Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

See I'd be saying the exact same thing, regardless of which team or player it applies to because thats the approach I like to take. Not overly defending players, nor overly going after players. Trying to be balanced as hard as it can be and then getting flack by the extreme posters on both sides. For me its a foul but absolutely accidental whether our player does it or their player does it. But I dont think I'd be insisting it was a red card if it happened to us, and likewise I think its a foul and im not saying Lindelof should have been off. But I am saying its dagerous because... Lets be real, theres discussion that heading is dangerous because concussions are dangerous. This is much more dangerous than just a normal, completely innocent attempted header with you leading with your head.
I am in awe if you are able to sit through a football match watching the team you support and be that objective. Lindelöf's charge is accidental, but it is only dangerous because the defender is completely unaware of what is going on around him. For me, he is just as much, if not more, to blame than Lindelöf who at least challenges for the ball. It's the same with players who duck for an aerial challenge. It looks like the leaping player assaults the one who bends over, but in reality it is the one not challenging in the air that is causing dangerous, potential neck breaking (which happened in Norway, btw) situation. It's not the same, but that's another where the same players are always blamed. As a footballer, especially for a corner with so many players inside the box, you need to be aware of what is going on.

Ekeke

I am in awe if you are able to sit through a football match watching the team you support and be that objective. Lindelöf's charge is accidental, but it is only dangerous because the defender is completely unaware of what is going on around him. For me, he is just as much, if not more, to blame than Lindelöf who at least challenges for the ball. It's the same with players who duck for an aerial challenge. It looks like the leaping player assaults the one who bends over, but in reality it is the one not challenging in the air that is causing dangerous, potential neck breaking (which happened in Norway, btw) situation. It's not the same, but that's another where the same players are always blamed. As a footballer, especially for a corner with so many players inside the box, you need to be aware of what is going on.
I'm absolutely not neutral/objective when I watch the match, in regards to I obviously want us to win and when our players do well I'm happy for them and us. And when its one of my favourite players in the team doing it I'm even more happy.

But I feel like being fair and honest about what we did well and where we can improve and what the other team did well or are weak is to the benefit of the team and myself and my understanding of football.

As for Lindelof and the challenge only being dangerous... Look, its always dangerous to jump with your knee as the furthest point forward. If he had gone with his head furthest point forward like Vidic in the majority of his headed goals in the video I posted, then he'd be seeing the person in front of him and be able to adjust and not clatter him full force with bone to skull. If nobody was there and he knew that before doing it, then its not as dangerous - someone could still stoop in with a diving header or something late on and surprise him. But that would be a lot more understandable. But Lindelof knows he's there so doing that at all is dangerous. Even if he caught the player in the ribs instead of the face or something, thats something that can easily injure someone

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No great surprise to see the usual fecking subjects dominating two different threads absolutely determined to crucify him over one unlucky moment, with no intention of discussing his actual performance. Which was very good.

Starting to think it’s no coincidence that all our CB’s look more assured with Henderson in nets.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Unfortunately Lindelof goes through ups and downs.
I good game and another shite.

Rossa

I'm absolutely not neutral/objective when I watch the match, in regards to I obviously want us to win and when our players do well I'm happy for them and us. And when its one of my favourite players in the team doing it I'm even more happy.

But I feel like being fair and honest about what we did well and where we can improve and what the other team did well or are weak is to the benefit of the team and myself and my understanding of football.

As for Lindelof and the challenge only being dangerous... Look, its always dangerous to jump with your knee as the furthest point forward. If he had gone with his head furthest point forward like Vidic in the majority of his headed goals in the video I posted, then he'd be seeing the person in front of him and be able to adjust and not clatter him full force with bone to skull. If nobody was there and he knew that before doing it, then its not as dangerous - someone could still stoop in with a diving header or something late on and surprise him. But that would be a lot more understandable. But Lindelof knows he's there so doing that at all is dangerous. Even if he caught the player in the ribs instead of the face or something, thats something that can easily injure someone
Well, goalies always go with one knee ahead of them to prevent an injury to themselves. Not reacting to what is going on around you inside the penalty box is asking for trouble. Looking at Ronaldo and his headers, he has his impeccable body control where even his toes are pointing downwards. From a compilation, I could only once see his knees as the furthest point forward, but others are not as controlled as him. Lindelöf looked a little uncontrolled. In hindsight, I have no problems with the foul, but at the same time the defender shares some of the blame for being so blatantly unaware of what is going on around him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Nobody going to talk about that challenge he made in the box first half? That cross was deadly and if that was Chris Smalling he would have walloped it into his own goal. Lindelof had the technique to open his foot and put it out for a corner, was truly brilliant defending.

Sylar

Nobody going to talk about that challenge he made in the box first half? That cross was deadly and if that was Chris Smalling he would have walloped it into his own goal. Lindelof had the technique to open his foot and put it out for a corner, was truly brilliant defending.
It was, but read the thread and you will see he was actually criticised for doing that. Seriously.

Ekeke

Its been mentioned several times. But he did also play the player onside. Had he not dropped he wouldnt have needed to make the clearance, but since he did play him onside it was a good tackle to save it

Brightonian

No great surprise to see the usual fecking subjects dominating two different threads absolutely determined to crucify him over one unlucky moment, with no intention of discussing his actual performance. Which was very good.

Starting to think it’s no coincidence that all our CB’s look more assured with Henderson in nets.
Agree with this, I thought he and Bailly were very good. I always think Bailly's good, I'm a massive fan of his. But I was surprised by Lindelof. Possibly it has something to do with Henderson but I think it also just confirms that Lindelof and Maguire to do not complement each other. Bailly makes either one of them better just by being there.

Tbh my irritation that he got Tuanzebe's goal ruled out was alleviated by being impressed he can jump so high! Ronaldo-esque, excluding the part where he kneed a man in the face. :lol:

A-man

Its been mentioned several times. But he did also play the player onside. Had he not dropped he wouldnt have needed to make the clearance, but since he did play him onside it was a good tackle to save it
There is no chance you can play an offside line in a situation like that. Also I’m not even sure it would have been offside as the ball seems to be in line when it’s passed. It would be a very close call anyway.

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
Hah. I can see it already; Lindelof not going for it and thus putting Isak offside, only to then have the usual suspects on here absolutely blasting him for losing Isak and being lucky that it was offside...

Sometimes you just can't win. :lol:

Caesar2290

So the man has a good game. And once again it's when Henderson is in goal. And once again it's when his partner is a pacy CB.

So who's willing to bet that in the next match he'll play next to Maguire with DDG in goal? :lol:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hah. I can see it already; Lindelof not going for it and thus putting Isak offside, only to then have the usual suspects on here absolutely blasting him for losing Isak and being lucky that it was offside...

Sometimes you just can't win. :lol:
Its Ekeke. He's obsessed.

Andersons Dietician

He looked so much better and confident last night with Bailly and on the left. That leap, when did he get those hops?

Ekeke

There is no chance you can play an offside line in a situation like that. Also I’m not even sure it would have been offside as the ball seems to be in line when it’s passed. It would be a very close call anyway.
He wouldnt need to "play offside". The player was offside, he just needed to not step back. He stepped back causing him to be onside

A-man

He wouldnt need to "play offside". The player was offside, he just needed to not step back. He stepped back causing him to be onside
In this situation it is better to cover. Plus I’m not sure he would have been offside as the ball seems to be in line with the player when it is passed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He looked so much better and confident last night with Bailly and on the left. That leap, when did he get those hops?
I don't see it personally, thought he played his usual game but had Bailly covering his weaknesses.

Bailly enables both Lindelof and Maguire. As Gary Neville said, they're both too similar to play together and don't compliment eachother.

It's Bailly +1 in my eyes, Lindelof/Maguire can fight it out.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's literally zero point in entertaining the idea of a future regular partnership between Lindelof & Bailly.

It'll never happen.

Well it might... but at a different club.

Shimo

Last night illustrated the issue with a Lindelof/Maguire partnership. A few times, Lindelof was being done for pace but, Baily was able to help cover. You put either in Baily place and they don't do the same.

Lindelof is a good defender, I think he is better with passing than Maguire but, Maguire is better running with the ball and heading. Both need a player like Baily next to them and as much as I like Baily, that he can't play more than a few games before having an injury seems like a flimsy option to try build a back 4 on. Switch CB game to game should not happen unless absolutely necessary.

Ekeke

In this situation it is better to cover. Plus I’m not sure he would have been offside as the ball seems to be in line with the player when it is passed.
Again, thats because he stepped back. The attacker went early and was offside via all the other defenders, Lindelof went with him as a reaction before the ball was being played in. But he didnt need to. He could have been aware that he's already off, especially since the reason Isak is offside is that he ran past Lindelof, in front of him, hoping for a pass before the ball was played out to the crosser. So he 100% knows hes gone past him and hes there.

Here's a shot of the ball being played towards the winger who then plays the ball across the box first time. At no point does Isak move backwards to get back onside, he simply becomes onside because Lindelof drops back after this shot

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Again, thats because he stepped back. The attacker went early and was offside via all the other defenders, Lindelof went with him as a reaction before the ball was being played in. But he didnt need to. He could have been aware that he's already off, especially since the reason Isak is offside is that he ran past Lindelof, in front of him, hoping for a pass before the ball was played out to the crosser. So he 100% knows hes gone past him and hes there.

Here's a shot of the ball being played towards the winger who then plays the ball across the box first time. At no point does Isak move backwards to get back onside, he simply becomes onside because Lindelof drops back after this shot

Cmon, I dislike Lindelofs defending as much as anybody, but you can't play offside in that situation. All the 10 needs to do is take an extra touch and then slide it across goal for a tap in.

They defended that about as good as they could have, ideally though AWB shouldn't be so tucked in - that is the biggest error of them all. He should be there to block it even coming across goal in the first place.

romufc

Not convinced by Lindelof. Decent defender, but lacks physicality, pace and power. Kounde would be my choice of summer signing. Kounde and Maguire is another level to Lindelof and Maguire.
How many games have you watched Kounde play?

Raven

How many games have you watched Kounde play?
I've seen a lot of people talking about Kounde, I hadn't even heard his name until a few weeks or months ago, never seen him play. From what I've read, we could have similar issues with him to Lindelof, him being shorter than the Swede himself. Seems like a bit of a hype train to me.

romufc

I've seen a lot of people talking about Kounde, I hadn't even heard his name until a few weeks or months ago, never seen him play. From what I've read, we could have similar issues with him to Lindelof, him being shorter than the Swede himself. Seems like a bit of a hype train to me.
This is exactly what I am thinking. Last year it was his CB pairing Diego Carlos with the hype and this summer Kounde.

Its funny people are on this Kounde train complain about Lindelof in the air.. well this guy is not going to be any better is he?

We need someone like Bailly who stays fit really.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
They're very different. Yeah, Kounde is not tall, but is very quick and great on the ball. Also reads the game really well which is useful when you play beside someone like Diego Carlos who is a liability.

Nicoseth

This is exactly what I am thinking. Last year it was his CB pairing Diego Carlos with the hype and this summer Kounde.

Its funny people are on this Kounde train complain about Lindelof in the air.. well this guy is not going to be any better is he?

We need someone like Bailly who stays fit really.
Lindelof is not great in the air because he lacks aggression. The same cannot be said of Kounde. Kounde is not the finished article, but he's class. If we don't get him, he'll got to another top club for sure. Real Madrid want him as Ramos replacement, but doubt they can afford him.

Ekeke

Cmon, I dislike Lindelofs defending as much as anybody, but you can't play offside in that situation. All the 10 needs to do is take an extra touch and then slide it across goal for a tap in.

They defended that about as good as they could have, ideally though AWB shouldn't be so tucked in - that is the biggest error of them all. He should be there to block it even coming across goal in the first place.
Again, he doesnt need to "play offside". He just needs to not run back and play him onside. He's already offside without trying

Raven

They're very different. Yeah, Kounde is not tall, but is very quick and great on the ball. Also reads the game really well which is useful when you play beside someone like Diego Carlos who is a liability.
From the stats I've seen, they dont seem all that different. I'll keep my eye out for when they're playing though so I can have a look at him myself, maybe we can revisit after I've had a chance to look at some of their matches?

Nicoseth

100%. You can't try to play offside for a ball whipped in across the box like that. Impossible. Lindelof did well there. Overall though, he's the weak link in the defense.

A-man

You are watching the players. But the ball seems to be in line with the receiver when it is passed which means it doesn’t matter where our players are.

tompo18

It's so obvious this player is just not good enough to play for a team hoping to win the premier league and champions league.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Please never get involved in coaching football. Not even grass roots.

Yeah let’s just let strikers be completely unmarked in the box with their winger able to play a pull back if we do so.

Jesus Christ @Ekeke we get it. You hate Lindelof an irrational amount and cannot see anything good that he does so mircoanalyse good defending thinking it’s bad.

Foxbatt

You are watching the players. But the ball seems to be in line with the receiver when it is passed which means it doesn’t matter where our players are.
Correct and Lindelof is trying to play him offside and the ball is inline and opponent scored and we all shout at Lindelof for playing the offside trap and conceding a goal.
Ole himself on record had said that we don't play the offside trap.
So Lindelof did what anyone with any sense did. He didn't take a risk. As a defender that's what he should do and he did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.