Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

you are not looking at the whole picture in that 2nd goal. All the `united players defending were in zones in near post areas. All the cavalry from `Sheffield `united was arriving to the back post where `united was outgunned. Maguire is the captain and he should have enough sense to pull the players in no mans land to come back to the far post to defend. No, he does not do it, Then the ball comes over the head of `Maguire and the only way for Lindelof is to head it front wards or sideways where it hits the `Sheffield player and bounce into the goal.
Lindelof tries to organize the defence but Maguire does not listen to him. When Axel plays with him he listens to `Lindelöf.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Lindelof generally lacks heading prowess, anyway. However, there's not much point blaming him for the goal last night. That was unfortunate that his header hit the Sheffield player.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
People saying he was torn apart? What a laughable perspective!

He played a great game with one high ball that isn’t his fault as Henderson or Maguire could have gone for it too.

His pass was world class and would be the kind of thing VVD would do and everyone would be claiming he’s the best CB in the world.

Meep

Really good game from Victor. Found himself in important positions all the time. Had it hard handling McGold but I think he came up on top on that. Could have been a little more aggresive on the second goal though. And also another situation where the whole defence were drawn left and it were gaping empty in front of goal.
He has a nice touch to make to deep passes to forwards, I wish it would happen more in the games..
Also like how he has grown to solve things cooler than he did before. Dont understand the comments about him looking nervous anymore. On the other side I sometimes think he looks a little bit to relaxed. I would like him to muscle up a bit, keep practising on the heading, and be a little more "game on".

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nice pass for Rashford goals, but an utter shambles after that. He just cant win headers or fight for 50/50 balls.

Shades of Huddersfield away all over again, makes us feel so shaky.

Ekeke

I should say it was a great pass for Rashford's goal and he timed his run and took it extremely well. Give credit where its due, Lindelof's long passes are starting to come along nicely.

But yeah bemused by some of his defending last night, letting the ball bounce instead of heading it and not dealing with 2nd Sheffield goal properly

Cultured left ankle

Looking at his reactions after some of the challenges makes me think he's not 100% fit and struggling with his back still. This would go some way to explaining why he's not putting himself up for ' unnecessary' headers if he's feeling it when he lands. Look at how he fouled McGoldrick with that kind of diving rugby tackle - I think he'd taken a bit of a knock, his body needed a bit of time to recover, but knew McG was through, so he did all he could to take him down.

Cards on the table; I've always liked him as an option and he can put in fantastic displays. But he needs a rest to get up to full fitness - something which he's unlikely to get with the rest of the central defense as flimsy as they are.

Sylar

Can any of our defenders make that pass he did for Rashford?
If they can, it should be done more often

Lindelof has the ability it seems and needs to do it more especially when there's a press and space in behind when we're playing Rashford / martial

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I didnt think he was good enough for us before but I've grown enough now to think he is okay enough to be our number 3 or 4 as we develop back towards the top aslong as he is happy at being that, ie our Matip or Stones etc

dronesoul

Nice pass for Rashford goals, but an utter shambles after that. He just cant win headers or fight for 50/50 balls.

Shades of Huddersfield away all over again, makes us feel so shaky.
He won the most headers in United last night. Stats earlier in the thread.

Many in here have just decided he’s terrible in the air and keep on saying it after every game regardless of how he actually played.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Absolutely average defender, it's painful watching a defender struggling to win aerial duel against forward.

Stats don't back that up.

5/7 Aerial Duels won - 71.7% - Most in the team - Highest percentage among defenders
11/16 Duels won - 68.8% - Most in the team - Highest percentage among defenders
Most Blocked Shots in the team
4 clearances
60 passes - 80% completion - 1 Key Pass - 1 Assist

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

5/7 Aerial Duels won - 71.7% - Most in the team - Highest percentage among defenders
4 clearances
That just shows why stats are easily manipulated, he was garbage and they targeted him all night. He looked a bag of nerves every time it went near him and no PL CB should be letting the ball bounce twice before heading it.

Adam-Utd

4 clearances
Sorry mate - stats clearly don't show you the full picture do they.

In the first half he a ball bounce into our box and left it go out for a goal kick, then burke ran onto it and got a dangerous ball across goal, didn't even bother to track him.

2nd half he completely mistimed a high ball and it bounced over his head which they ran onto.

Got muscled off the ball multiple times, Mcgoldrick especially gave him a torrid time.

Got his header wrong for their 2nd goal and instead of flicking it away proceeded to head it against 1 of their players.

I just don't trust him at all. Fair play he played a nice pass for Rashfords goal but he's just too feeble to be a CB in England.

A-man

Wow, I thought he was really bad, especially when we were under pressure in the first 20 mins. Lost the first few duels, got bullied, gave away free kicks and had a very gif-able moment where he just got out of the strikers way as they ran through to have a shot (which Henderson did well with).

Lovely assist, but he's a centre back.

If Maguire is going to have to play because of his price tag, imo we desperately need a more physically gifted player. Teams know to hoof it him because he's kinda tiny and weak for a centre back in the premier league.
"Bullying" is a word that some people throw around stereotypically when it comes to certain players. If Lindelof is out powered he is "bullied". If exactly the same happens to Maguire, he is not bullied (instead he is always "too slow" or "turns like an oil rig"). I understand that some people don't like Lindelof and some don't like Maguire, but to that extent that they make up things after a victory. That's beyond me.

I looked at the first 20 minutes again. Lindelof was involved in following, could have missed something:

2:57 Pushed in the back - got freekick
7:02 won aerial duel
12:30 Shields the ball so Henderson can collect it
15:20 Lost aerial duel
15:50 Whole defence incl Lindelof lok unorganised after Matic was dribbled
20:20 Won sprint against Burke, pushed in the back and got freekick

1. Where does he get bullied? When he was pushed in the back after winning the ball? Lindelof got up immediately afterwards while the opponent stayed down moaning.
2. Where does he give away free kicks (plural)? Not a single one. The only free kick he gave away in the match was in 45th minute.

I didn't add the conceded goal as I don't think he was involved in that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I have no issue with him when he's on the ball, as technically he's one of our better players in that respect, but without it ? he gives me the nerves.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd say Lindelof is better at passing up through the middle of the field, while Maguire is better at passing out wide to put fullbacks and wingers into good positions.
maguire plays a lot of square balls under little pressure, Lindelöf’s vision to spot forward runs is much better.

Foxbatt

You take Maguire out of the equation and Lindelof would be a better CB. The reasons are that he is a better organiser but with Maguire around, as the club captain Maguire is not a leader. Look at their second goal. We do zonal marking. The back post was overloaded. Why did `Sheffield `united block Deano? Because they were going to put the ball in that area. Anyone with a brain should know that there were no Sheffield United players at the near post for any near post flicks. They should be also be able to see all the big players coming for the far post. So why did not Maguire not only as the club Captain but also the CB not pull some of them from the near post to the centre at least and he goes further back? Because he is not a top class defender. I am sure all or most of us remember our second goal we scored against Ajax in the EL Final. Why? Because `Herrera took the responsibility and had the brains to stay back and send Miki up front because he had a yellow and could have got into trouble if he was the last man. Jose wanted Miki to be the last man but onfield Anders took the responsibility to change it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Can any of our defenders make that pass he did for Rashford?
If they can, it should be done more often

Lindelof has the ability it seems and needs to do it more especially when there's a press and space in behind when we're playing Rashford / martial
Maguire can, but it takes him 1,5 game to see that run and execute the pass.

Ekeke

maguire plays a lot of square balls under little pressure, Lindelöf’s vision to spot forward runs is much better.
If we're talking about in the past 5-10 games then you have a point. Lindelof has had a couple of good long passes to set players away while Maguire hasnt really had any noticable passes

But before that point its completely the other way around. Last season for example Maguire played far more and over the course of his career has made more of a name for it

A-man

I'd say Lindelof is better at passing up through the middle of the field, while Maguire is better at passing out wide to put fullbacks and wingers into good positions.
Agree with this. To some extent it might have to do with the fact that Maguires curved long balls to FB/Winger is not possible to to on the other side for a right footed person. And it is easier for Lindelof to pick a pass through the middle because he’s right footed playing to the right.

dronesoul

That just shows why stats are easily manipulated, he was garbage and they targeted him all night. He looked a bag of nerves every time it went near him and no PL CB should be letting the ball bounce twice before heading it.
You guys always find a way to give him no credit whatsoever, even with blunt facts in your face.

It’s as if you never watch any other defender, and hold VNL to some insane standard that no CB in the world would meet. VVD and Ramos do the same kind of “mistakes”. They don’t win every header in every game.

If he truly is so terrible, why does United have a theoretical chance of being at 2nd place in the league (one game behind every other team)? Why have we conceded as many goals as Liverpool, with their supposedly best CB in the world? Why is it that the only game United’s defense collapsed, is one when VNL didn’t play?

With supporters like you, who needs scousers?

Last edited:

Mickson

Sorry mate - stats clearly don't show you the full picture do they.

In the first half he a ball bounce into our box and left it go out for a goal kick, then burke ran onto it and got a dangerous ball across goal, didn't even bother to track him.

2nd half he completely mistimed a high ball and it bounced over his head which they ran onto.

Got muscled off the ball multiple times, Mcgoldrick especially gave him a torrid time.

Got his header wrong for their 2nd goal and instead of flicking it away proceeded to head it against 1 of their players.

I just don't trust him at all. Fair play he played a nice pass for Rashfords goal but he's just too feeble to be a CB in England.
And the fact that he just let McGoldrick (?) walk past him in the penalty area. Such a passive defender. That's why he rarely gets dribbled by or make clear mistakes, he just avoids situations and let someone else take responsibility. I see people raving about VNL and then I think about Rio and Vidic, no wonder that we are where we are.

Adam-Utd

And the fact that he just let McGoldrick (?) walk past him in the penalty area. Such a passive defender. That's why he rarely gets dribbled by or make clear mistakes, he just avoids situations and let someone else take responsibility. I see people raving about VNL and then I think about Rio and Vidic, no wonder that we are where we are.
Oh yeah I knew there was something I was missing!

that was ridiculous, just ghosted past him like he wasn't even there.

People really make me laugh when they say he was "good" just because he hit 1 good long ball :lol: I can't wait until we get a proper CB for once, there's just a lack of them about.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Really good game from Victor. Found himself in important positions all the time. Had it hard handling McGold but I think he came up on top on that. Could have been a little more aggresive on the second goal though. And also another situation where the whole defence were drawn left and it were gaping empty in front of goal.
He has a nice touch to make to deep passes to forwards, I wish it would happen more in the games..
Also like how he has grown to solve things cooler than he did before. Dont understand the comments about him looking nervous anymore. On the other side I sometimes think he looks a little bit to relaxed. I would like him to muscle up a bit, keep practising on the heading, and be a little more "game on".
I thought he had a decent game with an assist too. But it sounds strange to say he handled McGoldrick when that player scored twice, despite him being one of the shittest strikers in the PL

Adam-Utd

I thought he had a decent game with an assist too. But it sounds strange to say he handled McGoldrick when that player scored twice, despite him being one of the shittest strikers in the PL
How can you class a game with so many individual errors as good? he was just lucky they didn't take advantage of his mistakes so it gets swept under the carpet.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How can you class a game with so many individual errors as good? he was just lucky they didn't take advantage of his mistakes so it gets swept under the carpet.
Don’t get me wrong, I dislike him strongly. I think he’s a nothing defender. I’d upgrade him in a heartbeat. But it wasn’t his worst game

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think it's when there is mistakes with an assist for example.

It's like if a striker scores an own goal but scores a goal on the other side - it may even it out a little.

Lindelof did get an important assist to get us back in to the game.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Slow, poor in the air and easily out muscled.

Seems like everyone is going in on Maguire right now because he's been very poor since his Greece episode but Lindelof isn't any better.

We will never win a league title with him in the defence. He's just not good enough.

I'd rather see Maguire be trusted with the next big CB signing rather than the other way around.

Eugenius

For those complaining about people saying Lindelof can be 'bullied' or is crap in the air. Here are the words of the man who signed him (1 minute in)

Man Utd 6:2 Leeds United

dronesoul

Absolute trash.

Did nothing right. Terrible in the air, got bullied all the time and had the audacity to score a goal instead of Maguire.

Obviously joking. He was very good as usual this season, despite almost never being rested and having back problems. Positioned himself perfectly throughout the game and did well to break free and score a composed goal.

Based Adnan

Done well today but based on a recent interview he gave he needs resting. Trouble is our back up cbs are crocks.
Lindelof openly admits he has been struggling with a back injury but is determined to keep playing in an effort to help the team achieve success. He is struggling with pain, make no mistake, yet he is pleased by his recent performances and is working hard to remain available at all times.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...terview-to-preview-leeds-match-on-20-dec-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.