Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

edcunited1878

He didn't do anything wrong today and kept Kane and Son quiet. Everything that Spurs did well from an attacking sense was from Maguire's side. McTominay and Fred were pulled all over the place, but christ you swear it was Lindelof who got turned and dribbled past.

He had a Spurs player behind him and had way too much space to cover once he committed. Not even prime Rio would have covered that much ground to cut the angle off.

Based Adnan

You're deluded. A good centre back covers for his partner, Lindelof just watches as Macguire gets beat. This has been happening all season long.

There's a reason why he's the only defender hauled off this game.
Yeah, his injury. Certainly not this nonsense you've posted.

A-man

Was facing some decent attacking players but was never dribbled or anything. Think he was fine, but you could see they haven’t played for some months.

Red00012

You're deluded. A good centre back covers for his partner, Lindelof just watches as Macguire gets beat. This has been happening all season long.

There's a reason why he's the only defender hauled off this game.
I’m not a big fan of his Actually I don’t rate him at all but you can’t blame him for the goal . That’s on Maguire and him trying to show him the wing :houllier:

He was taken off because of an injury.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He was alright today, but yeah as the CB partner he has to come in and shut down Bergwijn as it was clear from the start the space opened up inside him and Maguire. Maguire the first fault with positioning and being flat footed, lindelof the 2nd, de gea the biggest.

Not sure what his injury was though.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is trash. Never got hold of the game and really struggled to be proactive against Kane. Always giving away corners, heading the ball to the opposition, failing to clear the ball properly and generally just giving the ball away to the opposition in a pretty dangerous positions at least once every game.

Getting outpaced, out-thought and out-muscled by attackers on a weekly basis isn't a good look for a defender. He isn't exactly creating anything when going forward either. Just the slow and predictable passing we have been used to for years.

kundalini

My main criticism of Lindelof would be that our build-up play was far too slow and that he should be taking more responsibility, rather than giving the ball to Maguire, who then carries the ball forwards before passing to Shaw, by which time Spurs are in perfect defensive shape. Hard to justify his selection if he isn't making the most of his strengths.

If you examine the goals we have conceded in the PL so far this season, Lindelof is at fault for Palace's first goal when he lost the initial header, beaten in the air for Southampton's goal and to a lesser extent, the own goal against Everton when De Gea's weak punch struck him, his poor body position not helping the situation. That's far fewer than Maguire has been at fault for, or De Gea. Similar number to Wan-Bissaka.

Last edited:

Grande

He is trash. Never got hold of the game and really struggled to be proactive against Kane. Always giving away corners, heading the ball to the opposition, failing to clear the ball properly and generally just giving the ball away to the opposition in a pretty dangerous positions at least once every game.

Getting outpaced, out-thought and out-muscled by attackers on a weekly basis isn't a good look for a defender. He isn't exactly creating anything when going forward either. Just the slow and predictable passing we have been used to for years.
Exactly how many times did Haroldus Kane out-anythinh Lindelöf this game? Sure your memory isn’t making a meal out of that one weak screening that gave away a corner? He was by far our best CB today, not that I don’t have higher hopes for Maguire and an injury-free (as if) Bailly.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
this guy doesn't offer anything which Blind did not offer. Perfect year for an upgrade. Just sign someone who can play with Maguire.

yan man utd

Have to agree... He simply isn’t imposing enough, and he doesn’t compliment Maguire. If Maguire is going to be our ‘organiser / first defender’ then you need someone who can either compliment him with aggressive anticipation or to be reactive and pacy enough to cover for him. He seems too passive and like a poor mans maguire. I mean, as a striker who would you rather face? Lindelof or Bailly/ Smalling? Easy answer!

SATA

What did Jose or the scouting team see him at Benfica that made us bought him? It’s a complete waste of money. Bailly for me should be Maguire’s permanent partner from now till the end to the season

:lol:

Kane didn't get a sniff all game. The goal we conceded came from Maguire and De Gea making a mistake. There are plenty of games to criticise Lindelof in but this was not one of them.

A-man

Kane was totally deleted this match
What did Jose or the scouting team see him at Benfica that made us bought him? It’s a complete waste of money. Bailly for me should be Maguire’s permanent partner from now till the end to the season
He closed down England’s first striker totally. Most coaches appreciate that kind of defending. Maybe his style looks passive to some, but if the result is that Kane got one shot which was blocked, during the whole game, that’s effective enough.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I just don't rate him. He's way too timid, poor in the air and a bit weak. He's definitely one I'd be looking to upgrade.

SmallCaine

Yeah, feck the fact that he didn't get dribbled once in the game and that Spurs with Kane and Son had one decent chance in whole game (except goal). He needs to do flashy box to box runs with the ball
You clearly have no clue about centre backs. A cb isn't a good cb unless he does something flashy, last ditch challenges, carrying the ball forward leaving a huge gap in defense so you can make a 5 yard pass to the winger or FB. These are things that make a great cb. Who needs cb's who position themselves well and so don't need flashy tackles to get them out of trouble.

What we needed yesterday was for lindelof to see the future, he should have known that bergwin might end up with a lucky possession, that shaw might get caught out of position, that our 80mn signing will then proceed to $hit the bed and our 2nd highest paid player will cost us another goal. Had we had a good player he would have seen these things coming and we might have won the game.

Kag

There was something quite symbolic about the moment he was given a gentle nudge in the back by Kane and accidentally stumbled the ball out for a corner. It was in the first half and it was very weak. I’m not convinced at all. Bailly, for all his injury troubles and rashness, is a more proactive defender and a better fit for our back line.

jamesjimmybyrondean

You clearly have no clue about centre backs. A cb isn't a good cb unless he does something flashy, last ditch challenges, carrying the ball forward leaving a huge gap in defense so you can make a 5 yard pass to the winger or FB. These are things that make a great cb. Who needs cb's who position themselves well and so don't need flashy tackles to get them out of trouble.

What we needed yesterday was for lindelof to see the future, he should have known that bergwin might end up with a lucky possession, that shaw might get caught out of position, that our 80mn signing will then proceed to $hit the bed and our 2nd highest paid player will cost us another goal. Had we had a good player he would have seen these things coming and we might have won the game.
Isn't there a better way to phrase this :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Chris Smalling has been Manchester United’s best centre half for the last 7 years.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
There was something quite symbolic about the moment he was given a gentle nudge in the back by Kane and accidentally stumbled the ball out for a corner. It was in the first half and it was very weak. I’m not convinced at all. Bailly, for all his injury troubles and rashness, is a more proactive defender and a better fit for our back line.
Defenders always go down in those situations and get a foul. If it wasn't Lindelof everybody would be pissed on ref. But because it was Lindelof then it is his fault.
He has better season than our 80mil super slow captain but still from first minute in a match thread people moan how we need to replace him.

Kag

Defenders always go down in those situations and get a foul. If it wasn't Lindelof everybody would be pissed on ref. But because it was Lindelof then it is his fault.
He has better season than our 80mil super slow captain but still from first minute in a match thread people moan how we need to replace him.
It was weak defending that resulted in a corner. I watched Ferdinand deal with that sort of thing for years. I bet you did, too. It’s fruitless justification on your part.

Maguire has been significantly better than Lindelof; I don’t think that’s up for any real debate. I don’t dislike Lindelof; he’s alright. But I can shake the feeling that he’s our Skrtel to Liverpool’s Vidic (Van Dijk). Decent, but ultimately not enough.

Mickson

He just doesn't do much, does he? Just seem to be passive and backing away all the time. How many challenges does he do during a game compared to other CBs? Any statistician? He doesn't get dribbled by, but does he actually try to take the ball from someone?

Cloud7

It is a good sign when you don't notice defender. Means that he is doing his stuff good and simple.
Man, i wish that he is playing in pair with Smalling. Me and @Ekeke would be fighting after very match. ;)
Not that I'm talking about Lindelof specifically with this point, but that isn't exactly true. We always noticed a bit of great reading of the game when Rio did it, or an excellent tackle from Vidic. I wouldn't say it's true that it's a good sign when you don't notice a defender.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It was weak defending that resulted in a corner. I watched Ferdinand deal with that sort of thing for years. I bet you did, too. It’s fruitless justification on your part.

Maguire has been significantly better than Lindelof; I don’t think that’s up for any real debate. I don’t dislike Lindelof; he’s alright. But I can shake the feeling that he’s our Skrtel to Liverpool’s Vidic (Van Dijk). Decent, but ultimately not enough.
Funny how you mentioned Vida and Rio. That is the thing. I always preferred Rio. Harry and Victor are far from those two but it is similiar partnership. Harry is a leader and more physical. Lindelof is defender who resolves situations with his smart positioning. As i said many times; when he was dribbled by some player? Or outpaced? He has weakness that he is not that good in the air and i admit that. But again, he compensate that with positioning. For example Phil Jones is stronger than Victor but is losing headers because his positioning is shit.

I fully understand some criticsm. He is not world class and of course that some fans don't like him. We fans at the moment are literally divided regarding every player except Bruno. Martial, Pogba, AWB, De gea.....one poster thinks that they are great and other wants them replaced. It is normal among fans when club don't have results.
But i can't accept criticsm when they are bs. You have posters who say that Lindelof is slow. That is huge bs. In a game against Liverpool he had 50m sprint against Origi and he outpaced him. Sure Origi is not super fast but he is not slow either. When any attacker outpaced him? Maybe few times in whole season.

Utdstar01

This infuriated me. He's weak as piss. Lindelof and Maguire as a pairing don't suit eachother. Both have no acceleration and are prone to get burned up against anybody with pace or acceleration. IMO, our best defensive performance this season came against chelsea when we played Bailly and Maguire together.

A-man

Bailly is opposite of proactive, he is very much a reactive player. One of his biggest weaknesses is his poor positioning. He often leaves huge gaps behind him when he pushing forward, and players like to run in behind him

He just doesn't do much, does he? Just seem to be passive and backing away all the time. How many challenges does he do during a game compared to other CBs? Any statistician? He doesn't get dribbled by, but does he actually try to take the ball from someone?
His style is very passive, for good and for bad. He doesn’t attack the player but stops him by covering and forces him to pass the ball instead. He needs to improve the more aggressive style and use it when needed. Anyway, yesterday there basically no chances created in/around his “zone” so it’s not totally ineffective.

But i can't accept criticsm when they are bs. You have posters who say that Lindelof is slow. That is huge bs. In a game against Liverpool he had 50m sprint against Origi and he outpaced him. Sure Origi is not super fast but he is not slow either. When any attacker outpaced him? Maybe few times in whole season.
Last season, Origi was measured as fastest Liverpool player and number 8 overall in PL. That was top speed.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
We really need an upgrade on him in the near future.

Jaxa

I think he would usually but theres one massive problem with that, Bailly can't keep fit for 5 minutes, never mind 8 games or a season, I completely agree that Bailly should partner Maguire but just as Bailly is starting to looks really solid he gets a stupid injury and is out for 2 months, I think we need to go into the market for a new CB or try Mengi there because Axel is the exact same problem as Bailly, there both made out of glass at times.

Kostov

:lol:

Kane didn't get a sniff all game. The goal we conceded came from Maguire and De Gea making a mistake. There are plenty of games to criticise Lindelof in but this was not one of them.
Kane didn’t get a sniff because Maguire dominated him all game, the few times he got joy was when he went through Lindelof.

The Original

It is a good sign when you don't notice defender. Means that he is doing his stuff good and simple.
Man, i wish that he is playing in pair with Smalling. Me and @Ekeke would be fighting after very match. ;)
I am not sure I agree with the logic there. If you don't notice a defender it means the opposition are not attacking meaningfully. And if they aren't that is more due to the midfield making life difficult for them or them not being that good. No matter how clever a defender is, if he's getting involved you're going to notice him.

He didn't do anything wrong today and kept Kane and Son quiet. Everything that Spurs did well from an attacking sense was from Maguire's side. McTominay and Fred were pulled all over the place, but christ you swear it was Lindelof who got turned and dribbled past.

He had a Spurs player behind him and had way too much space to cover once he committed. Not even prime Rio would have covered that much ground to cut the angle off.
Wan Bissaka was right behind him too. His priority obviously should have been to sprint over to cover the space behind Maguire the moment he got beaten. He hesitated and when he did come across he didn't do so with enough conviction.

You also watched Rio mistime things and get caught out because he couldnt recover, especially in his early years. People forget how fecking frustrating he could be when he first arrived.

Lindelof will probably never be as good as him but defenders who rely on positioning will always risk getting caught out. On the flip side, they're usually far more effective than players who rely solely on physical aspects.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Kane didn’t get a sniff because Maguire dominated him all game, the few times he got joy was when he went through Lindelof.
This reminds me on that period when our attackers were scoring goals because Lingard opened space in penalty box with his clever movement.
Lindelof is saving Maguire's ass in every game by covering all that space which he leaves in defence. For a slow player Maguire should stay much nearer our penalty box instead going in "Pirlo mode" and trying to dictate tempo.

Strats

Don't understand the critisism, he was fine last night.

However, its still debatable if he's the right man to have next to Maguire in the long run.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yeah, this is the thing. He isn't particularly good at anything. Even his strengths is mostly just meh. He doesn't seem to have the personality of a defender. He doesn't seem to enjoy defending, nor does he strike me as a leader.

I didn't notice that much wrong in the game from him yesterday, he is invisible but I also know that our team needs reinforcements because it is not a completed team. So what is wrong with our team? Shaw, Bissaka, and Maguire are all very good defensively and yet they rightly receive a fair bit of criticism for their contribution to us struggling to make top 4. Lindelof isn't getting the same level of scrutiny because we aren't expecting as much from him, but at the same time, this guy is still starting games week in week out like a real first teamer. How are we not supposed to point out the weak link even if he doesn't make a huge mess each time, is it not players of his level of quality that's still holding us back? He has been an average 20m signing since Mou brought him along only to not play him. Club has been a mess and while that is not Lindelof's fault, he just doesn't belong at this level.

The Original

This reminds me on that period when our attackers were scoring goals because Lingard opened space in penalty box with his clever movement.
Lindelof is saving Maguire's ass in every game by covering all that space which he leaves in defence. For a slow player Maguire should stay much nearer our penalty box instead going in "Pirlo mode" and trying to dictate tempo.
could you give examples?

Based Adnan

Usual suspects up in arms over nothing as usual in here

Was fine yesterday, kept Kane completely quiet

Foxbatt

I think they are both too slow to play together. Lindelof gets beaten too easily. Yes earlier he has played brilliantly in some games but with AWB normally switching off too once the CBs get beaten for pace or get the space to run at them we are always in trouble.

edcunited1878

I am not sure I agree with the logic there. If you don't notice a defender it means the opposition are not attacking meaningfully. And if they aren't that is more due to the midfield making life difficult for them or them not being that good. No matter how clever a defender is, if he's getting involved you're going to notice him.

Wan Bissaka was right behind him too. His priority obviously should have been to sprint over to cover the space behind Maguire the moment he got beaten. He hesitated and when he did come across he didn't do so with enough conviction.
Wan Bissaka was behind the Spurs player and Lindelof has to cover the Spurs player's run and the space behind him for the square ball across the face. That was a very large gap to close and to fault him is wrong. Maguire was completely skinned. Think people are desperate to blame Vic just because they want to continue to paint of poor light on him as a player

Status
Not open for further replies.