6/6 aerial duels won
2 tackles attempted
1 interception
3 clearances
11 recoveries

One man defence.
A back up dancer.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Remember when Barcelona reportedly wanted him? That would've been funny.
Given the purchases Barcelona made in recent years I can believe it!

In fairness to Lindelof I think he'd excel in La Liga. He's a decent footballer, he likes midfielders coming short to receive the ball from him, he likes to stand attackers up rather than have to get physical. In La Liga, in fact in most continental leagues, you can look great defending like that.

The problem for Lindelof is he plays in Engand, not Spain. Basically 15 of 20 Premier League teams will pump the ball into the channel and make you jump for it against a big lad. The aerial ball is a massive part of basically everyone's attack besides City's. All the things Lindelof is weak at are the things he needs to do best at in England.

Tonight we got what we expect from Lindelof. He will never, ever be suited to this league. I'll only start to believe otherwise if he comes back from summer break looking like he wants to join the cast of the Expendables.

A-man

We win and he gets again hated by this little group of trolls. Who need scousers?

Wasn’t amazing but didn’t make any mistakes and never any problem in his area, but most attacks came on the other side.

Devil may care

He looks weaker than ever in any one v one situation these days, i don't get his loyal team of attorneys that are in here after every game.

criticalanalysis

Apparently, if he forces him to cut back and someone else tackles them, it's fantastic defending.
Lindelof was done for pace and then it was fantastic covering by Fred.

It absolutely wasn't Lindelof's great defending there :confused: If Alimiron was smarter, he could have had a free kick as Lindelof was all over him.

This was almost exactly like the Bailly vs Isak situation. Except Bailly pretty much caught Isak in a foot race, whereas Lindelof was completely done.

Both ended in the same manner with their team mates helping out but you could tell how incredibly, uncomfortable Lindelof was trying to press at the half way line.

This was a game or a single incident to crucify him with but as other posters mentioned, this was a typical Lindelof game. Thoroughly unspectacular and not in a good way.

He got done 1 vs 1 on the byline too.

criticalanalysis

We win and he gets again hated by this little group of trolls. Who need scousers?

Wasn’t amazing but didn’t make any mistakes and never any problem in his area, but most attacks came on the other side.
The first bit is exactly the same thing people were saying in the Bailly thread in defence of his mistakes, which imo was justiably criticised. Except they used it to paint the picture that it's not something Lindelof would do

As for your second sentence, this is exactly what a bias looks like. He got done on the half way line, got bailed out by Fred's covering and then got done on the by line 1-vs-1 in the 2nd half. You'll just pretend those didn't happen or as long as it wasn't a noticeably bad error and will give him massive benefit of the doubt. Those two mistakes alone didn't mean he had a bad game because Maguire made more than a few too. However, Maguire offered 5 times more the output defensively, offensively on and off the ball. Lindelof did nothing of note and it's a pass from you. He's a passenger, the way we had Lingard in the team, who didn't make any mistakes or 'not doing too badly with his running' but offering nothing else whatsoever.

The 'group of trolls' that you refer to are always going be in a minority when compared to yourself. You have over 250+ posts in this thread, almost triple the next person! What does that make you?

You keep talking about using stats and try to be objective but surely you can see with logic why so many people have a problem with these nothing performances?

Tell me, what did you think of his half way line press? Exact scenario as the Bailly Isak 1-vs-1.

Last edited:

dabeast

He is:-
1. A bad header of the ball
2. Slow as molasses
3. Never challenges opponents but obediently runs behind them in the channel
4. Cowardly in challenges
5. Can't jump

Other than that he is a great CB. He, from the start of his career, has never been good enough for Man Utd, I have no idea why he is still at this club. He is blocking Tuanzebe's development, Ole should have moved him on 2 years ago.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Solid tonight. It’s so hard playing beside Harry though, Victor would look so good if he had a premier league standard CB playing with him week in week out.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Lindelof was done for pace and then it was fantastic covering by Fred.

It absolutely wasn't Lindelof's great defending there :confused: If Alimiron was smarter, he could have had a free kick as Lindelof was all over him.

This was almost exactly like the Bailly vs Isak situation. Except Bailly pretty much caught Isak in a foot race, whereas Lindelof was completely done.

Both ended in the same manner with their team mates helping out but you could tell how incredibly, uncomfortable Lindelof was trying to press at the half way line.

This was a game or a single incident to crucify him with but as other posters mentioned, this was a typical Lindelof game. Thoroughly unspectacular and not in a good way.

He got done 1 vs 1 on the byline too.
I don't think it's great defending. That's my point. But, to no surprise, the situations are viewed through different prisms.

Eh? If Lindelof wasn't pressuring him then he doesn't chop back to come inside; he'd be in on goal. Fred isn't ahead of Lindelof to make the tackle. He comes from behind.

Mcking

Feels like I've never seen him rise highest in the box to head away a corner, and that's damning for a supposed centre back. Genuinely think our forwards get them away more than he does.

Would be interesting to see how many times each of our players has got their head first to a corner kick. Maguire will most definitely be top, and I reckon Lindelof would be around the bottom.

A-man

The first bit is exactly the same thing people were saying in the Bailly thread in defence of his mistakes, which imo was justiably criticised. Except they used it to paint the picture that it's not something Lindelof would do

As for your second sentence, this is exactly what a bias looks like. He got done on the half way line, got bailed out by Fred's covering and then got done on the by line 1-vs-1 in the 2nd half. You'll just pretend those didn't happen or as long as it wasn't a noticeably bad error and will give him massive benefit of the doubt. Those two mistakes alone didn't mean he had a bad game because Maguire made more than a few too. However, Maguire offered 5 times more the output defensively, offensively on and off the ball. Lindelof did nothing of note and it's a pass from you. He's a passenger, the way we had Lingard in the team, who didn't make any mistakes or 'not doing too badly with his running' but offering nothing else whatsoever.

The 'group of trolls' that you refer to are always going be in a minority when compared to yourself. You have over 250+ posts in this thread, almost triple the next person! What does that make you?

You keep talking about using stats and try to be objective but surely you can see with logic why so many people have a problem with these nothing performances?

Tell me, what did you think of his half way line press? Exact scenario as the Bailly Isak 1-vs-1.
Most of my posts are answering posts like yours. It doesn’t really add anything for me. I do it more out of normal curtesy, but if my replies anyway disturbs you, I will quit replying to your posts, no problem.

criticalanalysis

I don't think it's great defending. That's my point. But, to no surprise, the situations are viewed through different prisms.

Eh? If Lindelof wasn't pressuring him then he doesn't chop back to come inside; he'd be in on goal. Fred isn't ahead of Lindelof to make the tackle. He comes from behind.
In that case yes we agree, both the Bailly and Lindelof situations were bad defending.

A rusty Bailly recovered better imo but that's a moot point. This was just another typical Lindelof game where Maguire almost single handedly carried the partnership in a game where there was little pressure from the opposition.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

He had a bunch of hopeful hoofs again, and when he didn't he contributed with unimaginative passes that kept us on the back foot for large parts of the game, despite having most possession and us winning in the end.

The Original

Feels like I've never seen him rise highest in the box to head away a corner, and that's damning for a supposed centre back. Genuinely think our forwards get them away more than he does.

Would be interesting to see how many times each of our players has got their head first to a corner kick. Maguire will most definitely be top, and I reckon Lindelof would be around the bottom.
Its perhaps a little comical but the best two headers after Maguire are midfielders in Pogba and Mctominay.

ivaldo

In that case yes we agree, both the Bailly and Lindelof situations were bad defending.

A rusty Bailly recovered better imo but that's a moot point.
This was just another typical Lindelof game where Maguire almost single handedly carried the partnership in a game where there was little pressure from the opposition.
And yet one is praised while the other is derided for virtually the same action. Go figure.

It's odd you think Bailly recovered better and Lindelof was left for dead when Lindelof ended up goal side of the attack while Bailly did not.

A-man

He had a bunch of hopeful hoofs again, and when he didn't he contributed with unimaginative passes that kept us on the back foot for large parts of the game, despite having most possession and us winning in the end.
He’s agree he had some hoofs. One or two had some good directions to Rashford and Martial, but some ended up way off and didn’t really see the purpose of trying. Maybe frustration that we couldn’t get our game to work? Overall I thought our passing at the back was good, especially second half.

arthurka

Glad people are coming to their senses, been saying this for a while now. Nothing player will try to give a goal away every single game or pull a vanishing act. Still don't see what he had over the crap that played before him. We need an upgrade on that SAAB asap.

Morpheus 7

He's the most negative player on the ball, loves to pass responsibility on to another player. Never takes the ball out and is safety first, passing back to de Gea constantly. I can't stand him, he slows the tempo down so bad, can't help the transition from the back to front. Him Maguire and Matic is far to slow as a spine. He's not fast enough for this league, if Bailly is fit he should be playing over this coward. I don't like going in on a player too much but Lindelof is soft, he looks actually scared on the ball.

And yet one is praised while the other is derided for virtually the same action. Go figure.

It's odd you think Bailly recovered better and Lindelof was left for dead when Lindelof ended up goal side of the attack while Bailly did not.
Vic was grabbing like hell in fairness, should really have been a free and a yellow.
Both nothing incidents though, thought Vic showed some decent pace there.

Lindelof against Newcastle

0 Duels attempted
0 Aerials duels attempted
0 tackles attempted
0 interceptions
3 clearances
3 recoveries
0 blocks

For Maguire

12 duels attempted
6/6 aerial duels won
2 tackles attempted
1 interception
3 clearances
11 recoveries
1 block

One man defence.
Can that be true? Silent domination?

criticalanalysis

Most of my posts are answering posts like yours. It doesn’t really add anything for me. I do it more out of normal curtesy, but if my replies anyway disturbs you, I will quit replying to your posts, no problem.
There are many different posters criticising Lindelof and yet you'll try to tarnish the valid points as 'trolling'. When you then offer your own completely 'unbias' opinion that there was nothing to criticise Lindelof on, you've already made the hill you want to die on. So yes, you will continue to find people who will call you out on your own hypocrisy and fanatical defence of a low level player.

I think you criticised Bailly in that 1-vs-1 against Isak. What about today's games against Almiron?

Your assessment of his game was that 'he didn't make mistakes'. Really man? :lol:

It's obviously just a bias view of things, which I just simply accept as everyone is not going to objectively see the same thing.

The difference though is how you take the good with the bad. Pogba is weak defensively but great at other things.

Therefore when people criticise Pogba on poor defending etc, you can bet there will be others 'ignoring' that and argue his place on the team for his ball playing ability.

Of course it's unjust but why are we even caring about being unjust for a player like Lindelof that brings extremely little to the table? If someone was to criticise Lingard for not being hard working during his barren spell with us the past 2 years, whytf would it be worth anybody's time to 'defend' that when the general point is that he's not good enough for us.

To put it simply, if Lindelof has Fred level of ability (I'm not even going to compare to people like Pogba) then I'd expect some defence of an off game from Lindelof and to me it's fair game. But Lindelof though, really?

Maguire put in 5 times the performance that Lindelof did tonight.

ivaldo

Vic was grabbing like hell in fairness, should really have been a free and a yellow.
Both nothing incidents though, thought Vic showed some decent pace there.
I'd have been happy to see a yellow there for an intentional foul there. Would like far more shithousery than we are currently seeing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

To be fair, Isak went straight down the centre of the pitch where as Lindelof let almiron run around the outside of him.

it reminded me of bale v Marc Bartra :lol:

Mcking

Can that be true? Silent domination?
Yes. Never seen a defender shirk responsibility more than he does. Unless a high ball is dropping right on top of him, he doesn't make an attempt to attack it and clear. No wonder we concede so much from set-pieces.

I think many people have not realized how much he avoids defending because he's always had Maguire next to him, and Smalling before Maguire. Two defenders that you'd always trust to attack and get it away. An injury to Maguire, and the chickens will start coming home to roost.

He's spent his few years at the club hiding behind his superior defensive partners.

Last edited:

ivaldo

It's obviously just a bias view of things, which I just simply accept as everyone is not going to objectively see the same thing.

The difference though is how you take the good with the bad. Pogba is weak defensively but great at other things.

Therefore when people criticise Pogba on poor defending etc, you can bet there will be others 'ignoring' that and argue his place on the team for his ball playing ability.

Of course it's unjust but why are we even caring about being unjust for a player like Lindelof that brings extremely little to the table? If someone was to criticise Lingard for not being hard working during his barren spell with us the past 2 years, whytf would it be worth anybody's time to 'defend' that when the general point is that he's not good enough for us.

To put it simply, if Lindelof has Fred level of ability (I'm not even going to compare to people like Pogba) then I'd expect some defence of an off game from Lindelof and to me it's fair game. But Lindelof though, really?

Maguire put in 5 times the performance that Lindelof did tonight.
We're all United fans. What possible gain is there for coming into the conversation already loaded?

Why? Because we aren't 5 years old and should be able to approach it with a degree of critical thinking. We should all be capable of making our points without dramatising everything. Lindelof was average. Maguire was better this game. I don't believe I ever said it was different.

ivaldo

To be fair, Isak went straight down the centre of the pitch where as Lindelof let almiron run around the outside of him.

it reminded me of bale v Marc Bartra :lol:
And Lindelof still ended up goal side while Bailly didn't. So, as I said, it's utter nonsense to deem Bailly had recovered from his mistake while Lindelof was left for dead. :houllier:

A-man

I don’t remember the incident sorry pal.
Ok it was just if you had access to the match, didn’t expect you to remember every minute :)

Edit: Maybe someone know how to add a clip for the situation at 76:58. It would be interesting to hear what people think what action that would be in the stats.

Red00012

Lindelof against Newcastle

0 Duels attempted
0 Aerials duels attempted
0 tackles attempted
0 interceptions
3 clearances
3 recoveries
0 blocks

For Maguire

12 duels attempted
6/6 aerial duels won
2 tackles attempted
1 interception
3 clearances
11 recoveries
1 block

One man defence.
Have you a link for that ?

Red_toad

Difficult to look good when you don't even notice him.
That’s all some need to justify his place in the team, did feck all and made no mistakes then equates to best defender in the team. He was genuinely anonymous, I think we should expect more from a United player, Martial was another one who went completely unnoticed and had no impact on the game.

criticalanalysis

And Lindelof still ended up goal side while Bailly didn't. So, as I said, it's utter nonsense to deem Bailly had recovered from his mistake while Lindelof was left for dead. :houllier:
To be fair I need to watch the incident again but Lindelof was all over him and should have conceded a yellow/free kick. Bailly comes out favourbly if just a little as he was rusty and against a faster player.

We're all United fans. What possible gain is there for coming into the conversation already loaded?

Why? Because we aren't 5 years old and should be able to approach it with a degree of critical thinking. We should all be capable of making our points without dramatising everything. Lindelof was average. Maguire was better this game. I don't believe I ever said it was different.
We all come into this loaded with preconceptions and opinions as we're watching 1000's of minutes to form an opinion on a player's game.

Lindelof being 'average' would be my definition of you giving him benefit of the doubt (and thus loaded). My opinion along with others is that he was thoroughly uninvolved and therefore a net negative. It's not average, it's below that.

If Vidic had played like Lindelof today, I would say 'average off game' because this would be below par. For Lindelof, it's par for the course.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Ok it was just if you had access to the match, didn’t expect you to remember every minute :)

Edit: Maybe someone know how to add a clip for the situation at 76:58. It would be interesting to hear what people think what action that would be in the stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.