Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What I take from this video is 3 things:

1. Lindelof isn't good enough
2. Our defence lacks leadership
3. Everyone of our defenders (including Maguire) is culpable in most of the goals

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He needs to shave his head and look for that pair of testicles he used to have as a youngster at Benfica. I would love to see Smalldini in the lineup next game.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not good enough to be anything higher than 4th choice CB. We'll never win anything with this lightweight sideman starting. He's coleslaw and cucumber, we need steak. Sideman.

crossy1686

career ending
Let's face it, Lindelöf is getting a lot of flack at the moment but we've got worse CB's at the club who need to go first. Rojo, Jones, Bailley, all need shifting so we can sign someone better and put Lindelöf on the bench.

Cassidy

Let's face it, Lindelöf is getting a lot of flack at the moment but we've got worse CB's at the club who need to go first. Rojo, Jones, Bailley, all need shifting so we can sign someone better and put Lindelöf on the bench.
To be honest if a club is interested in Lindelof for a decent fee we should offload and invest in a CB, we should be bold. Agree the others should go too.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

3. Everyone of our defenders (including Maguire) is culpable in most of the goals
Also that he gets pushed around so easily.

crossy1686

career ending
To be honest if a club is interested in Lindelof for a decent fee we should offload and invest in a CB
If someone come's in with a £30m bid then we should sell him, however we shouldn't be actively looking to offload someone who has been decent in spells when we have literal dead wood on the books, whom he is better than on a good day.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There's no way we should sell him. We should sell the guys who are worse than him and move this guy to the bench. That way at least we have a semi decent squad option.

Cassidy

If someone come's in with a £30m bid then we should sell him, however we shouldn't be actively looking to offload someone who has been decent in spells when we have literal dead wood on the books, whom he is better than on a good day.
If we are struggling to raise funds to buy a CB we should, because building a side that can compete is more important than shifting deadwood.
We should let the deadwood rot and tell them they won't play and put the likes of Tuanzebe and Mengi ahead in the squad.
We are far too nice to players, tell them point blank they wont get games here and force them out. The ones that want to sit around and collect wages (like Jones) don't give them new contracts and try to loan or you just have to write that off as your own stupidity and feck them off when their contacts end

SAFMUTD

He had some terrible games lately, I doubt he'll ever be a solid top CB, he's average/good at best, but to be fair the tactics implemented arent exactly helping.

Going with a high line when you have one of the slowest CB pair in the league is plain stupid.

PitTon

It's hard to play against Schuff and he was match fit but VL shows over the year that he is weak physically. Schuff and Zaha (and many others) keep him distance, VL couldn't get near them and out of breath when he tried to make last blocks.

Is he weak even he does gym because he's vegetarian?

Cassidy

He had some terrible games lately, I doubt he'll ever be a solid top CB, he's average/good at best, but to be fair the tactics implemented arent exactly helping.

Going with a high line when you have one of the slowest CB pair in the league is plain stupid.
I really think Ole was making a point. He said in the summer he wanted a fast aggressive CB so we could play high, we know he wanted a RW and I'm pretty sure he probably told Ed we needed a Matic replacement.

What does Ole do.

Plays McTom CDM, plays a high line and played James RW :lol:

SAFMUTD

I really think Ole was making a point. He said in the summer he wanted a fast aggressive CB so we could play high, we know he wanted a RW and I'm pretty sure he probably told Ed we needed a Matic replacement.

What does Ole do.

Plays McTom CDM, plays a high line and played James RW :lol:
I said it before, if it was Mou doing that I would be totally convinced he made it to prove a point to the board.

With Ole I dont know, maybe he's just that naive.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's hard to play against Schuff and he was match fit but VL shows over the year that he is weak physically. Schuff and Zaha (and many others) keep him distance, VL couldn't get near them and out of breath when he tried to make last blocks.

Is he weak even he does gym because he's vegetarian?
Who is Schuff?

He'sRaldo

To be fair he probably was the best after the lockdown. AWB and Maguire were both poor after the break, and although Shaw was in very good form he got injured and we ended up playing Williams who was also poor. It basically left Lindelof as our best by default even though he was only decent.
He can't have been the best after making crucial mistakes to dump us out of 2 cups.

criticalanalysis

You’re being ridiculous. I wrote he had a very bad game but was good over the last season. You call that blind and biased.

You have honestly never written anything ever that indicates that you understand anything at all about football, so I can’t really take anything you write seriously.
You're still trying to elevate his performances above what his actual level is. Going by your standards, if he performed 'good' whilst being a passive placeholder then Maguire did excellent. Both of which are untrue.

If I don't understand anything about football, then you can count the majority the forum, who unaminously think Lindelof is a below average defender, who basically 'shines' when the focus is not on him i.e a coward. He a sweeper, who does all the easy stuff and even then not great at it; when actually asked to step up, gives you more Seville/Palace performances than your Leicesters.

In the last perfomance thread, I recall very specifically you quoted me about my post criticising his 'defending' on the first Seville goal and you still tried to make it sound like 'he did a good job covering' by being passive ffs. Exact same scenario yesterday and look what happened.

Just say it man, you're a fanboy. That's fine. Stop trying to make us believe he's a good player. He's not.

it reeks of all of those Mourinho, Rooney (last 2 years here) etc supporters saying they were still doing good.

HowYouDoin

I really think this is the case of one guy making everyone else worse.
Maguire would probably look better next to a CB that would complement him better and perhaps what the Crystal Palace game showed too that maybe even AWB is underrated defensively and helps a lot in ways thag perhaps people dont always notice.

A-man

You're still trying to elevate his performances above what his actual level is. Going by your standards, if he performed 'good' whilst being a passive placeholder then Maguire did excellent. Both of which are untrue.

If I don't understand anything about football, then you can count the majority the forum, who unaminously think Lindelof is a below average defender, who basically 'shines' when the focus is not on him i.e a coward. He a sweeper, who does all the easy stuff and even then not great at it; when actually asked to step up, gives you more Seville/Palace performances than your Leicesters.

In the last perfomance thread, I recall very specifically you quoted me about my post criticising his 'defending' on the first Seville goal and you still tried to make it sound like 'he did a good job covering' by being passive ffs. Exact same scenario yesterday and look what happened.

Just say it man, you're a fanboy. That's fine. Stop trying to make us believe he's a good player. He's not.

it reeks of all of those Mourinho, Rooney (last 2 years here) etc supporters saying they were still doing good.
You believe what you want, just stop calling people biased, deluded, blind, etc. It’s not like I’m the only one in the world who think he was our best defender at the last part of PL19/20. And yes I think he was good last season and Maguire was better.
I really have no interest to go another round of pointless discussions with you so let’s leave it there.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Lindelof evidently costing shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. He consistently allows attacks to progress more than they should through his non defending defending. It's just that sometimes those moments luckily for us dont lead to a goal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: That's a ridiculous video. You could swap in any name in our defence in most of those goals.
Actually the first goal sums up Lindelof really well. Really good defenders would have tackled the man the byline and shut down the move. Lindelof will stand really close watching intensely as if he's actually controlling the situation.

Maguire isn't captain material, he cant even organise our defense.

Cassidy

I really think this is the case of one guy making everyone else worse.
Maguire would probably look better next to a CB that would complement him better and perhaps what the Crystal Palace game showed too that maybe even AWB is underrated defensively and helps a lot in ways thag perhaps people dont always notice.
One guy making everyone look worse ha. Ok

yamo123x

Lindelof is weak physically and mentally. I remember the year we beat Spurs away 1-0, rashford scored and de gea was amazing. That day Kane bullied Lindelof, man against boy, all match he out muscled him and towards the end Lindelof fouled him and walked over to him smiling and picked him up off the ground, patting him on the back. Too nice.

Since he has been caught ball watching for Giroud and De jong goals effectively knocking us out of 2 cups, had a mare for Sweden and then the Palace game.

Time to have a break out of the team, I’m all for Bailly or Menghi having a go.

Actually the first goal sums up Lindelof really well. Really good defenders would have tackled the man the byline and shut down the move. Lindelof will stand really close watching intensely as if he's actually controlling the situation.
True, but there were 3 other players equally at fault after that. Only the last of the 5 is truly only down to Lindelof. And arguably that ridiculous penalty.

Maguire also manages to escape criticism. He is rarely where he should be when an important tackle needs to be made.

Last edited:

Jinn

Can Luke Shaw play CB, or is it a case of square pegs?

romufc

If Ole wants to try and play this expansive football, he needs a CB who will engage. Lindelof and Maguire never engage the forwards.

I am very surprised how Ole insists with this pairing. I would be keen to give Bailly a chance because he is quick and strong.

L1nk

The problem is that Lindelof's downsides are exacerbated by the fact the rest of our defense is pretty weak, it's not like Ferdinand or Vidic or Evra or Neville or Stam or Pallister or Bruce and so on and so on were infallible, it's just that usually they were alongside defenders that were capable of picking up slack for any mistakes made. For example, the ball that went across our box, if its Ferdinand or Vidic in Shaw or Maguire's place, guarantee that ball gets cleared instead of ending up in the back of the net.

It was a mistake to buy Maguire considering we already had Lindelof, Maguire I just don't see it, as bad as Lindelof is he cost less than half the price than Maguire and yet i feel like he offers nothing that Lindelof doesn't, except maybe headers? Either way, Maguire is not going to be dropped considering the money spent, so we do need to replace Lindelof with someone more competent, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen, which means its someone we already have on the books that's going to have to partner Maguire.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lindelof couldn't clear the ball during the run from Schlupp. There was enough time to put in a tackle. It's a big mistake.
The third goal can happen, though, Zaha is a super player who thrives off these situations, can't win every duel against him, he's too good.

Overall Lindelof's performance wasn't very good, but it's the first game of the season and especially post Corona last season he looked very good.
He'll get a pass from me here. There's bigger fish to fry, especially the lack of wingers is getting on my nerves.

lRed

Do you guys realise how it's harasment towards Victor ? What you are doing.
Would you want your father, brother, or even you, to be in that position ?

It's only football and he'll bounce back.
He already showed us how good he can be, he and Maguire have been a solid partnership, look at the stats and remember the good times. Don't be that negative.

Kostov

So an untested 18 year old is better? What do you base this on? Before you get all defensive, it’s a genuine question, Mengi looks a genuine prospect, but I’d have suspected Palace would have targeted him just as much and he’d have struggled.
Or he could have dominated the shit out of mediocre attackers like Ayew and Schlupp. You never know with kids do you? Look at Greenwood, I bet there were fans who'd rather we persisted with Lingard some time ago.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

He already showed us how good he can be, he and Maguire have been a solid partnership, look at the stats and remember the good times. Don't be that negative.
Seriously? This is football forum ffs. Abuse is a no go but criticsm (and praise) is something which is normal thing to do regarding players. How is that negative? If player plays badly, what fans should do? Say that he was good? Avoid talking about?

Denis79

Lindelof is weak physically and mentally. I remember the year we beat Spurs away 1-0, rashford scored and de gea was amazing. That day Kane bullied Lindelof, man against boy, all match he out muscled him and towards the end Lindelof fouled him and walked over to him smiling and picked him up off the ground, patting him on the back. Too nice.

Since he has been caught ball watching for Giroud and De jong goals effectively knocking us out of 2 cups, had a mare for Sweden and then the Palace game.

Time to have a break out of the team, I’m all for Bailly or Menghi having a go.
After that Huddersfield game 3 years ago where Mooy utterly destroyed Lindelof I had hoped that it was just a bad day at the office. Sadly Lindelof has had too many games since then where he looks completely out of his element. He can have stints where he looks solid but then he has one of these games again. This is very costly for us since the CB position is so unforgiving.

Red00012

Someone’s looking for a like .

lRed

Seriously? This is football forum ffs. Abuse is a no go but criticsm (and praise) is something which is normal thing to do regarding players. How is that negative? If player plays badly, what fans should do? Say that he was good? Avoid talking about?
Yes he did not have a good game, no we should not abuse a man like this.
And I'm not looking for likes it's a forum what's the point ?

romufc

This is sport at the highest level. If you are getting paid the money you are to do a job and fail at it, the people paying to watch you will have their say.

Also, we may have had good defensive stats last season because our team was so defensive, we played crap football.

Now we are looking to play a bit more expansive, our defence is getting battered. Honestly, every time a team attacks us they look like scoring.

The Urban Goose

He's going to have a horrendous season. All other teams have worked him out and he will be targeted as Palace did.

Prediction - dropped by November and sold to a physically soft league next summer.

Red_toad

Or he could have dominated the shit out of mediocre attackers like Ayew and Schlupp. You never know with kids do you? Look at Greenwood, I bet there were fans who'd rather we persisted with Lingard some time ago.
I’ll stick with experience that zero 18 year olds with zero experience start at centre back for any top club. Usually they get introduced in fullback positions. But as you seem to think otherwise and mention a striker to prove it? Enjoy that thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.