Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

edcunited1878

Mate you're having a mare. In the Europa League final, he played left centre back with Shaw, Pogba and Rashford to his side.

Also McT is more than capable of receiving passes to feet. AWB is not the best when it comes to receiving the ball under pressure but it's compounded by the fact Lindelof will rarely take responsibility to carry the ball or open his body other than a 5-10 yard pass to Maguire or AWB. A lot of the passes AWB receives, are to feet under pressure on the right byline because it's come from Lindelof, who leaves him with no option but to take an extra touch and/or be the one who progresses it forward.
I'm not...you're isolating and nitpicking a game that didn't see anyone perform well. AWB puts himself under pressure because he's the weakest technical player on the backline. Defenses want him to receive the ball and get on the ball. Why cannot United combine down the right like they do with the left? What is the defensive pairing on the left side and the left sided midfielder or left forward - Maguire, Shaw, Pogba/Fred, Rashford / What's the defensive pairing on the right side and the right sided midfielder or right forward - Lindelof, AWB, McTominay/Fred, Greenwood/James.

Shaw receives just as many passes if not more to his feet and he's under pressure.

At the end of the day, we disagree between what is more of the upgrade priority (CM v CB). Lindelof is a good CB. He's not the best, but how many CBs are available in this market who will make a significant difference not just aerially, but also physically, ball playing, reliability (injury record), and composure/character. You're gonna have to spunk some good money or really, really identify a player to come in and walk into the team next to Maguire. If it's Varane, then fine...he's got to hit the ground running and quickly make the impact.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You people act like he's a pub player. He's a far better player than given credit for.

gorky_utd

He is a perfect 3rd choice center back for a top club. Good defender, but error prone in crucial moment.

Irwin99

Very much doubt he'll settle for being 3rd choice. For all the crap he gets on here I expect he'll move to a decent champions league club.

criticalanalysis

I'm not...you're isolating and nitpicking a game that didn't see anyone perform well. AWB puts himself under pressure because he's the weakest technical player on the backline. Defenses want him to receive the ball and get on the ball. Why cannot United combine down the right like they do with the left? What is the defensive pairing on the left side and the left sided midfielder or left forward - Maguire, Shaw, Pogba/Fred, Rashford / What's the defensive pairing on the right side and the right sided midfielder or right forward - Lindelof, AWB, McTominay/Fred, Greenwood/James.

Shaw receives just as many passes if not more to his feet and he's under pressure.

At the end of the day, we disagree between what is more of the upgrade priority (CM v CB). Lindelof is a good CB. He's not the best, but how many CBs are available in this market who will make a significant difference not just aerially, but also physically, ball playing, reliability (injury record), and composure/character. You're gonna have to spunk some good money or really, really identify a player to come in and walk into the team next to Maguire. If it's Varane, then fine...he's got to hit the ground running and quickly make the impact.
I'm using that game as a prime example where he had a chance to assert himself and step up to show this idea that he's a good passer on the ball. He doesn't do it during regular games (or enough) and he didn't do it when he was the most experienced centre back on the pitch for us. I've already acknowledge AWB is not great on the ball but you need to watch a bit more carefully to see the types of passes he gets from Lindelof. I wouldn't call them hospital balls but it's leaves him with little chance to do anything with it. I'm not ignoring the lack of a right sided platform, which obviously affects their ability to play out etc but it doesn't excuse their own individual performace/actual effectiveness. Maguire was playing in a back 5 against Germany so it's slightly skewered but look at his performance in terms of ball playing and ball carrying. It was a very good performance but it's also something he does for us game in game out. When you compare Lindelof's contributions it's night and day. One takes responsibility, the other is happy to palm it off and take a step back playing the last man defending zonally i.e space and not touch tight.

As for your last paragraph, I agree but then that applies to both CB or CM. Who is the DM/CM equivalent of Varane out there? There isn't. Between bringing a potential DM/CM project and hoping they can acclimatise to the PL, I'd reckon it's safer to bring in a Varane, who brings in superior aerial and ball playing ability along with certified experience and history. Both choices are risks of course but ideally we'd get both!

DaMan

When I see the errors Varane does, and how he get's outmuscled by Sterling. Is that really the type of player we want?
Those errors are worse than anything Lindelof has done so far.
I thought we needed a strong aggressive player to start alongside with Maguire.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm using that game as a prime example where he had a chance to assert himself and step up to show this idea that he's a good passer on the ball. He doesn't do it during regular games (or enough) and he didn't do it when he was the most experienced centre back on the pitch for us. I've already acknowledge AWB is not great on the ball but you need to watch a bit more carefully to see the types of passes he gets from Lindelof. I wouldn't call them hospital balls but it's leaves him with little chance to do anything with it. I'm not ignoring the lack of a right sided platform, which obviously affects their ability to play out etc but it doesn't excuse their own individual performace/actual effectiveness. Maguire was playing in a back 5 against Germany so it's slightly skewered but look at his performance in terms of ball playing and ball carrying. It was a very good performance but it's also something he does for us game in game out. When you compare Lindelof's contributions it's night and day. One takes responsibility, the other is happy to palm it off and take a step back playing the last man defending zonally i.e space and not touch tight.

As for your last paragraph, I agree but then that applies to both CB or CM. Who is the DM/CM equivalent of Varane out there? There isn't. Between bringing a potential DM/CM project and hoping they can acclimatise to the PL, I'd reckon it's safer to bring in a Varane, who brings in superior aerial and ball playing ability along with certified experience and history. Both choices are risks of course but ideally we'd get both!
I’ve mentioned this before because I’ve noticed it, in fact I’ve also called it hospital balls that he gives to AWB. Him & Maguire will pass it sideways back and forth, give the keeper a touch then when the opposition close in, it’s a crappy outball to AWB as players are already converging on him. It does my head in

criticalanalysis

I’ve mentioned this before because I’ve noticed it, in fact I’ve also called it hospital balls that he gives to AWB. Him & Maguire will pass it sideways back and forth, give the keeper a touch then when the opposition close in, it’s a crappy outball to AWB as players are already converging on him. It does my head in
They all have play a part in this individually, including the coaching from Ole, Hendo, De Gea, Maguire and of course AWB himself. However, Lindelof is the 'worse' when it comes taking responsibility or rather he doesn't do as much for someone of his supposed ability and position on the pitch i.e deepest lying player with the whole pitch in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.