Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Honestly done with Lindelof. He is not good enough to be a starter and is the first centre-back I would move on when reinforcements eventually (hopefully) come in.

Jones doesn't count by the way, he's not a player.

Morpheus 7

Soft, the lack of leadership is so bad. We'll never win a league with this soft fckr, passes responsibility on so much. I don't trust him at all. Squad player at best.

edcunited1878

He wasn't good tonight but neither was any of the backline, GK, or McFred. It was just a poor game from him along with half the outfield players.

Didn't look comfortable tonight going up against Liverpool with Bailly nor taking the left center back position. His partnership with Maguire has always been understated. It's been positively effective and gotten better this year.

Need to sort it out with Bailly in the next couple of games and hope that Maguire is fit for the Final.

tjb

You'll get others defending him saying 'he did well to follow TAA and not dive in', 'he bought time for his team mates to come back', 'a lot of people think diving in with last ditch tackles is superior defending, it's not and Lindelof is an intelligent defender', 'it's not his fault other people were worst in front of him', 'not the worst of the lot, he did okay', 'he wasn't at direct fault for the goals so therefore he must have been decent' on and on and on and on..

He looks good filling holes for Maguire and AWB because those two are absolutely dominant in defending and the former also in taking responsibility with the ball, so people start elevating Lindelof's performances and equating the good work of others as his own. He's had some good form this year and that's credit to him but he is absolutely the weakest link in our defence.

Any moment in a game it becomes stretched or calls for some strong individual defending or passing, he will pick a deferring tactic e.g stall on the opposition player, making little engagement to wait for team mates or when pressed keep squaring it to everyone else.
I agree completely. It feels like people don't actually watch our games at times. Lindelof is equivalent to Blind being saved by Smalling ( without the on ball confidence). AWB is the one who suffers the most from covering him. The poor guy has to cover the entire right flank up until the right centr half space, yet people get on him for positioning.

A-man

Not a good match even though he wasn’t at fault for any of the goals or made any direct mistakes. But I had hoped he would organise the defence better.

I’m starting to think Baillys bad form is costing us stability in the centre. Maguire -Bailly vs Roma was a real chicken house defence and we conceded 3, Tuanzebe -Bailly vs Leicester was also unorganised and then we all saw how it looked against Liverpool.

People who say Lindelof and also Bailly are cowards when they have the ball and are pressed, who should they pass? They passed Fred several times and Fred lost possession countless times. One time it even cost a goal. I seriously don’t think this is a CB problem, it is a McFred problem.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think he was much better than Bailly or Shaw tbf to him. But generally much better as a RCB and next to Maguire.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not a good match even though he wasn’t at fault for any of the goals or made any direct mistakes. But I had hoped he would organise the defence better.

I’m starting to think Baillys bad form is costing us stability in the centre. Maguire -Bailly vs Roma was a real chicken house defence and we conceded 3, Tuanzebe -Bailly vs Leicester was also unorganised and then we all saw how it looked against Liverpool.

People who say Lindelof and also Bailly are cowards when they have the ball and are pressed, who should they pass? They passed Fred several times and Fred lost possession countless times. One time it even cost a goal. I seriously don’t think this is a CB problem, it is a McFred problem.
It happens in EVERY game passing sideways when pressed. I know because it drives me mad every game

him, Bailly and Jones just aren’t good enough to be starters at this great club.

neither is Fred but that’s for another thread

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You'll get others defending him saying 'he did well to follow TAA and not dive in', 'he bought time for his team mates to come back', 'a lot of people think diving in with last ditch tackles is superior defending, it's not and Lindelof is an intelligent defender', 'it's not his fault other people were worst in front of him', 'not the worst of the lot, he did okay', 'he wasn't at direct fault for the goals so therefore he must have been decent' on and on and on and on..

He looks good filling holes for Maguire and AWB because those two are absolutely dominant in defending and the former also in taking responsibility with the ball, so people start elevating Lindelof's performances and equating the good work of others as his own. He's had some good form this year and that's credit to him but he is absolutely the weakest link in our defence.

Any moment in a game it becomes stretched or calls for some strong individual defending or passing, he will pick a deferring tactic e.g stall on the opposition player, making little engagement to wait for team mates or when pressed keep squaring it to everyone else.
Excellent point and one that I’ve noticed too.
AWB often covers Lindelof’s man when a cross is coming in from our left hand side, to the detriment of leaving his own man open, and AWB will be the one to attempt to head the ball away too. It happens almost every game that it must be a coaching decision.

Defenders need to be dominant & assertive, they don’t need to be Vidic in terms of aggression but they need to be confident in their decision making. Every other player in our first XI backline is.
Lindelof isn’t. Bailly is too confident.

It’s not good enough for the level we want to be.

A-man

It happens in EVERY game passing sideways when pressed. I know because it drives me mad every game

him, Bailly and Jones just aren’t good enough to be starters at this great club.

neither is Fred but that’s for another thread
I really don’t agree as Maguire -Lindelof have looked very good this season. Maguire looked awful with Bailly recently as well. What we need is really a third semi-senior CB. Doesn’t need to world class but someone reliable who knows the basics.

I watch a lot of football and wouldn’t say we pass more sideways than other clubs. If that’s your impression, can’t argue with that however statistically, Maguire and Lindelof pass exactly the same amount of side way passes and same amount of backward passes. Lindelof passes slightly more forward passes on the ground and Maguire more in the air.

I would say it is very difficult to pass through the centre when we have midfielders who lose possession as often as Fred and McTominay. If they fail there is a goals scoring opportunity. Yesterday Lindelof made a fairly easy pass to Fred who screw up and it cost us.

Bobski

Lindelof doesn't make many blatant errors, but that in part comes from his very cautious style. Very typical that after conceding 4, could have been 6/7, that we get the no mistakes line, doesn't stop much.

Conor

Lindelof doesn't make many blatant errors, but that in part comes from his very cautious style. Very typical that after conceding 4, could have been 6/7, that we get the no mistakes line, doesn't stop much.
What? Most of his errors literally lead to goals, he is normally solid for the majority of a match, only to do something stupid that ends up with the other team scoring.

Ekeke

What? Most of his errors literally lead to goals, he is normally solid for the majority of a match, only to do something stupid that ends up with the other team scoring.
In current form and recent matches correct, but until the last 5-6 matches when we had a good defensive record he tended not to make that many individual errors but mostly because he rarely took on any individual defending unless he was a heavy favourite to get to the ball before the attacker.

Avoiding the situations was still not good defending but it meant he wasnt pointed at as directly responsible because usually someone else is making the challenges or attempting the duel and if they fail, they get pointed at

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

We conceded 3 vs Roma not because Maguire-Bailly but because Telles & Williams. We had Shaw & Bissaka not Telles & Williams vs Liverpool mate. Yesterday game just prove what Maguire brings into table and his ball playing ability just so much better than Lindelof.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lindelof doesn't make many blatant errors,
:lol: this is a massive lie

He had 1 last night where our "ball playing" centre back passed it directly to Salah about 10 yards infront of goal, that Bailly JUST about cut out and got away with no penalty.

We had the Villa mistake 2 matches before. He actually makes plenty of mistakes but usually the team get him out of trouble.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Dominating performance brushing the hair out of eyes, usual loads of pointing and the odd suicidal ball to a fellow defender when he's not trying to find where the ball is or looking like a scared rabbit when someone comes near him.
:lol:

My favourite thing about him is when he makes some random block that goes out for corner or does some decent piece of defending, he is all cocky like he has just saved the world Bruce Willis style. His attitude after the camera shows him is priceless, especially when you watch him every week and know how scared of the forwards he usually is.

Should be nothing more than a squad player, mostly because he can stay fit. That itself is very important when it comes to being Manchester United defender tbf.

golden_blunder

Staff
:lol: this is a massive lie

He had 1 last night where our "ball playing" centre back passed it directly to Salah about 10 yards infront of goal, that Bailly JUST about cut out and got away with no penalty.

We had the Villa mistake 2 matches before. He actually makes plenty of mistakes but usually the team get him out of trouble.
This is how I see it but apparently unless it results in a goal for some people he “played ok and didn’t cause any goals” it’s acceptable. For me that standard is not acceptable because you’re hiding, not accepting your part in goals or chances and because we expect better. I saw Lindelof from early on hiding in the Swedish team with a big clogger beside him to head everything away and the same happens here. Only maguire is much better than Swedish clogger who’s name i can’t remember.
Lindelof is a squad player who has survived as a first team pick due to fitness issues and us spending our limited money elsewhere. However I see nothing about him that suggests he should be a first pick at United.

Ekeke

:lol:

My favourite thing about him is when he makes some random block that goes out for corner or does some decent piece of defending, he is all cocky like he has just saved the world Bruce Willis style. His attitude after the camera shows him is priceless, especially when you watch him every week and know how scared of the forwards he usually is.

Should be nothing more than a squad player, mostly because he can stay fit. That itself is very important when it comes to being Manchester United defender tbf.
Its probably because he doesnt enjoy defending, so he's mad that he finally felt the need to do some. Someone must have messed up in his mind

Anders80

Meh. It wasn't his greatest game for sure but in no way do I blame him for the loss or the conceded goals. Let's also not forget that he played in an off-position too, and he wasn't to blame for the goals. Bailly was all over the place though. I remember this moment where Lindelöf defended on the left, then had to run to attempt to block a shot on the right, while Bailly stood in the middle like a lost sheep.

It didn't help that nobody could pass the ball the whole game either.

And for everyone complaining about Lindelöf always staying so far back, saying it's his own choice of playing instead of it being coached, clearly now that Bailly had Lindelöf's position, he did the very same positional play, so obviously it's coached that way.

Yeah anyway, it wasn't one of his better games for sure, but blaming him for the loss is not right.

Bobski

This is how I see it but apparently unless it results in a goal for some people he “played ok and didn’t cause any goals” it’s acceptable. For me that standard is not acceptable because you’re hiding, not accepting your part in goals or chances and because we expect better. I saw Lindelof from early on hiding in the Swedish team with a big clogger beside him to head everything away and the same happens here. Only maguire is much better than Swedish clogger who’s name i can’t remember.
Lindelof is a squad player who has survived as a first team pick due to fitness issues and us spending our limited money elsewhere. However I see nothing about him that suggests he should be a first pick at United.
Granqvist wasn't it? Someone who does the bulk of the visible physical defending while Lindelof covers space.

Ekeke

Meh. It wasn't his greatest game for sure but in no way do I blame him for the loss or the conceded goals. Let's also not forget that he played in an off-position too, and he wasn't to blame for the goals. Bailly was all over the place though. I remember this moment where Lindelöf defended on the left, then had to run to attempt to block a shot on the right, while Bailly stood in the middle like a lost sheep.

And for everyone complaining about Lindelöf always staying so far back, saying it's his own choice of playing instead of it being coached, clearly now that Bailly had Lindelöf's position, he did the very same positional play, so obviously it's coached that way.

Yeah anyway, it wasn't one of his better games for sure, but blaming him for the loss is not right.
He spent years playing LCB

A-man

I don’t think his position has anything to do with it. It’s more that to his left Shaw had his worst game in a long time, to his right Bailly had a positional disaster game and in front of him Fred and McT were horrible. The only one who had a good game was AWB. All this “he needs others to defend for him” is really coming out of ignorance, from the same people who claimed Bailly was our best defender.

On top of that the whole team seem to have switched off now when all matches are pointless. We saw the same with Liverpool last season.

SATA

For all the talk of his ball playing ability, he really panics whenever someone comes near him and closes him down. He'll then play a mispass or something or kick it out of play

A-man

For all the talk of his ball playing ability, he really panics whenever someone comes near him and closes him down. He'll then play a mispass or something or kick it out of play
I don’t think he misplaces many passes, especially not those on the ground.

United passing stats for PL this season:

Accurate passes per match:
1. Lindelof 55.9
2. Maguire 52.7
3. Fred 48.9

Inaccurate passes per match:
1. Bruno 10.1
2. Pogba 7.1
3. AWB 6.7
4. Shaw 6.6
5. Fred 5.7
6. Maguire 5.5
10. Lindelof 3.8

Long balls excluded

golden_blunder

Staff
I don’t think he misplaces many passes, especially not those on the ground.

United passing stats for PL this season:

Accurate passes per match:
1. Lindelof 55.9
2. Maguire 52.7
3. Fred 48.9

Inaccurate passes per match:
1. Bruno 10.1
2. Pogba 7.1
3. AWB 6.7
4. Shaw 6.6
5. Fred 5.7
6. Maguire 5.5
10. Lindelof 3.8

Long balls excluded
I don’t need stats to tell me that they are hiding the fact that he turns and passes back or passes sideways when pressed. Not in a calm way either.
We ordered an iceman and got an ice cream that melts in your freezer

Siviz

Supports
Swansea
Doesn't seem to have any confidence. If Bailly managed to hand off some of his aggressiveness to this guy and Lindelöf did likewise with some of his brains to Bailly, maybe we could get a half-way decent footballer inbetween them.

A-man

I don’t need stats to tell me that they are hiding the fact that he turns and passes back or passes sideways when pressed. Not in a calm way either.
We ordered an iceman and got an ice cream that melts in your freezer
We all fully understand that you don’t need that. Especially since the facts contradict what you believed you saw.
(It is impossible that he misplace every pass as soon as he gets pressed, considering he has so few misplaced passes)

Status
Not open for further replies.