Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

What a ridiculous statement to make even in a jokey manner that’s so stupid
Didn't want to offend you. I'm sure you look great without being able to grow a beard pal. Will overthink highly offensive jokes like that before posting them in the future or write you an e-mail if they are ok for you. Hugs <3

Ekeke

A-Man has 407 posts in this thread. If Lindelof had his work ethic for defending he'd be a good defender. He doesn't.

A-man

You do know that is really bad for title contenders don't you? Especially as that not even a full season. Chelsea conceded 15 goals in the entire season of 2005-2006. This is 22 goals in 26 games....
And last time United won the PL we conceded 43 goals. It’s impressive that Chelsea conceded 15 goals but it’s not the only way. I don’t think to looking at an average is the best way either, which is why I presented the goals conceded in this format. Most of the games we have conceded 0 or 1 goal. That means we’ll win them if we score more than 1 goal. Yes it is not the whole season, only them matches where Maguire and Lindelof played as CB pair.

That is title winning form. Some bad games like Everton fecked us and first game vs Palace.

Had we won those games maybe we would have challenged a bit longer.

Too many 0-0 draws though was our bigger problem than defensive form.
I think the 0-0 draws were quite costly. We didn’t lose many games this season but many 0-0 draws. Defence must improve, especially setpieces, but our attack also have to improve.

A-man

A-Man has 407 posts in this thread. If Lindelof had his work ethic for defending he'd be a good defender. He doesn't.
I don’t think you need to go through me to join the wank party. Honestly thought higher of you.

NK86

This is just before 90 minutes. You never seen players pass around the ball like this just before full time before?
In a final (European one at that) which has not been won? No, never seen that. Have you?

DFreshKing

And last time United won the PL we conceded 43 goals. It’s impressive that Chelsea conceded 15 goals but it’s not the only way. I don’t think to looking at an average is the best way either, which is why I presented the goals conceded in this format. Most of the games we have conceded 0 or 1 goal. That means we’ll win them if we score more than 1 goal. Yes it is not the whole season, only them matches where Maguire and Lindelof played as CB pair.

I think the 0-0 draws were quite costly. We didn’t lose many games this season but many 0-0 draws. Defence must improve, especially setpieces, but our attack also have to improve.
If we had a solid base the attack would improve. I'm not saying it's perfect and I agree with you it needs depth but we have scarce resources and need to fill the dm and cb void first. Our starters are not good enough.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is just before 90 minutes. You never seen players pass around the ball like this just before full time before?
Yes I have and they are called coward, we have two cowards in that video.

There is a reason why I said quantitative is number to show that the player does it in consistent basis per 90 minutes.

There is a reason why Maguire’s progressive ball carry attempted is higher than Lindelof.

There is a reason why I posted this a month ago:
That video sums it up why Lindelof progressive carry is low and why quantitative is important to determine player’s consistency which reflects to quality.

A-man

In a final (European one at that) which has not been won? No, never seen that. Have you?
Yes, its quote common. Rarely any teams that push forward at a moment like that. Also, a few seconds after the clip was cut the ball was advanced and we got our last goal scoring opportunity, header from Pogba. It was cut out of course and some people who probably didn’t watch the game seemed to be fooled that this edited clip represented the game.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just what did our scouting department see in this guy ?
The worst part is Mourinho sold Blind for this guy. You thought he didn’t want Blind because he’s slow and weak physically but signing this guy and sold Blind makes zero sense.

Foxbatt

Blind is a much better player. Also Lindelof is nothing like a Jose player. Could be some underhand deal?

A-man

Yes I have and they are called coward, we have two cowards in that video.

There is a reason why I said quantitative is number to show that the player does it in consistent basis per 90 minutes.

There is a reason why Maguire’s progressive ball carry attempted is higher than Lindelof.

There is a reason why I posted this a month ago:

That video sums it up why Lindelof progressive carry is low and why quantitative is important to determine player’s consistency which reflects to quality.
Well their progressive distance is pretty much the same, as shown before.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well their progressive distance is pretty much the same, as shown before.
Once again, you are only looking at one aspect instead of looking at overall. Progressive ball carry is not judged based on one aspect.

I could easily say when Tom Cleverley was here, he was not much different to Xavi in their passing based on ''passing successful percentage''. There is a reason why I keep telling you to look at overall.

You see the stats I re-quoted above? and combine them with the video. They tell you everything why Lindelof is so much lower than Maguire in their overall ball playing ability and ball progression.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Blind is a much better player. Also Lindelof is nothing like a Jose player. Could be some underhand deal?
Not blaming on Jose alone but indeed that the scouts had to be questioned too since Maguire in that year joined Leicester for 17m. And somehow our scouts managed to find someone worst for more expensive fees like 35m.

@Rozay Just want to bring it up again for you.

Varun

Staff
The worst part is Mourinho sold Blind for this guy. You thought he didn’t want Blind because he’s slow and weak physically but signing this guy and sold Blind makes zero sense.
Mourinho also turned down koulibaly and preferred to get Bailly. Went shopping at Porto for a RB and came back with Dalot instead of Ricardo. Inept as feck

A-man

Once again, you are only looking at one aspect instead of looking at overall. Progressive ball carry is not judged based on one aspect.

I could easily say when Tom Cleverley was here, he was not much different to Xavi in their passing based on ''passing successful percentage''. There is a reason why I keep telling you to look at overall.

You see the stats I re-quoted above? and combine them with the video. They tell you everything why Lindelof is so much lower than Maguire in their overall ball playing ability and ball progression.
You mean the video where Bailly and Lindelof pass each other 2-3 times at the end of second half? I don’t see how that shows anything. It was not representative at all for the match.

If you would guess, who had most progressive carries, and progressive passing in the final? Lindelof, Bailly, Torres or Albiol?

In general Maguire hit some long balls to Shaw or the winger and Lindelof’s long balls are directed to the forward in the box. They are of very different character. This is confirmed by the plots you posted.

Fahad Jawaid

He never was and never will be Utd quality. Lets try to dissect his game attributes.

Cons:
- Physically weak
- Poor in the Air
- Easily gets bullied
- Loses concentration (Ball watching)
- Slow on the turn
- Shirks responsibility

Pros:
- Remains Fit and available
- Occasionally plays good long balls

Do we really want a player of this ilk who needs a babysitter because he can't do his job properly. Hopefully we sign a proper CB and sell this imposter of a CB.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
@A-man 2-3 guys pollute this thread with anti-Lindelof sentiment? Have you looked at the number that say he’s not good enough? More like there are 2-3 that defend him to the death, 1 of which is you
I agree with your position on Lindelöf and have wanted him gone ever since he signed the contract, but you and a couple of other posters in here come across as massive haters who are for some reason obsessed with downplaying and criticizing everything he does to the point where it becomes almost weird.

There's been quite a few players at United throughout the years that I have found to be atrocious but even though a lot of people felt the same way I don't think there's been a whole lot of posters who have been more toxic towards a player than you lot are. It's funny because it's like having a few friends who hates the same thing as you and even though you agree with them you actually get annoyed since they can't ever shut up about it.

gottho

It was easy to see that Villarreal targeted him during game as the weakest link.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I agree with your position on Lindelöf and have wanted him gone ever since he signed the contract, but you and a couple of other posters in here come across as massive haters who are for some reason obsessed with downplaying and criticizing everything he does to the point where it becomes almost weird.

There's been quite a few players at United throughout the years that I have found to be atrocious but even though a lot of people felt the same way I don't think there's been a whole lot of posters who have been more toxic towards a player than you lot are. It's funny because it's like having a few friends who hates the same thing as you and even though you agree with them you actually get annoyed since they can't ever shut up about it.
I just get wound up, he’s one of the obvious weak spots in the team. I think what winds me up the most is that some defend him no matter what happens. I will try and take onboard what you say but no guarantees; I’ll be back though when we sign his replacement which we are sure to do this summer!

NK86

Yes, its quote common. Rarely any teams that push forward at a moment like that. Also, a few seconds after the clip was cut the ball was advanced and we got our last goal scoring opportunity, header from Pogba. It was cut out of course and some people who probably didn’t watch the game seemed to be fooled that this edited clip represented the game.
That is not how a team chasing to win ever plays. Just so you say, doesn't mean it's true.
Also, it's not just about this clip, Lindelof is a coward and just doesn't take responsibility half the time. Maguire is the one who dictates the forward play most of the time amongst our CBs and that game highlighted it a lot.

A-man

That is not how a team chasing to win ever plays. Just so you say, doesn't mean it's true.
Also, it's not just about this clip, Lindelof is a coward and just doesn't take responsibility half the time. Maguire is the one who dictates the forward play most of the time amongst our CBs and that game highlighted it a lot.
I know it’s common to have opinions about players based on YouTube clips, and in this case even worse; a few second long tiktok clip, but it’s not really the way to evaluate a player.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I just get wound up, he’s one of the obvious weak spots in the team. I think what winds me up the most is that some defend him no matter what happens. I will try and take onboard what you say but no guarantees; I’ll be back though when we sign his replacement which we are sure to do this summer!
I think it goes both ways, you wouldn't have people defending his every move if the criticism was more measured and not grounded in this desperation to blame him for everything he does or doesn't do, it is a United forum after all and our players will be defended. However I think most people would just nod in agreement when he was criticized for the things he actually does wrong and I guess I'm the perfect example of that since that's exactly what I would do instead of writing all this.

A replacement brought in this summer would solve all of it, but sadly I'm not as confident as you are that we'll get one.

Ekeke

Are you kidding? This is nothing compared to Smalling and Jones. They didnt even get the grace period of people pretending they were great CBs for 3 seasons without doing well

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Are you kidding? This is nothing compared to Smalling and Jones. They didnt even get the grace period of people pretending they were great CBs for 3 seasons without doing well
Why would people pretend they were great CB's?

Cloud7

Not to be that guy, but are the only posters who come in here vehemently defending Lindelof, Swedes?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don’t think you need to go through me to join the wank party. Honestly thought higher of you.
He's just jealous you've pipped him of his record in a player thread, which he previously held for the Smalling threads where he was top poster in about 3 consecutive seasons.

criticalanalysis

I think it goes both ways, you wouldn't have people defending his every move if the criticism was more measured and not grounded in this desperation to blame him for everything he does or doesn't do, it is a United forum after all and our players will be defended. However I think most people would just nod in agreement when he was criticized for the things he actually does wrong and I guess I'm the perfect example of that since that's exactly what I would do instead of writing all this.
The measured responses exist in pretty much most of the other threads in this forum relatively speaking because there's a fair balance of pros and cons type posts. I would say Lindelof's performance are similar to Ole's time here. If you look at the posts/thread on Ole, I would say the majority believe he has been under par, which I would say is a fair reflection.

So as for your impression of 'haters', have you thought about the reasons why the second bolded part may not exist? Have a look at the number of replied posts in just this thread, let alone the forum. If one person is literally more than double the next person, how do you think people can 'nod in agreement' when the defence is so disproportionately 'pro', absolving Lindelof of most criticism. Maybe you should be questioning the 'defenders' and this weird obsession to downplay the criticisms. The goals conceded stat bandied around like it's a badge of honour for Lindelof (when it is far more of a team effort than any one/two individuals and completely ignores how it also hinders us in other ways) is the perfect example of his ludicrous defence.

I don't think there's desperation to blame him. I think there's 'desperation' to debate obvious fanboys, who support one player more than the actual club's progress. What makes it truly worst though, is the fact Lindelof is an actual first teamer, playing the majority of games. I'm 100% sure, the 'haters', would not care to debate an average player if he was on the fringes (Lingard's demise with us is a perfect example of this).

Last edited:

Siezard

He conceded the same goal against Sevilla last season. Or maybe it was the other defenders not marking too.

Dearg hÉireann

Lindelof is a decent CB but not of the level required to help us get back to the top table of European football and challenging for the biggest trophies.

Time and time again he switches off and loses runners and his lack of strength gets shown up too often for a CB.

Put simply, he would thrive in a team like Barcelona 09-11 where he could play football and not have any defending to do.

NK86

I know it’s common to have opinions about players based on YouTube clips, and in this case even worse; a few second long tiktok clip, but it’s not really the way to evaluate a player.
You're talking as if as a United fan, I actively avoid watching United. No matter what spin you want to put on this, Lindelof is a liability defensively and nowhere near good enough with his progressive distribution to be a starter for a team challenging for the top honours. If you think United should remain a team which should only be also-rans, then Lindelof may be enough.

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania
Will tell you all a little secret, you only got 2 players at the moment that is above good/average and that is Bruno and Shawn but it´s ok, you can still challenge without every position having a world class player.
I can still see you compete for PL/CL next season, but you would probably need a new manager and 2-3 new players.
CB is not your biggest problem, it´s your midfield, drop *McFred for Barella and Rice and put Pogba out on the left over Rashy and you got a team that could challenge if everyone stay healthy.
Maguire/Lindelöf is good enough for you to progress and challenge, McFred isnt.
*No I don´t think you could get Barella.

Something like this would be scary:

Cavani
Pogba Bruno Greenwood
Rice Barella
Shawn Maguire Lindelöf AWB
Henderson

Zlaatan

Parody Account
The measured responses exist in pretty much most of the other threads in this forum relatively speaking because there's a fair balance of pros and cons type posts. I would say Lindelof's performance are similar to Ole's time here. If you look at the posts/thread on Ole, I would say the majority believe he has been under par, which I would say is a fair reflection.

So as for your impression of 'haters', have you thought about the reasons why the second bolded part may not exist? Have a look at the number of replied posts in just this thread, let alone the forum. If one person is literally more than double the next person, how do you think people can 'nod in agreement' when the defence is so disproportionately 'pro', absolving Lindelof of most criticism. Maybe you should be questioning the 'defenders' and this weird obsession to downplay the criticisms. The goals conceded stat bandied around like it's a badge of honour for Lindelof (when it is far more of a team effort than any one/two individuals and completely ignores how it also hinders us in other ways) is the perfect example of his ludicrous defence.

I don't think there's desperation to blame him. I think there's 'desperation' to debate obvious fanboys, who support one player more than the actual club's progress. What makes it truly worst though, is the fact Lindelof is an actual first teamer, playing the majority of games. I'm 100% sure, the 'haters', would not care to debate an average player if he was on the fringes (Lingard's demise with us is a perfect example of this).
It's not disproportionately pro because there's obviously more than one person commenting here and he/she isn't posting in a vacuum. As for the second bolded part you're talking about, that does exist and has done ever since he signed for us - I'm living proof of it and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

And no his defenders haven't brainwashed me with an extraordinary number of posts from one member alone, I've gotten my impression of the 'haters' from the 'haters'. When we have people bending over backwards every other game to point out that one of our players really was to blame for that goal we could've conceded because his pass would've been intercepted if player x and y had missed the ball and the oppo attacker had been 25m more to the left, then I'm obviously going to agree with whoever says that's stupid.

I'm not against criticizing players and I don't give a shit that he's Swedish, I want him out of the NT just as much as I want him out of United, but some of the critique he's been getting is absurd and trying to blame him for literally anything and everything washes out the truly deserved criticism more than it strengthens it imo.

It's like Lukaku and his car all over again, I wasn't his biggest fan but when people blame his poor form on his fecking car then I'm going to point out what a load of bullshit that is.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You mean the video where Bailly and Lindelof pass each other 2-3 times at the end of second half? I don’t see how that shows anything. It was not representative at all for the match.

If you would guess, who had most progressive carries, and progressive passing in the final? Lindelof, Bailly, Torres or Albiol?

In general Maguire hit some long balls to Shaw or the winger and Lindelof’s long balls are directed to the forward in the box. They are of very different character. This is confirmed by the plots you posted.
Oh yes it does, it shows you why quantitative is important to determine the consistency of what player does in 90 minutes and how it effects the team’s play. If you don’t bring the ball forward enough but only spend most of your time passing the ball like in the video then your quantitative is small means you offer less quality for the team. Thus, why Maguire offers more quality in his ball playing than Lindelof.

For example, what’s the point being the ball forward for 5 mins but playing safe for the rest 85 mins? What’s the point playing directed to forward in the box once but the rest of the passing are safe and coward like in the video?

Another stats prove Maguire offers more than Lindelof for the team in their ability to bring the ball forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.