Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

Based on the matches played so far, Lindelof has been clearly better. That goes for both PL and CL. And I’m not saying Lindelof has been great, it’s more that Maguire has been pretty poor. But as I wrote, it seems as Maguire is getting back to his normal standard again.
Based on the matches so far I still find it hard to describe Lindelof as better despite Maguire being atrocious in some matches. He still found his way in being our best CB so far imo. I think that Spurs game clouds people judgement with Maguire being part of that cluster feck while Victor having being fortunate to not play. Despite that, and Maguire absolutely being shit in that one, and in couple of other matches Lindelof had his fair shair of bad performances, of course he had some very very good ones as well. I just hope they build on and form a good partnership since obviously they are our best bet of having a constant fit CB combo, Tuanzebe and especially Bailly can't be relied upon.

EDIT: And I just read about his back being hurt, feck sake.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
His ability on the ball is quite underated. His passing completion is very high, but he is also the most progressive passer (362 yards per 90 min) in the squad this season. You would probably expect it to be a fullback (due to space), but he edges it to Shaw (350 yards). Bruno deserves a mention too, as his numbers is impressive considering how he up the pitch he plays (359 yards). That being said, Lindelof completion rate is 91,6 % while Shaw is at 80,3 %.

In terms of progressive carries Lindelof progress the ball 177 yards. Shaw is the only player in the squad that makes more progressive carries per 90 min (188). The difference is less than you would expect considering Shaw is a fullback.

Obviously you would expect that the defenders are quite progressive considering how deep they sit. Among our defenders, Lindelof has been the best player in the build up play. He is able to both retain and progress the ball well. That makes him very valuable for us. Especially since Wan-Bissaka struggle so much in our buildup, and is a target for teams that press high up the pitch.

A-man

Did you really just blame Maguire for the goals at Istanbul? Wow. Now go on...try and tell me you don't have an agenda against him after statements like that. He had nothing to do with either goal. One was a corner where he was forward (Matic, Shaw, AWB should be covering) and the other was a Bruno/Mata screw up. Are you going to blame him for trying to stop Ba (who dummied)? If so, then the agenda is really strong with you...such a shame
I blame him and all the players for that poor performance. Look, you think Maguire’s performance so far this season represents how good he is as a player. I think he is much better. Fine. But don’t give me that crap about an agenda when it is clearly you who think he has been playing at his level and I believe he is better.

A-man

Based on the matches so far I still find it hard to describe Lindelof as better despite Maguire being atrocious in some matches. He still found his way in being our best CB so far imo. I think that Spurs game clouds people judgement with Maguire being part of that cluster feck while Victor having being fortunate to not play. Despite that, and Maguire absolutely being shit in that one, and in couple of other matches Lindelof had his fair shair of bad performances, of course he had some very very good ones as well. I just hope they build on and form a good partnership since obviously they are our best bet of having a constant fit CB combo, Tuanzebe and especially Bailly can't be relied upon.

EDIT: And I just read about his back being hurt, feck sake.
I think the defence had been more organised and functioning when Lindelof has played compared to when he has not played. Maguire doesn’t bring that to the table, but he offers other things. Overall I think he is the best CB at the club, but has been poor at the start of this season. It’s a shame Lindelof is injured because that duo is clearly the best we have.

Kostov

I think the defence had been more organised and functioning when Lindelof has played compared to when he has not played. Maguire doesn’t bring that to the table, but he offers other things. Overall I think he is the best CB at the club, but has been poor at the start of this season. It’s a shame Lindelof is injured because that duo is clearly the best we have.
Yes it seems that Lindelof is vocal and tries to organize things, but I think Maguire also tries to do the same, but both are not always successful, the bigger problem being that one of them is captain.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I blame him and all the players for that poor performance. Look, you think Maguire’s performance so far this season represents how good he is as a player. I think he is much better. Fine. But don’t give me that crap about an agenda when it is clearly you who think he has been playing at his level and I believe he is better.
Hold your horses there big fella. No where in my statements did I say that his play this year represents how good he is as a player. We started slow. The whole team did. What I said is that he has been our best defender and to cut out the agendas against him as he gets wrongly scapegoated too many times. You proved that to be true when you blamed him for Istanbul where the two goals against had nothing to do with him.

And I orignally replied because someone said that "according to the stats" Lindelof has been better. I replied and proved that wasn't wrong. You see, it's one thing to say that the stats say Lindelof has been better. It's another thing to prove it because that just isn't true...

A-man

Hold your horses there big fella. No where in my statements did I say that his play this year represents how good he is as a player. We started slow. The whole team did. What I said is that he has been our best defender and to cut out the agendas against him as he gets wrongly scapegoated too many times. You proved that to be true when you blamed him for Istanbul where the two goals against had nothing to do with him.

And I orignally replied because someone said that "according to the stats" Lindelof has been better. I replied and proved that wasn't wrong. You see, it's one thing to say that the stats say Lindelof has been better. It's another thing to prove it because that just isn't true...
If you believe Maguire was good against Istanbul, then I can understand you think he has been the best defender this season. I have think much higher of him than that, so again don’t give that agenda crap when I clearly believe he is a better player than you do.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This might bite me on the backside in the future, but he starts to win me over. He always gives 100%, more consistent, and now starts to be more aggressive.

The United

He is a good footballer except he is a bit weak in dueling on the ground or in the air. Which makes him a poor CB sometimes in league like EPL.

A-man

The whole defence was solid but not tested that much. Think he very good with ball, especially in the first half, and trying his best to build up the attack. I like his long through balls to Martial, hopefully they can result in a goal in a near future. But those balls are also important to break down the press.

Devil may care

He was decent, it's a shame that it's 99% certain that he'll be the one benched when we get a new CB.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If you believe Maguire was good against Istanbul, then I can understand you think he has been the best defender this season. I have think much higher of him than that, so again don’t give that agenda crap when I clearly believe he is a better player than you do.
When you resort to putting words in my mouth it only confirms how right I really am. I never said that Maguire was good against Istanbul. In fact, I never commented at all on his performance that night. What I said is that the goals weren't his fault. But for some reason you seem to think that they were, which exposes your agenda...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Am I the only one who enjoys when he drives forward with the ball? Something good almost always develops out of it even if it hasn't resulted in a goal yet.

spiriticon

Am I the only one who enjoys when he drives forward with the ball? Something good almost always develops out of it even if it hasn't resulted in a goal yet.
I do. I love a marauding run by a CB.

Unfortunately I also shit myself when I see him defending corners and free kicks. I can't handle the stress.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's so good at defending anything down the channel
Probably better than Vidic in this area. Much stronger in the body department. Might be his strongest attributes defending down the channel. Especially 1vs1 against a quick player or a strong big guy. Always gets to the ball first, always wins it quick and aggressively and makes sure very few attacks can be built out of nothing.

Kamprad

He's so good at defending anything down the channel
Probably better than Vidic in this area. Much stronger in the body department. Might be his strongest attributes defending down the channel. Especially 1vs1 against a quick player or a strong big guy. Always gets to the ball first, always wins it quick and aggressively and makes sure very few attacks can be built out of nothing.
:lol:

A-man

When you resort to putting words in my mouth it only confirms how right I really am. I never said that Maguire was good against Istanbul. In fact, I never commented at all on his performance that night. What I said is that the goals weren't his fault. But for some reason you seem to think that they were, which exposes your agenda...
First of all, I wrote “ And yes Spurs was a shite show but Maguire was part of that. He was also part of the fiasco vs Istanbul. ” and you didn’t agree.
I have written several times that I think he is one of the best CBs in the PL, how can I have an agenda day against him just because I, together with many others, think Lindelof has been better so far this season? It’s ridiculous.

(Besides, I do think he was partly responsible for the second goal but so never wrote that.)

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
First of all, I wrote “ And yes Spurs was a shite show but Maguire was part of that. He was also part of the fiasco vs Istanbul. ” and you didn’t agree.
I have written several times that I think he is one of the best CBs in the PL, how can I have an agenda day against him just because I, together with many others, think Lindelof has been better so far this season? It’s ridiculous.

(Besides, I do think he was partly responsible for the second goal but so never wrote that.)
He played vs Istanbul, but wasn't part of "the fiasco". If you blame him for either of those goals it just proves your agenda against him...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Really?
We could play anyone there today, shit team and he did ok against no attacking threat.

Imagine being so full of hate for no good reason.

He’s been solid all season relative to any CB in the PL. He consistently directs attacks into easier to defend areas or delays the opponents too. He did that again today. You can’t criticise him for having a good game regardless of your views of the opposition.

arthurka

Imagine being so full of hate for no good reason.

He’s been solid all season relative to any CB in the PL. He consistently directs attacks into easier to defend areas or delays the opponents too. He did that again today. You can’t criticise him for having a good game regardless of your views of the opposition.
Didn't think he had a good game DDG was the only player I think had a good game. He hasn't been solid by any stretch. It shows just how far we have fallen if his performances are solid.

A-man

He played vs Istanbul, but wasn't part of "the fiasco". If you blame him for either of those goals it just proves your agenda against him...
Again, it depends on what you think you can expect from Maguire and what level you believe he is at. I expect much more and think Maguire and think he is a much better player than he showed. Actually I thought he was very poor against Istanbul. If you call that having an agenda fine by me.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Again, it depends on what you think you can expect from Maguire and what level you believe he is at. I expect much more and think Maguire and think he is a much better player than he showed. Actually I thought he was very poor against Istanbul. If you call that having an agenda fine by me.
So Istanbul had a total of 3 shots on goal with 2 of them leading to goals that weren't Maguire's fault, yet he had a poor game and you don't have an agenda against him. Are you Mark Goldbridge in disguise? That tool gave Maguire a 5/10 for the game yesterday in which we kept a clean sheet and kept West Brom to to only 2 shots on target. Yet another with an agenda...

A-man

So Istanbul had a total of 3 shots on goal with 2 of them leading to goals that weren't Maguire's fault, yet he had a poor game and you don't have an agenda against him. Are you Mark Goldbridge in disguise? That tool gave Maguire a 5/10 for the game yesterday in which we kept a clean sheet and kept West Brom to to only 2 shots on target. Yet another with an agenda...
To be honest, you seem to be the only one who think Maguire is so poor that Istanbul I was according to his standard level. The rest of us think he was poor and expect much more from him. I’m leaving this discussion now.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
To be honest, you seem to be the only one who think Maguire is so poor that Istanbul I was according to his standard level. The rest of us think he was poor and expect much more from him. I’m leaving this discussion now.
So they had 3 shots on goal all night, two of which they scored and weren't his fault, yet he was poor. Go on...tell us again how you don't have an agenda

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Holds his position perfectly and covers Maguire also. As i always say; our best defender.
And he is more vocal than Maguire. He should be a captain before Maguire

Godfather

He did many things well yesterday but one of West Brom's biggest chances again came after he lost out against his striker in the middle of the park. He needs to learn to either get the ball or the man in these type of situations

A-man

So they had 3 shots on goal all night, two of which they scored and weren't his fault, yet he was poor. Go on...tell us again how you don't have an agenda
I’m not alone thinking he had a poor game:

Red cafe rating: 3.6/10

Manchester Evening news 3/10
Claimed United have a 'lot of leaders' but they were rudderless. Maguire went rogue in what was a borderline dereliction of duty.

Sky sports 4/10
Maguire's leadership skills were absent as a disorganised United defence were caught several times in the first half. Saw a lot of the ball in a quarter-back role, with Istanbul sat deep, but struggled to get things going from defence.

Express 5/10
Questibale for the second goal, letting the ball run across the box for Edin Visca to slam home.

Stretty news 3/10
Woeful first-half, a shadow of the player he can be.

Man United core 4/10
For one more time, the Manchester United captain disappointed, as he failed to organize his defence. The Englishman just seems incapable of commanding his line and should have dealt with the cross that led to the second goal.

High press soccer4.5/10
Maguire’s not being too comfortable with Tuanzebe’s struggles in dealing with Ba. Made a key interception in the 35th to deny the hosts a possible second. But undid that good work by getting outwitted in embarrassing fashion by Ba leading to Visca’s strike. Did some decent cover-up defending in the second, but his big mistake earlier on ultimately cost United points.

Old Trafford faithful 3/10
Didn’t really command the team and bark orders at players who were struggling. You need more from your captain.

The Sun 5/10
Roy Keane blasted United's lack of leadership but Maguire fired back in his pre-match press conference.
But after talking the talk, he did not walk the walk as the captain watched on helplessly with United falling behind then beaten all ends up by Ba's dummy.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I’m not alone thinking he had a poor game:

Red cafe rating: 3.6/10

Manchester Evening news 3/10
Claimed United have a 'lot of leaders' but they were rudderless. Maguire went rogue in what was a borderline dereliction of duty.

Sky sports 4/10
Maguire's leadership skills were absent as a disorganised United defence were caught several times in the first half. Saw a lot of the ball in a quarter-back role, with Istanbul sat deep, but struggled to get things going from defence.

Express 5/10
Questibale for the second goal, letting the ball run across the box for Edin Visca to slam home.

Stretty news 3/10
Woeful first-half, a shadow of the player he can be.

Man United core 4/10
For one more time, the Manchester United captain disappointed, as he failed to organize his defence. The Englishman just seems incapable of commanding his line and should have dealt with the cross that led to the second goal.

High press soccer4.5/10
Maguire’s not being too comfortable with Tuanzebe’s struggles in dealing with Ba. Made a key interception in the 35th to deny the hosts a possible second. But undid that good work by getting outwitted in embarrassing fashion by Ba leading to Visca’s strike. Did some decent cover-up defending in the second, but his big mistake earlier on ultimately cost United points.

Old Trafford faithful 3/10
Didn’t really command the team and bark orders at players who were struggling. You need more from your captain.

The Sun 5/10
Roy Keane blasted United's lack of leadership but Maguire fired back in his pre-match press conference.
But after talking the talk, he did not walk the walk as the captain watched on helplessly with United falling behind then beaten all ends up by Ba's dummy.
You're not helping the argument that there isn't an agenda going on. Every single one of these are wrong. He had poor games at the beginning of the year while everyone wasn't match fit, and that was highlighted with the Tottenham match. These are all agendas against him to blame him for either goal. The first was on Shaw and AWB. Those are the players who cover during corner kicks. They were nowhere to be found. The second was Bruno/Mata. I am reading in your post that Maguire should have dealt with the cross??? Bull. Ba dummied it. He has to try to get goal side of the attacker. If Ba is one of our players and we score that goal we would be on about how great that dummy was, not how their defender should have dealt with it. Enough with the agenda. I have no problem singling out players who are at fault. But pick the right players. Absolute bull sh*t...

A-man

One thing I like with Lindelof is that he always makes himself available for a pass. When he can see that Maguire/ DDG/whoever is about to get the ball he instantly move to a good position to receive a pass. Small thing maybe but this is what I lack in the midfield.

Ekeke

One thing I like with Lindelof is that he always makes himself available for a pass. When he can see that Maguire/ DDG/whoever is about to get the ball he instantly move to a good position to receive a pass. Small thing maybe but this is what I lack in the midfield.
It might be, but its also much harder in midfield without dropping super deep where you want your defenders. This is what one of our DMs tends to do anyway particularly Matic dropping extremely deep to get on the ball a lot and it does work, he's often on the ball a lot. But its also something posters have complained about for years and getting "ball playing CBs" was apparently going to stop us needing someone to drop back to pick up the ball easily.

A-man

It might be, but its also much harder in midfield without dropping super deep where you want your defenders. This is what one of our DMs tends to do anyway particularly Matic dropping extremely deep to get on the ball a lot and it does work, he's often on the ball a lot. But its also something posters have complained about for years and getting "ball playing CBs" was apparently going to stop us needing someone to drop back to pick up the ball easily.
It’s harder in the midfield but I feel we are worse than many other teams at our level.
Matic drops often. Sometimes to help the CBs for example if Lindelof one of them has moved forward. Then he drops deep to collect the ball. This is often totally unnecessary imo, as it doesn’t add anything. Better he makes himself available me for a pass higher up. There have even been times when he’s in the way of a CB going forward.

Ekeke

It’s harder in the midfield but I feel we are worse than many other teams at our level.
Matic drops often. Sometimes to help the CBs for example if Lindelof one of them has moved forward. Then he drops deep to collect the ball. This is often totally unnecessary imo, as it doesn’t add anything. Better he makes himself available me for a pass higher up. There have even been times when he’s in the way of a CB going forward.
That may be true in practice at least how we currently play, but I do think there is a point to a midfielder dropping deep even if we dont currently take advantage of it.

The dropping DM get someone's attention and hopefully they go with him and the CB on the ball can fake the pass then run into the space with the ball bringing it out of defense, effectively moving into the DM position themselves. Essentially the same thing as passing the ball to a DM in front of them that has a bit of time on the ball and the ability to look forward. But then the CB needs to pick out a pass like a DM, both Lindelof and Maguire should be capable of that

A-man

That may be true in practice at least how we currently play, but I do think there is a point to a midfielder dropping deep even if we dont currently take advantage of it.

The dropping DM get someone's attention and hopefully they go with him and the CB on the ball can fake the pass then run into the space with the ball bringing it out of defense, effectively moving into the DM position themselves. Essentially the same thing as passing the ball to a DM in front of them that has a bit of time on the ball and the ability to look forward. But then the CB needs to pick out a pass like a DM, both Lindelof and Maguire should be capable of that
Yes that could be a good point for him to drop deep, but a pass to the DM should only be one option. Now it’s like he always gets the ball. And I still don’t think he needs to drop so deep just to collect the ball, as that pulls back the whole team.

Grande

It seems to me he is the only CB this year who manages to keep a defence organized. With him at the back, Tianzebe was safe as a rock, Tuanzebe and Maguire there are just aa whole lot of misunderatandings, and many of them seem to stem from Maguire. To bad it’s Lindelöf who’s got a sore back.

Status
Not open for further replies.