Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eurotrash

Mixed bag. Defensively he made a couple of mistakes, most noticably right before we conceded the corner that they scored on.

Some nice long passes, good to see he tries them more often.

Juanito

Supports
Chelsea
I am usually in lindelofs corner and may sound strange after a win but he was really, really poor today. Creating an unnecessary corner that leads to goal happens but he lost what felt like every single duel and was made a couple of times. Really lucky his mistakes didn't lead to a goal.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You mean how Lindelof literally lost all of his six duels tonight? He was atrocious.
Is that stat actually true? I didn’t feel he did as badly as that at all, could be wrong though.

Dec9003

Wood beat Maguire and Lindelof both to the ball quite a lot, didnt get many efforts on target though
Yeah, I don’t think we took it off him cleanly many times, but it’s difficult against a big target like him. Sometimes sticking to him and not letting him get a clean shot away is the best thing and I felt like we did that today.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
One benefit of the doubt for Lindelof and Maguire is that no other team has the same personal or set-up as Burnley in Europe. Absolute shithouses.

Djemba-Djemba

Yep ditto, was targeted by Wood once more. He didn’t look very confident and struggled at times.
Right before the 3rd goal when we had to panic and scramble th ball clear he was absolutely fecking dreadful.

I thought all day he looked nervous and sloppy. He's been pretty good recently but this was back to him at his worst

Ekeke

Yeah, I don’t think we took it off him cleanly many times, but it’s difficult against a big target like him. Sometimes sticking to him and not letting him get a clean shot away is the best thing and I felt like we did that today.
I dont think it was due to our defending at all. It was down to him almost but not quite getting the technique right to get his attempts on target. If he had done we would have been in trouble. He tried and he caused problems, just couldnt quite get it right

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Burnley makes it uncomfortable for every team that play against. They play with a 6ft 3 centre forward with a game plan tailored to his strengths. Mixed bag from Lindelof. Everyone loses duels with Wood.

A-man

Wood beat Maguire and Lindelof both to the ball quite a lot, didnt get many efforts on target though
They discussed that on tv, that the strategy seemed to be to challenge rather high up and come in second to let them win the headers but disturb them, and then take care of the area behind.

A-man

Think he should do better defensively, even though it was no disaster. The same for Maguire. Both were good on the ball, both staying calm and playing through their press and accurate long balls. Almost assisted Rashford for a goal/penalty.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
In fairness, all of Lindelof's weaknesses will come out in games against physical opponents. It's the opposite of what we see when he plays against more technical teams.
That was my argument for keeping Tuanzebe in the team for today. I felt that Tuanzebe would at least compete physically against Burnley strikers, whereas Lindelof seems not able to do so. I could have understood playing three at the back today, to compete physically with them, and that would have meant that there was no need for both McTominay and Fred, one would suffice. Also, teams who come to OT to defend, tend to play narrow, which meant that both AWB and Shaw would have licence to push forward at every opportunity, therefore, hopefully, causing Burnley's defence to stretch, creating more spaces.

Dec9003

I dont think it was due to our defending at all. It was down to him almost but not quite getting the technique right to get his attempts on target. If he had done we would have been in trouble. He tried and he caused problems, just couldnt quite get it right
Fair enough, I think we mostly did enough to not give him the chance to get it right. He will cause us problems because he’s very good at what he does, I don’t think it was as bad as made out in here though.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Burnley makes it uncomfortable for every team that play against. They play with a 6ft 3 centre forward with a game plan tailored to his strengths. Mixed bag from Lindelof. Everyone loses duels with Wood.
I swear every member of their team is 6ft. :lol:

criticalanalysis

On the floor = decent.

In the air = rarely to be seen.

Maguire was poor for the goal but it does seem he overcompensates from the lack of aerial dominance from his defensive partner.

The two incidents that stand out most: 1st half, trying to shield the ball out, judging it completely wrong and then not being strong enough, only to concede a corner. 2nd half, just before our 3rd goal, ball down the line, typical back tracking, little to no pressure on the ball, falls over and lets the Burnley player drive towards our box. Shaw saved his ass.

It's happened so many times (Sevilla and Crystal Palace come to mind). People say he 'protects' AWB a lot because he's positionally suspect, which is fair but sometimes Lindelof does himself no favours by being so passive and reactionary in the channels. He prefers to back track and wait for others to get into position but it's almost his default option. For every time he's patient and cuts the ball out when we've been overrun (e.g when Maguire overcommits) like against Granada and Milan, he'll also have these lapses of weak judgement/execution.

Tough game for that central trio of Lindelof, Maguire and Henderson but as is obvious, much better should be expected from all.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Phheeww, no matter how many games he's bullied he will play because he's the only other CB who can stay fit, sad state of things at United who wants have some world class centrebacks. We really can't move on with someone as poor as Lindelof. I'd better fix our defensive issues than spend fortunes in the attacking department because he's a player who can cost us games after games. It really doesn't matter if he's got three game in which he's okay. He should do much better being a proactive defender not just a weak pussy, really outmuscled by pretty much everyone, so weak it pains, below average pace, shambolic in the air. It's so boring to criticise him again and again. He's easily our worst player in the starting 11. It's like to see Daniel James starting every game. I'd rather poke my eyes than to see that. Seriously hope we have some budget and we adress this glaring weakness

Devil may care

Much like Maguire I thought he wasn't as good today as he's been but I thought he used the ball well.

SwedishFish

Honestly think Maguire played worse, but you can't say that around here can you?

Either way, both of them weren't very good, but Burnley is a very tough and physical opponent to face.

A-man

Phheeww, no matter how many games he's bullied he will play because he's the only other CB who can stay fit, sad state of things at United who wants have some world class centrebacks. We really can't move on with someone as poor as Lindelof. I'd better fix our defensive issues than spend fortunes in the attacking department because he's a player who can cost us games after games. It really doesn't matter if he's got three game in which he's okay. He should do much better being a proactive defender not just a weak pussy, really outmuscled by pretty much everyone, so weak it pains, below average pace, shambolic in the air. It's so boring to criticise him again and again. He's easily our worst player in the starting 11. It's like to see Daniel James starting every game. I'd rather poke my eyes than to see that. Seriously hope we have some budget and we adress this glaring weakness
Our defence has been solid since Everton.
Lindelof has played 14 matches since then.
8 of them were clean sheets
5 of them we conceded 1 goal
1 of them we conceded 3 goals

Wouldn’t say he cost us game after game.

DON’T PANIC ™

His main weaknesses were exposed today again. Lindelof is very poor competing for headers and he’s not strong enough for a first rate centre half.
His main benefit is that he’s rarely injured and is a decent passer of the ball.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Shit game.

Good defender but should be back up.

Bring in that French world cup winner.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Our defence has been solid since Everton.
Lindelof has played 14 matches since then.
8 of them were clean sheets
5 of them we conceded 1 goal
1 of them we conceded 3 goals

Wouldn’t say he cost us game after game.
relentless, now you come up with statistics, he's leaking easy chances and everyone can see that, same mistakes again, sometimes it costs us sometimes he can get away with them. That certainly doesn't mean it's good enough.

A-man

relentless, now you come up with statistics, he's leaking easy chances and everyone can see that, same mistakes again, sometimes it costs us sometimes he can get away with them. That certainly doesn't mean it's good enough.
It’s not statistics. Is simple facts about how few goals we concede. Best defence in the PL atm.

SambaBoy

We need an upgrade on him. This is probably his best run of form but there's still times in a game where he's just too weak. Need a dominant CB next to Maguire.

criticalanalysis

Some good long balls in the 1st half and one good driving run in the 2nd.

Defensively okay. Got away with one or two counters and then did his usual 'I'll keep retreating/back tracking and wait for the whole team to fall back'.

Still too passive for my liking. He had space to drive into (as Leeds wasn't pressing on touch/high in our half) and make more progressive passes but he was far too safe.

We're told he's the one that is 'playing last man' and zonally covering Maguire but he's got to do a bit more. The way he's been ever present in the team, he's earned the right to play on his own terms now. Needs to come out of his shell and make a proactive impact.

A-man

Good but not great, but didn’t really need to be great either for us to keep another clean sheet. Good with the ball except one dangerously misplaced pass.

Grande

Some good long balls in the 1st half and one good driving run in the 2nd.

Defensively okay. Got away with one or two counters and then did his usual 'I'll keep retreating/back tracking and wait for the whole team to fall back'.

Still too passive for my liking. He had space to drive into (as Leeds wasn't pressing on touch/high in our half) and make more progressive passes but he was far too safe.

We're told he's the one that is 'playing last man' and zonally covering Maguire but he's got to do a bit more. The way he's been ever present in the team, he's earned the right to play on his own terms now. Needs to come out of his shell and make a proactive impact.
Tbh he does that a lot more now. He ventured up the pitch several times, picked good forward passes, and had three attempts for through balls from deep. Together with Maguire, their impact on our attacks were better than our midfielders yesterday, I think.

There was that one gaffe left unpunished, but apart from that I think Maguire and him are in a really good spell at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.