Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I watched his entire United career and years before that, I dont need your video thankyou

No if you arent of repute as a particularly aggressive CB and you arent a passive CB, then you are of course in the middle which would be a balance like most CBs. Trust you to think that something has to be at one side of two extremes though :lol:
So Blind style is like Rio then? :lol:

You are using the wrong stats to defend your point against @andersj Rio used different style in his younger & prime years compared to his late years.

Lindelof is pretty much the worse version of Blind. Both are physically weak with no pace, both relies on positioning to cover their weakness but Blind took it into step level above Lindelof. The stats tell you why Lindelof is just decent centre back while Blind is a good centre back.

Ekeke

You are using the wrong stats to defend your point against @andersj Rio used different style in his younger & prime years compared to his late years.

Lindelof is pretty much the worse version of Blind. Both are physically weak with no pace, both relies on positioning to cover their weakness but Blind took it into step level above Lindelof. The stats tell you why Lindelof is just decent centre back while Blind is a good centre back.
Blind was more aggressive defender than Lindelof, that doesnt make him an aggressive CB. There are more than two colours.

Lindelof is if Blind on top of not being good in the air or strong, also ran away from the ball rather than running towards it to try and tackle or intercept. Lindelof would make a run behind his own defense to try and match an opponent's run, Blind would want to confront the player with the ball and try to win it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Blind was more aggressive defender than Lindelof, that doesnt make him an aggressive CB. There are more than two colours.

Lindelof is if Blind on top of not being good in the air or strong, also ran away from the ball rather than running towards it to try and tackle or intercept. Lindelof would make a run behind his own defense to try and match an opponent's run, Blind would want to confront the player with the ball and try to win it.
So pretty much Blind is a passive type one like Lindelof but he's just not as girly as Lindelof. Problem solved. Lindelof is decent while Blind is much better than him.

Don't use Rio Ferdinand as comparison please.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Lindelöf has pace. Blind does not.
So pretty much Blind is a passive type one like Lindelof but he's just not as girly as Lindelof. Problem solved. Lindelof is decent while Blind is much better than him.

What do you mean not as girly?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Rio at his later career with us, did have a serious back injury. It affected his game. He became less aggressive, and slower. And he's never that good at heading either.

Ekeke

Rio wasnt my comparison. And I'll use his name where I please, thankyou - especially since I watched his whole United career and several seasons before that, while you turfed up in 2018.

Blind is like most CBs. He had strengths and weaknesses. In some areas he was quite aggressive particularly with trying to make interceptions and tackles. But on the other hand he wasnt aggressive in the air and he was physically a bit on the weak side.

Someone like Vidic who was aggressive in all areas would be a perfect example of an aggressive CB. He didnt have areas where he wasnt aggressive like Blind.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rio at his later career with us, did have a serious back injury. It affected his game. He became less aggressive, and slower. And he's never that good at heading either.
I just said it, he changed his style.

Rio is good in winning aerial duel against Drogba though. Used to dominate Drogba in the air.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Ah so we are back to Lindelof being shit again. I can't wait for the usual nuggets to declare Lindelof is going to get destroyed by player X's strength or pace, only for it not to happen (yet again), so they can move on to their next ridiculous prediction. Anyone seen Vardy by the way?

MetoTTT

Ferdinand not aggressive? You must be only watch his late seasons of him not when he used to still have his prime leg. Ferdinand is a complete one that he was more aggressive in his prime career but much more (your definition) "passive defending" during his late season.

So Blind isn't aggressive according to you. If he's not aggressive then there is only one definition, he's ''passive defending" then?
What a bad idea to publish this video, mate! I saw Rio, Vidic and lots of great players and teams that we've had for so long. I think I am depressed now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I just said it, he changed his style.

Rio is good in winning aerial duel against Drogba though. Used to dominate Drogba in the air.
True. Sorry I missed that point.

On heading, i don't have memory of his duel with Drogba. Only remember that famous Evans with Drogba.
I'm not saying Rio got often bullied on heading. I just thought it was one of his "weakness" of otherwise one of GOAT centerback at his peak.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If Lindelof has pace why didn't he cover the ground for the Spurs goal?

Not as soft as.
See the below post for your first comment.

For the second one why not just say that in the first place rather than calling him girly?
If Lindelof doesn't have pace why did he match Vardy stride for stride for 90 minutes?
People think he’s slow but don’t actually pay attention to all the times he’s proven them wrong.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rio wasnt my comparison. And I'll use his name where I please, thankyou - especially since I watched his whole United career and several seasons before that, while you turfed up in 2018.

Blind is like most CBs. He had strengths and weaknesses. In some areas he was quite aggressive particularly with trying to make interceptions and tackles. But on the other hand he wasnt aggressive in the air and he was physically a bit on the weak side.

Someone like Vidic who was aggressive in all areas would be a perfect example of an aggressive CB. He didnt have areas where he wasnt aggressive like Blind.
When you are talking about passive style, you want to compare it to someone who is relying a lot on his positioning alone to keep their distance with their opposition. That's Lindelof & Blind. Lindelof is just less aggressive than Blind but both played the same style.

Rio in his prime years are equally good in both. He was always aggressive but can also be composed when needed. You are using the wrong years of stats to describe him. Are these not aggressive to you?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If Lindelof doesn't have pace why did he match Vardy stride for stride for 90 minutes?
See the below post for your first comment.

For the second one why not just say that in the first place rather than calling him girly?

People think he’s slow but don’t actually pay attention to all the times he’s proven them wrong.
How did Blind match Lukaku stride for stride for 90 minutes? So Blind has power & pace now? It's about good positioning.

What's wrong with girly? Came out straight from my head, I needed time to find other definition.

Ekeke

When you are talking about passive style, you want to compare it to someone who is relying a lot on his positioning alone to keep their distance with their opposition. That's Lindelof & Blind. Lindelof is just less aggressive than Blind but both played the same style.

Rio in his prime years are equally good in both. He was always aggressive but can also be composed when needed. You are using the wrong years of stats to describe him. Are these not aggressive to you?

By aggressive I'm talking about number and appetite for going into challenges. I'm not talking about how hard someone is going into a challenge. Lindelof could be a really heavy tackler, but it wouldnt change that he barely even tries as any. He wouldnt be what I would call an aggressive CB because he tries a tackle every second match but when he did he went in hard.

Someone like Vidic is looking to get into situations where he can make a challenge or win the ball in the air. Ferdinand? No more than the average CB. He's sitting off more in a more balanced way of defending. So once again

Aggressive -> Balanced where most CBs are, because its much to do with the average -> Passive

Ferdinand, Blind and Maguire would be in the balanced pack. Lindelof in the passive and Vidic in the aggressive.

Jones and Bailly would be in the aggressive band as well, but that doesnt mean they're as good as Vidic. They arent.

Smalling would be balanced

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
By aggressive I'm talking about number and appetite for going into challenges. I'm not talking about how hard someone is going into a challenge. Lindelof could be a really heavy tackler, but it wouldnt change that he barely even tries as any. He wouldnt be what I would call an aggressive CB because he tries a tackle every second match but when he did he went in hard.

Someone like Vidic is looking to get into situations where he can make a challenge or win the ball in the air. Ferdinand? No more than the average CB. He's sitting off more in a more balanced way of defending. So once again

Aggressive -> Balanced where most CBs are, because its much to do with the average -> Passive

Ferdinand, Blind and Maguire would be in the balanced pack. Lindelof in the passive and Vidic in the aggressive.

Jones and Bailly would be in the aggressive band as well, but that doesnt mean they're as good as Vidic. They arent.

Smalling would be balanced
Look very high appetite to me. It's like this: Vidic 10/10, Rio 8/10 aggressiveness just for example. Doesn't make Rio isn't aggressive one when he was in his prime years.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
True. Sorry I missed that point.

On heading, i don't have memory of his duel with Drogba. Only remember that famous Evans with Drogba.
I'm not saying Rio got often bullied on heading. I just thought it was one of his "weakness" of otherwise one of GOAT centerback at his peak.

jesperjaap

I think Lindelof is the worst centre back we signed since Blind......but we shouldnt have played Blind at CB anyway. He was a decent left back and a good dm

I do disagree with your comparisons though. Lindelof isnt slow he just isnt rapid, Lindelof also in my opinion doesnt rely on positioning because his positioning isnt actually very good.

Where they were similar in my opinion is that neither could defend crosses, flick ons, corners or thorugh balls behind them very well

ivaldo

How did Blind match Lukaku stride for stride for 90 minutes? So Blind has power & pace now? It's about good positioning.
Except there was several instances against Vardy where he equalled him in a foot race. Now I'm not saying he's a quick as Vardy, and good positioning gave him an initial advantage, but if he didn't have pace he would've still lost out.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think Lindelof is the worst centre back we signed since Blind......but we shouldnt have played Blind at CB anyway. He was a decent left back and a good dm

I do disagree with your comparisons though. Lindelof isnt slow he just isnt rapid, Lindelof also in my opinion doesnt rely on positioning because his positioning isnt actually very good.

Where they were similar in my opinion is that neither could defend crosses, flick ons, corners or thorugh balls behind them very well
Jones isn't a rapid but not slow. That's better example of a player.

Lindelof is in the slow category, he's slower than Jones but still quicker than Maguire.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

What's wrong with girly? Came out straight from my head, I needed time to find other definition.
Maybe there is more nuance to those scenarios but the point stands. Lindelöf has kept pace with very quick players so he must too be quick. Or they are slow. Pick one.

Using “Girly” as a negative adjective is sexist mate. It’s 2020 be better.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Except there was several instances against Vardy where he equalled him in a foot race. Now I'm not saying he's a quick as Vardy, and good positioning gave him an initial advantage, but if he didn't have pace he would've still lost out.
Again Blind would have still lost out against Lukaku then.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You're connecting dots that aren't there. Blind outsmarting Lukaku doesn't mean Lindelof can't have pace.
I give up on this one.

If someone can match a quick player stride for stride that makes them slow?

ivaldo

I asked such a simple question and that's how you reacted. I'll ask again, how did Carrick equalled Aguero in a foot race?
That's how I tend to react to stupid questions. Better positioning and better balance to push off from the initial race. Now explain your correlation between the two, with detail.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Better positioning and better balance to push off from the initial race. Now explain your correlation between the two, with detail.
As a slow player myself, I know I need to keep my distance & position my self in the right spot to make sure if a quick player decide either to face to face or make quick turn I can anticipate and won't allow the player to get ahead of me.

ivaldo

As a slow player myself, I know I need to keep my distance & position my self in the right spot to make sure if a quick player decide either to face to face or make quick turn I can anticipate and won't allow the player to get ahead of me.
I asked a simple question and this is how you respond? I'll ask again, what does that specific incident have to do with Lindelof and the fact he very rarely loses a footrace, particularly when he managed to keep up with Vardy, not because he kept an efficient distance, but because he matched him stride for stride?

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I asked a simple question and this is how you respond? I'll ask again, what does that specific incident have to do with Lindelof and the fact he very rarely loses a footrace.
I just explained it to you how Lindelof was able to keep up with Vardy, before Vardy made a quick turn or made a dash, Lindelof keep his distance in this type of situation to predict where the attackers went. This enables Lindelof to equalled Vardy in a foot race for few seconds and even able to slow Vardy down by hustling him.

If you still can't understand, nothing else I can help you mate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ordinary ha. He was very talented and went on to be one of the best because of that. As Lindelof has always been.
Anyway to the point the poster said all clubs would choose Maguire. Some evidence suggests otherwise.
Sid Lowe who is a Spanish football correspondent was asked about Lindelof to Barca and he said Barca wanted him for their bench and not as a starter. I also posted the video in this thread.

ivaldo

I just explained it to you how Lindelof was able to keep up with Vardy, before Vardy made a quick turn or made a dash, Lindelof keep his distance in this type of situation to predict where the attackers went. This enables Lindelof to equalled Vardy in a foot race for few seconds and even able to slow Vardy down by hustling him.

If you still can't understand, nothing I can help you mate.
"Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock."

No you didn't. It's disconcerting that you feel you have some deeper understanding of how positioning is applied to defending. I hate to burst your bubble, but it really isn't that difficult of a concept.

No amount of positioning will entirely remove the advantage of pace, hence why we've used this example, where Vardy has the space to run into, was in a similar starting position to Lindelof, and yet Lindelof still managed to keep up. If Lindelof was slow then that simple wouldn't happen, regardless of position. That doesn't make Lindelof lightning quick, but it means, without contestation, that he isn't slow either. I can't believe I'm having to explain this in this much detail. But hey, there was that one time with Carrick, right?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sid Lowe who is a Spanish football correspondent was asked about Lindelof to Barca and he said Barca wanted him for their bench and not as a starter. I also posted the video in this thread.
They didnt want Maguire for bench or squad so the point is irrelevant. Saying all European clubs would want Maguire and not Lindelof is obviously wrong based on that evidence. Which was my point

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They didnt want Maguire for bench or squad so the point is irrelevant. Saying all European clubs would want Maguire and not Lindelof is obviously wrong based on that evidence. Which was my point
I doubt Maguire would want to sit on the bench anywhere. But in Lindelof's case the Barca link is used like they(Barca) wanted him as a starter, which wasn't the case as reported by Sid Lowe who said Barca were looking for a cheap squad player and Lindelof was on the list.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
"Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock."

No you didn't. It's disconcerting that you feel you have some deeper understanding of how positioning is applied to defending. I hate to burst your bubble, but it really isn't that difficult of a concept.

No amount of positioning will entirely remove the advantage of pace, hence why we've used this example, where Vardy has the space to run into, was in a similar starting position to Lindelof, and yet Lindelof still managed to keep up. If Lindelof was slow then that simple wouldn't happen. I can't believe I'm having to explain this in this much detail. But hey, there was that one time with Carrick, right?
If Lindelof is too closed to Vardy, Vardy would made a quick turn or accelerate to get passed him quickly, Lindelof won't stand a chance to cover this. If Lindelof is too far to Vardy, he has no pace to cover the distance as well.

That space he gave to Vardy was the ideal distance for himself to make sure he's quick enough to react & when he does, he equalled Vardy in a foot race for few seconds and then slow Vardy down by hustling him.

ivaldo

If Lindelof is too closed to Vardy, Vardy would made a quick turn or accelerate to get passed him quickly, Lindelof won't stand a chance to cover this. If Lindelof is too far to Vardy, he has no pace to cover the distance as well.

That space he gave to Vardy was the ideal distance for himself to make sure he's quick enough to react & when he does, he equalled Vardy in a foot race for few seconds and then slow Vardy down by hustling him.
But he did, that's the whole point. He was close to Vardy and Vardy didn't accelerate away. Your denial that it didn't happen doesn't change the fact. That doesn't make Lindelof an Olympic sprinter, but it kind of shits on this tired notion that Lindelof is a carthorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.