dodgy to the best in the world.

A-man

He is not a good defender and that should be enough for us to judge him on. Our defense is soft and not authoritarian by any stretch, we have been playing them together all season with the same result. He also played most games last season with terrible results, he is the only player to play most games both of these seasons and sadly it´s clear that he is a huge part of the problem.
I think the “terrible” is a little misused here. Not many teams that have conceded less goals than United so far.
What shows the potential is the result against the best teams. If we look at the matches against the four teams higher up in the table:

Liverpool 1-1
Leicester 1-0
City 2-1
Chelsea 4-0
Total 8-2, that is 2 conceded goals against the four best teams.
This shows there is potential. You can’t get away with this good results against all these good teams with luck or poor players. Need to improve and change some things, plus a better midfield and they will also win matches where they dominate.

Bobski

Thought he did well today and was much more secure than Maguire, who also defers to him as an initiator of attacks.

Last edited:

A-man

First half:
Ok defending
2 Very good long balls and 1 really good through ball but at the same time 1 or 2 poor short passes in dangerous area.

Second half:
Very good all over.

Played a bit tougher than normal.Bullied Traoré.

Liverpool 2:0 Man Utd

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
One of the worst performances I've seen in a long time.

Absolutely terrible player who doesn't have anywhere near quality to be in our first team. I can't understand anyone who watches him closely and say he is good enough to play in top team, I would go and say he is not even a premierleague top10 quality either.

He shies away from any duel, he gives forwards so much space it must be great playing against him, he is absolutely a nothing player who succeeded based on doing nothing which makes him shy of big mistakes for that reason too. Gave away two goals today(which were luckily ruled out) and many many great goalscoring chances for them.

I can't describe how mad I am to see this kind of player in our lineup.

Eugenius

At fault for two disallowed goals and gave the ball away to their attackers three times in the first half. He’s not a young player, needs to start games well.

Status
Not open for further replies.