Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

His issues are well known now, the passivity, lack of aggression, what good things he can bring, sweeping behind, occasionally pentrative passing don't make up for his weakness. He is just not a very effective defensive player, good footballer yes, but he would have to be a great one to build a defensive unit around his flaws.

We added to his issues by adding another flawed CB to be his partner.

A-man

Feels like playing 3 at the back doesnt really work for this team.

PoTMS

Do Barcelona still want him? Get rid and bring Smalling back.

A-man

Do Barcelona still want him? Get rid and bring Smalling back.
It easy to say things like that, but a I doubt there would be a better result tonight with Smalling. Probably much worse.

kundalini

Terrible performance. The moment when he failed to kick the ball out of play with De Gea on the floor, that led to their disallowed goal, was incredible. No sign of his supposed composure on the ball today.

Very fortunate to be a regular in the team. So many mistakes since Christmas.

Not convinced by the Lindelof + Maguire partnership, too slow, neither of them takes enough responsibility on the ball.

Last edited:

A-man

Playing 3 in this game helped us. Salah was not even on the pitch until we went back to 4 - 2 - 2 and shaw went off.
In that sense I think you’re right, but I believe it came at the expense of not having any control at the back or the midfield. Not being able to play through the press for example. But after only conceding 1 after 90 minutes (at a setpiece) maybe the plan worked.

The United

In that sense I think you’re right, but I believe it came at the expense of not having any control at the back or the midfield. Not being able to play through the press for example. But after only conceding 1 after 90 minutes (at a setpiece) maybe the plan worked.
You don't go for control at anfield especially with the current squad. We were always going to do hit and run.

Having more players at the back actually helps with their press. It was not like we had press resistance midfielders sitting on the bench today for it.

jem

Terrible performance. The moment when he failed to kick the ball out of play with De Gea on the floor, that led to their disallowed goal, was incredible. No sign of his supposed composure on the ball today.

Very fortunate to be a regular in the team. So many mistakes since Christmas.
I missed the game but just watched that highlight now. He is damn lucky that goal was disallowed - absolutely criminal to be so lackadaisical with the ball.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I said it two years ago and I'll say it again, he's not good enough. I don't think he's responsible for every single chance and goal we have conceded since he joined like some people in here desperately are trying to argue, but he's nowhere near the quality required to get us to where we want to be and today is yet another good example of that.

Suedesi

Just too soft and not the right character.
100%

Soft, and doesn't have the streak of meanness that great CB's have. I was pulling my hair out when he was trying to play from the back time and time again in the second half, giving possession to LFC 30 yards from goal.

Also why the feck didn't he jump on the Van Dijk goal? Just do anything to obstruct his view, make it more difficult for him rather than have a clear sight. He's too nice a defender, we need an asshole like Sergio Ramos.

LJJT

He was fairly good today but he’s just no where near good enough. If he was in the sky studio today with Roy, Carragher, souness etc he would piss his pants he’s too soft. Needs selling to Barca

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Should have done a lot better on the disallowed goal, no way should he be losing possession so easily there.
Then again he was the only one who was still playing as the rest of them ran away.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Doesn't jump even on corners. I've never seen a defender so hesitant to get close to the football.

Maguire atleast tries and fails.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Yeah watching the ball and cowering like he was going to get a barge on a corner was almost as embarrassing as the disallowed goal. What does he have to do to get dropped?

If Bailey is fit give him a run of games and can this softy out.

Yeah watching the ball and cowering like he was going to get a barge on a corner was almost as embarrassing as the disallowed goal. What does he have to do to get dropped?

Yeah hes fit now, he was on the bench. Hopefully he partners Maguire going forward now.

arthurka

Been on his case for a while now, he is an absolute nothing defender who gives away goals or big chances almost every game. Passive, no heart, no aggression, a reactive player but never proactive. Can't head the ball and his passing game is dodgy at best. Put Jones there asap with him at least you never expect anything positive. How he is still being played in there as a starter is really baffling.

The United

Eh no thanks.

Bailey is shit in the air and super rash on the ground. At least Lindelof is not that bad on the ground.

And, I am not even a fan of Lindelof.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Eh no thanks.

Bailey is shit in the air and super rash on the ground. At least Lindelof is not that bad on the ground.

And, I am not even a fan of Lindelof.
Only because he actively tries to not engage in any tackles or duels. I could not get beat if I constantly backed off and let others do my dirty work.

At one point today Wan Bissaka was trying to engage Mane then Robertson as Lindelof backed off into the area marking no one gesturing for Wan Bissaka to engage both. We played a 3 meaning he needed to cover over to wide areas when AWB pushed on.

Devil may care

He was ok in the second half but he had a shocker in the first half, looked completely rattled by the occassion.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's time to get rid of this bumbling oaf.

He had 1 decent season and gets an extension. Woodward is a fool.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think he was decent. At least he does not take ages before playing a pass like his partner.
A good manager could make a good CB of him.

Bebestation

I think he was decent. At least he does not take ages before playing a pass like his partner.
A good manager could make a good CB of him.
No mate.

Good managers have made good defenders off maguire who is apparently playing with an injury at the moment and injections or what not.

Lindelof is just scared of the football.

I'm sure we are zonal marking because of him.

Champagne Football

Like every single one of our signings since Fergie quit, he's a squad player who we paid the money of a first teamer for.

I'm absolutely expecting a bid for Tyrone Mings or Ben White in the summer. Hopefully Barca come back in for Victor. He doesn't seem suited to the PL.

Bebestation

Like every single one of our signings since Fergie quit, he's a squad player who we paid the money of a first teamer for.

I'm absolutely expecting a bid for Tyrone Mings or Ben White in the summer. Hopefully Barca come back in for Victor. He doesn't seem suited to the PL.
Because Tyrone mings and Ben White are good or because they are squad players too?

PaulRich

I just don't think hes got the cojones to make it here. Absolute comedy moment clearing after the VVD challenge - if he'd have done his job properly the game would have just carried on without the need for a VAR check. Looked shit scared all afternoon. We need to have a crack at letting Bailly partner Maguire.

Champagne Football

Because Tyrone mings and Ben White are good or because they are squad players too?
Probably Harry Maguire level. Good enough for a Top 4 team, suited to the PL despite limitations. Most importantly - able to defend crosses and set pieces.

Being a phenomenon in a weaker league, doesn't always translate to being suited to the PL, as Mkhitaryan, Anderson, Memphis, Blind etc have found out.

Ekeke

If he and Bailly were combined into 1 CB, that CB would be pretty good. Pace, strength, Lindelof's backing off would counter Bailly's rashness in challenges, Bailly can go on a decent dribble, Lindelof can make a decent pass. Somehow the player would still be weak in the air. But you'd have a solid CB.

Right now they're 2 halves of a solid CB. Both have too many problems to be a starter and they're better than Rojo...

Status
Not open for further replies.