Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

When was that?
Lindelof is twice a defender than Maguire. Let me ask you something; if Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern, Psg need a defender, who do you think they would pick from these two?

I repeat, unlike you about Lindelof, i don't think that Maguire is bad defender and unlike most of Caf i am very happy how these two are playing together but if we compare these two Lindelof is level above. Maguire can play only in PL and Lindelof can play in every league and in every system.
Lindelof can't be twice the defender than Maguire when he is so weak and passive in duels, you hardly see him challenging attackers and instead ball watches. Yeah that helps in not getting beaten easily, I guess you can't be beaten when you don't fight right? Regarding Maguire yeah you can point out yesterday's nutmeg and Bergwijn goal as examples of bad defending but despite that you can point out to countless of times when he has dominated attackers in duels, handled them with ease and defended aggressively, helping us to win the ball back before even causing trouble. There is no coincidence in our defense looking far more assuring this season compared to previous years. Even Lindelof has looked better when compared to last year, Maguire and his heading ability has helped him massively.

If Barca, Real or whoever the feck needed a defender they are welcome to take Lindelof, they clearly can't afford Maguire. Despite that none of them plays in the PL. I know if Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool or City needed a CB, they'd rather get Maguire that is for sure. A CB who struggles in physical duels in the PL is a massive handicap.

Maguire can play wherever Lindelof can play mate, it's hilarious how much you overrate Lindelof. The time will come when we replace him with a better CB and the difference will be noted. And to be added I don't think Lindelof is a bad CB, far from that. I also like how he has improved in many aspects of his game and now is a very solid CB just. Ideally we will need a world class CB next to Maguire, so we have an acceptable defense.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Lindelof can't be twice the defender than Maguire when he is so weak and passive in duels, you hardly see him challenging attackers and instead ball watches. Yeah that helps in not getting beaten easily, I guess you can't be beaten when you don't fight right? Regarding Maguire yeah you can point out yesterday's nutmeg and Bergwijn goal as examples of bad defending but despite that you can point out to countless of times when he has dominated attackers in duels, handled them with ease and defended aggressively, helping us to win the ball back before even causing trouble. There is no coincidence in our defense looking far more assuring this season compared to previous years. Even Lindelof has looked better when compared to last year, Maguire and his heading ability has helped him massively.

If Barca, Real or whoever the feck needed a defender they are welcome to take Lindelof, they clearly can't afford Maguire. Despite that none of them plays in the PL. I know if Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool or City needed a CB, they'd rather get Maguire that is for sure. A CB who struggles in physical duels in the PL is a massive handicap.

Maguire can play wherever Lindelof can play mate, it's hilarious how much you overrate Lindelof. The time will come when we replace him with a better CB and the difference will be noted. And to be added I don't think Lindelof is a bad CB, far from that. I also like how he has improved in many aspects of his game and now is a very solid CB just. Ideally we will need a world class CB next to Maguire, so we have an acceptable defense.
Maguire is a very good defender for PL, no doubt about it. I maybe overrate Lindelof a bit but everyone has type of player who he likes. In terms od defenders i was always for Rio/Maldini /Baresi type instead Vidic/Maguire/Terry type.

Anders80

Ideally we will need a world class CB next to Maguire, so we have an acceptable defense.
We already have one of the best defenses in the league. I find that acceptable. So many in the Lindelöf hate train that expect a team to never concede a goal ever. Sorry to burst your bubble but that never happens. Even when Maguire screws up it's Lindelöf's fault according to some in here. :houllier:

And if you could please stop using the word nutmeg in every post. Makes you look silly.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lindelof committed to a header and “cleared” piss poorly into the box straight to a Bournemouth player. That does not excuse Maguire and DDG which made mistakes after that, but how can you say that is a acceptable by Lindelof?
Was it the same header that Maguire totally missed despite trying to head it and despite the ball being closest to him?

Just checking, just checking.

Kostov

We already have one of the best defenses in the league. I find that acceptable. So many in the Lindelöf hate train that expect a team to never concede a goal ever. Sorry to burst your bubble but that never happens. Even when Maguire screws up it's Lindelöf's fault according to some in here. :houllier:

And if you could please stop using the word nutmeg in every post. Makes you look silly.
Not sure it’s the right spelling but isn’t that the right expression?

I’ve never said we won’t ever concede a goal but we are not there yet in building a title winning defense. A top defenseusually concedes closer to 20 goals imo.

And who said it’s Lindelof’s fault if Maguire screws things up? But just because he did does not erase the fact that previously Lindelof screwed up as well.

Kostov

Was it the same header that Maguire totally missed despite trying to head it and despite the ball being closest to him?

Just checking, just checking.
Just becaus it came from his side does not make him closest. Look again he jumped and was never reaching that. Lindelof sensed the danger nicely but failed to clear. Of course it was not decisive in us conceding but why it is so scandalous to point out when a CB goes for a header and instead of clearing the ball he directs it to an attacker inside the box, that is a bad piece of defending?

Revan

Assumptionman
Just becaus it came from his side does not make him closest. Look again he jumped and was never reaching that. Lindelof sensed the danger nicely but failed to clear. Of course it was not decisive in us conceding but why it is so scandalous to point out when a CB goes for a header and instead of clearing the ball he directs it to an attacker inside the box, that is a bad piece of defending?
I mean, it was closest. It was near him, he jumped to head it but totally missed it. Lindelof had to cover for him by leaving his position and go for the ball. Which he did. Maguire then had to cover cause Lindelof cannot be in two places, and went to get the ball fro Stanislav (while Lindelof took Maguire's position on the other hand). Then Maguire got nutmegged and the goal happened.

The main error was him being easily dribbled. Him not being able to head the ball was a tiny mistake but such shit happens and Lindelof was there to cover. Then they (rightly so) switched positions cause Maguire was nearer to the ball than Stanislav (cause Lindelof had to leave his position to cover Maguire's original mistake). In truth the coordination between them was right (Lindelof saw Maguire's bad positioning and covered, Maguire immediately saw the gap Lindelof left for his error and covered for Lindelof, with Lindelof realizing it and covering the other side of the box). Then he got nutmegged.

So all in all, Maguire made a tiny mistake (which happens to the very best) and then rushed to fix it by making a bigger mistake.

SAFMUTD

If we switched the last 10 Maguire's performances with his, one would be threated as a worldclass defender and the other one as a total shit.

Lindelof is by far the most underrated player on our starting XI.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Maguire is a very good defender for PL, no doubt about it. I maybe overrate Lindelof a bit but everyone has type of player who he likes. In terms od defenders i was always for Rio/Maldini /Baresi type instead Vidic/Maguire/Terry type.
Maguire is way more similar to Rio than Lindelof that's for sure. Especially in Rio's older days when his pace was gone, even makes the same sort of mistakes as Rio used to make. Lindelof can't be compared to any of those guys even in style.. stretch it and you can say something like Lindelof is similar to Maguire, just quicker but more cautious, more nervy and not as brave, without the height or the muscles, or the great heading. Basic player, but sometimes, those players can be reliable and judging from this season, I certainly have learned he hasn't got a high ceiling and is just not good enough, but I think he has been reliable for us, which is appreciated and for me he can be a squad player. You could compare him to Vermaelen stylistically maybe?

Kostov

I mean, it was closest. It was near him, he jumped to head it but totally missed it. Lindelof had to cover for him by leaving his position and go for the ball. Which he did. Maguire then had to cover cause Lindelof cannot be in two places, and went to get the ball fro Stanislav (while Lindelof took Maguire's position on the other hand). Then Maguire got nutmegged and the goal happened.

The main error was him being easily dribbled. Him not being able to head the ball was a tiny mistake but such shit happens and Lindelof was there to cover. Then they (rightly so) switched positions cause Maguire was nearer to the ball than Stanislav (cause Lindelof had to leave his position to cover Maguire's original mistake). In truth the coordination between them was right (Lindelof saw Maguire's bad positioning and covered, Maguire immediately saw the gap Lindelof left for his error and covered for Lindelof, with Lindelof realizing it and covering the other side of the box). Then he got nutmegged.

So all in all, Maguire made a tiny mistake (which happens to the very best) and then rushed to fix it by making a bigger mistake.
You missed the part when Lindelof “covered” and headed theball straight into an opposition attacker inside the box. And yeah some ball will get over you Maguire is guilty for that, Lindelof should have cleared the ball properly though, just as Maguire should have approached Stanislas more carefully.

A-man

Not sure it’s the right spelling but isn’t that the right expression?

I’ve never said we won’t ever concede a goal but we are not there yet in building a title winning defense. A top defenseusually concedes closer to 20 goals imo.

And who said it’s Lindelof’s fault if Maguire screws things up? But just because he did does not erase the fact that previously Lindelof screwed up as well.
I think a lot can be achieved with better organisation at setpieces. As someone showed, we have conceded more or less the same amount of goals from open play as Liverpool, but many more at setpieces. Add that DDG made a few howlers morenthan expected from him and the defence in open play has been “title winning”. Or at least as good as Liverpool.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maguire is way more similar to Rio than Lindelof that's for sure. Especially in Rio's older days when his pace was gone, even makes the same sort of mistakes as Rio used to make. Lindelof can't be compared to any of those guys even in style.. stretch it and you can say something like Lindelof is similar to Maguire, just quicker but more cautious, more nervy and not as brave, without the height or the muscles, or the great heading. Basic player, but sometimes, those players can be reliable and judging from this season, I certainly have learned he hasn't got a high ceiling and is just not good enough, but I think he has been reliable for us, which is appreciated and for me he can be a squad player. You could compare him to Vermaelen stylistically maybe?
Me and you just can't be on the same page regarding defenders ;) .
Lindelof defends like Rio did ( not at that level of course, Rio is one of the best ever). He uses his brain and does it with good positioning. Also he has solid pace.
Maguire is also inteligent defender, no question about it, but his main strength is pure power and aerial duels. He is too often left in no mans land because he sometimes doesn't read situation right. And his pace is huge problem.

But ok, it is matter of opinion.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Me and you just can't be on the same page regarding defenders ;) .
Lindelof defends like Rio did ( not at that level of course, Rio is one of the best ever). He uses his brain and does it with good positioning. Also he has solid pace.
Maguire is also inteligent defender, no question about it, but his main strength is pure power and aerial duels. He is too often left in no mans land because he sometimes doesn't read situation right. And his pace is huge problem.

But ok, it is matter of opinion.
Haha, I know right. I still think Maguire has way more attributes in common with Rio though who was also powerful and good in the air. It's a really important trait, even in the slickest of CB's. I think Lindelof is really good at avoiding messy situations, unless he creates them. Sometimes it means proactive defending, other times it means avoiding responsibility. Some defenders put themselves about because it's needed, and while Rio was Neo in the matrix for a period there, he avoided being carded because he was a clean tackler and knew how to intercept and win the ball early. Something Lindelof doesn't do very well.

A-man

Sorry, but if I misunderstand you on purpose, it sounds like you think Maguire is similar to Rio in terms of mistake and being slow.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Haha, I know right. I still think Maguire has way more attributes in common with Rio though who was also powerful and good in the air. It's a really important trait, even in the slickest of CB's. I think Lindelof is really good at avoiding messy situations, unless he creates them. Sometimes it means proactive defending, other times it means avoiding responsibility. Some defenders put themselves about because it's needed, and while Rio was Neo in the matrix for a period there, he avoided being carded because he was a clean tackler and knew how to intercept and win the ball early. Something Lindelof doesn't do very well.
You cheeky bastard ( with the voice of Vinnie Jones)

Revan

Assumptionman
You missed the part when Lindelof “covered” and headed theball straight into an opposition attacker inside the box. And yeah some ball will get over you Maguire is guilty for that, Lindelof should have cleared the ball properly though, just as Maguire should have approached Stanislas more carefully.
So why Maguire totally missing the ball that was near him and then getting nutmegged is okay, but Lindelof clearing the ball (but not outside of the box) while covering Maguire's mistake was somehow worse?

Kostov

So why Maguire totally missing the ball that was near him and then getting nutmegged is okay, but Lindelof clearing the ball (but not outside of the box) while covering Maguire's mistake was somehow worse?
The ball came from his side, and he could not reach it, his partner could and went for it. Getting nutmegged is not okay for the reason that he left his GK exposed inside the box and it was a mistake. Covering for a partner who could not reach a high ball is not scandalous thing to do, it's what partners are there for. I don't dismiss Maguire's mistake but you are saying that Lindelof did well with that clearance and covered himself in glory there?

Kostov

I think a lot can be achieved with better organisation at setpieces. As someone showed, we have conceded more or less the same amount of goals from open play as Liverpool, but many more at setpieces. Add that DDG made a few howlers morenthan expected from him and the defence in open play has been “title winning”. Or at least as good as Liverpool.
Liverpool have conceded 25 goals and 4 of them last week after winning the title. Generally I think they have been much more assured in their defense that we have been. VVD is undisputed best CB in the league and it helps in that regard, also Allison has been better than DDG who as you said has made couple of feck ups which have cost us. Not sure the goals conceded are the only stat we should analyze here. I would say shots conceded would be a good example of where we are compared to them. I feel we do concede more chances compared to other top teams like City and Liverpool.

Set pieces are very important in the PL and part of the game also, you have teams that specialize in that kind of football and we will have to improve. I also think that both of Maguire and Lindelof will benefit if we had a more mobile CDM in front of them.

gajender

Liverpool have conceded 25 goals and 4 of them last week after winning the title. Generally I think they have been much more assured in their defense that we have been. VVD is undisputed best CB in the league and it helps in that regard, also Allison has been better than DDG who as you said has made couple of feck ups which have cost us. Not sure the goals conceded are the only stat we should analyze here. I would say shots conceded would be a good example of where we are compared to them. I feel we do concede more chances compared to other top teams like City and Liverpool.

Set pieces are very important in the PL and part of the game also, you have teams that specialize in that kind of football and we will have to improve. I also think that both of Maguire and Lindelof will benefit if we had a more mobile CDM in front of them.
Though I agree having a mobile Dm would benefit team especially our defence a lot ,but would it help us in conceding less on Set Pieces?

simmee

The ball came from his side, and he could not reach it, his partner could and went for it. Getting nutmegged is not okay for the reason that he left his GK exposed inside the box and it was a mistake. Covering for a partner who could not reach a high ball is not scandalous thing to do, it's what partners are there for. I don't dismiss Maguire's mistake but you are saying that Lindelof did well with that clearance and covered himself in glory there?
He saw it late and stopped an attacker from a free header on goal? You would be creaming yourself if that was Maguire. You've completely made stuff up about the game just because you're so blinkered. Lindelof has been our best defender since the restart (but Maguire has had the best season overall). Lets just hope that Maguire gets his act together before Leicester atleast.

RashyForPM

I’ve not visited this thread for a while, but now that I have, I cannot believe that the Lindelof bashing is still raging on.

No, he is not Maldini or Beckenbauer incarnate, but he has still played a massive part in helping our defence only concede a measly 6 goals over our last 16 games. If we carry this defensive record (and attacking too, of course, but that is for another thread) into next season, we will genuinely win the league, as that is the definition of title-winning form. What’s more, aside from his much-improved defending since Mourinho’s last few games, his ball-playing, which despite his reputation I did not think was all that when he first came, has improved majorly and been vital to us too. He is one of the reasons why our attackers get so many chances. In our next game against Villa, if Lindelof plays as I think he picked up a slight niggle in the Bournemouth game, just watch his positioning when we have the ball and the way he progresses it straight to Pogba or Bruno before they are picked up by opposing anchor men. Because of this, they are able to instantly turn and create.

Besides, I don’t think I can emphasise the importance of defensive continuity and stability enough. In an attacking team, which Ole thankfully wants to build, it is absolutely crucial that the back 4 have a good understanding, after gaining experience this season, with each other. With that, they will know when to drop, pressure, play offside etc, which will naturally go a long way to helping us regain possession quickly after losing the ball to continue peppering the opposition. Mourinho and LvG sacrificed goals for a good defence, but because neither ever really had a stable back 4, our defence was generally leaky anyway, hence why we never challenged for the title under either manager. If we want to challenge next season, we need this, and therefore we need Lindelof and shouldn’t replace him as some people are calling for. With a good stable defence, the attackers invariably feel more confident to attack and express themselves too.

Just thought that I’d stick up for Lindelof, as the hate he is getting without any regard of his recent performances and our defensive record over the last 16 games is reckless and utterly wrong.

Last edited:

Kostov

He saw it late and stopped an attacker from a free header on goal? You would be creaming yourself if that was Maguire. You've completely made stuff up about the game just because you're so blinkered. Lindelof has been our best defender since the restart (but Maguire has had the best season overall). Lets just hope that Maguire gets his act together before Leicester atleast.
If you are creaming yourself over a failed clearance from a CB good for you. Don't spout bullshit about me making thing up. I have no problem in calling mistakes by Maguire when he makes them, unlike some on here for Lindelof. Maguire has been our best CB even after the restart and the 2 high profile mistakes vs Bourn and Spurs. You know why? Because he does so much more in defending than Lindelof, and despite the mistakes you can point out to 10 occasions where he demonstrated his defensive prowess and why he has transformed our defending.

The thing is he makes a mistake and there are bunch on here spouting bullshit about how he is not worth 80m or how he is a water tanker and why he is not VVD. All CBs will make mistakes as will Lindelof and Maguire, thing is when you weight it what he brings to the table is what makes Maguire head and shoulders above our other options. Maguire made a bad decision and was punished vs Stanislas, but imo Lindelof shoul have cleared that cross out of the box.

Anders80

The thing is he makes a mistake and there are bunch on here spouting bullshit about how he is not worth 80m or how he is a water tanker and why he is not VVD. All CBs will make mistakes as will Lindelof and Maguire, thing is when you weight it what he brings to the table is what makes Maguire head and shoulders above our other options. Maguire made a bad decision and was punished vs Stanislas, but imo Lindelof shoul have cleared that cross out of the box.
That may be your opinion, but I and many others disagree. I don't dispute that Maguire may have had the better season so far, but in my opinion Lindelöf is not far off, and has delivered better performances many times. The problem is that Lindelöf gets an exacerbated, disproportional and undeserved amount of crap for even the smallest of things, while Maguire's complete feckups often aren't even mentioned, or sometimes inexplicably even blamed on Lindelöf. Goals are usually not made unless a defender screws something up, and so it's bound to happen, but looking at our statistics we don't concede much.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For me, Lideloff is a very good player. He is our second best central defender behind Maguire. The only problem is that he doesn't compliment Maguire. In my opinion, he should be what Johnny Evans was to Vidic and Rio. A very good defender, but 3rd choice. And a very good 3rd choice at that. So for now I am fine with him partnering Maguire, but I think it is an area we should look at...

Revan

Assumptionman
Has he? Without the mistakes, sure, and it is not even close. But when you add all the goals we conceded because of his mistakes/inability, I am not sure at all. These two mistakes have hardly been his first, he has been skinned many times during the season, and costed us goals (for all his aerial dominance, both Van Diijk and Otamendi scored headers on him).

Even if he has been the best defender for us (which is a totally reasonable opinion to have), I don't think that the difference has been near as much as some people are making.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not really. I am saying that Lindelof covered Maguire's mistake (a decision he had to made in a split of a second) for Maguire to only make another bigger mistake.

Putting any part of the blame in Lindelof not making a great clearance, while minimizing Maguire's original inability to head the ball without any pressure is agenda at its best.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
For me, Lideloff is a very good player. He is our second best central defender behind Maguire. The only problem is that he doesn't compliment Maguire. In my opinion, he should be what Johnny Evans was to Vidic and Rio. A very good defender, but 3rd choice. And a very good 3rd choice at that. So for now I am fine with him partnering Maguire, but I think it is an area we should look at...
We are in agreement. He is a very good player but he should be 3rd choice. He’ll play a ton of games. Ideally we need someone with pace and a certain ruggedness to play alongside Maguire. Stam would do nicely, if someone can invent a time machine. I really feel someone of that mould can help Maguire shine even more.

Talking of Maguire, the spotlight is on when he makes a mistake but the difference since we signed him is night and day in our defence. As a unit they function well. Real captain material. fecking monster in the air too. One of the first names on the team sheet. Our fullbacks are excellent too. Shaw takes heat for some reason but he’s been superb this season. Really rate him. One defender away from a formidable back line.

Given we need to bin off Smalling, Jones and Rojo this summer, I would keep Bailly as back up. There won’t be many incomings this summer for sure. But he’s one that needs to go too. Tuanzebe needs another loan. He needs more experience and he needs to show he can stay fit an entire season. Right now he is another sick note, which is unfortunate.

Upemecano and Konate are names we should be looking at.

Last edited:

el3mel

Whatever Lindelof does he will never win some of the guys here. They have their mind set on him and aren't going to change it no matter what.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We are in agreement. He is a very good player but he should be 3rd choice. He’ll play a ton of games. Ideally we need someone with pace and a certain ruggedness to play alongside Maguire. Stam would do nicely, if someone can invent a time machine. I really feel someone of that mould can help Maguire shine even more.

Talking of Maguire, the spotlight is on when he makes a mistake but the difference since we signed him is night and day in our defence. As a unit they function well. Real captain material. fecking monster in the air too. One of the first names on the team sheet. Our fullbacks are excellent too. Shaw takes heat for some reason but he’s been superb this season. Really rate him. One defender away from a formidable back line.

Given we need to bin off Smalling, Jones and Rojo this summer, I would keep Bailly as back up. There won’t be many incomings this summer for sure. But he’s one that needs to go too. Tuanzebe needs another loan. He needs more experience and he needs to show he can stay fit an entire season. Right now he is another sick note, which is unfortunate.

Upemecano and Konate are names we should be looking at.
I like Ake. I think he would compliment Maguire well, he's left footed so Maguire can move to his more natural right central defense, he's quick and he's a good footballer. He is also at a good age for a central defender and will likely be available for a reasonable price should Bournemouth get relegated...

Kostov

Not really. I am saying that Lindelof covered Maguire's mistake (a decision he had to made in a split of a second) for Maguire to only make another bigger mistake.

Putting any part of the blame in Lindelof not making a great clearance, while minimizing Maguire's original inability to head the ball without any pressure is agenda at its best.
That is simply not true, go and rewatch the goal and you will see that before the cross there was a runner who went past our midfielders and into the box, Maguire anticipated his run and moved slightly to cover which is the right thing to do, as soon as the runner went into offside(or in front of Shaw I think) Maguire was stepping back into his position when the cross came in. Lindelof was rightfully moving with his partner and covering ground well. I already stated he sensed the danger and committed to the header as he should have. Sometimes crosses get over you and partners are there to cover, I wouldn't blame Maguire as I wouldn't blame Lindelof if it was a reversed situation. What Maguire did afterwards was a huge mistake and bigger one than Lindelof but it was not the only one to blame imo.

Kostov

That may be your opinion, but I and many others disagree. I don't dispute that Maguire may have had the better season so far, but in my opinion Lindelöf is not far off, and has delivered better performances many times. The problem is that Lindelöf gets an exacerbated, disproportional and undeserved amount of crap for even the smallest of things, while Maguire's complete feckups often aren't even mentioned, or sometimes inexplicably even blamed on Lindelöf. Goals are usually not made unless a defender screws something up, and so it's bound to happen, but looking at our statistics we don't concede much.
IMO that's mostly due to many people realizing that despite the feck up here and there he usually is head and shoulders our stand out defender and holding the line together, while watching Lindelof you get the sense that what he brings to the table and what he lacks into his play are much less contrasting and easily upgraded. I am one of the ones that criticizes and do not rate Lindelof very highly, but compared to precious years our defense has been much more assured for the most part of it. And it's credit to all of them, that includes Lindelof as well. However If I look at one player that we should upgrade next, i'd point out to him.

Revan

Assumptionman
That is simply not true, go and rewatch the goal and you will see that before the cross there was a runner who went past our midfielders and into the box, Maguire anticipated his run and moved slightly to cover which is the right thing to do, as soon as the runner went into offside(or in front of Shaw I think) Maguire was stepping back into his position when the cross came in. Lindelof was rightfully moving with his partner and covering ground well. I already stated he sensed the danger and committed to the header as he should have. Sometimes crosses get over you and partners are there to cover, I wouldn't blame Maguire as I wouldn't blame Lindelof if it was a reversed situation. What Maguire did afterwards was a huge mistake and bigger one than Lindelof but it was not the only one to blame imo.
Let’s forget that Maguire never got nutmegged. Who was more to be blamed for the chance (Maguire for missing the header or Lindelof for covering for him but not perfectly so)?

Kostov

Let’s forget that Maguire never got nutmegged. Who was more to be blamed for the chance (Maguire for missing the header or Lindelof for covering for him but not perfectly so)?
I already pointed out why Maguire wasn't able to get to that high cross (like the rest 80% of high ball that he clears every match) Lindelof actually was anticipating that cross and got to the ball, why didn't he clear the ball properly like top class CB do?

simmee

Has he? Without the mistakes, sure, and it is not even close. But when you add all the goals we conceded because of his mistakes/inability, I am not sure at all. These two mistakes have hardly been his first, he has been skinned many times during the season, and costed us goals (for all his aerial dominance, both Van Diijk and Otamendi scored headers on him).

Even if he has been the best defender for us (which is a totally reasonable opinion to have), I don't think that the difference has been near as much as some people are making.
That's fair. I definitely agree that it's close. If we just look at the CBs Lindelof has made a few mistakes himself. And they've both been good covering for each other. I just think the defense has been good overall and don't really wanna be in a "camp" for a specific defender. They were a bit sloppy in the beginning of the season when they were getting to know each other but now they look quite comfortable except of Maguire beeing a bit rusty after the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.