Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

I am not his biggest fan but I think he has been playing well recently.
If Bailly signs a new contract we will definitely not be in the market for another CB as Ole sees Lindelof in front of Bailly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's started doing the things we wanted to see more out of him.

There was a tackle in the 1st half on Kessie after Bruno gifted them the ball, aggressive, intentive and cleared it out of danger.

Normally he'd just stand there with his hands behind his back and jockey, so I was glad to see that.

It was never personal with Lindelof and if he can keep this form up i'll be happy.

Andersons Dietician

There was a tackle in the 1st half on Kessie after Bruno gifted them the ball, aggressive, intentive and cleared it out of danger.

Normally he'd just stand there with his hands behind his back and jockey, so I was glad to see that.

It was never personal with Lindelof and if he can keep this form up i'll be happy.
That second last sentence is harsh. He stands and jockeys when it’s the best option. Yesterday there was no other option than to get at the player and make the slide and clear it out. He’s done this on other occasions as well.

Overall he was great yesterday.

Raven

I generally quite like Lindelof but yesterday he was a different animal. I hope he keeps this form because he's been like this at other times throughout his stay here but hasn't managed to maintain it. Is it possible he's over the back injury now, I wonder?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That second last sentence is harsh. He stands and jockeys when it’s the best option. Yesterday there was no other option than to get at the player and make the slide and clear it out. He’s done this on other occasions as well.

Overall he was great yesterday.
I don't think it is, that's his usual style of defending. While I agree the slide was the best option I've seen plenty of other similar situations where he'll just choose to not engage and try to get a block away instead.

Anyway, no need for criticism today as he played well.
I generally quite like Lindelof but yesterday he was a different animal. I hope he keeps this form because he's been like this at other times throughout his stay here but hasn't managed to maintain it. Is it possible he's over the back injury now, I wonder?
I'd say they've managed him better rotating with Bailly. Before it was just Lindelof 24/7 and that probably wore him down and made it harder. With being able to rest i'd say it's helped? perhaps it's the added confidence of a loud/confident goalkeeper behind him too.

How good was it to hear Henderson shouting loudly "keepers" when a high ball came into the box as he comes to collect it. Simple things like that just add so much as a centre back, communcation is key which im not sure DDG is big on.

Raven

I don't think it is, that's his usual style of defending. While I agree the slide was the best option I've seen plenty of other similar situations where he'll just choose to not engage and try to get a block away instead.

Anyway, no need for criticism today as he played well.

I'd say they've managed him better rotating with Bailly. Before it was just Lindelof 24/7 and that probably wore him down and made it harder. With being able to rest i'd say it's helped? perhaps it's the added confidence of a loud/confident goalkeeper behind him too.

How good was it to hear Henderson shouting loudly "keepers" when a high ball came into the box as he comes to collect it. Simple things like that just add so much as a centre back, communcation is key which im not sure DDG is big on.
Possibly the rotation is helping, he looked really fast and aggressive both on and off the ball yesterday. He's better on the ball than Maguire I reckon but it's possible his back injury has been preventing him from making his surging runs like we saw more from him last season.

Regarding your point about Henderson, I'm not entirely sure if the change of keeper has had that much of an effect, although maybe it has, it's certainly nice seeing our keeper coming our to collect the ball more often.

Lindelof has had periods where he's played excellently with De Gea, such as the season before last where I felt he was probably our third best player after Pogba and Shaw and, to a lesser extent, post lock down last season where I felt he was comfortably better than Maguire. It's clear this season that we've tried to play in a more controlling manner and maybe De Gea isn't suited to that type of football and that's why we've been struggling a little defensively this season. I hope De Gea has been watching closely and adds more dominance of the area to his game because he's still comfortably our best shot stopper and a club legend who should (emphasis on should) be right in his prime.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I still think hes very underrated as a player. I get the arguments that he doesn't necessarily complement the attributes of Maguire and I think there's a degree of truth in that but I do think individually he's a very good player who operates at a pretty consistent level. Physically he's without a doubt improved during his time at the club and isn't getting bullied anywhere nearly as often. I would still look at bringing in a CB with some pace and intensity but Lindelof is far better than he is credited.

Raven

I still think hes very underrated as a player. I get the arguments that he doesn't necessarily complement the attributes of Maguire and I think there's a degree of truth in that but I do think individually he's a very good player who operates at a pretty consistent level. Physically he's without a doubt improved during his time at the club and isn't getting bullied anywhere nearly as often. I would still look at bringing in a CB with some pace and intensity but Lindelof is far better than he is credited.
Absolutely, and I'll be honest, 6 weeks ago, I didn't think Lindelof was good enough for us but recently he's really reminded me of why I rated him so highly. I think a lot of his form this season can be attributed to his back injury and probably a change in our style of play as well.

He's a lot faster than he's given credit for, not world class on the ball but very good, more than decent in the air, relatively strong but for me his main strength is his awareness and reading of the game. He's very rarely out of position and almost never leaves his keeper exposed, which is why we concede so few from open play. If we sort out our set piece defending we could be an incredible team defensively.

Dve

What I have noticed about Lindelöf lately is the aggression he has added to his game. He´s always been tidy on the ball and good in positioning, but a bit weak in duels. I think he´s playing for his United career, and if he keep playing like he´s done the last month, he might well have one.

KW2006

The Berbatov/Veron of a defender, which is very good but his style may not be getting on very well with the Premier League

Brightonian

Best barnet at United since that Daley Blind was here shooting her Herbal Essences adverts. Needs to shave the candyfloss off his lip though.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Absolutely, and I'll be honest, 6 weeks ago, I didn't think Lindelof was good enough for us but recently he's really reminded me of why I rated him so highly. I think a lot of his form this season can be attributed to his back injury and probably a change in our style of play as well.

He's a lot faster than he's given credit for, not world class on the ball but very good, more than decent in the air, relatively strong but for me his main strength is his awareness and reading of the game. He's very rarely out of position and almost never leaves his keeper exposed, which is why we concede so few from open play. If we sort out our set piece defending we could be an incredible team defensively.
Yeh agree with you there especially in his reading of the game. Also I’ll add that he never gets enough credit for his one on one defending on the ground. He very rarely gets beaten when someone is dribbling at him. He’s very good at watching the ball and knowing when to step in which is one of the weaknesses of Bailey who tends to commit early.

Raven

Yeh agree with you there especially in his reading of the game. Also I’ll add that he never gets enough credit for his one on one defending on the ground. He very rarely gets beaten when someone is dribbling at him. He’s very good at watching the ball and knowing when to step in which is one of the weaknesses of Bailey who tends to commit early.
Yeah his one on one defending is often something he's criticised for, to passive apparently, what they don't seem to grasp is that he's usually isolated and if he lunges in before backup arrives, he's at serious risk of being skipped past or giving away a dangerous free kick and potentially getting himself sent off. I would actually put that in the reading of the game category but it's good to highlight it.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I thought he was outstanding last night, one of the best games I've seen him play. He read the Milan attack so well and as a result his positioning was impeccable. Man of the match IMO

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Superb performance last night was really good to watch him feel confident in his defending

Zlatans Knee

He must be playing like Maldini in his hey day because people in here have found far better targets for their criticism. Personally I would love to be proved as wrong about Fred as some people have been about Victor.

Ekeke

What I want to see more often. Also I'll say in the past that people talked about him reading things well. Against Milan he put that into practice and its why he made the 5 interceptions he did.

bsCallout

He definitely is more aggressive. That stupid header when Maguire scored was a sign of it. He seems to be putting in the work to get better for sure.

A-man

What I want to see more often. Also I'll say in the past that people talked about him reading things well. Against Milan he put that into practice and its why he made the 5 interceptions he did.
This has nothing to do with Lindelof, but what was up with the interceptions yesterday? Both Lindelof and Harry had 5 each according to the stats. The clearance/tackle Lindelof did after Bruno’s misplaced pass was registered as a interception as example. Never seen that kind of action registered as an interception before. It kind of shows that the whoscored stats are very subjective.

Ekeke

This has nothing to do with Lindelof, but what was up with the interceptions yesterday? Both Lindelof and Harry had 5 each according to the stats. The clearance/tackle Lindelof did after Bruno’s misplaced pass was registered as a interception as example. Never seen that kind of action registered as an interception before. It kind of shows that the whoscored stats are very subjective.
I dont know for sure but I'm assuming it counted as an interception rather than a "tackle" because it was a pass intended for another player that didnt make it there and so he didnt have it under control. Of course we can see its a slidetackle and most people would probably call it a tackle based on that.

I'd say its both really, but maybe things mess up when you double dip stats so they chose to mark it down as an interception rather than both. Why interception over tackle if you're only going to call it one of them? Maybe they felt that noting it as an interception is a better description of what happened overall.

On the whole I don't see why it matters too much because when I look at the data I always look at them both together. True I would imagine someone who averages a high amount of interceptions instead of a high amount of tackles per game is probably better at positioning themselves and anticipating things. But 1 thing in 1 single game isn't going to change those stats over a longer period of time. If Lindelof is better at intercepting than at tackling he's going to make more interceptions overall. This is however one of the reasons I always say to look at all the data not just looking at one particular stat in a similar field. Interceptions and tackles are usually a different way of going about things but they mostly end up with the same effect of trying to proactively win the ball.

Polar

Great performance against Milan. Got the impression his speed and quickness have improved. He also showed determination, authority and was more “aggressive” in his play than usual.

Maybe something to do with Milan’s offensive players aren’t very physical (actually the opposite)?

Anyway... Italian football seems to fit him perfectly, but he also been good in PL lately, especially when he play against technical teams. He probably have to work with how to handle very physical players in PL and teams who play more directly from the deep.

Sylar

Having a vocal goalkeeper probably helps a lot for him.

Will be interesting to see how he plays once DDG returns behind him

A-man

I dont know for sure but I'm assuming it counted as an interception rather than a "tackle" because it was a pass intended for another player that didnt make it there and so he didnt have it under control. Of course we can see its a slidetackle and most people would probably call it a tackle based on that.

I'd say its both really, but maybe things mess up when you double dip stats so they chose to mark it down as an interception rather than both. Why interception over tackle if you're only going to call it one of them? Maybe they felt that noting it as an interception is a better description of what happened overall.

On the whole I don't see why it matters too much because when I look at the data I always look at them both together. True I would imagine someone who averages a high amount of interceptions instead of a high amount of tackles per game is probably better at positioning themselves and anticipating things. But 1 thing in 1 single game isn't going to change those stats over a longer period of time. If Lindelof is better at intercepting than at tackling he's going to make more interceptions overall. This is however one of the reasons I always say to look at all the data not just looking at one particular stat in a similar field. Interceptions and tackles are usually a different way of going about things but they mostly end up with the same effect of trying to proactively win the ball.
It makes sense from the definition of interception, to prevent a pass from reaching the opponent. Just that I haven’t seen them be so “generous” with interceptions before. In some ways it doesn’t really matter, but it just shows that these stats are very subjective. Someone is judging whether a player was challenged enough to call it an aerial is another example.

I used to think Lindeolf was the issue in our defence, all i will say is i was wrong about that.

Juanito

Supports
Chelsea
I think he was soft on the second goal but I'll give that I am unsure how he should have done better given that Maguire didn't push high enough (Maguire should have gone all the way up and smashed tielemans in the back / nigged his feet a bit). Like others said Lindelof was not the biggest problem today and he doesn't make the mistake Maguire does in the passing (taking too much risk as in the goal) but he also didn't really influence the game in a positive way.

criticalanalysis

Inside the box, individually he and Maguire did good and were well positioned to clear balls.

Outside the box, Lindelof wasn't touch tight in the channels or did much of note in any duels or progressive passing. In a higher line where they are both required to push up the field and deal with individual duels, they were both exposed. Overall not a bad game but not a good one.

However, we were horrible as a defensive unit and the whole defence, especially the CBs, must take some blame for that. And Matic/Fred.

Lindelof could have been more proactive for the second goal (he was covering Vardy's run but no suprises that he just keep backing off), but think it was mostly Maguire and Fred.

Ekeke

Better than Maguire, Fred and Matic today but worse than the fullbacks. Back to not being aggressive or doing much defensively but made less mistakes than Maguire

RedDevil250

I think he was soft on the second goal but I'll give that I am unsure how he should have done better given that Maguire didn't push high enough (Maguire should have gone all the way up and smashed tielemans in the back / nigged his feet a bit). Like others said Lindelof was not the biggest problem today and he doesn't make the mistake Maguire does in the passing (taking too much risk as in the goal) but he also didn't really influence the game in a positive way.
He still lets his man run across him too often and isn't great in the air. Both big drawbacks for his game. He's playing solid, but he isn't Sergio Ramos.

spiriticon

I think he's playing very well recently but I'm still not convinced that when the going gets tough, he won't be bullied.

A-man

Not at fault for goals but could and should do better. Individually, he had some important interceptions and managed Vardy, but he could have stepped up more. The back line and the midfield played with no communication or cooperation and unfortunately the midfield had a nightmare performance.

Lindelof looked really tired last 15. Hope it was just tired and not the back.
We had Milan and Leicester with two recovery days in between. Ole had to prioritise one of the games and prioritised Milan. Resting some key players and the others looked tired and I guess this is the performance you get from the team. If there had been a good backup, this is a match he should have been rested just like Shaw, or subbed. This shows the importance to get one more reliable CB for rotation.

5.5/10 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.