Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KetilOwren88

It’s so frustrating. Had some good initiatives forward and better on the ball than his partner, then he suddenly drops completely off with Giroud. This time it’s also not only about beeing week, but focus and lack of consentration.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He obviously isn’t. Blind is heavily underrated as a CB. It was idiotic to let him go, because he was not only one of the best CBs we had at the time, but also the most intelligent and versatile player we had.
He was also a good midfielder and should've only been sold when we had clear upgrades. But we sold him for peanuts and spent £70m on two players from Benfica and Chelsea who aren't better. Ajax meanwhile almost reached a UCL final with Blind.

A-man

Depends on the manager. A no-nonsense manager would not care that much IMO, and would do what is best for the club. If the manager thinks that Lindelof is better than Maguire (and there can be a debate on it) and signs a new defender, then it would be moronic to play Maguire. If he thinks that Maguire is better, then Magure plays.

Some managers don't give a shit about the Englishness. Pep Guardiola put Hart out of the team the second he arrived there, and Hart was next to Rooney, the most beloved English player back then.
But as the debate is now, it is about how they should compliment each other.
Then you must know whom to compliment before you buy another. Imo they do compliment each other. Not in every aspect but very few CB pairs compliment each other perfectly.

Revan

Assumptionman
I am pretty sure that Maguire and Lindelof will start together next season. They have been good for most of the season. If there will be a new CB he will not be a 100 mill top player but someone at the same level as Lindelof or below, as a backup player and to compete for starting xi. If big money are being spent for next season, it will not be in defence.
Agree. I think Sancho and a new midfielder is gonna happen this season, and then the summer after that a CB.

Revan

Assumptionman
But as the debate is now, it is about how they should compliment each other. Then you must know who to compliment before you buy another. Imo they do compliment each other. Not in every aspect but very few CB pairs compliment each other perfectly.
True. Though both have the same big weakness, not having enough speed, which means that the new defender whoever is him, needs to be fast. Of course, if he replaces Maguire, he needs to be strong in the air too, but hopefully, that is a given in any case.

I wouldn't mind seeing both of them getting replaced, but likely ain't gonna happen for another 3 years. I think that our defense is by far the biggest weakness though, they all have problems and our fullbacks offer next to nothing in attack.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Which one is worst, IMO. Otherwise, by the same logic, we should have kept Rooney and Sanchez too.

I have seen people here saying that the fee was not Maguire's fault and he should not be judged on it. But also, advocating him to be untouchable precisely because of the massive fee.

Also, the captaincy can be stripped. It was a moronic decision to make captain an average player who has been here for 6 months.
It's real world logic. If Lindelof was obviously better then Maguire then fair enough, but as he isn't... So anyone thinking that if we bought a new CB he wouldn't be paired first and foremost with Maguire is living on another planet.

Surprised no one else is picking this up. De Gea was 100% at fault and it was a poor ball from Brandon but what the hell was he doing? It was there to be won/closed down but he kept backing off because he's scared of making a decision and taking responsibility.

Backing off and letting the opponent come into your half or towards the edge of your penalty box is not 'smart' defending. It's just passive and weak.

He did this against Traore at Wolves too where the ball was there to be won.
Our supposed strong CB did exactly the same thing though, they were both running away from the shot.

The injury, that tactics, and the change in tactics were all over the place today and subsequently so was the team.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's real world logic. If Lindelof was obviously better then Maguire then fair enough, but as he isn't... So anyone thinking that if we bought a new CB he wouldn't be paired first and foremost with Maguire is living on another planet.
That's fair enough. If the new manager thinks that Maguire is better, then sure. If not, then why should a new manager care about how much Ole spent on him (obviously Ole is never gonna drop Maguire, but when Ole's time is gone, I think that Maguire might have a reality check).

A-man

True. Though both have the same big weakness, not having enough speed, which means that the new defender whoever is him, needs to be fast. Of course, if he replaces Maguire, he needs to be strong in the air too, but hopefully, that is a given in any case.

I wouldn't mind seeing both of them getting replaced, but likely ain't gonna happen for another 3 years. I think that our defense is by far the biggest weakness though, they all have problems and our fullbacks offer next to nothing in attack.
Maguire is not just good in the air, he is also very very dominant. I would say dominant is his greatest feature. Most of the CBs that people have discussed as replacers are actually weaker than Lindelof in the air, and far from Maguire.
Lack of speed hasn’t cost unnecessary goals this season. I would say that better organisation at set pieces would have made biggest difference. Not speed.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Against Southampton I was pissed at him for not having the strength to clear the man/ball with the last minute goal.

Today on at least 2 occasions, one of which was the goal I saw him literally get palmed aside by the attacker.

The guy must have some kind of record for the most steps backwards too

Only plus point was that he tried passing forward at times though other times he irritated me with his sideways deference to maguire 2 feet away

I hate passive defending. I’ll never take to this chap I think

paulscholes18

If Michail Antonio targets him on Wednesday he could get some joy, faster and stronger than Lindelof. Had a shocker vs Giroud this evening

SambaBoy

If we want to be serious about winning trophies then we need an upgrade on him. He's very timid in his defending, backs off way too much, doesn't intercept, poor in the air and gets bullied within the box.

Revan

Assumptionman
Against Southampton I was pissed at him for not having the strength to clear the man/ball with the last minute goal.

Today on at least 2 occasions, one of which was the goal I saw him literally get palmed aside by the attacker.

Only plus point was that he tried passing forward at times though other times he irritated me with his sideways deference to maguire 2 feet away

This is so true.

Thing is, he actually is not too bad when he bothers to challenge for balls. And his aerial duels percentage while not spectacular is totally respectable. His defensive abilities in 1 on 1 are okay, as is his tackling. His speed actually is not that bad too.

The biggest problem is that he prefers making steps backwards rather than actually challenging for the ball. Sure, it makes him get dribbled quite less than Maguire (and consequently make fewer mistakes), but it also make us win the ball less and gives more opportunity to the other team.

Ole should have a chat with him. Either be more aggressive or be in the bench.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If Michail Antonio targets him on Wednesday he could get some joy, faster and stronger than Lindelof. Had a shocker vs Giroud this evening
Ah feck, and I never thought I'd need to worry about Michail Antonio as a striker:nervous:

Bojan11

Not even a squad player. David May and Henning Berg were much better players, nevermind Stam and Johnsen. I can count the United centre backs I think Lindelof is better than. Sadly most of them besides William Prunier and Mikael Sylvestre were signed since 2013.
Silvestre was good.

Jibbs

Lindelof is a good footballer but just not suited to EPL and the way united plays. I think he will be perfect for a la liga side, perhaps even Barcelona. But we need to get rid of him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This CB pairing is poor, we need someone with recovery pace and also you can't have a CB who is so poor physically.

E-mal

I hardly comment in this thread because I feel he is a squard player at best. How can you be CB and be so poor physically and positionally? There is always a talking point with him every game. Twice now he has been on the wrong side of an attacker leading to a goal.

Jibbs

If Tuanzebe can be fit next season, for sure he will partner Maguire instead
Tuanzebe is not ready yet. It will be a mistake and injustice to him as well to rely on him next season. He should be 2nd choice at best. We need to sign a proper experienced CB to partner Maguire.

Mcking

Fecking up the offside trap and not getting across on the cover are two of the biggest errors for Centre halfs as far as I'm concerned.

Very infuriating indeed. Makes everyone across the backline look like idiots.

He just doesn't take responsibility. There was a particular stat that was posted here about his tackling, but you could see he selects the physical duels he goes for.

He's very cultured and comfortably deals with most loose balls, but when an opponent is in play, he gives the impression that he'd rather not be there. De Gea and him leaves everybody else with too much to do.

Revan

Assumptionman
Daley Blind's a better centre back than him and equally effective in the air. Let that sink in.
No way in hell. He had 38% aerial duels won in 15-16 (when he played as CB) in 89 duels. The next season he had 53% win rate at 47 duels.

Lindelof is at 64% in 139 duels this season, while had a 62.7% win rate in 110 duels last season. So much more effective, while making many more attempts.

I think that Blind was a good CB, but he was quite weak in the air (except that match against Lukaku).

Revan

Assumptionman
Why is he called the iceman?
Cause he likes ice-creams.

More seriously, I believe he was considered a strong nonsense defender who is also calm on the ball. Now why he was considered so, I have no idea. Maybe the Portuguese are physically weak or something, and he dominated them. Maybe cause he is a Nordic player who played in a Southern country. Probably the later.

A-man

Both him and Maguire had a poor performance yesterday but people are overreacting. There is no way we could have the second best defensive record in the league if they, plus DDG, are as useless as some here believe. Liverpool too lost with 2 goals agaisnt Chelsea in the FA cup with goals and chances that didn’t really flatter the centre backs. It happens.

izec

He is a perfect squad player, as was Blind. Rarely injured, but he is not good enough ultimately, too many things lacking for a CB.
Not a starting CB for any top 4 club anyway. Needs upgrading in the summer

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Agree. I think Sancho and a new midfielder is gonna happen this season, and then the summer after that a CB.
I think Tuanzebe will get his chance next season, if he can stay fit, and if he does I hope people let him grow into the role, and not throw him to the wolves after his first mistake. I've never been a Lindelof fan, there's something lacking, physicality, awareness, heading ability, all of these to a certain extent, but overall has never filled me with confidence when he's played. Bailly is a far better CB in my opinion, but always gets slated for his 'brain farts' (all players make mistakes), but he is a proper defender, similar to Vidic in that he gives his all, whereas Lindelof does seem a bit passive.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Both him and Maguire had a poor performance yesterday but people are overreacting. There is no way we could have the second best defensive record in the league if they, plus DDG, are as useless as some here believe. Liverpool too lost with 2 goals agaisnt Chelsea in the FA cup with goals and chances that didn’t really flatter the centre backs. It happens.
It does happen. Sure.
But lindelof is a touch point, we seem to be talking about him at least every second game because of a mistake or mistakes he’s making

A-man

It does happen. Sure.
But lindelof is a touch point, we seem to be talking about him at least every second game because of a mistake or mistakes he’s making
When CBs make mistakes there is often a goal conceded, that’s how it is. Lindelof has however made quite few mistakes this season. When he makes a mistake, or has a poor performance, there is always people calling for replacing him. I really doubt he will be replaced in the nearest future considering the good results we have achieved lately. Before this match there was a long stretch of unbeaten matches with very few goals conceded.

Woziak

He played more or less every PL game this season and we’re 1 point from top 3 so I’m not sure how you worked that out.
With the lowest points tally ever to be third in the PL, one of the weakest premier leagues in recent memory, he’s a good footballer , average defender, always gets bullied in physical one on ones and lacks Smalling pace and physicality, Would Nathan Ake, J Laycelles or J Tarkowski be better options if the answer is yes you understand the issue because none of those 3 should be anywhere near a United starting 11 !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.