Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

He was very talented but struggled with the nature of the PL and would have continued to do so if we remained here. He went on to become one of the best because he found the perfect environment for his style of play and style of defending. The ever criticized Evans performed better therefor it was easy for Fergie to let him go. And Pique's talent was in another stratosphere compared to Lindelof.

And what evidence is that exactly? A tabloid rumor that Barca wanted him? You have Pep actually talking about wanting Maguire how many times? What does than mean then?
Pique was rated very highly. He was also in a team with Rio and Vidic and wanted first team football. No chance he was getting in.

So are you saying, you have never believed a tabloid rumour? Do you believe United are in for Sancho?

Kostov

Thats your assessment. In my opinion he could have adapted here given more time. But I guess righting off young players who have not played alot of games is a thing
As I said I don't think he would gone and had the career in the game if he stayed here, nothing to do with righting off a young player. As I said Evans looked much better and I think Fergie rated him higher.

Pique was rated very highly. He was also in a team with Rio and Vidic and wanted first team football. No chance he was getting in.

So are you saying, you have never believed a tabloid rumour? Do you believe United are in for Sancho?
I believe it to a degree when it comes from reputable sources. However I believe more in actual quotes, and you can find ones of Maguire by Pep for example.

Squeaky Bumtime

What's all this comparing with Maguire about anyway? And downing one to up the other. They're our CB partners who should compliment each other and that is still a work in progress.

Squeaky Bumtime

He slows the opponent down is one thing. He rarely commit unnecessary fouls or penalties which is a nice upgrade from the CBs before him. That’s two of the things he does good.
Thats fair, misunderstood your post, when you put it like that it's logical and I agree.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
As I said I don't think he would gone and had the career in the game if he stayed here, nothing to do with righting off a young player. As I said Evans looked much better and I think Fergie rated him higher.

I believe it to a degree when it comes from reputable sources. However I believe more in actual quotes, and you can find ones of Maguire by Pep for example.
Tyler Blackett also looked better than Michael Keane when given more time. My point about Pique was that the subset he was being judged on here is limited. Hence why I say your assessment is at the very least premature or in some cases niave

Kostov

Tyler Blackett also looked better than Michael Keane when given more time. My point about Pique was that the subset he was being judged on here is limited. Hence why I say your assessment is at the very least premature or in some cases niave
No he didn't, LVG was just a loon and an absolute moron. Blackett apart from his early promise was never ever good enough for Manchester United, he was just left footed and the moron did what he did. Yes Pique was judged on a limited amount of chances and Fergie had the luxury of another very talented young CB to count on, and that's without the first team CBs. I watched Pique when he was here and imo as I already stated he did the right thing for himself. Regarding Lindelof using some talk from his agent about Barca interest is also very premature when talking about what top teams would choose between him and Maguire.

Cassidy

No he didn't, LVG was just a loon and an absolute moron. Blackett apart from his early promise was never ever good enough for Manchester United, he was just left footed and the moron did what he did. Yes Pique was judged on a limited amount of chances and Fergie had the luxury of another very talented young CB to count on, and that's without the first team CBs. I watched Pique when he was here and imo as I already stated he did the right thing for himself. Regarding Lindelof using some talk from his agent about Barca interest is also very premature when talking about what top teams would choose between him and Maguire.
I am saying you are judging Pique on limited data not Fergie. As Fergie always rated him highly, we just had alot of talent at CB at the time and just like Pogba Pique wasnt patient. Thats how it goes sometimes

Kostov

I am saying you are judging Pique on limited data not Fergie. As Fergie always rated him highly, we just had alot of talent at CB at the time and just like Pogba Pique wasnt patient. Thats how it goes sometimes
Well I can analyze what I saw and what played out, Fergie also despite rating him highly didn't have much of a problem with selling him for peanuts. Pogba for example was a completely different story, Fergie did not want to lose him, I think it shows how much he rated them respectively.

It's also a fact that Pique made his name in a team under Pep behind the most dominant midfield ever, displaying his ball playing capabilities and hiding his shortcomings. In our team it would have played out differently.

Halftrack

According to different sources Viggo maybe has a little bit of domestic “problems” atm. A little bit of alcohol, sunny weather and maybe a couple of unidentified “friends” at the wrong location. Nobody knows exactly what happened but according to gossip it went from bad to worse when the night was over.
Unsourced and completely unverifiable gossip? Seems legit.

Red_toad

Thats why Barca wanted Lindelof last summer and not Maguire
Just as a club is linked to a player, it does not mean they have any interest in the player.
They were looking for a centre half and Lindelöf was seeking an improved contract. No official bid made so zero evidence of any interest. Just agent trying to strengthen their hand, happens all the time and muppets lap it up.

Cassidy

Just as a club is linked to a player, it does not mean they have any interest in the player.
They were looking for a centre half and Lindelöf was seeking an improved contract. No official bid made so zero evidence of any interest. Just agent trying to strengthen their hand, happens all the time and muppets lap it up.
You should maybe take a look at who wanted him from his Benfica times vs who wanted Maguire then you would see what I mean.

Lindelof has always been rated as a good talent and has also played at a higher level than Maguire (UCL)

Im not even saying who is better just that outside of the PL do not assume that Maguire is more rated in Europe because that would probably be wrong. Which is the point I was making

georgipep

Now the stat doesn't mean anything....

The Lindelof hate is real. I saw one poster saying he is too passive etc.. That is how he is though.

I see alot of fans saying the same things about Martial not too long ago. He is crap, he doesnt show desire.

Lindelof needs to improve on his strength, but he is still a decent CB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bolded part isn't implausible at all and in certain negligible cases (aka small twitter accounts no one cares about) probably true.

Still, if you average by minutes it does seem Victor is up there in dribbled past/minutes played.
You understand why this is right?

Lindelof never gets dribbled because he doesn''t attempt a tackle until they either run into him and he can put a foot in, or they get a shot away.

His defending consists of jockeying away until they either pass, shoot or make a mistake. That for me doesn't make a great defender.

He clearly CAN do it though as he was quite aggressive against Leicester which was much better to see.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
@Halftrack. I understand your concerns about the lack of sources but I have to be careful with what I’m writing. Sensitive subject. Those involved don’t want this to go public, especially not a few young ladies who was hanging around this “VIP“event. I leave you with the word “influencers” and combine that with a few jealous women and the rest is up to you to figure out.

Based Adnan

They didn’t want him, Lindelof’s agent made it all up.
“They contacted Ed Woodward on numerous occasions with concrete offers. I had a meeting with their transfer manager, Matt Judge, to try to make a transition. But they just said: ‘There is no chance. Victor is one of our best players’.

“It ended up being a new agreement instead, even though Victor actually had three years left. Usually, they do not make extensions with players who have so long left on the contract, but when there was an interest at this level they had no other option.”
https://www.squawka.com/en/victor-lindelof-agent-man-utd-no-chance-barcelona-transfer/

Yep, sounds made up alright. Unless you think Lindelof's agent was sending fake offers to United pretending to be Barca?

romufc

Kostov

A-man

There is a big portion of fans who have something against Lindelof. You will never win.

You can see it - VVD never dribbled past - he is a beast
Lindelof hasnt - Because he is scared to tackle and waits for players to pass.
It makes even less sense when you consider that VvD tackles less that Lindelof.

georgipep

There is a big portion of fans who have something against Lindelof. You will never win.

Well, that's not true though. VVD has been dribbled past 7 times this season in the league. Against Palace, Southampton, Wolves, Spurs, City, Burnley and Arsenal. So, more than twice as much as Lindelof.

El Zoido

romufc

Well, that's not true though. VVD has been dribbled past 7 times this season in the league. Against Palace, Southampton, Wolves, Spurs, City, Burnley and Arsenal. So, more than twice as much as Lindelof.
Nope, go back a year and have a look at it. VVD was the only player last season not to be dribbled past.

georgipep

Nope, go back a year and have a look at it. VVD was the only player last season not to be dribbled past.
True, I missed the "last season" bit. I would, however, take that state with a pinch of salt and probably add Fouls Committed to the mix for good measure.

Kamprad

His disadvantages as I see it is that he is very weak in the air and that he is too passive sometimes. His lack of presence and confidence in the box. But he has many advantages and for me he is better than Jones and Smalling by miles. Yes he is passive but on the other hand we don’t see any of those donkey tackles that Jones, Smalling, Bailly and Rojo does.

romufc

True, I missed the "last season" bit. I would, however, take that state with a pinch of salt and probably add Fouls Committed to the mix for good measure.
Sometimes, defensive stats don't mean much. It is hard to judge defensive stats and compare with teams.

A team in the bottom half which defends will face more corners and shots in turn would mean more headed clearances, interceptions blocks in comparison to teams who don't need to defend as much.

Halftrack

@Halftrack. I understand your concerns about the lack of sources but I have to be careful with what I’m writing. Sensitive subject. Those involved don’t want this to go public, especially not a few young ladies who was hanging around this “VIP“event. I leave you with the word “influencers” and combine that with a few jealous women and the rest is up to you to figure out.
He's been on holiday with his family since the Leicester game.

Last edited:

Halftrack

Same for Ighalo, Fred and Matic RMC said (not in England). The club isn't happy it seems.
According to what I read, the club cleared them to leave. Might be that the club didn't like their chosen destinations, but you'd think they'd have some guidelines with regards to that.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
@Halftrack
Maybe you’re a little bit of track. No problem. It’s not easy to know. The “incident” happened earlier but the “influencer” released the unwelcoming juicy “news”only a couple of weeks ago. Cat fight is a good word. Remember Rebecca L.

Kamprad

“His way of playing, his DNA, is very close to Barcelona’s way of playing. He is one of the world’s best centre-backs with the ball at his feet, and Barcelona wanted him. That’s how it was. I can talk about that now.“

He must be confusing Lindelof with someone else.

Kamprad

World’s best center back with the ball at his feet and it’s still Harry Maguire doing most of the ballplaying. Something’s not right here.

Ekeke

Because that 1 single stat tells you barely anything. On one hand you have the best CB in the league, who dominates in the air and clears the ball out a lot and is very strong.

On the other hand you have Lindelof who as well as barely going in for a tackle, barely goes in for an interception, in the air he is weak, not strong, not fast and makes more mistakes.

Then you look at every Liverpool CB other than VVD and they all make more tackles than our CBs. So it doesnt matter that he's not aggressively looking to make tackles because his partner is. And thats the point of a partnership.

Its almost like they'd need to have more than 1 single stat in common to be anything like each other as players.

Here's an example -

Andreas Pereira made 1.9 key passes per game. Thats more than Mason Mount's 1.6 key passes per game! That one stat means he's as good or better than Mason Mount and if anybody disagrees you have something against Andreas because he'll never win.

Revan

Assumptionman

Evans didn’t look much better than Pique. Actually, Evans played only 3 matches for Man United (neither of them in the league) while Pique was still here. Only when Pique left (which also coincided with Rio getting injured) Evans established himself.

Kostov

Evans didn’t look much better than Pique. Actually, Evans played only 3 matches for Man United (neither of them in the league) while Pique was still here. Only when Pique left (which also coincided with Rio getting injured) Evans established himself.
After Pique left Evans came in next season and he looked better, the previous year he was on loan and was also very good. Fergie rated Evans highly.

Revan

Assumptionman
After Pique left Evans came in next season and he looked better, the previous year he was on loan and was also very good. Fergie rated Evans highly.
I don't disagree that Fergie might have rated Evans higher, I just find the story a bit different. When they were both at the club, it was Pique who was playing as the main backup (though in some matches Brown played there. Then Evans was sent in loan while Pique was kept.

In any case, Fergie also rated Cleverley as much as Thiago Alcantara, so it doesn't necessarily mean much. He was quite biased towards academy players, and seemed to underrate Barca players despite them humiliating us twice.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
World’s best center back with the ball at his feet and it’s still Harry Maguire doing most of the ballplaying. Something’s not right here.
You are right there. Something is wrong. When you have defender whos main idea is playmaking then you have situation when other defender must cover whole defence.
And btw, Lindelof would be perfect fit for Barca or Real. Can we say that for Maguire?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You are right there. Something is wrong. When you have defender whos main idea is playmaking then you have situation when other defender must cover whole defence.
And btw, Lindelof would be perfect fit for Barca or Real. Can we say that for Maguire?
Guardiola wanted maguire at city didn’t he?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Guardiola wanted maguire at city didn’t he?
Well, Guardiola's wet dream is to play without defenders (with midfielders in central defence).
So of course that he wanted Harry. Maguire is defender who is really good on the ball. I never said that he isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.