Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This might be silly but Blind might be more brave as defender than him, ducking from headers and similar, its a weird thing for a CB, ball playing is all fine and good but those are bacis things, not expecting of him to provide Vidic stuff.
This is what pains me about him. I just don't like that. If he was David Luiz good on the ball, and scored long rangers every other game maybe I'd except it. We do live in a modern world, but hey somethings got to stay the same. A defender needs to be tough, and he needs to love his job or else he is just filling in, which is what Lindelof does. He reminds me of Carrick when he played as a makeshift CB. He did a few good things, but he wasn't a defender was the problem.

Raven

Thought he was decent. They scored from a goalkeeping cock up, didn't really look likely after that.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Thought he was decent. They scored from a goalkeeping cock up, didn't really look likely after that.
I didn't really notice him a lot and they didn't have that many chances. He gets away with so much that I guess he has to be doing something right. It's just if that is good enough? Just enough to barely be visibly decent, every game. Pretty low standard, imo. Needs to improve quickly but the thing is he hasn't got another level in him.

Hawks2008

I like him but he's probably a 3rd choice CB at best, if it wasn't for the gaping holes in attack and midfield I'd be wanting us to replace him.

A new CB must be on the agenda for summer 2021.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wasn't absolutely awful or anything. But he's just such a non defending centre back. Loves standing off attackers letting them do their shit in peace. How us the days of Vidic making their lives a living hell.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am now in danger to be new @Ekeke ( sorry mate ;) ) with Lindelof because i am always defending him. He is not world class and has flaws (especially his strength) but is he doing something wrong? No. He lost one header as i remember( so was Maguire in opening minutes in the edge of the box). As always he dealt situations one on one excellent, he was couple of times on wide space with attacker and wasn't beat once. People say that Maguire had great game( and he had to be clear) but was Lindelof worse? I think not.
He had only one slight feck up when he made a foul on the edge of the box.

There is one thing that bugs me and that is double standards especially on match thread. Maguire clearing easy cross in corner; great defending. Lindelof stops attacker one on one by kicking ball in corner; bad defending. How?

And people keep talking about his pace. He is not slow ffs. He is not Bailly but he is fast for defender. When he was outpaced by attacker?

MadMike

Pretty outrageous statement that :lol:

They looked likely to score with next immediate attack, when Calvert-Lewin ran behind Lindelof and clean through on goal with only a very good De Gea save averting it. They looked like scoring all second half, with De Gea, the post and VAR saving us.

Some people just see what they want to see I guess.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think a lot of the problem with him is intangible stuff. For example, to me, he never really looks he enjoys defending... it looks like it's a massive burden/effort for him, and he'd rather avoid a defensive situation then relish it.

Contrast that with Maguire, who looked like he was having the time of his life heading every single one of those corners away.... and yes, its intangible, and maybe it's unfair, but it is something.

marko goalo

For me he just doesn't excel at any particular part of his game. He's pretty weak on aerial duels, never looks comfortable with the ball at his feet when given time when more often than not he hoofs it down the line. For me he's pretty much a 6/10 every week. Nothing more nothing less. Shame really

AshRK

He is not a bad defender but he is not a leader too. I feel had Maguire had more pace Lindelof would have looked even better in the sense his flaws wouldn't be there to be seen this much. I don't mind him and honestly wouldn't be spending 100m to get a new defender. We have Bailly and Tuanzebe who can replace him if needed be and then we have Mengi from the youth ranks who has been receiving some great reviews. I am fine having him in our squad.

Fosu-Mens

Quite enjoyed his little forages forward last night. Looked calm and confident working the ball out of defence and his passing was good last night.
Never been an issue. Still, he is the best central defender at the club when it comes to bringing the ball forward to create advantageous situations or being efficient in general on the ball. Still, struggled in the physical duels.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not nearly as shit as this asylum makes out. Good asset for the club.

A-man

Never been an issue. Still, he is the best central defender at the club when it comes to bringing the ball forward to create advantageous situations or being efficient in general on the ball. Still, struggled in the physical duels.
He brings the ball forward too seldom however. The reason could be confidence, but more likely it is because he has the task to cover for Maguire and AWB, which means he is not so free to go forward. He is almost always last man.

Fosu-Mens

He brings the ball forward too seldom however. The reason could be confidence, but more likely it is because he has the task to cover for Maguire and AWB, which means he is not so free to go forward. He is almost always last man.
And him being the last man, going up against faster and/or stronger attackers is not a good setup. Same with Maguire against agile attackers.

He was good. Did his job well and with Derby being a bit shit he was able to get forward a lot too. Right now Bailly and him are neck and neck for the second CB spot, at least until Bailly gets injured.

Based Adnan

Looks a lot more confident at LCB
I think it's more to do with him having more ball carrying responsibilities with the absence of Maguire as opposed to playing LCB. RCB has always been his preferred side.

binary bot
And him being the last man, going up against faster and/or stronger attackers is not a good setup. Same with Maguire against agile attackers.
100%. Him and Maguire are both negatives for each other, but I think Lindelof gets the shorter end of the two. He's the one always picking up the pacier attacker, and I don't think it's just positioning. Whilst Baily might be inconsistent himself, he'll bring out better performances in the other two.

Maguire is the obvious choice due to his aerial dominance.

Fosu-Mens

100%. Him and Maguire are both negatives for each other, but I think Lindelof gets the shorter end of the two. He's the one always picking up the pacier attacker, and I don't think it's just positioning. Whilst Baily might be inconsistent himself, he'll bring out better performances in the other two.

Maguire is the obvious choice due to his aerial dominance.
In a team wanting to keep possession and dominating games, it is ok with 1 slow and or weak in the air. Likewise, in a team wanting to sit back, having one or both of them lacking pace is ok, as long as they are both dominant in the air.

Problem is that both are slow (Maguire is extremely immobile) and Lindelof is not good in physical duels either. And we are not really dominating possession. If we played 3 at the back, or one of our midfielders dropped deep when in possession, we could play Lindelof without him becoming a liability, or Maguire being in danger of 1v1 in a footrace. Nor would it be a big problem if we were extremely good at retaining possession and allowing for few counter-attacks against on average. But we do neither.

If we were to build a central defender partnership from scratch, I would not have either on the block. Both have limitations in their game that needs accommodation and would impact the way we play if we had a relevant approach on how to play.

OrcaFat

If we are comparing Lindelof with our other CBs he is probably 2nd after Maguire. Maguire is the best we have despite his shortcomings - he’s a leader, strong and generally good on the ball.

Lindelof is second best but doesn’t have the right attributes to pair most effectively with Maguire. I’d prefer someone with genuine pace as their main attribute, a Des Walker type. Obviously the more attributes the better but blistering recovery pace is critical. Maguire looks like he’s running in treacle if someone gets half a yard on him.

Lindelof needs replacing in the starting 11 but would be a decent first reserve. For us that is. He’s plenty good enough to be first choice at the majority of top clubs.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Can somebody please tell me what Lindelof's strengths are as a centre back that should be first team at our club? I see some talk of him being "good on the ball / distribution", but really? He seems fairly average in that department to me.

A-man

Calm and perfectly positioned the whole game. Won back the ball high up the pitch several times in first half, something I really want to see more of.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Credit to him, brilliant today. Not a huge fan of him but suits the back 3 a lot more than a straight partner for Maguire in a back 4. Added pace of Shaw there helps.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was excellent today, covered for Maguire early in the game. Probably his best game.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He did a good job. Still needs to be a bit calmer on the ball and cut out those misplaced risky passes. He has at least one of those each game. His hoofs needs to be a bit more accurate too. Defensively I thought he did very well despite his flaws.

A-man

He did a good job. Still needs to be a bit calmer on the ball and cut out those misplaced risky passes. He has at least one of those each game. His hoofs needs to be a bit more accurate too. Defensively I thought he did very well despite his flaws.
I agree with you on a general level; that he needs to cut out risky misplaced passes. Has been a few totally unnecessary. But today? He missed 3 passes in the entire game which is extremely high against a team like City.

On another note, I think he lost his being-dribbled virginity today.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I agree with you on a general level; that he needs to cut out risky misplaced passes. Has been a few totally unnecessary. But today? He missed 3 passes in the entire game which is extremely high against a team like City.

On another note, I think he lost his being-dribbled virginity today.
When?

SAFMUTD

Great game from the ice man, the three at the back formation really suits him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don’t know in which situation it’s supposed to have happened as I don’t recall it happening myself, but it said “dribbled past” once in the stats from the match (whoscored.com).
Meh, i didn't see it so it didn't happen :wenger: .

Status
Not open for further replies.