Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuterium

I strongly disagree that Tuanzebe is a better player than Lindelof. He was an average player in an average team in an average league. He was not even first choice in AV (27/46 games). People clearly suffering from the grass-is-greener syndrome.

I take comfort in that Lindelof is clearly one of Ole’s first name on the sheet and has been ever since he arrived and probably will be as long he is here. Sorry to disappoint the handful of people trying to negate Lindelof’s quality.

Fredrik.A

According to swedish newspaper aftonbladet he's close to signing a new deal.

SwedishFish

According to Swedish Newspaper Aftonbladet, he's agreed to a new contract with the club that will significantly up his salary.

Solskjaer must really believe in him then considering he's got 3 years left on his current deal.

AR87

Renewing him makes sense. Lock him up through his prime years and show some good faith to give him a bump after Maguire came in. Additionally we get ahead of any contentious negotiations after the season when he'd have one year left on his deal, with an option for another, and more leverage.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah renewing so soon is probably bit weird but if there was one player who sort of deserves extension after the previous season it's him.

Member 102134

Awful player, positioning all over the place, poor in the air, great pass and that's it, every other defending aspect in his game is catastrophc, and he is very, very slow, like a snail. Smalling and Maguire will be great partners until Tuanzebe is ready

Reactions: golden_blunder

Mickson

Why not?

We've renewed with far worse players than him over the last year. He's one of the few that deserves it.
Deserves it after six decent months or something? And he has three years left on his deal. It's the same mindset that saw us renew several other players contracts.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's cheaper to renew it now. If we wait till he has two years left, he might have serious offers and then demand an incredible wage.

Mickson

It's cheaper to renew it now. If we wait till he has two years left, he might have serious offers and then demand an incredible wage.
He won't have serious offers in two years time. Silly to think that he will ever be better than United level.

A-man

The renewal is probably because the the buyout clause was too low in his first contract. If OGS is trying to build a new team he wants to make sure the players he's building with are staying.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's gone from a CB to one of our first choice CBs. It would surprise me if he wants a new deal to reflect that given that at a guess I'd say booth Jones and Smalling currently have better deals than him?

A-man

He won't have serious offers in two years time. Silly to think that he will ever be better than United level.
First of all it doesn't matter if he becomes better than United level or not, if someone wants him and makes a good offer he might leave to a worse club. But considering United level based on results is 6th in England, I can see how other better PL teams could want him, especially if he continues to develop the next two years.

Mickson

Exactly what we said about Herrera. The underrating of our players has got to stop.
I don't lose sleep over Herrera and he won't be a regular at PSG I imagine. Good squad player and arguably better than what we have but he wouldn't really have solved anything.

First of all it doesn't matter if he becomes better than United level or not, if someone wants him and makes a good offer he might leave to a worse club. But considering United level based on results is 6th in England, I can see how other better PL teams could want him, especially if he continues to develop the next two years.
If he wants to leave, fine. We shouldn't be giving new contracts to players who only have made good performances for a short period of time. I thought we learned something from our mistakes.

Robbie Boy

Why are some people after Lindelof now?
If you look closely you’ll see a common theme with the posters who are slagging him off; they’re all huge Smalling fans who are upset that their boy Smalling has lost his place. In fact, there’s some of them polluting every thread regarding our defense with shite about Lindelöf not being good enough etc. It’s pathetic, but sadly some have weird biases and affiliations to players.

Zlatans Knee

Awful player, positioning all over the place, poor in the air, great pass and that's it, every other defending aspect in his game is catastrophc, and he is very, very slow, like a snail. Smalling and Maguire will be great partners until Tuanzebe is ready
I really want to ignore your post for being complete nonsense but I can’t.
Modern day centre backs can no longer merely be used for clearing their lines. I agree with you that is something that Smalling can do. But for all other aspects of being a modern day centre half Lindelof is miles better. Nowadays it is essential to be able to stay calm when the opposition places you under pressure. As a goalkeeper or midfielder I would never feel comfortable passing the ball to Smalling because there would be a fair chance that it will be booted into touch or create an opportunity for the opposition.
Smalling would not get near any other top 6 team. Lindelof would, apart from Liverpool and City.

ravi2

If you look closely you’ll see a common theme with the posters who are slagging him off; they’re all huge Smalling fans who are upset that their boy Smalling has lost his place. In fact, there’s some of them polluting every thread regarding our defense with shite about Lindelöf not being good enough etc. It’s pathetic, but sadly some have weird biases and affiliations to players.
Macguire and Lindelof have the makings of a solid CB partnership and its the best our defense has looked in a long time.
I am not sure what people want

Robbie Boy

Macguire and Lindelof have the makings of a solid CB partnership and its the best our defense has looked in a long time.
I am not sure what people want
Honestly, it’s just some have this utterly bizarre obsession with Smalling. It’s one of the weirdest thing I’ve seen on here.

Halftrack

Jesus Christ, what an awful post. And wrong to boot.

haram

More like awful post.

AR87

Honestly, it’s just some have this utterly bizarre obsession with Smalling. It’s one of the weirdest thing I’ve seen on here.
I like Smalling fine as a squad CB who you can use against lower table teams that play direct, but he clearly doesn't have the necessary attributes to be a starting CB for any club who wants to challenge for the PL and in Europe. Maybe Lindelof will prove he's not in that caliber of CB either, but he has the mix of skills and is at an age where further progression can be projected to the point where you could see him achieving that level.

JustAGuest

It has been going for a while now. Even after his good performances you see some of that same rubbish being posted.

Reiver

This can't be serious?

Foxbatt

He is bound to make mistakes just like any player will make mistakes but he is not half as bad CB as some people make him out to be. The issue with Smalling is that VAR he is bound to concede a penalty. He is also not very comfortable with the ball and he is not a destroyer like Vidic either. He is a good back up player for either Maguire and Lindelof. I would rather have Smalling than Bailly.

Raven

Of course he's being offered a new deal, his first contract was as a squad player, he's now one of the first names on the team sheet.

L1nk

People are complaining about this when we've still got Smalling, Jones and Rojo on the books? He's a level above them and even IF Tuanzebe ends up being better, he's great to have in the squad without a doubt, particularly over the other lot, but for now he's doing great in the first team, despite people hating on him for no reason.

ravi2

Now this is just stupid

arthurka

Exactly. I've seen Ramos being caught out more times than I can count, yet there's a thread on this forum claiming him to be one of the best CB's of all time. Just to be clear, I rate Ramos incredibly highly, and I'm not comparing Lindelof to him, but I'm saying that nobody stops everything.
One is a WC winner a EC winner and multiple CL titles plus many domestic ones. The other one has a lip full of snuss and sometimes looks like he is afraid of the ball. Its really not comparable.

Jacob

Who promoted this guy? You clearly lack football IQ.
I

A-man

If he wants to leave, fine. We shouldn't be giving new contracts to players who only have made good performances for a short period of time. I thought we learned something from our mistakes.
Apparently he wants to stay. And OGS wants him to stay. What you and I see from Lindelof are the matches. What the trainers, coach and staff see is every single training. Their job is to find out who are worth keeping and who are not, and the sooner the better. They have probably come to another conclusion regarding Lindelof than you have, and believe he is important to keep when building up a new team.

Status
Not open for further replies.