Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

Yep I feel the same way. We didn't have a coach who implemented a playing out from the back system, so I didn't understand the collective rush to buy a passive ball-playing CB other than reacting to the likes of City, rather than imposing our own playing style based on the players we already had.
Another indictment of the lack of strategy in our club over the last decade or so, that hopefully is changing.
We did with LvG.

He put Blind, a genuinely excellent passer, next to Smalling, and lo and behold they were a really well-matched pair.

Lindelöf is capable of some really excellent passes, but they are too infrequent to compensate for his generally lacklustre defending.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fully expect Lindelof to be an important player for us under ETH. Wait and see.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if a functional midfield (and, ideally, a new keeper) makes Maguire look twice the player he’s looked so far. But that’s a discussion for another thread. This one is for terrible hot takes apparently.

Revaulx

He's been rubbish since Huddersfield played him like a fiddle on his debut. I've been consistent in that.
The collective hatred of Smalling by our fanbase (unfairly imo) was the only reason why he was given so many chances & opportunities, based on the fact that he isn't bad on the ball, unlike Smalling.
The only place I ever encountered a collective hatred of Smalling was on here. My match going friends, who could best be described as elderly gammon, were all bemused when he got pushed out, and admired him all the more for forcing a move when he realised he was out of favour, rather than being happy to sit on his arse and draw a fat salary.

Ekeke

It's mad. Around February after the Leeds 4-2, everybody was on here saying he's been our best defender all season. Now he's the worst defender we've ever had. I can't imagine it's easy to defend in a team that's given up

I liken him to Matip at Liverpool. He's as good as that lad.
They were high on copium. Even at that point Varane was just as good if not better, its just Lindelof had played more and been more available.

But really they were choosing between 6/10 performers as our best CB

Matip is a good defender. We havent had one of those this season

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Fully expect Lindelof to be an important player for us under ETH. Wait and see.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if a functional midfield (and, ideally, a new keeper) makes Maguire look twice the player he’s looked so far. But that’s a discussion for another thread. This one is for terrible hot takes apparently.
Booooooo.

SER19

Our defenders have been terrible but all of them, even maguire, deserve at least a tiny bit of slack. At this level you simply cannot play without a functional midfield

SER19

And severely underperforming fullbacks. In front of a freakishly quiet keeper who is poor at every element of his game apart from stopping shots.
Yeah, anybody who's even played amateur football knows that even if you put your two best players at centre half, if they don't have fullbacks and a really solid midfield, you're getting battered.

I think we've been left behind by the improvements of midfield in PL. Look at the quality across most teams in there, not just the top ones. Such a cliche but it's where games are won and lost and if you put mctominay fred Bruno in the treble team, instead of 99 midfield, then its not happening

golden_blunder

Staff
Our defenders have been terrible but all of them, even maguire, deserve at least a tiny bit of slack. At this level you simply cannot play without a functional midfield
More excuses.

Yes that’s part of it. not all off it.

But come on, basic mistakes. Letting a player run across you without doing anything and watching him shoot? Any of you lot could do that for free. Defence leaked goals this season, it’s something that needs addressed on an equal basis with the other things

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah, anybody who's even played amateur football knows that even if you put your two best players at centre half, if they don't have fullbacks and a really solid midfield, you're getting battered.

I think we've been left behind by the improvements of midfield in PL. Look at the quality across most teams in there, not just the top ones. Such a cliche but it's where games are won and lost and if you put mctominay fred Bruno in the treble team, instead of 99 midfield, then its not happening
Well if you want to bring up amateur football we’ve got 2 centre backs that any competent amateur forward will fancy his chances against

SER19

More excuses.

Yes that’s part of it. not all off it.

But come on, basic mistakes. Letting a player run across you without doing anything and watching him shoot? Any of you lot could do that for free. Defence leaked goals this season, it’s something that needs addressed on an equal basis with the other things

I don't mean to let them off lightly. They deserve huge criticism and you're right, some basics were just neglected seemingly without any sense of personal responsibility. On balance, if we're operating on a budget, id sooner see lindelof, Maguire and Varane behind a new midfield, than see 2 top centre backs behind the same midfield. We need to fix both obviously, but I do think we were just so poorly set up this season that any defenders would have shipped at least 45+ goals. But yes, that shouldn't absolve them of basic passing and courage

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't mean to let them off lightly. They deserve huge criticism and you're right, some basics were just neglected seemingly without any sense of personal responsibility. On balance, if we're operating on a budget, id sooner see lindelof, Maguire and Varane behind a new midfield, than see 2 top centre backs behind the same midfield. We need to fix both obviously, but I do think we were just so poorly set up this season that any defenders would have shipped at least 45+ goals. But yes, that shouldn't absolve them of basic passing and courage
As I said it’s as much of a problem for me. I’d be disappointed if both weren’t addressed as I think they go hand in hand. The spine needs addressing

A-man

Lindelof doesn’t join the Swedish NT for Nations League. According to the Swedish coach he has had really bad injury problems lately (starting more than a month ago). Is it his back again?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is part of the reason we need a CB signing this summer. Aside from Bailly/Jones wanting to leave, both Varane and Lindelof have had injury issues in recent times.

golden_blunder

Staff
This is part of the reason we need a CB signing this summer. Aside from Bailly/Jones wanting to leave, both Varane and Lindelof have had injury issues in recent times.
People are mad thinking we can go into a season with Varane/Maguire/Lindelof
We are one injury away from defensive breakdown. We need a CB

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Lindelof doesn’t join the Swedish NT for Nations League. According to the Swedish coach he has had really bad injury problems lately (starting more than a month ago). Is it his back again?
Must be his arm. It’s overstretched from the amount of time he unnaturally puts them behind his back when he defends.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not surprised he's suffering from back pain the way he's been carrying our defence all season :drool:
Now I know why he's got his hands tied behind his back all the time. He's holding his back together!

golden_blunder

Staff
Thoughts on this @golden_blunder? I think we've cracked the case
It’s certainly an interesting theory. I’m thinking that maybe his hair is too heavy for his beautiful back bone and so he is always flicking his hair away from where it hurts. Also because his hair is so heavy it affects his ability to jump for headers.

but my favourite theory Is that he’s laying the ground work for pulling a Phil Jones style sickie, and he will announce himself free to play if United don’t sign new CBs, but if they do he’s sick

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It’s certainly an interesting theory. I’m thinking that maybe his hair is too heavy for his beautiful back bone and so he is always flicking his hair away from where it hurts. Also because his hair is so heavy it affects his ability to jump for headers.

but my favourite theory Is that he’s laying the ground work for pulling a Phil Jones style sickie, and he will announce himself free to play if United don’t sign new CBs, but if they do he’s sick
That's a compelling point and well reasoned too. I appreciate you taking the time to share it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.