Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
There was something quite symbolic about the moment he was given a gentle nudge in the back by Kane and accidentally stumbled the ball out for a corner. It was in the first half and it was very weak. I’m not convinced at all. Bailly, for all his injury troubles and rashness, is a more proactive defender and a better fit for our back line.
i prefer him too. I think Lindelof was bought for his ability on the ball but Maguire is better at that aspect and we don’t really need 2 ball players. Bailly is fast and aggressive and has that fear factor clearing house all over the shop. The thing about Bailly is he’s a nutter and there’s a big mistake in him every few matches. If he could get some constancy he’s still got a tonne of potential.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The criticism is undeserved. You'd think he's the one that cost the goal. I can already see him becoming overly criticised by the CAF joining Martial and Pogba on the list. One thing for sure though is he doesn't complement Maguire but he's definitely our second best CB

criticalanalysis

I said in the thread asking, who should be third midfielder to partner Pogba/Bruno that if that happens, we'll likely see your Maguires and Lindelof more exposed because it will no longer be two hard midfielders sitting in front of them.

That will highlight the weakneses of them both and show who's going to take more responsibility when we're likely to play a higher line, or take a hold of those 1-on-1 situations. On top of that, we'll need more ball playing ability from them.

Anyways, basically the point I'm making is that Lindelof's passive style will stick out like sore thumb.

Last edited:

Fussmeister

There was something quite symbolic about the moment he was given a gentle nudge in the back by Kane and accidentally stumbled the ball out for a corner. It was in the first half and it was very weak. I’m not convinced at all. Bailly, for all his injury troubles and rashness, is a more proactive defender and a better fit for our back line.
Bailly proactive? He is the opposite, he would be totalt fekked without his speed.

VNL always looks scared and he makes me nervous

The Original

Wan Bissaka was behind the Spurs player and Lindelof has to cover the Spurs player's run and the space behind him for the square ball across the face. That was a very large gap to close and to fault him is wrong. Maguire was completely skinned. Think people are desperate to blame Vic just because they want to continue to paint of poor light on him as a player
It's obvious that Maguire totally was at fault and I don't think there has been any Utd defender in recent history as easy to dribble as he has proved to be - this is not the first time.

But being an elite defender means having the mental and physical prowess to cover for your partner.

This was an identical situation to when Bailly made that tackle on Kovacic in the last Chelsea game and that's what you want to see.

As is I'm not pleased with either of them but at least Maguire has redeeming qualities.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think they are both too slow to play together. Lindelof gets beaten too easily. Yes earlier he has played brilliantly in some games but with AWB normally switching off too once the CBs get beaten for pace or get the space to run at them we are always in trouble.
Wrong and wrong. For central defender Lindelof is quick. According to stats not because i think/see that. In one game against Wolves he was our fastest player on the pitch (35.17). I really don't know why some of you keep repeating that he is slow. Say that he is shit, weak, bad and championship player but why to make shit up?
And do you know how many times he was beaten this season? Two times. He had a run of 20+ games without being dribbled by someone.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wrong and wrong. For central defender Lindelof is quick. According to stats not because i think/see that. In one game against Wolves he was our fastest player on the pitch (35.17). I really don't know why some of you keep repeating that he is slow. Say that he is shit, weak, bad and championship player but why to make shit up?
And do you know how many times he was beaten this season? Two times. He had a run of 20+ games without being dribbled by someone.
I feel that he isn't agile and therefore slow to turn but when he is in the right direction he is relatively quick.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I feel that he isn't agile and therefore slow to turn but when he is in the right direction he is relatively quick.
Sure, he is not agile like Bailly for example. I agree. But he is still agile enough. And i will repeat; i am aware that he must be stronger but i am perfectly happy with his partnership with Harry. Harry is super slow and i think that we could have spent that money better but he is the king of penalty box and has good leadership. Lindelof is excellent in wide space and both are pretty good with the ball and both are calm players. After 7 years with Jones, Smalling and Rojo this duo makes me very happy.

Kostov

This reminds me on that period when our attackers were scoring goals because Lingard opened space in penalty box with his clever movement.
Lindelof is saving Maguire's ass in every game by covering all that space which he leaves in defence. For a slow player Maguire should stay much nearer our penalty box instead going in "Pirlo mode" and trying to dictate tempo.
Like he covered for his ass for the goal last night? What you are saying is laughable. Lindelof is such an ordinary weak as a piss CB that shits his pants every game. Maguire defended superbly last night and despite the mistake for the goal he was miles better than Lindelof.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Won't win a title with him and Maguire as a CB pairing so a decision needs to be made soon. They don't suit each other at all. Both want the ball and neither have much pace. Lindelof is quite poor in the air too which always worries me.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Like he covered for his ass for the goal last night? What you are saying is laughable. Lindelof is such an ordinary weak as a piss CB that shits his pants every game. Maguire defended superbly last night and despite the mistake for the goal he was miles better than Lindelof.
Yeah, right. He literally cost us two points there but yeah, he was superb. Bargain for 80 mil.

Lindelof is better defender than Maguire. And you think what you want.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Won't win a title with him and Maguire as a CB pairing so a decision needs to be made soon. They don't suit each other at all. Both want the ball and neither have much pace. Lindelof is quite poor in the air too which always worries me.
Don't agree. Our defence is one of the best in the league whichever way you look at it. Going forward is where we need to improve more.

Berbaclass

Watching this and its clear as day Maguire needs a pacey defender beside him. Baily gets that anytime any day.
It's alright having pace but Bailly is too much of a loose cannon and injury-prone. Lindelof is much more measured and adept with the ball. He's seriously underrated on here.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Thats simply not true. We have one of the best defences in the league. Especially if you compare to Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. Our back 5 DeGea, AWB, Lindelöf, Maguire, Shaw is actually the best we had since Fergusons last season. (Maybe because we spent like £130m on it last summer)

I dont get why Lindelöf gets so much stick on here. He’s been one of the most consistent players this season. And yesterday again. I think we have 30 goals made and conceded only 3 goals in the last 12 games.

I think the Lindelöf-Maguire partnership will continue to grow and if we can get Sancho we Will be challenging next season.

And yes, I see all the love for Bailly on here. But we need to be realistic here. A partnership can only be build if they play every week together. And Bailly is not that man I am sorry. He seems to be a very nice guy but too much injuries.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

It's alright having pace but Bailly is too much of a loose cannon and injury-prone. Lindelof is much more measured and adept with the ball. He's seriously underrated on here.
I think Lindelof is our most reliable after Maguire. Just that he doesn't complement Maguire well

Berbaclass

I think Lindelof is our most reliable after Maguire. Just that he doesn't complement Maguire well
We've conceded 3 goals in 12 games. I'm not sure what more you want. We have one of the best defensive records in the league.

Everyone calls him weak and various other stuff but he was arguably our best defender last year without Maguire. This season with Maguire we've been very solid. People have this pre-formed option that they don't like him or whatever and we need to spend 100m on another CB but we really don't. He's more than good enough. In some people's eyes his just cant win.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Don't agree. Our defence is one of the best in the league whichever way you look at it. Going forward is where we need to improve more.
Our attack needs to improve too no question. We are nearly 40pts off Liverpool for a reason.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Thats simply not true. We have one of the best defences in the league. Especially if you compare to Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. Our back 5 DeGea, AWB, Lindelöf, Maguire, Shaw is actually the best we had since Fergusons last season. (Maybe because we spent like £130m on it last summer)

I dont get why Lindelöf gets so much stick on here. He’s been one of the most consistent players this season. And yesterday again. I think we have 30 goals made and conceded only 3 goals in the last 12 games.

I think the Lindelöf-Maguire partnership will continue to grow and if we can get Sancho we Will be challenging next season.

And yes, I see all the love for Bailly on here. But we need to be realistic here. A partnership can only be build if they play every week together. And Bailly is not that man I am sorry. He seems to be a very nice guy but too much injuries.
What's not true though? We are 40pts off top spot hence we can't be good enough can we?

Lindelof isn't a terrible player individually but he's not a good fit with Maguire. No pace in that backline.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We've conceded 3 goals in 12 games. I'm not sure what more you want. We have one of the best defensive records in the league.

Everyone calls him weak and various other stuff but he was arguably our best defender last year without Maguire. This season with Maguire we've been very solid. People have this pre-formed option that they don't like him or whatever and we need to spend 100m on another CB but we really don't. He's more than good enough. In some people's eyes his just cant win.
Saying I'm not sure what more I want when we've conceded 31 in 30 games. What I want is for us to go back to Europe's elite and I don't see Lindelof getting into any of Europe's elite starting 11.

Berbaclass

What's not true though? We are 40pts off top spot hence we can't be good enough can we?

Lindelof isn't a terrible player individually but he's not a good fit with Maguire. No pace in that backline.
Lindelof is absolutely quick enough. He wouldn't have been burned like Maguire the other night. He's shown he can keep pace with quick players.

Berbaclass

Saying I'm not sure what more I want when we've conceded 31 in 30 games. What I want is for us to go back to Europe's elite and I don't see Lindelof getting into any of Europe's elite starting 11.
Only Liverpool and Leicester and Sheffield have better records.

Scoring only 45 goals is the problem.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Lindelof is absolutely quick enough. He wouldn't have been burned like Maguire the other night. He's shown he can keep pace with quick players.
So Maguire is the weak link then in your eyes?

There videos galore of Lindelof getting done in behind mate and letting the ball bounce. Still have nightmares of the Huddersfield game.

We won't win a title with the current back 5. The keeper seems to have lost his magic touch. Shaw is still carrying too much weight and offers nothing offensively. AWB is terrific defensively but lacking offensively also. Maguire and Lindelof just don't convince me as a pairing at all.

Berbaclass

So Maguire is the weak link then in your eyes?

There videos galore of Lindelof getting done in behind mate and letting the ball bounce. Still have nightmares of the Huddersfield game.

We won't win a title with the current back 5. The keeper seems to have lost his magic touch. Shaw is still carrying too much weight and offers nothing offensively. AWB is terrific defensively but lacking offensively also. Maguire and Lindelof just don't convince me as a pairing at all.
Let's see them then...

Kostov

Yeah, right. He literally cost us two points there but yeah, he was superb. Bargain for 80 mil.

Lindelof is better defender than Maguire. And you think what you want.
:lol:

Yes, Maguire cost us the 2 points, despite Rashford losing a stupid ball, Fred failing to stop the runner just as much as Maguire, Lindelof failing to cover the only runner to the goal, and DDG making a shocking mistake. Lindelof is an average CB who does feck all most of the time, claiming he is a better defender than Maguire is laughable. The only argument some of you have on Maguire is that he cost us 80m, blame the morons that thought buying Lindelof for 40m was a better option than Maguire for 20 or Skriniar in the same summer.

He'sRaldo

Only Liverpool and Leicester and Sheffield have better records.

Scoring only 45 goals is the problem.
Part of that stems from playing limited players to protect the defence.

If the defence was more dominant, we could afford more attackers on the pitch, resulting in more goals with the same clean sheets.

Paul_Scholes18

If the defence was more dominant, we could afford more attackers on the pitch, resulting in more goals with the same clean sheets.
I think the problem is more tactical rather than who plays. Pep got worse defenders than what we got and still have played expansive football.

Berbaclass

So when teams sit deep against us and we can't break them down it's because of our vulnerable (according to you) defence?

It's more to do with the fact that we don't have creative players on the pitch (Pogba injury) and a clinical striker. When Bruno came in and was the source of the creativity we looked much better, it wasn't a coincidence.

Saying we need to play limited players is garbage. Without Pogba in the team, we basically had no one in midfield that could create until Bruno came in. That's not the same as sacrificing attacking players for more defensively minded players so don't try and spin it like that.

De Gea, AWB, Lindelof and Maguire have been the players with the most minutes this season and as a unit has been very solid. Backed up by the stats. They've held up their end but the creative players haven't.

He'sRaldo

I think the problem is more tactical rather than who plays. Pep got worse defenders than what we got and still have played expansive football.
True that is another aspect of it. But it's two-fold rather than being one or the other.

Kostov

The thing is, they don't even do that properly. Whoever is paying attention to our games will tell you that we concede chances very easily.

Not sure those limited players are the problem for our lack of goals, we've lacked a RM for years now and play very ordinary players in positions like the number 10 role. Bruno has addressed the later but we still lack a proper winger.

He'sRaldo

So when teams sit deep against us and we can't break them down it's because of our vulnerable (according to you) defence?

It's more to do with the fact that we don't have creative players on the pitch (Pogba injury) and a clinical striker. When Bruno came in and was the source of the creativity we looked much better, it wasn't a coincidence.

Saying we need to play limited players is garbage. Without Pogba in the team, we basically had no one in midfield that could create until Bruno came in. That's not the same as sacrificing attacking players for more defensively minded players so don't try and spin it like that.

De Gea, AWB, Lindelof and Maguire have been the players with the most minutes this season and as a unit has been very solid. Backed up by the stats. They've held up their end but the creative players haven't.
We don't have creative players on the pitch because the hard workers are taking their place, presumably to shore up the defence. If Ole trusted the pair of Maguire and Lindelof, then I don't see why he would favour the hardworking duo of Fred and Scott over the duo of Pogba and Matic which has more guile.

Players like AWB, Scott, Fred, James, etc have been played to make sure we're decent defensively, and IMO Ole shares a lot of the blame as his setup isn't good enough, but also the CB's do seem to need a lot of protection to come away with those clean sheets being boasted about. I think the best course of action is to start Matic, Pogba, and Bruno, and tweak the defence until we find a combo that can cover for that midfield, instead of playing midfielders and even attackers to cover for the defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.