Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

I don't understand why some really want him to fail. He is definitely not having greatest of the start to the season but surely we have to be patient before coming with a judgement.
It's the individuslization of football. Some fans like "their" players more than the club. They would probably prefer seeing United relegated because of poor performance of Lindelof, rather than see the club win PL with him as a key player.

A-man

We've had "shorter" CB's in the past, Steve Bruce was significantly shorter than Lindelof, yet he won a majority of aerial duels because he was physical and aggressive.
To be fair I think he has improved. It started at the end of last season and has continued. Yes he had a very poor header against Crystal Palace, but so far this season he has won an average of 4 aerial duels per match.
Against Southampton he won 8 and lost 2.

romufc

To be fair I think he has improved. It started at the end of last season and has continued. Yes he had a very poor header against Crystal Palace, but so far this season he has won an average of 4 aerial duels per match.
One mistake means you are rubbish? didn't you know that?

To play for Manutd, 1 mistake is 1 too many. :houllier:

Drz

I don't think there is any particular loyalty to Lindelof. You can't just drop players at every mistake. All that will do is prove to the group of players that they will get ditched at the slight mishap, could serve as a deterrent to confidence and could lead to playing with fear (and we already pass the ball too slow as it is).

In terms of management I guess it is about giving them enough rope, to either climb out or hang themselves with.

All that said, I wouldn't have a problem with Tuanzebe starting in Lindelof's stead at the next game, but getting back to rope, if Lindelof starts vs Leicester and is still in the mix of a goal-costing mistake there should be no qualms about replacing him with Tuanzebe.

Denis79

Not too bad, unlucky the few he lost led to goals. Still believe he needs to become more agressive. He can off balance players in situations he can't win a duel. He's a too 'clean' a player for CB imo.

Drz

Not too bad, unlucky the few he lost led to goals. Still believe he needs to become more agressive. He can off balance players in situations he can't win a duel. He's a too 'clean' a player for CB imo.
Agreed, I'd say our team in general is too clean when it comes to tactical fouling that said the opponents we've faced so far have used it against us to good effect.

A-man

He is a very clean defender, think he's got two yellow cards in 50 PL matches: one for handball and one for kicking the ball after the ref whistled. It would be good if he could keep that cleanliness on the ground where he seldom has problems and add aggressiveness in some situations in the air and like you say try to off balance opponents in situations where he can't risk loosing it.

poleglass red

I've said in other posts, he's a decent option for games in Europe, where he's had some alright performances. PL is too quick and physical for him, and I don't see him ever adapting to that. Not neccassarily a bad player just not suited to this league in my opinion. He stood out a little last season in a poor defense, although I though the kudos he got was over the top, but with better defenders around him now his limitations are highlighted. It's where we are right now, we've had 1 transfer window, we probably need at least 3 more. Until then we will have players like him who are just meh.

I've said in other posts, he's a decent option for games in Europe, where he's had some alright performances. PL is too quick and physical for him, and I don't see him ever adapting to that. Not neccassarily a bad player just not suited to this league in my opinion. He stood out a little last season in a poor defense, although I though the kudos he got was over the top, but with better defenders around him now his limitations are highlighted. It's where we are right now, we've had 1 transfer window, we probably need at least 3 more. Until then we will have players like him who are just meh.
That's what I think too, I can see us replacing him at some point.

stepic

against Palace he was running backwards against a player running in the same direction of the ball, not the easiest position to jump and clear it. we should have had cover to ensure one missed header in a difficult position doesn't directly result in an easy shot on goal.

the second header he was outjumped by a player taller than him - it happens. besides, De Gea should have come out and smashed it out of the box. that's on the GK for me.

Ekeke

I don't understand why some really want him to fail. He is definitely not having greatest of the start to the season but surely we have to be patient before coming with a judgement.
Maybe its realism. Its the 3rd time in 3 seasons that hes had a disaster start to the season. If 100% isnt high enough to tell you he has a problem I dont know what will

Ekeke

He's certainly improved the quantity that he makes since the first half of last season but it seems like teams are finally targeting his side for long high balls as they know eventually they'll get some joy

AshRK

Maybe its realism. Its the 3rd time in 3 seasons that hes had a disaster start to the season. If 100% isnt high enough to tell you he has a problem I dont know what will
Season consists of 38 games plus more and not just 3 or 4 games. Disaster is a harsh term , he has been far from disastrous. Yes he has made mistakes but many defenders do, even your beloved Smalling has made plenty. I won't say Lindelof is a top defender, not yet but neither would I write him off. I have seen many good games from him than bad so I still think he will improve.

RedDevilSwe

Supports
Liverpool
Why is everyone so sure that the unproven Tuanzebe is an upgrade on Vic?

A-man

He's certainly improved the quantity that he makes since the first half of last season but it seems like teams are finally targeting his side for long high balls as they know eventually they'll get some joy
Could of course be like you say, that teams chose to target Lindelof in the air instead of Maguire who is one of the best there is in the air. However Maguire have headed even more so it is not easy to draw any conclusions about that, yet.

A-man

I would say "disaster" is exaggerating. He has been involved in two conceded goals. But it is right he has improved a lot after about a third of the season previous seasons.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't think there is any particular loyalty to Lindelof. You can't just drop players at every mistake. All that will do is prove to the group of players that they will get ditched at the slight mishap, could serve as a deterrent to confidence and could lead to playing with fear (and we already pass the ball too slow as it is).

In terms of management I guess it is about giving them enough rope, to either climb out or hang themselves with.

All that said, I wouldn't have a problem with Tuanzebe starting in Lindelof's stead at the next game, but getting back to rope, if Lindelof starts vs Leicester and is still in the mix of a goal-costing mistake there should be no qualms about replacing him with Tuanzebe.
That's pretty much how I see it too. Right now I doubt Ole will drop Lindelof, nor am I particularly disappointed in that. He had quite a good second half of last season (although I think many overrate how good) and throughout most of the preseason as well. With the next option in line being so relatively inexperienced, I don't think that's enough to warrant dropping him yet.

However we've now got six games in three weeks and there's no doubt Tuanzebe will be starting the three cup games. If Lindelof has another shaky game or two and Tuanzebe is looking solid, it'll be time for them to switch places.

MadDogg

I don't remember him having a particularly poor start to last season. Indeed I remember it as right from the start of the season it was an obvious improvement on his first season. Now that's not saying all that much as his first season truly was a disaster and I'm not saying he was great, but I think you're overstating it with 'disaster'.

A-man

That's pretty much how I see it too. Right now I doubt Ole will drop Lindelof, nor am I particularly disappointed in that. He had quite a good second half of last season (although I think many overrate how good) and throughout most of the preseason as well. With the next option in line being so relatively inexperienced, I don't think that's enough to warrant dropping him yet.

However we've now got six games in three weeks and there's no doubt Tuanzebe will be starting the three cup games. If Lindelof has another shaky game or two and Tuanzebe is looking solid, it'll be time for them to switch places.
The cup matches should be fairly easy matches and I am pretty sure it will be Tuanzebe and Jones. The bad thing is that Tuanzebe needs to play some matches with Maguire and some with Lindelof if he is going to be prepared to be first backup in case om injuroes or poor form. But they need to rest and Jones/Rojo need to play.

poleglass red

In an ideal world you'd drop Lindelof, but although we have numbers in that area, they all have their flaws. The one we all probably want to see is Tuanzebe with Maguire, is it guaranteed to work - no, but his athleticism alone seems like a better match for Maguire than say Lindelof. Problem is, Tuanzebe like Lindelof is inexperienced, he too will also make mistakes, his positioning at times can be iffy, but I think he could form a better partnership with Maguire long term. We know that pace and physicality won't be an issue for him, unfortunately that's a big part of playing the PL.

snowkarl

Looks way better for Sweden whenever he plays for them

All central defenders look horrible for us due to the way we play I guess

Denis79

Looks way better for Sweden whenever he plays for them

All central defenders look horrible for us due to the way we play I guess
Nah the league is tough, can't compare the PL to playing Norway, Malta etc and when Sweden plays a good team they defend with 10 players, like they did in the World Cup.

roseguy64

I don't remember him having a particularly poor start to last season. Indeed I remember it as right from the start of the season it was an obvious improvement on his first season. Now that's not saying all that much as his first season truly was a disaster and I'm not saying he was great, but I think you're overstating it with 'disaster'.
He wasn't great at the start. It just looked like a continuation of his first season.

I don't get why losing a challenge is a mistake. A mistake is being out of position, misplacing a pass, not paying attention to the player you mark etc. How's losing an aerial duel considered a mistake?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't get why losing a challenge is a mistake. A mistake is being out of position, misplacing a pass, not paying attention to the player you mark etc. How's losing an aerial duel considered a mistake?
Interesting point of view. I sort of agree but how do you view defender losing a tackle (mistiming it so players dribbles past them) and concede a goal?

Ekeke

Are you kidding? :lol: We had a disaster start to the season with him and Bailly starting, leading to Fellaini playing as an extra CB just to head the ball for them

Ekeke

Could of course be like you say, that teams chose to target Lindelof in the air instead of Maguire who is one of the best there is in the air. However Maguire have headed even more so it is not easy to draw any conclusions about that, yet.
Smalling would head more too, theres times when the ball is in the air long enough that the CB partner can command the situation and take charge and head it out. But there are other times when it has to be personal responsibility because the partner cant possibly come across and deal with it for you

Ekeke

Season consists of 38 games plus more and not just 3 or 4 games. Disaster is a harsh term , he has been far from disastrous. Yes he has made mistakes but many defenders do, even your beloved Smalling has made plenty. I won't say Lindelof is a top defender, not yet but neither would I write him off. I have seen many good games from him than bad so I still think he will improve.
2 costly mistakes in a row and average at best performances other than that, yes his form has been a disaster recently.

MadDogg

Are you kidding? :lol: We had a disaster start to the season with him and Bailly starting, leading to Fellaini playing as an extra CB just to head the ball for them
They only played together twice and the first match they were actually fairly good. Of course the second match was an absolute disaster (mostly Bailly but Lindelof was also quite poor) and they were both dropped for the third match, but after that Lindelof came back in (partnering Smalling) and he was decent. Certainly not great, but it was an obvious improvement over his first season which was terrible.

I do grant you that Fellaini was playing very deep to help out with the aerial balls though. He and Smalling were protecting him a fair bit. Lindelof did actually improve in that regard as the season wore on and stopped needing that extra bit of protection, but he'll obviously never be great in the air.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He’s lost two aerial duals which led to goals. It’s clearly a weakness but as you say, it isn’t a mistake.

Ekeke

They only played together twice and the first match they were actually fairly good. Of course the second match was an absolute disaster (mostly Bailly but Lindelof was also quite poor) and they were both dropped for the third match, but after that Lindelof came back in (partnering Smalling) and he was decent. Certainly not great, but it was an obvious improvement over his first season which was terrible.

I do grant you that Fellaini was playing very deep to help out with the aerial balls though. He and Smalling were protecting him a fair bit. Lindelof did actually improve in that regard as the season wore on and stopped needing that extra bit of protection, but he'll obviously never be great in the air.
Agree but thats a disaster, having to change your team's tactics to fit in a CB because he was being exposed. 2nd half of the season was much better

Interesting point of view. I sort of agree but how do you view defender losing a tackle (mistiming it so players dribbles past them) and concede a goal?
I wouldn't blame Wan-Bissaka for not winning every tackle so if it led to a goal I'd blame the defensive organization much like I would with aerial challenges. Obviously some tackles can be borderline stupid and I'd be inclined to call it a mistake.

He’s lost two aerial duals which led to goals. It’s clearly a weakness but as you say, it isn’t a mistake.
I guess the above could count as a reply to you too. We can't expect our players to win every challenge. We need the organization to be more solid and more reactive.

A-man

Smalling would head more too, theres times when the ball is in the air long enough that the CB partner can command the situation and take charge and head it out. But there are other times when it has to be personal responsibility because the partner cant possibly come across and deal with it for you
There are occasions when Maguire step up to win a header but actually both him and Lindelof have had many aerials to deal with so far. For me this was expected. Maguire is an overall good defender and both Lindelof and Bissaka are very good on the ground. I believe most goals conceded against teams outside top6 will be involving headers or from setpieces.

Teffe

Geez. You lot still going on about if he's good or bad? How many hours have you spent trying to convince each other?

Coach and the general opinion favours Lindelof. Lets hope Lindelof OR Tuanzebe makes a top game this upcoming! Go United!! Whoever plays.

arthurka

against Palace he was running backwards against a player running in the same direction of the ball, not the easiest position to jump and clear it. we should have had cover to ensure one missed header in a difficult position doesn't directly result in an easy shot on goal.

the second header he was outjumped by a player taller than him - it happens. besides, De Gea should have come out and smashed it out of the box. that's on the GK for me.
When does it end with Vic? If this was Smalling or Jones they would have been torn to shreds. He isn't good enough not by any stretch, the sooner we figure that out the better

stepic

2 costly mistakes in a row and average at best performances other than that, yes his form has been a disaster recently.
how is a 6'2" Lindelof being outjumped by a 6'6" Vestergaard a mistake, exactly? do you want him to take a trampoline on the pitch with him? again, that goal is De Gea's mistake. goalkeepers have this amazing ability to punch the ball clear, you know.

romufc

how is a 6'2" Lindelof being outjumped by a 6'6" Vestergaard a mistake, exactly? do you want him to take a trampoline on the pitch with him? again, that goal is De Gea's mistake. goalkeepers have this amazing ability to punch the ball clear, you know.
Because he was the one marking him and our fans think that a 6'6 with a running jump should not be beaten by a 6'2" backtracking defender.

But let us all ignore that this was in the 2nd phase after the ball was cleared, the cross should have been stopped but lets not even look at that because it was AWB.

If it was Shaw going out to the ball, he would have been crucified too.

Status
Not open for further replies.