Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

settembrini

Watching the highlights again and his defending is so bad for the Mane 'goal'. It's similar to his blunder against Palace when all he has to deal with is a long ball that he can see coming all the way and is positioned fine to deal with... but he just fails completely and it ends up in the back of our net.

He's reverted to looking like the calamity he was in his first season and not the competent player we saw last year.

A-man

Not really. 20 years ago yes, but 10 years ago they would have been fine. Off the top of my head I don't remember any of the truly top defenders of 10 years ago who wouldn't be able to handle the changes that have happened. Rio would love it. Even the likes of Vidic and Terry, players who are generally thought of as being the muscle, were easily good enough on the ball to be fine today (maybe Vidic in his first couple of seasons might struggle occasionally, but he improved). As long as they can pass the ball decently well and aren't prone to panic they would be fine (maybe I'm forgetting a few that wouldn't be). And all the top fullbacks of the time were great on the ball and provided a great deal of attacking impetus. It's midfielders and attackers where the game has probably changed more, with the emphasis on pressing high requiring them to do a lot more high-impact running. Some would handle that fine, some might struggle a little with the added physicality that is expected.

The competition as a fullback might be stronger, but centreback definitely isn't. Until the emergence of VVD it was probably the weakest field of centreback's that I can remember.
Most of the stars from 10 years ago would, like you wrote, be fine today. Probably they would even be very good or stars of today. But for sure the role and expectations of FB and CB have changed. If you watch old matches, from ten years ago, you can see that they aren’t from today. When they played fast it was fast, but the overall match tempo was lower and today the opponents put much more pressure on the defenders. The fullbacks were imo also more defensive compared to today when the CBs often need to cover more for them.

Apokalips

Watching the highlights again and his defending is so bad for the Mane 'goal'. It's similar to his blunder against Palace when all he has to deal with is a long ball that he can see coming all the way and is positioned fine to deal with... but he just fails completely and it ends up in the back of our net.

He's reverted to looking like the calamity he was in his first season and not the competent player we saw last year.
It was shocking. He is just so unintimindating and soft. You need defenders that make players second guess themselves in the way that forwards know that even if they get past AWB he can make a ridiculous tackle out of nowhere.

Another example would be a forward challenging Maguire in the air, they just want to try and get a touch on it or disrupt his jump, because they know he'll be hard to beat but with Victor a forward can think about where they're placing their header and probably feel they can intimidate him. No forward is ever going to worry about Victor in any aspect and it's not like he's a master at snuffing out danger early or making that last ditch tackle or block.

Alabaster Codify7

As I keep saying, he's not bad but he lacks every single attribute I ask for in a top CB. His passing isn't even anything special, it's just bog-standard but the fact he can actually pass seems to delude people into thinking he's a ball-playing CB - just because he's better than Smalling in that regard.

Slow, physically weak, shite in the air, passive, a bit error prone. I suppose his physical fitness is good, which is something.

Reserve/rotation at best.

Norwich 1:3 Man Utd

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm not necessarily saying it was the wrong thing to do, as there was a lad making a run for him to cover... But him running away from Hernandez for the third goal just looks really funny when you watch it back. :lol:

criticalanalysis

I'm not necessarily saying it was the wrong thing to do, as there was a lad making a run for him to cover... But him running away from Hernandez for the third goal just looks really funny when you watch it back. :lol:
In any isolated incidence or with other players, it wasn't the 'wrong' thing to do. However, with Lindelof I totally expected him to do that because and I hate to be hybolic here, he's a coward of a defender.

The Norwich goal was 'on' McTominay (my MOTM) but I didn't expect any less from Lindelof on actually going in for a tackle or committing to affect the outcome.

I've given him a lot benefit of the doubt and have tried to 'understand' his game but all he does is defer and take a step back.

There was another occasion in the first half where he was last man and again, all he did was 'track' the run, putting no pressure on the ball and allowing them to move into our half for another 15-30 yards.

He takes no responsibility on OR off the ball.

I don't want to hear about him being a 'ball playing defender' or 'he's intelligently covering Maguire' because it's total BS. He does neither of those pro-actively with almost zero impact on the flow of the game. He sits back and sweeps up to the lowest standard and degree.

Utterly pointless and an absolute passenger.

NinjaFletch

I hate to say it, but I still think he's absolutely shit and has managed to con a living out of not really doing anything so it doesn't look like he's obviously fecked up. The anti-Bailly/Jones.

I said at the time when he came in and was making mistakes that I'd have sooner given Tuanzebe the leeway that Lindelof got and I'm not at all convinced that, even without being give that game time, Tuanzebe is not still the better player.

A-man

Solid game, but the defence was not really tested.

It was the right thing to do. The forwards crossed and Lindelof continued to cover the other one while he left Hernandez for Maguire.

Grande

In any isolated incidence or with other players, it wasn't the 'wrong' thing to do. However, with Lindelof I totally expected him to do that because and I hate to be hybolic here, he's a coward of a defender.

I don't want to hear about him being a 'ball playing defender' or 'he's intelligently covering Maguire' because it's total BS. He does neither of those pro-actively with almost zero impact on the flow of the game. He sits back and sweeps up to the lowest standard and degree.

Yes, very critical, but not too good analysis.

Yes, he did the right thing, but it was wrong to do the right thing, because he did some things wrong before?

And ‘I don’t want to hear ...’ Why not? If you can’t see a predator in the bushes, and several others warn you that they see it, your safety instinct is to cover your ears?

criticalanalysis

Yes, very critical, but not too good analysis.

Yes, he did the right thing, but it was wrong to do the right thing, because he did some things wrong before?

And ‘I don’t want to hear ...’ Why not? If you can’t see a predator in the bushes, and several others warn you that they see it, your safety instinct is to cover your ears?
Like I said, I have given him a lot benefit of the doubt, which is why him tracking the runner may seem like the 'right' thing to do but how far was he from both players (Hernandez and the runner)? He always backtracks. He never commits because he's scared of the tackle and/or getting skinned.

It might be nitpicking on this one incident but it's just simply his tendency to defend on the back foot.

Your analogy doesn't really fit here. A predator in the bushes is a fact. People saying he's a good player/defender is an opinion, which has been peddled around for 2+ years.

I don't want to hear it because I've heard it before and have actually tried to believe/see it for the same 2+ years. Yet on the pitch I see a passive, non-commital defender, who doesn't not hold his own or improve his team mates.

The fact the consensus on his performances in this thread is 50/50 at best tells you more about what everyone thinks than I do.

Red_toad

You could see the relief in his face that the player moved away from him, so it became someone else’s responsibility. He just didn’t bother closing down Hernandez, then watched him skip away from him and then he continued in the direction he was going, just eyes fully on Hernandez going away from him.

Grande

Like I said, I have given him a lot benefit of the doubt, which is why him tracking the runner may seem like the 'right' thing to do but how far was he from both players (Hernandez and the runner)? He always backtracks. He never commits because he's scared of the tackle and/or getting skinned.

It might be nitpicking on this one incident but it's just simply his tendency to defend on the back foot.

Your analogy doesn't really fit here. A predator in the bushes is a fact. People saying he's a good player/defender is an opinion, which has been peddled around for 2+ years.

I don't want to hear it because I've heard it before and have actually tried to believe/see it for the same 2+ years. Yet on the pitch I see a passive, non-commital defender, who doesn't not hold his own or improve his team mates.

The fact the consensus on his performances in this thread is 50/50 at best tells you more about what everyone thinks than I do.
Sometimes, in fact, quite often, backtracking or following is the right and effective choice. Other people prefer Jones. Regardless, if Rashford shoots into the bottom corner when unmarked at 20 yards, it’s not an example of him being a reckless shooter just because he fires a lot of Row Z’s from 30 yards.

The predator simily was actually quite good. A predator in the bushes is, as intelligence in Lindelöf, something that is or isn’t there (I should say, to a degree). Someone claiming they see a predator in the bushes, expresses an opinion, as do those who see nothing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
His heading ability is so bad. Was he not an original centre back when he was a kid? Everytime he's heading the ball, it's either he missed it or not strong enough.

He's here to buy us more time for Tuanzebe to settle in be Maguire's partnership.

ManuMou

The Norwich goal was 'on' McTominay (my MOTM) but I didn't expect any less from Lindelof on actually going in for a tackle or committing to affect the outcome.

I've given him a lot benefit of the doubt and have tried to 'understand' his game but all he does is defer and take a step back.

There was another occasion in the first half where he was last man and again, all he did was 'track' the run, putting no pressure on the ball and allowing them to move into our half for another 15-30 yards.

He takes no responsibility on OR off the ball.

I wouldn’t call him absolute passenger but I agree with whatever you said. The goal is on both McTom and Lindelof.

I want a replacement for Lindelof but it’s not a high priority. He is just not United quality. He does okay. I would keep him as sub when we get his replacement.

Fredrik.A

People blaming him for the goal :lol: If any cb was to blame, it was Maguire. Thought he was good yesterday. Certainly better than Maguire.

Teffe

People blaming him for the goal :lol: If any cb was to blame, it was Maguire. Thought he was good yesterday. Certainly better than Maguire.
Yeah hilarious. Sometimes I wish Lindelof was a bit tougher in his style of play. But covering the runner is schoolbook defending from him. Taking one step towards Hernandez and Hernandez would drop the ball to the runner leaving a 1on1 with De Gea.

criticalanalysis

Sometimes, in fact, quite often, backtracking or following is the right and effective choice. Other people prefer Jones. Regardless, if Rashford shoots into the bottom corner when unmarked at 20 yards, it’s not an example of him being a reckless shooter just because he fires a lot of Row Z’s from 30 yards.

The predator simily was actually quite good. A predator in the bushes is, as intelligence in Lindelöf, something that is or isn’t there (I should say, to a degree). Someone claiming they see a predator in the bushes, expresses an opinion, as do those who see nothing.
Look, you can have all the fun with the linguistic merry go round but I'm just simply calling a spade for a spade.

Obviously it is an subjective opinion but I am happy to do that for every single squad member.

I liked Herrera when he was here but acknowledged he was erratic with positioning and passing. De God has amazing reflexes but terrible box command. Pogba is brilliant creatively but inconsistent. Lingard was brillaint off the ball and has now just fallen off a cliff form wise. Peirera has technical ability but lacks experience (which he is building right now rightly or wrongly as a 1st team member). Smalling is a very good pure defender but lacks finesse on the ball. Young is bad but it's a waste of breath to blame him for his performances (by being on the pitch) when Shaw, who I still have hope for has had an atrocious injury record. Maguire has been largely good but he is prone to mistakes and lapses of concentration i.e he's not quite the one-stop-shop-rock we thought he may have been. Etc and so on.

I like to think that I'm making fairly neutral judgements because I can see the good and the bad that most people can see.

And with that Lindelof has not shown any consistent redeeming standout quality other than just being a body in defence. A 6.5 at the best of times and a clear 6 most of the time.

Grande

Look, you can have all the fun with the linguistic merry go round but I'm just simply calling a spade for a spade.

Obviously it is an subjective opinion but I am happy to do that for every single squad member.

I liked Herrera when he was here but acknowledged he was erratic with positioning and passing. De God has amazing reflexes but terrible box command. Pogba is brilliant creatively but inconsistent. Lingard was brillaint off the ball and has now just fallen off a cliff form wise. Peirera has technical ability but lacks experience (which he is building right now rightly or wrongly as a 1st team member). Smalling is a very good pure defender but lacks finesse on the ball. Young is bad but it's a waste of breath to blame him for his performances (by being on the pitch) when Shaw, who I still have hope for has had an atrocious injury record. Maguire has been largely good but he is prone to mistakes and lapses of concentration i.e he's not quite the one-stop-shop-rock we thought he may have been. Etc and so on.

I like to think that I'm making fairly neutral judgements because I can see the good and the bad that most people can see.

And with that Lindelof has not shown any consistent redeeming standout quality other than just being a body in defence. A 6.5 at the best of times and a clear 6 most of the time.
My opinion is that you are calling an AISAK (Artificially Intelligent Swedish Army Knife) for a spade. And that is not just linguistic fun.

Chelsea 1:2 Man Utd

Andersons Dietician

Bar one moment where he did that thing he does where he lets ball bounce under pressure when he is facing his own goal thought he was really good.

I don’t know why he keeps doing that thing by the way. My only thought is maybe he thinks he can take it down and play out but he’s been caught out this way a few times already this season. Just wish he would sort that out and get better at heading and he’d probably be a solid player for us.

A-man

Was good today. Think the goal was the only shot on target as long as he was on the pitch. Good positioning, good tackles and overall solid. They seem to be more and more comfortable with 3 at the back. Hope the limping off wasn’t another CB injury.

Mickson

I know Alonso is decent in the air but it's notably how easy he gets beaten in the air. Looked like a schoolboy one time there. Other than that I think he was decent. As someone said earlier (and I have said that as well) he doesn't really do much and is pretty anonymous most of the time he is playing. Don't know what to do with that but.

criticalanalysis

Was good today. Think the goal was the only shot on target as long as he was on the pitch. Good positioning, good tackles and overall solid. They seem to be more and more comfortable with 3 at the back. Hope the limping off wasn’t another CB injury.
What did you think of their goal and Maguire/Lindelof's involvement in it?

That aside, I thought he was okay just like the other two centre backs.

Teffe

he probably thinks Maguire got it covered, and knowing Rojo is also covering, he shouldnt have to bother about it. Should he slidetackle both Maguire and the Chelsea guy in one tackle?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Bar one moment where he did that thing he does where he lets ball bounce under pressure when he is facing his own goal thought he was really good.

I don’t know why he keeps doing that thing by the way. My only thought is maybe he thinks he can take it down and play out but he’s been caught out this way a few times already this season. Just wish he would sort that out and get better at heading and he’d probably be a solid player for us.
It's really weird to see him do that, or something similar every game. Maguire has got a few mistakes in him too but is better on the ball than Victor. I don't think you necessarily need to centre-halves whose main attributes are being good on the ball. In the long-run I think Maguire would be better with a more defensively solid partner with Victor as first back up.

A-man

Lindelof could have done something early in the situation, tackle, touch, pull, etc. Then when he turned in to the centre there is not muchindelicate can do about it, it is more on Maguire and Rojo.

When they play 4 at the back Lindelof always cover when Maguire goes for a header. In a 3 at the back formation, he has more responsibility for the outer part of the field, behind AWB, which we saw here. But I actually thought Rojo was covering and was in a good position, just that he didn’t execute very well. Main fault for the goal is however Maguire.

El Jefe

The softest CB in the PL. He might make less mistakes than Jones or Bailly make or be more assured on the ball than Smalling but he provides me with nerves in his own way. As a striker you always feel you have a chance with Lindelof whether its a 50/50 ball, areial duels or just duels in general. He's so timid when defending and that's egregious for a premier league defender.

He should be one of the first names out of the starting lineup in the summer but unless Ole goes, I don't see this happening.

Kostov

Iceman my ass. Pretty average CB by all accounts, Wilson smelled blood today and got the better out of him almost every single time.

A-man

Poor effort at the goal together with AWB and Maguire. He shouldn’t have covered the pass but helped Bissaka instead. And Maguire should just take off to force AWB in to that situation. Rest was ok imo. Some good passes through the line.

Ekeke

He made our most passes today with 76 (17 more than next, Fred) and 84% accuracy. Thats not bad right?

But can someone explain to me what we get out of that? He played one good pass into the front players in the 2nd half that wasnt able to be taken advantage of. Other than that I don't believe that his 75 other passes were useful to us and made a difference to our attack. And thats on a day where he played our most passes, not one of the usual days when he plays less than Maguire.

Status
Not open for further replies.