Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m going to beat this drum but I think Lindelof and his backups are upgradable. Tonight showed it. Though in fairness I’ve always said those 2 are injury prone anyway and so we need another cb

Pickle85

I’m going to beat this drum but I think Lindelof and his backups are upgradable. Tonight showed it. Though in fairness I’ve always said those 2 are injury prone anyway and so we need another cb
I'm genuinely confused as to how tonight showed that Lindelof is upgradable.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Sign Rice who can cover as a MF and CB.

Sancho and Rice and i think it is a good window.

Eugenius

I'm not sure how watching a defence which has probably played 10 games between them in the last 6 months is the right yardstick of judging any of our first choice players.

Especially when Lindelof actually did play on the weekend he was shocking.

A-man

I'm not sure how watching a defence which has probably played 10 games between them in the last 6 months is the right yardstick of judging any of our first choice players.

Tough life. Being so easily chocked, I mean.

A-man

For me it’s insane if we don’t get another CB who at least can be a back up. However I don’t think we are going for anybody as Bailly was “promised” more game time if he signed. I don’t think he had wanted to stay if they planned to put him down to fourth place.

Ekeke

This is again the oft missed point. Tuanzebe and Bailly come in from the cold, play in a team with young players and people are immediately drawing comparisons with a CB who has played the majority of games over the past 3 seasons. Big shock they werent immediately at their best and a big improvement over Lindelof who was poor at the weekend. But maybe they would be if they played next to Maguire for 10 straight games like Lindelof will regardless of form. And if Lindelof comes into the team after months of not starting are you sure he's going to be any better than he was at the weekend when hes fit and playing? Because he's never in that situation. He's always playing a lot so hes never in the same situation as the players hes compared to from our own club

golden_blunder

Staff
For me it’s insane if we don’t get another CB who at least can be a back up. However I don’t think we are going for anybody as Bailly was “promised” more game time if he signed. I don’t think he had wanted to stay if they planned to put him down to fourth place.
I actually think cb should be a priority signing from a fitness POV especially now we know maguire is human to injuries too

golden_blunder

Staff
This is again the oft missed point. Tuanzebe and Bailly come in from the cold, play in a team with young players and people are immediately drawing comparisons with a CB who has played the majority of games over the past 3 seasons. Big shock they werent immediately at their best and a big improvement over Lindelof who was poor at the weekend. But maybe they would be if they played next to Maguire for 10 straight games like Lindelof will regardless of form. And if Lindelof comes into the team after months of not starting are you sure he's going to be any better than he was at the weekend when hes fit and playing? Because he's never in that situation. He's always playing a lot so hes never in the same situation as the players hes compared to from our own club
Very good point

He might not be Jaap Stam but last night showed he's still easily one of the two best centre backs in the club.

Bailly could have been but he can't stay fit and the chances for Tuanzebe are fast diminishing.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Don’t say it too loud in this thread
Victor's a good player, better than Bailly (I used to think the opposite) and Tuanzebe, but could and should be upgraded rather easily.

I can't see how anyone can disagree with that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He used the words “Bailly” and “10 straight games” in the same post. Priceless!

Man Utd 2:4 Liverpool

mewnew11

Such a pussy on the ball. The moment he is pressed he passes sideways.

Maguire has been a big miss and without him lindeloff is just an average average defender.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's definitely not to blame for the second goal before anyone jumps down my throat... But really want my defender to do more to close down that shot. He just invited TAA to have a strike.

reddevilchennai

Such a pussy on the ball. The moment he is pressed he passes sideways.

Maguire has been a big miss and without him lindeloff is just an average average defender.
True. We need a brave defender. Most of his passes are sideways or back to the keeper apart from one or two good long balls to right winger. His forward passing is very poor.

kiristao

Except for that one chance that Salah got, don't think he did much wrong. First goal was just bad luck, 2nd is clearly Pogbas fault, 3rd is a combination of Fred, Shaw and Henderson and 4th is Matic and us chasing the game.
Lindelof was poor the last game for sure but I thought he did pretty well considering he was not playing in his regular position and more often than not had to deal with Salah.

Eugenius

He's definitely not to blame for the second goal before anyone jumps down my throat... But really want my defender to do more to close down that shot. He just invited TAA to have a strike.
He was probably the least at fault in that whole sequence, but it was terrible defending.

mewnew11

Dominating performance brushing the hair out of eyes, usual loads of pointing and the odd suicidal ball to a fellow defender when he's not trying to find where the ball is or looking like a scared rabbit when someone comes near him.
Ah the brushing hair is so annoying. Get him a hair band please

izec

He needs Harry to babysit him.

He is just a nothing player. I have that opinion for years now. If things go well, he cruises along. If things go to shit, he cruises along. Guy with no face and no characteristics. He is just there, no good or bad, just a body that fluctuates throughout games and has mostly no influence on it. He is not good enough to start for us.

MattyB1986

Never rated Lindelof; weak, positioning is meh, passing is overrated... Just never seen it with this guy. Maguire gets stick but he has to usher a bit of a wet flap in Lindelof.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Except for that one chance that Salah got, don't think he did much wrong. First goal was just bad luck, 2nd is clearly Pogbas fault, 3rd is a combination of Fred, Shaw and Henderson and 4th is Matic and us chasing the game.
Lindelof was poor the last game for sure but I thought he did pretty well considering he was not playing in his regular position and more often than not had to deal with Salah.
He didn't do much all game. That sums up Lindelof's career with us.

Doesn't actually defend that much and people keep harping on how good he is on the ball and can play the ball out from defense while in reality all he's doing is passing to Fred/GK/Maguire who're all within 10 feet of him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
So scared in possession. The only thing you can say for him tonight is Bailly was worse. Which really ain't saying much.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He’s the epitome of the Kobe gif where he mouths ‘soft’

He needs serious competition, can’t be a nailed on starter if we have title aspirations.
Again. The guy’s just soft. Never a leader. Never dominant.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Sums up this era of United, a Swede who wants to play no contact because he has a bad back and a lad who will just karate kick the air for no apparent reason.

spiriticon

I just don't rate this guy. Yeah he's been alright in patches this season, but overall I always fancy the attacker to beat him to the ball in a 50-50

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In a way I don't blame him, because I have zero expectation that he can do well without Maguire beside him. Which is damning in its own way.

Everything about him screams "third choice CB" and hopefully that will be the case going into next season.

Ekeke

Also gave the ball away to set off a liverpool attack

kundalini

Lindelof seemed to struggle having to play left CB, instead of right CB. Not a great performance but I thought several others were far worse.

Jezpeza

I remember when we signed him and there was a paper article talking about how him and Bailly could be our centre half pairing for a decade. Laughs.

I dont think him or Bailly are good enough to play for us unless they are partnered with someone better. And even then you only want to see them play if someone is injured or suspended.
Lindelof and Bailly is a cb partnership i dont want to see again unless we are playing Doncaster in the cup.
If HM isn’t fit for the final we will need to think about back 3’s or Shaw or AwB at centre half.

criticalanalysis

You'll get others defending him saying 'he did well to follow TAA and not dive in', 'he bought time for his team mates to come back', 'a lot of people think diving in with last ditch tackles is superior defending, it's not and Lindelof is an intelligent defender', 'it's not his fault other people were worst in front of him', 'not the worst of the lot, he did okay', 'he wasn't at direct fault for the goals so therefore he must have been decent' on and on and on and on..

He looks good filling holes for Maguire and AWB because those two are absolutely dominant in defending and the former also in taking responsibility with the ball, so people start elevating Lindelof's performances and equating the good work of others as his own. He's had some good form this year and that's credit to him but he is absolutely the weakest link in our defence.

Any moment in a game it becomes stretched or calls for some strong individual defending or passing, he will pick a deferring tactic e.g stall on the opposition player, making little engagement to wait for team mates or when pressed keep squaring it to everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.