Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamprad

First of all Bruno has no business pointing out Lindelofs mistake in that manner. He is no Roy Keane, yet, and should concentrate on equalizing and take that shite in the locker room when there’s so little time left.

With that said it is Lindelofs mistake without a shadow of doubt. I don’t what AWB is doing there in the first place. That’s Lindelofs man. He should have been closer to him but still in front. That’s basic defending.

jesperjaap

He wasn't slightly behind him. He started off goal side, squared on, in a position to defend him. If, for whatever reason he feels he can't stay with a stationary man, then he communicates, he tells Lindelof to pick him up so he can pick daisies from the semi circle. You don't just leave him for absolutely no reason.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The near sided CB should never be moving outside the post unless he absolutely has to, and then he doesn't commit to the player, he holds and waits for the CM to sweep across.

Yes you cover the space. If you have a free man you ALWAYS shuffle across. That way, you can cut out a low cross, you are in position to cover the blindside run to the near post. The alternative is Lindelof marks the player and AWB does literally nothing, and I mean nothing defensively. He's not covering an area, he's not in a position to cut out, and he's not marking a man. He does nothing.

It's not a condescending when it's what happens. Shuffling across to cover someone when out of position is something you're taught very early on. You're not an individual. You work as a unit. Suggesting Lindelof marks the player and AWB do nothing when our other CB is out of position is absolute nonsense.
Not that he should be our starting centre back either, but the Copenhagen match there were 4/5 occasions Bailly defended crosses by getting tight to the man an dshowed his strength I said at the time I was glad he was playing as they were more than potentially goals if ti was Lindelof. Though others were at fault in this instance as well, this was just another instance where if that was Bailly, they probably wouldnt have scored that goal. Shame for Lindelof, I dont rate him at all, but he actually had a good game last night, apart from that moment where as often he has a really average game and there are these moments. He simply isnt good enough.

Anyway, your original point was Bissaka was totally at fault fo rthat goal, all the blame lays with him. In your post above you have already cotradicted yourself as you are laying part of the blame with Maguire in it. You can go on and on about zonal marking and covering players to defend a cross with two players to deal with one opposing player in the box as much as you want but you have just blamed Maguire for dragging Lindelof out of position (which obviously I disagree with anyway) so you are now not lying all of the blame with Bissaka?

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
It’s a little over reaction. He made a big mistake that cost a goal. The rest was good. Three forwards made 5 mistakes that cost one goal each.
To be honest putting the 2nd goal aside. He was hugely at fault for the 1-1 goal too for me- it's just classic Lindelof "defending" by allowing the attacker to stroll down the touchline while he runs alongside him without putting any pressure on or trying to tackle.

If football was non-contact and had to be played on the floor then I think Lindelof would be a decent defender - he's calm on the ball and reads the game well. But when asked to do actual defending such as winning a header or making a tackle then he shies away. Just way to passive and not good enough to start for us.

A-man

It's an overreaction if this wasn't a regular occurrence.

I'm sorry but he's just not good enough. People can post all the goals conceded stat they want, but "good game, other than that mistake that resulted in our loss" is not good enough for a club like Man Utd.

The worrying thing is, I don't think Ole will invest in a centre back. I think it's not on the forefront of his priorities. We'll be seeing a lot of Victor fecking Lindelof for awhile.
I would say he has been the best defender over the last 15-20 matches or so. He was probably the best player on the pitch in the most important game of the year, against Leicester.

Looking at yesterday’s game, more or less nobody in United was good enough. Defence conceding two goals. Forward and attacking midfield who can only score if they get a penalty.

Looking at City -Lyon, the City players are not good enough to win the title next season.

Looking at Real Madrid or Barcelona defence they both look like they have no chance to challenge for titles.

To be honest even looking at Bayern defence and there were 2 poor performances for 2 conceded goals.

Yet I am convinced all these teams will be title contenders next season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is the fall guy and when he is gone/benched Maguire will be next. Both of our CBs are not good enough without a top defender leading them but one cost 80m

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not that he should be our starting centre back either, but the Copenhagen match there were 4/5 occasions Bailly defended crosses by getting tight to the man an dshowed his strength I said at the time I was glad he was playing as they were more than potentially goals if ti was Lindelof. Though others were at fault in this instance as well, this was just another instance where if that was Bailly, they probably wouldnt have scored that goal. Shame for Lindelof, I dont rate him at all, but he actually had a good game last night, apart from that moment where as often he has a really average game and there are these moments. He simply isnt good enough.

Anyway, your original point was Bissaka was totally at fault fo rthat goal, all the blame lays with him. In your post above you have already cotradicted yourself as you are laying part of the blame with Maguire in it. You can go on and on about zonal marking and covering players to defend a cross with two players to deal with one opposing player in the box as much as you want but you have just blamed Maguire for dragging Lindelof out of position (which obviously I disagree with anyway) so you are now not lying all of the blame with Bissaka?
Well, our defensive record speaks for itself, so either we are the most fortunate team in the world, or our team of below par defenders are better than they are claimed to be. Your choice.

I think you're taking it far too literally. If DDG spills an easy shot into the net you would blame him, though you can still be critical of the players in front who allowed the player to get into that shooting position in the first place. Minor faults from the other three, major fault from AWB for abandoning his man for no good reason. The goal didn't come because our centrebacks were wider than they should be, or because Williams only partially blocked the cross; it came because AWB couldn't do the most basic of defensive duties. I'm not prepared to have a full blown discussion on semantics. It's pretty clear what I'm implying.

I can go on and on about it because it delves far deeper into the issues we faced there than saying it's Lindelof at fault because it's a CF. It's clearly laid out. The nearest CB should never be that far outside the near post. This isn't me making things up, it's 101 of defending. If you're touch tight on a man, then he is your man unless it's expressly stated otherwise and you hand over to another player. Again, this isn't off the cuff stuff, this is basic level stuff. You don't double mark one player in the box. You have a defender in front or behind the player in order to either to cut out passing avenues or cover behind to stop the player spinning and using that space. You've not told me why you disagree with it. Do you think you should leave that space completely uncovered so Lindelof picks up the striker and AWB does... what exactly?

arthurka

Never his fault. That was all AWB.
No it wasn't you know it's called a Center Back right.. AWB leaves the player running into the center of the area for Lindelöf to cover. Lindelöf looks at the player behind him and knows he is there moments earlier but like so many times before he gets caught ball watching and doesn't cover his space. AWB stays to cover the player coming into the wide area. Anyone who has played as a defender knows this it's Lindelöf's position and it is his to cover. It's really one of his biggest flaws as a defender his spacial awareness is really poor. He did have an good game apart from two really poor moments and sadly they both cost us goals. He will never be a top defender.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why do people keep saying “AWBs man” when talking about the goal? Since when is luuk de Jong (their sole striker) his responsibility? why would you leave your fullback to deal with a cross when you’ve got a cb standing there with nobody else to mark?

the striker was smart and stood between them both to cause confusion. A proper CB takes charge and says he’s mine, let me handle it. Instead he prefers to mark the space instead of directly challenging his opponent. All he had to do was stop de Jong getting to the ball.

Hellboy

He’s a liability, his stupidity cost us against Chelsea too. We absolutely need an upgrade if we wanna get anywhere near competing.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Why do people keep saying “AWBs man” when talking about the goal? Since when is luuk de Jong (their sole striker) his responsibility? why would you leave your fullback to deal with a cross when you’ve got a cb standing there with nobody else to mark?

the striker was smart and stood between them both to cause confusion. A proper CB takes charge and says he’s mine, let me handle it. Instead he prefers to mark the space instead of directly challenging his opponent. All he had to do was stop de Jong getting to the ball.
I can see the argument that Lindelof thinks AWB has got De Jong covered earlier in the piece, and that he's marking the space at the front post to cut out a low driven cross. However when he looks around to see AWB behind De Jong it would have been good for a CB to get tighter to their sole striker, goalside. What ends up happening is that a good lofted ball picks him out while AWB isn't able to affect play and Lindelof can neither cut out the cross nor stop De Jong from making contact with the ball. For me it's more poor defending from wide areas, players are quite simply not aware of what their teammates are looking to do when the ball is about to come into the box, which is pretty disgraceful at any level never mind an EL semifinal. I don't want to talk about bravery or cowardice in Lindelof's case, for me the system and player understanding have both been found wanting too often in those situations, but you can't escape the reality that a more domineering centre back would have picked up the man and cleared the ball.

The numbers show our defending on the whole has been good this season but there is still much to improve in terms of our defenders understanding their roles in certain situations. Whether that's a coaching issue, a personnel issue or a combination of the two is an open question.

Strelok

Agreed.

He's in front of the striker so it's his job to cut off any cross that come in. AWB was behind the striker so naturally he would be in a disadvantage in such situation. Imo if he took a step or two closer to the striker he'd be much less likely to score. But he got careless thinking no cross would come in I think.

I had a feeling that he thought it's all safe and stop to defend when clearly the opposition still had the ball. Strangely AWB seemed to think like that as well, none bothered to mark the striker when the opposition still had the ball. It's so weird and tbh I still can't understand why.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I can see the argument that Lindelof thinks AWB has got De Jong covered earlier in the piece, and that he's marking the space at the front post to cut out a low driven cross. However when he looks around to see AWB behind De Jong it would have been good for a CB to get tighter to their sole striker, goalside. What ends up happening is that a good lofted ball picks him out while AWB isn't able to affect play and Lindelof can neither cut out the cross nor stop De Jong from making contact with the ball. For me it's more poor defending from wide areas, players are quite simply not aware of what their teammates are looking to do when the ball is about to come into the box, which is pretty disgraceful at any level never mind an EL semifinal. I don't want to talk about bravery or cowardice in Lindelof's case, for me the system and player understanding have both been found wanting too often in those situations, but you can't escape the reality that a more domineering centre back would have picked up the man and cleared the ball.
This is the key. The lack of defensive awareness in our back line is shocking for a team with aspirations of challenging for top trophies.

As a defender your instinct should be to position yourself as if the worst case scenario will play out e.g. what if the full back gets run off or what if the centre back is unable to intercept the ball. Your job as a defender is to sniff danger. Sadly, there are too many in our defence who behave as if there will always be someone else to take care of the problem.

As you say a top class centre half would have cleared the ball, as a top class centre half would not gamble on letting a ball flash across the box in the belief the guy behind him would deal with the problem. A top class centre half would take responsibility for the situation and sort it out (Likewise a top class fullback would assume the centre half might mess up and track the runner just in case, which AWB doesn't do. Both players showed their lack of top level nous in the way we conceded).

Our defenders all want the game to be played in front of them, where they can have a clear view of the situation and don't need to show awareness of what might be going on over their shoulder. They are all pretty poor at reacting to runs off, especially when the ball is wide or in the air. Lindelof is the worst offender. However, he's not alone. Both the goals we conceded last night were avoidable. We weren't undone by genius skill or movement, just clueless defending.

Craig Ward

Got to agree with this.

The fact Lindelof looks, and still doesnt pick up De Jong is all we need to know. Positionally he was caught out and his body shape to defend that cross was all wrong.

Individual errors always seem to cost us. We make far too many as a team and that has to be ironed out.

I'm not solely blaming Lindelof for the goal - there were multiple errors from our entire backline.

Why are Lindelof and Maguire so far out of position? Why is Williams not doing better at defending an incoming cross? AWB can see the full picture yet he doesnt get in front of De Jong or scream at Lindelof too.

Ultimately - when the ball comes in it's Lindelof who is glaring wrong side of his man.

And to scream back at Fernandes with more passion than he;s ever played with takes the mick a bit.

I've said for a while that he;s a decent CB with room to improve but he is definitely one starting player who could easily be upgraded upon.

SATA

Do anyone genuinely feel that Barcelona were in for him prior to him signing the new deal here? Or was that fake news put out by his agent to hurry United to extend his contract? If it's the latter, the agent has really played a blinder here

Kamprad

Do anyone genuinely feel that Barcelona were in for him prior to him signing the new deal here? Or was that fake news put out by his agent to hurry United to extend his contract? If it's the latter, the agent has really played a blinder here
Hard to tell. His agent has contacts in Barcelona and was a big part of De Jong going there so he was probably in a position where he could use Barcelona to hurry up his contract extension without Barcelona denying it. But could also be true of course.

led_scholes

He shares the same weaknesses with Blind. He is a fine player, just not the level we should aspire to reach. We have to buy a new CB and make him third choice. Buy firstly, we have to sell Rojo and Jones and one between Bailly and Smalling.

led_scholes

Well, judging by their awful recent recruitments we can assume a) yes, they wanted him b) if they indeed wanted him, proves that he is not top class.

Terminator

Always one huge positional lapse in every game, just not good enough no matter what anyone says.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This is the key. The lack of defensive awareness in our back line is shocking for a team with aspirations of challenging for top trophies.

As a defender your instinct should be to position yourself as if the worst case scenario will play out e.g. what if the full back gets run off or what if the centre back is unable to intercept the ball. Your job as a defender is to sniff danger. Sadly, there are too many in our defence who behave as if there will always be someone else to take care of the problem.

As you say a top class centre half would have cleared the ball, as a top class centre half would not gamble on letting a ball flash across the box in the belief the guy behind him would deal with the problem. A top class centre half would take responsibility for the situation and sort it out (Likewise a top class fullback would assume the centre half might mess up and track the runner just in case, which AWB doesn't do. Both players showed their lack of top level nous in the way we conceded).

Our defenders all want the game to be played in front of them, where they can have a clear view of the situation and don't need to show awareness of what might be going on over their shoulder. They are all pretty poor at reacting to runs off, especially when the ball is wide or in the air. Lindelof is the worst offender. However, he's not alone. Both the goals we conceded last night were avoidable. We weren't undone by genius skill or movement, just clueless defending.
Agreed, except I'm less interested in picking out a worst offender. For me when there is a lack of understanding between defenders they're all going to look stupid at different times, and probably the CBs will come out worse given they're the ones nearest the goal. I think Lindelof could have been better in this instance but you're honestly at 'answers on a postcard' level as to what the hell AWB was doing in this entire passage of play. I've listened to the clip without crowd audio a few times and can't make out anything our lads say really, if someone with a better ear for these things can make out AWB saying anything that would make me feel a bit better. As it stands it just looks a real mess with everyone defending so passively.

Got to agree with this.

The fact Lindelof looks, and still doesnt pick up De Jong is all we need to know. Positionally he was caught out and his body shape to defend that cross was all wrong.

Individual errors always seem to cost us. We make far too many as a team and that has to be ironed out.

I'm not solely blaming Lindelof for the goal - there were multiple errors from our entire backline.

Why are Lindelof and Maguire so far out of position? Why is Williams not doing better at defending an incoming cross? AWB can see the full picture yet he doesnt get in front of De Jong or scream at Lindelof too.

Ultimately - when the ball comes in it's Lindelof who is glaring wrong side of his man.

And to scream back at Fernandes with more passion than he;s ever played with takes the mick a bit.

I've said for a while that he;s a decent CB with room to improve but he is definitely one starting player who could easily be upgraded upon.
Yeah here's the clip. If anyone can pick out anything being said by our players as we're about to concede as soft a goal as you're likely to see in a semi final let me know:

SATA

I think Blind is better than him as a CB to be honest. Better passing ability, better awareness, smarter. It's a disrespect to Blind to lump him together with the 'Iceman'

Terminator

The Southampton corner, losing Giroud(!) against Chelsea and now yesterdays mistake. Not much to say really.

Caesar2290

I don’t like him. He’s been a mainstay in our defence for a while now and we look like we will concede whenever he plays. We clearly need an upgrade on him.
Clearly us conceding the least goals from open play in the league and having one of the most solid defences in europe is a testament to that.
Its basic defending. The point is, imagine our previous CBs doing that. They wouldnt. I said they wouldnt and you responded as if it was wrong
Err, you sure about that. Here is where Rio is caught napping for the 1st Arsenal goal. Everyone makes mistakes.
First of all Bruno has no business pointing out Lindelofs mistake in that manner. He is no Roy Keane, yet, and should concentrate on equalizing and take that shite in the locker room when there’s so little time left.

With that said it is Lindelofs mistake without a shadow of doubt. I don’t what AWB is doing there in the first place. That’s Lindelofs man. He should have been closer to him but still in front. That’s basic defending.
This! If Bruno wanted to have a go, he should have done so at our front 3 who for the second game in a row can't finish to save their lives. Had we scored 50% of our chances today, this mistake would have 3-5 posts on here at most.

Ekeke

Clearly us conceding the least goals from open play in the league and having one of the most solid defences in europe is a testament to that.

Err, you sure about that. Here is where Rio is caught napping for the 1st Arsenal goal. Everyone makes mistakes.

This! If Bruno wanted to have a go, he should have done so at our front 3 who for the second game in a row can't finish to save their lives. Had we scored 50% of our chances today, this mistake would have 3-5 posts on here at most.
Yes completely sure. He tries to defend and is caught under the ball. Lindelof sees his man and doesnt try to defend against him, he leaves it to someone else. Gonna need you to find clips of Rio seeing a single man in the box and choosing not to defend the cross and leaving his fullback to do it all alone. Thanks

Web of Bissaka

Today showed he's been hiding all along this season behind the better quality of 3 defenders - AWB, Mag and Shaw. When we need him to perform in crucial moments to save the day, he just didn't.

Surprising....

He's a good squad player. Should not be our starter but that says a lot about our CB options.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Well, our defensive record speaks for itself, so either we are the most fortunate team in the world, or our team of below par defenders are better than they are claimed to be. Your choice.

I think you're taking it far too literally. If DDG spills an easy shot into the net you would blame him, though you can still be critical of the players in front who allowed the player to get into that shooting position in the first place. Minor faults from the other three, major fault from AWB for abandoning his man for no good reason. The goal didn't come because our centrebacks were wider than they should be, or because Williams only partially blocked the cross; it came because AWB couldn't do the most basic of defensive duties. I'm not prepared to have a full blown discussion on semantics. It's pretty clear what I'm implying.

I can go on and on about it because it delves far deeper into the issues we faced there than saying it's Lindelof at fault because it's a CF. It's clearly laid out. The nearest CB should never be that far outside the near post. This isn't me making things up, it's 101 of defending. If you're touch tight on a man, then he is your man unless it's expressly stated otherwise and you hand over to another player. Again, this isn't off the cuff stuff, this is basic level stuff. You don't double mark one player in the box. You have a defender in front or behind the player in order to either to cut out passing avenues or cover behind to stop the player spinning and using that space. You've not told me why you disagree with it. Do you think you should leave that space completely uncovered so Lindelof picks up the striker and AWB does... what exactly?
Everybody got to stop using the third best defense in the league as a sign that our defense is good because it doesn't when we're conceding nearly a goal a game.

Lindelof's a sham as a defender. A proper defender clears the fecking danger instead of pointing and expecting his teammates to do it.

ivaldo

Everybody got to stop using the third best defense in the league as a sign that our defense is good because it doesn't when we're conceding nearly a goal a game.

Lindelof's a sham as a defender. A proper defender clears the fecking danger instead of pointing and expecting his teammates to do it.
You'll have to work through that logic for me. Remove DDGs individual mistakes that led to goals and it's the same as Pools. So is every defence in the league shit then? It's an inconvenient truth.

AFC NimbleThumb

You'll have to work through that logic for me. Remove DDGs individual mistakes that led to goals and it's the same as Pools. So is every defence in the league shit then? I know it's an inconvenient truth for all this hypobolic nonsense.
If my aunt had testicles she’d be my. . .

The truth is, in 18/19 José did his best to get the sack & the form under OfS fell off a cliff after the initial run - our defensive improvement this season is actually behind 15/16, 16/17 & 17/18 where we conceded 35, 29 & 28 respectively; we only conceded a goal more than this season in 14/15 ffs.

To be reduce the analysis of this defence down to ‘if this hadn’t happened’ doesn’t tell anywhere near the full story.

In the first half of the season teams sat deep because we weren’t scoring so settled for draws, of which we had 12, we play a DM & a very low sitting midfielder next to him - I’d expect to be compact defensively.

A convenient truth is our defensive record this season ranks 4th in the past 5 years - our defence has A LOT of improving to do.

Eugenius

The truth is, in 18/19 José did his best to get the sack & the form under OfS fell off a cliff after the initial run - our defensive improvement this season is actually behind 15/16, 16/17 & 17/18 where we conceded 35, 29 & 28 respectively; we only conceded a goal more than this season in 14/15 ffs.

To be reduce the analysis of this defence down to ‘if this hadn’t happened’ doesn’t tell anywhere near the full story.

In the first half of the season teams sat deep because we weren’t scoring so settled for draws, of which we had 12, we play a DM & a very low sitting midfielder next to him - I’d expect to be compact defensively.

A convenient truth is our defensive record this season ranks 4th in the past 5 years - our defence has A LOT of improving to do.
Last season also coincided with the first season Lindelof was a starter too.

ivaldo

A swing and a miss. It's completely relatable; because those individual errors made my DDG and not by Allison directly effect our defensive record, and yet categorically have nothing to do with the defenders. That's why they're called individual errors.

Right, so instead of judging our team based on the context of the actual season, you want to judge it on historic seasons, playing against different teams with different players? It's as daft as those wierdos that think point tallies mean more than the finishing position. If we follow your logic, it makes the entire league shit at defending.

Classic hypocrisy in bold. Just look at your following paragraph! :lol: 'if defenses hadn't sat deep.' Well let's look at that, shall we?

Since the turn of the year, that's 32 games, we've recorded 19 clean sheets, and only 7 occasions where we conceded more than 1 goal. Now thats including the shit start we had to 2020 prior to signing Bruno. If we remove that, our stats get even better. That demonstrates a marked improvement to our defense when we began to score plenty of goals against teams. The exact opposite to what you're trying to claim.

NoMidfielders

I think Blind is better than him as a CB to be honest. Better passing ability, better awareness, smarter. It's a disrespect to Blind to lump him together with the 'Iceman'
Not sure it's even close to be honest, selling Blind was a pretty big error given we didn't exactly have quality lined up to replace him

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They're both at fault. Maguire is the first line of defence (in the box) if the ball is a low cross and Lindelof is the first line of defence if it is a high cross (which it was) so he should be attacking the ball in that situation as AWB is supposedly marking the man. AWB is then tasked with marking the man/picking up if Lindelof misses it. Neither did their job.

DoomSlayer

I'd say the full backs are just as much at fault for allowing a second goal to be scored from yet another cross. It was pretty much their only way of creating a chance for fecks sake, we should have won this game comfortably. :mad:

edcunited1878

The cross was deflected and looped ahead and over Lindelof straight into the path of De Jong. De Jong didn't head the ball in, he kicked it in. Neither player had a chance to head the ball.

Saying this because people talking about his heading ability are completely wrong in this situation. He didn't miss a clear headed clearance, there was zero chance of that happening...it was a deflected ball.

Eurotrash

Second goal was way to easy and is most likely the result of poor communication. Hard to say exactly who is to blame. Would have liked to be a fly-on-the-wall in the after match review.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Ignore the tweet but in video you can see Lindelof looks back and see AWB near attacker. Only thing I will fault Lindelof here is that he didn't take matter into his own hand and trusted AWB. AWB was at fault for both goals

romufc

Ignore the tweet but in video you can see Lindelof looks back and see AWB near attacker.

AWB can see around him, when Lindelof took a look, AWB was touch tight to him so he decided to stop any low driven or front post.

AWB instead of staying with the player, stops and ball watches, which he has been culpable for on numerous occasions this season.

ivaldo

The cross was deflected and looped ahead and over Lindelof straight into the path of De Jong. De Jong didn't head the ball in, he kicked it in. Neither player had a chance to head the ball.

Saying this because people talking about his heading ability are completely wrong in this situation. He didn't miss a clear headed clearance, there was zero chance of that happening...it was a deflected ball.
Stop right there. We won't have an accurate description of events here, thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.