Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Web of Bissaka

Did his job well wether it was Neymar or Mbappe squaring up to him. How many would have expected that in the Mourinho days?
Didn't he did well too before?
I recall one vs Auba, and was it against Aguero and Vardy too? I think it's also when we faced Liverpool's attacks once and Spurs when they're in shit form.

Ah bad memories.
Point is, sometimes he'll defend well, and sometimes top attackers have their off days. Mbappe is having another off day this time.
Also can't forget he got good protection again this time from McT+Fred.

A-man

I'm thinking of that one specific time. So one time and it could have been costly but they had help from AWB. That is why hes playing though
I’m not sure what specific time you’re referring to? But yes, AWB is playing as a part of the defence.

Anyway, one time that could have been costly is pretty good, most defences struggle much more than that with Mbappé’s and Neymar’s speed. Marquinhos and Kimpembe had much more problems with our speed than we had with theirs.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
In what way?
Lindelof's positioning and reading of the game in front of him is based around attacking the ball and leaving his position to defend on the front foot. Maguire is fecking glacial and basically defends like he doesn't trust Lindelof and has to do everything that he can't. He needs to be in positions where everyone gets out of his way and he defends one on one a smart-type defensive helper that knows how to play off him and I don't think they have or will develop that chemistry. Lindelof definitely isn't that, he almost plays like a "should I be here boss?" type of a defender when playing back towards our own goal and in situations where Maguire has to be the defensive anchor. I think Lindelof as an individual is an okay defender, but pairing him with Maguire who needs really to be an anchor CB face up reading the play is a total disaster basically waiting for attackers smart enough to exploit it. Then there is putting Teles who is an attacking fullback and AWB who's positioning and awareness I also atrocious makes the combination even worse (less their fault obviously).

They don't complement each other at all imo.

kiristao

Thought he had a good game. Even the few times he got caught in a 1v1 vs Neymar or Mbappe he came out on top.

MattofManchester

He was very solid, amid a back problem, but why are people acting like it's the first time? He's pretty much always been solid in Europe, because it suits him.

Now that he's improving his physicality, I think once his issues go away, he's going to be a very good defender.

Grande

Didn't he did well too before?
I recall one vs Auba, and was it against Aguero and Vardy too? I think it's also when we faced Liverpool's attacks once and Spurs when they're in shit form.

Ah bad memories.
Point is, sometimes he'll defend well, and sometimes top attackers have their off days. Mbappe is having another off day this time.
Also can't forget he got good protection again this time from McT+Fred.
You may be right about those good matches. I remembered most clearly how he was a deer in the headlights for most of the first season, and then slowly grew into it. This season he’s been our most steady defender in my view, including keepers.

West Ham 1:3 Man Utd

M Bison

Supports
York City
Surely a good sign no one has commented....thought he did well in the main, like the rest of the team wasnt at his best for the first hour but i think he's been consistent this season and is a solid part of the defence.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Surely a good sign no one has commented....thought he did well in the main, like the rest of the team wasnt at his best for the first hour but i think he's been consistent this season and is a solid part of the defence.
Yep! He was brilliant today I thought, even came out and nicked it from strikers occasionally.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This season he's been really good. And that's playing with backpain. I'm a convert on him.

Zlatans Knee

Because I am based in Sweden I have really tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has done okay this season but not more than that. Whilst he is not really making any howlers anymore, he is also not really the ball playing centerhalf that we hoped for. When you add that to the fact that he is not much help in defending set pieces and zero help in scoring from set pieces, the end result is that we need an upgrade at some point. I still think that Tuanzebe has a chance to take that spot.

Reactions: golden_blunder

RedIan

I though he had a great game today.. solid defending, good on the ball. He has improved of late imo.

Became an aerial monster today, somehow. 5 contested aerial duels won - 2 of them in real vital areas against Soucek and Haller.

simmee

Felt sorry for him when he was trying to teach Wan-Bissaka positioning during a corner. Must be the same feeling as trying to coach 6-year olds.

Caesar2290

This season he's been really good. And that's playing with backpain. I'm a convert on him.
Might be on the reasons he is so good. The pain can keep you alert at times.
Felt sorry for him when he was trying to teach Wan-Bissaka positioning during a corner. Must be the same feeling as trying to coach 6-year olds.
They have an interesting dynamic. Whenever I look at them it feels like a teacher-disciple relationship. Lindelof gives him a good bollocking every now and then, but I think deep down he has a soft spot for AWB.

432JuanMata

Maguire has got awful stick this season and has improved recently but I’m still in the Lindelof plus one if we sign a pacey CB. He does make certain mistakes but these days with Penos given for every foul etc it’s harder to defend these days. The media will say Maguire needs someone because he is 80m captain and English but I feel Lindelof is ahead of him.

432JuanMata

This AWB is a great defender due to his pace and amazing tackling but his position is awful and Victor is always trying to cover for him or shouting at him :lol:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Very solid now. Easy the best player in your back line.

Mindhunter

Him and Maguire are quietly building up a stable partnership. No one calls them out but I think they have been excellent for the last few games. May this continue.

criticalanalysis

Because I am based in Sweden I have really tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has done okay this season but not more than that. Whilst he is not really making any howlers anymore, he is also not really the ball playing centerhalf that we hoped for. When you add that to the fact that he is not much help in defending set pieces and zero help in scoring from set pieces, the end result is that we need an upgrade at some point. I still think that Tuanzebe has a chance to take that spot.
Yeah same. I'm not his fan at all but I've come round to 'accepting' he'll give consistent 6/10 performances whilst having other tangible qualities like organisation, positioning and some composure but he's still too passive for me.

He closes players down but makes little attempt to affect the ball. He'll offer himself as a passing option but will regularly defer back to Maguire, the keeper or worse to AWB.

Perhaps his back injury is affecting him massively but stylistically we need something else. People bang on about Maguire being slow but he's aggressive in his closing down to an almost suicidal fault. Hence why Lindelof does 'well' to sit but all in all, it just means we're playing safe with a low defensive line and little ball playing ability.

AWB and Shaw don't help as they always check their run/body positioning when pressed a little so we end up deferring across the back line until either our midfielders pick up the ball deep in our half or it gets hoofed. Rinse repeat. Far too reactive and Lindelof is a symptom of it.

A-man

First half was ok but I think he should have contributed more to the attack when we got stuck. Maguire did that well imo. Second half I think he was very good with some important headers and clearances. Could also see how he tried to organise the defence at some occasions.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
AWB and Shaw don't help as they always check their run/body positioning when pressed a little so we end up deferring across the back line until either our midfielders pick up the ball deep in our half or it gets hoofed. Rinse repeat. Far too reactive and Lindelof is a symptom of it.
Yes. It didn't last long, but I felt we had a different vibe about us when playing with Tuanzebe. Would be interesting to have more of an expressive player to displace Lindelof who is very safe.

That being said, I think he has been decent lately with a few good headers and clever passes. He doesn't seem to ponder that much on the ball anymore and has stopped waving his arms around like a desperate lunatic.

A-man

After watching Bayern vs Leipzig today, I feel we have a good defence. The mistakes those defenders made, Lindelof and Maguire would be slaughtered for half of it.

A-man

Yes. It didn't last long, but I felt we had a different vibe about us when playing with Tuanzebe. Would be interesting to have more of an expressive player to displace Lindelof who is very safe.

That being said, I think he has been decent lately with a few good headers and clever passes. He doesn't seem to ponder that much on the ball anymore and has stopped waving his arms around like a desperate lunatic.
The only match where Tuanzebe played well was with Lindelof. He has played two half’s with Maguire, however I don’t really get what vibes you’re talking about from those matches? But he didn’t play safe if that’s what we’re looking for.

Raven

I've been saying it for ages but Lindelof is our best CB in my opinion. The header he won against Haller yesterday made me look twice, yer man has about 4 or 5 inches on Victor yet he never looked like losing the header.

Last edited:

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Glad he’s shutting his detractors up. I’ve seen this cycle too many times however. After a slow start next season, it’s inevitably going to be “to weak, not enough” “ I don’t see what he offers” “spineless coward”etc

dronesoul

Became an aerial monster today, somehow.
I don’t get this myth that he’s terrible in the air. He’s had plenty of games with a 100% winning rate at headers, vs big powerful forwards too. He’s often making smart heading clearances. He’s good at heading or passing enemy crosses straight to team mates feet. He doesn’t just clear them. I see this all the time in always every game.

His skill at heading “clearance headers” straight to team mates’ feet is a very important skill, especially for our lethal counter attacks.

A) It makes it a lot harder for the opposing team to maintain built up pressure, giving our defenders more breaks.

B) It gives the whole team more counter attacking opportunities. Very important for our team.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The only match where Tuanzebe played well was with Lindelof. He has played two half’s with Maguire, however I don’t really get what vibes you’re talking about from those matches? But he didn’t play safe if that’s what we’re looking for.
No you're completely right, I was actually thinking of that game but Lindelof played on the left that game, right? So I guess my point still stand.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He’s not ever single handedly won us a game but he’s consistently sniffing out danger and stopping us losing which is exactly what we need. He’s not the best CB in the world but definitely one of the best in the PL at delaying attacks and guiding them away from danger areas.

Albin Johansson

Imagine watching first half yesterday and argue that VNL is the problem that should be adressed.

A-man

No you're completely right, I was actually thinking of that game but Lindelof played on the left that game, right? So I guess my point still stand.
This season, Lindelof and Tuanzebe played together in a 3 at the back formation against PSG. I think that’s the only time. They have played very little together and it might improve with game time, but Tuanzebe and Maguire didn’t look so good imo. Nobody covered and we were vulnerable for counters, plus there was no cooperation between them.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This season, Lindelof and Tuanzebe played together in a 3 at the back formation against PSG. I think that’s the only time. They have played very little together and it might improve with game time, but Tuanzebe and Maguire didn’t look so good imo. Nobody covered and we were vulnerable for counters, plus there was no cooperation between them.
Yeah, to be fair in that game both Shaw and Tuanzebe had the pace, strength and composure on the ball to play out from the back more efficiently. That wouldn't work without Lindelof or Maguire in the middle though, but point still stand. Different vibe with Tuanzebe, just because his profile is different. It shows us that different skills in that position could do a lot for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.