Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fussmeister

Things Lindelöf does well defensively

-Positioning. Doesn't mess up the offside line and knows where he is needed.
-Blocking shots and key passes, both in midfield and in/around the box.
-Knowing when to slow down opposition attacks and when he can nick the ball. Very good at catching on to a poor touch
-Forcing opponents to take shots at poor angles/in a way that makes it easy for the keeper to catch
-Directing the defense
-Not getting flustered when passing with keeper/defense

Things he doesn't do very well

-Defensive corners, losing his mark or not seeing that another player should take priority as they have lost their marker.
-Not the strongest, but it appears this is something he is working on.
-Heads the ball short, misdirects it at times.
The last part is very true. He often wins and heads the ball but it can end up and anywhere. And several times i just can’t decide if he should head or kick.

But i like our back 4. It Will get better and better!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
From all our defenders his game reading and positioning is by far the best. He covered Maguire many times in this post covid season. And always have understanding of bigger picture not just having player with the ball at his sight. And because of that he gave Maguire freedom to go up with the ball.
Imagine if we had Chris bad positioning Smalling or Jones instead of him?

I don't have any fears regarding our defence for next season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That's just what you imagine, toxic went through to your mind like that. I think lot of people in here think he's still a good option to have in the squad for next season.
Only because we have other priorities. The sooner he moves further and further down the pecking order, the better.

PitTon

Looking at that clip just shows how poor our shape or individual lack of concentration and effort is. And we're supposed to be solid with 1 goal up in the last 4 minutes. Number 42 made a simple run into the channel and he was free to make cut back pass. What the hell Matic and Lingard were doing there leaving that guy free run like that. Too easy in a critical time!!!
Lucky Copenhagen striker was not clinical as Giroud when attacking near post.

Wasn't too happy with Brandon last night

That was good to see.

Possibly tired legs on Williams' part not committing to go to either player but he should always focus on the more imminent threat, and Matic and Lingard had no excuse for letting the runner go like that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No idea why Lindelof was shouting at Williams.

Williams has 2 choices, either stay tight to Lindelof and leave the man with the ball wide open for an easy cross, or go across and engage him and make it difficult.

He has to rely on Matic as the defensive midfielder to get behind him and cover, but he simply doesn't and runs back into the penalty area.

Lingard also is "too good" to do the defensive work and just let the man run off him. This lack of desire is exactly why we found the game so hard, compare the running of their man on the inside compared to ours.

This is exactly why I thought Matic was poor last night, didn't help Williams at all.

Based Adnan

No idea why Lindelof was shouting at Williams.

Williams has 2 choices, either stay tight to Lindelof and leave the man with the ball wide open for an easy cross, or go across and engage him and make it difficult.

He has to rely on Matic as the defensive midfielder to get behind him and cover, but he simply doesn't and runs back into the penalty area.

Lingard also is "too good" to do the defensive work and just let the man run off him. This lack of desire is exactly why we found the game so hard, compare the running of their man on the inside compared to ours.

This is exactly why I thought Matic was poor last night, didn't help Williams at all.
There's 2 errors here. Williams engages the man on the ball far too late and the run behind isn't tracked by Matic or Lingard.

Adam-Utd

There's 2 errors here. Williams engages the man on the ball far too late and the run behind isn't tracked by Matic or Lingard.
The hesitation is because that shouldn't be his job.

Why is Williams having to leave the back 4 to press their RB? that should be Lingard.

This then pulls Williams of out position leaving a gap for their winger to run into, and Matic should be covering and following, but he lets him run off him also.

if anything Lindelof should be having a go at Lingard, maybe he sees Rashford doing it all match and think it's acceptable.

Kostov

Wasn't too happy with Brandon last night

Good block and nice to see him taking some responsibility and trying to help Williams but that's fecking unacceptable from Matic and Lingard, the two of them much fresher and they are jogging like that. Absolute shambles and he should have also bollocked them both.

Based Adnan

The hesitation is because that shouldn't be his job.

Why is Williams having to leave the back 4 to press their RB? that should be Lingard.

This then pulls Williams of out position leaving a gap for their winger to run into, and Matic should be covering and following, but he lets him run off him also.

if anything Lindelof should be having a go at Lingard, maybe he sees Rashford doing it all match and think it's acceptable.
It's not that simple though. You play the game as you see it. Positions change all the time and here you can see the RB is more advanced when he recieves the ball. It's not exactly uncommon to see fullbacks engaging fullbacks if the situation calls for it.

If Williams engages instantly then the RB has no one to pass on the ball to. Instead he delays allowing the RB to carry the ball forward for two touches and assess the situation. The delay in engaging (and also lack of tracking) means the ball is available to be played.

All 3 of Williams, Lingard and Matic should get a bollocking from Vic but Williams was the closest so he got it.

A-man

Very good until the mistake at second goal. Looks like he didn’t see the attacker but must clear that. Costly mistake when the attackers fail to score sitter after sitter.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I have no idea what he was doing for either goal. No awareness when the ball is coming in from out wide.

L1nk

Actually thought he was our best defender before that mistake, but let's have it right, i'd say both he and AWB share equal blame for that, if anything i'd say AWB takes more of the blame, you can see Lindelof looks behind him and see's AWB has him marked, then for an unexplicable reason AWB lets his man go and clearly fails to communicate this with Lindelof who assumes, as the ball is coming in, that AWB still has his man, which is why he's let it go across him, personally he should have blocked it but i mean it's a failure on both their parts really

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
AWB was near that attacker. He just went to sleep. Lindelof was in front and wasn't aware.

Sanchez7

Such a nothing player. Can anyone tell me what he is good at? He seems average at just about everything. Maguire is aerially dominant, Bailly is rapid, agressive but with brain farts while this guy has just no obvious strengths.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he had a great game but his nose for danger constantly let's him down. AWB is the worse offender of the two, but feck me lads, get your shit together and communicate

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Scrawny shouldered coward with his fake ass gangster tattoos. He's just soft on the inside, decent player but not United CB material at all. You never win anything of note with a guy with his personality and mentality. How the hell we went from Vida and Rio to this lad I have no clue at all.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Very good. It was AWB's man on the second goal.
How? How? How? What's a right back to do if he is behind him? He has to cover the space behind him. The other guy who cuts the line just drops it and lets the ball fall to De Jong' feet. The keeper should have read this as well.

SER19

Gave giroud a tap in also in semi final. Needs an upgrade, decent sub option

Adam-Utd

Cost us the game. Again.

he has 1 job, nobody else in the box and he isn’t anywhere near the man, what a joke.

NK86

AWB was near that attacker. He just went to sleep. Lindelof was in front and wasn't aware.
Yup but he didn't even attempt to block it. First rule as a defender, don't delegate when you can mop it up. Wtf was he thinking letting that cross pass him by without even an attempt to block it.

He is just a shite CB. We need to upgrade him quickly. Him and AWB are just not good enough for where we aspire to be.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
He simply isn't good enough to be first choice CB if we have big ambitions.

criticalanalysis

I have no idea what he was doing for either goal. No awareness when the ball is coming in from out wide.
This what happens when you have a defender who doesn't want to take responsibility.

You can't pin a blame on him because he just about does enough to look good zonally but in 1-2-1 situations is a massive pussy.

Wtf was he doing for the first goal? No pressure on the byline and gave the attacker all the time in the world to play an easy pass.

Second goal more 'on' AWB but again still, he was in man's land. Happy to sit in his central position thinking 'yeah I've covered the space, all I gotta do is stay here and point my fingers at other to cover their space'.

Status
Not open for further replies.