Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CG1010

3 at the back and Lindelof as a DM would be one of the most grim looking starting lineups ever
It won't be both! I meant Lindelof will play more as a CB than DM, so effectively we would be playing 3 CBs only.

Drifter

American
Maybe it was the unveiling of Varane, but Lindelof had one of his better games. Long may it continue.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Seen a lot of comments on my view that Maguire is taken for granted as a choice in front of Lindelof because his english. And i want to clarify that it is not about Lindelof being Swedish or anything i think people having a more critical view of him, it is all about English fans, English teams, and English press always have a biased view on English players. Would be the same if Lindelof was Danish or anything else beside English. As a consequence Maguire is viewed more favorable, and Lindelof needs to play better than if he was English, to take a starter place. Just look at this thread for example, everyone seems to think there is not a discussion on Lindelof being your 3rd pick, and seeing Maguire as a better player. But if you look at your own ratings from last season, you rate them exactly the same, at 5.9. But when English people think of Maguire vs Lindelof, the view is completely different. Wonder why...

And to be clear, I do not necessary think Lindelof is a better player, i think they are pretty equal, both have ups and downs, both makes mistakes, Varane is clearly on a other level. But you guys viewing Lindelof as a obviously worse player, and Maguire as this world class defender, thats just because Maguire is English. You like your own players to be better than they are (just as you always believe your national team is better than it is). And English teams prefer picking and playing English players because thats looks better. Thats why English players are always 10-20 millions more expansive than other players. English players cost more, because English teams are more desperate to have English players in there lineups. That is a fact.
I’ve already said to you a few posts back that it’s nothing to do with nationality. Whatever Caf ratings may say, professionals will always pick a maguire style cb for playing the English game. Why? Because it’s physical and there are lots of crosses. Lindelofs 2 main downfalls. From that POV Maguire is streets ahead of VL. That’s not nationality, that’s just skill sets

RedDevilRoshi

That’s one of the best performances I have ever seen from him. Whenever Maguire stepped out of position, Victor was always there to sweep things up.

I’m sure the signing of Varane has made him know that he is going to have to step up his game now. If that has a similar sort of impact to the one Telles’ arrival had for Shaw, then what a brilliant situation that is!

criticalanalysis

Seen a lot of comments on my view that Maguire is taken for granted as a choice in front of Lindelof because his english. And i want to clarify that it is not about Lindelof being Swedish or anything i think people having a more critical view of him, it is all about English fans, English teams, and English press always have a biased view on English players. Would be the same if Lindelof was Danish or anything else beside English. As a consequence Maguire is viewed more favorable, and Lindelof needs to play better than if he was English, to take a starter place. Just look at this thread for example, everyone seems to think there is not a discussion on Lindelof being your 3rd pick, and seeing Maguire as a better player. But if you look at your own ratings from last season, you rate them exactly the same, at 5.9. But when English people think of Maguire vs Lindelof, the view is completely different. Wonder why...

And to be clear, I do not necessary think Lindelof is a better player, i think they are pretty equal, both have ups and downs, both makes mistakes, Varane is clearly on a other level. But you guys viewing Lindelof as a obviously worse player, and Maguire as this world class defender, thats just because Maguire is English. You like your own players to be better than they are (just as you always believe your national team is better than it is). And English teams prefer picking and playing English players because thats looks better. Thats why English players are always 10-20 millions more expansive than other players. English players cost more, because English teams are more desperate to have English players in there lineups. That is a fact.
The reason why the majority rate Maguire over Lindelof is that he is simply a better player, period. They are not equal ffs. Not even Lindelof's biggest fans will say that, even though they will ridiculously try to elevate his performances like he's the second coming of Rio. As for the ratings, they mean jack all. Some of our own posters here thought they were both 'even' in the first season yet the rating shows Maguire 0.2 higher with more clean sheets under his belt.

Stop making an agenda out of nothing. Your Swedish bias is betraying you. You're upset Lindelof is being treated as the inferior player when that is the pure truth. His performance against Leeds yesterday was good but this type of game (where it was along the ground against a team with the play mostly in front of him) is more of an exception rather than the norm; even the comments suggest that e.g 'he actually had a good game', 'best I've seen from him', 'solid 3rd cb', etc. Guardiola wanted to buy Maguire, Mourinho wanted him after he brought in Lindelof and now Ole has Varane to replace him. He will make a good squad option and in an alternate universe where he could churn out consistent Leeds-like performances, may have been a started for another 'top' team but today he is rated appropriately by fans and his posiiton in the squad.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
I’ve already said to you a few posts back that it’s nothing to do with nationality. Whatever Caf ratings may say, professionals will always pick a maguire style cb for playing the English game. Why? Because it’s physical and there are lots of crosses. Lindelofs 2 main downfalls. From that POV Maguire is streets ahead of VL. That’s not nationality, that’s just skill sets
How do you explain english teams playing a lot more for english players then for others? You don't think that has anything to do with english teams also having an bigger eager to also play english players than other nationalities?

golden_blunder

Staff
How do you explain english teams playing a lot more for english players then for others? You don't think that has anything to do with english teams also having an bigger eager to also play english players than other nationalities?
Well, you realise that there are and have been quotas to fulfil?
United are possibly unfairly, paying extra because an English player knows the league and doesn’t take as long to settle. Also “United tax” has always been higher than other English clubs. It’s what happens when for years you talk about how rich you are in the market. Klopp referred to us as a Disneyland for pity’s sake.

in regards to Lindelof though it’s nothing to do with nationality and everything to do with not being a good header and being weak physically. His 2 downfalls which are fairly important in English football because it’s all about winning the first ball and contesting everything.

let’s not try and make this something that it’s not

Last edited:

lost7

Top notch performance, but Varane should start next game no questions asked

Ekeke

Great pass for Fernandes. Didnt have a lot to do at the back and was fine with what was needed, which was pretty much 5 clearances and 3 headers. Leeds werent very impressive and Lindelof is absolutely fine in a game like that

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Lindelof is not equal, Maguire is better CB. Lindelof is also decent/good CB and good enough to be part of squad.

Kag

Watching 5ft tall Adam Armstrong bully him out of play for a corner with three minutes to go was one of the today’s least surprising events.

He’s a fanny. Granted, if his goalkeeper wasn’t such a fanny also then he may have been spared his blushes. Playing in front of a coward rooted to his line can’t be much fun.

The return of Varane (and Henderson) can’t come quickly enough.

PoTMS

Watching 5ft tall Adam Armstrong bully him out of play for a corner with three minutes to go was one of the today’s least surprising events.

He’s a fanny. Granted, if his goalkeeper wasn’t such a fanny also then he may have been spared his blushes. Playing in front of a coward rooted to his line can’t be much fun.

Not sure. Do you think Varane will have had enough time to bed in yet to deal with the brutal demands of the Premier League like our warrior Victor? I think another month or so on the sidelines will do it.

BainthaBrakk

That and a poor pass were his only mistakes. Look elsewhere in the backline for more worrying performances.

criticalanalysis

Pretty average, but waaay better than his CB partner.
This. These are the kind of performances I see from him, where I think people say 'he was Maguire's equal or was a better player during the first 18 months' i.e it's not a badge of honour or a plus point for him like he's a superior player though, when it's more of the case that 'he wasn't worse'. No excusing Maguire's performance today of course.

Didn't do much wrong I guess but not much right or was dominant in any shape or form. Decent placeholder at best.

Last edited:

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Awful on the ball. Takes an age to play a side ways pass letting Southampton press the telegraphed receiver easily.

The chance Maguire gave away all started from him pointing for 5 seconds before playing it towards the Southampton press.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
What a way to go out. Here's to hoping for a new start on the right side of defence with Varane taking over from here...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There was a point where he was running up the pitch with the ball and decided to do a complete 180 and pass back to De Gea. He cant be starting any more.

tob

How is it that we're talking about Lindelöf's performance when his cb partner, and our team captain, was on par with a couple others as our worst player on the pitch today?

izec

How is it that we're talking about Lindelöf's performance when his cb partner, and our team captain, was on par with a couple others as our worst player on the pitch today?
Because we know Maguire will be up there in a couple of weeks, and Lindelöf will be Lindelöf. That is why we bought Varane.

Now Ole only needs to have courage to play an established and experienced class CB from the start and stop fannying around like we just signed a 17 year old from League One.

There was a point where he was running up the pitch with the ball and decided to do a complete 180 and pass back to De Gea. He cant be starting any more.
That happens when the midfielder you want to pass the ball forward to is actually hanging out behind you.

jesperjaap

Yes Lindelof who has progressed to decent was barely average today, Maguire along with Bissaka were absolutely shocking as were a few others.....people thinking Fred is good enough is just beyond me. I know he has improved but for me he must be one of the worst buys we have done considering the fee......he is more average at best as a central midfielder than Lindelof is a centre back. A Braziian with average technique dribbling and shckingly bad range and consistency of passing.

I dont mind Lindelof as a squad option, shouldnt be starting though

tob

Because we know Maguire will be up there in a couple of weeks, and Lindelöf will be Lindelöf. That is why we bought Varane.

Now Ole only needs to have courage to play an established and experienced class CB from the start and stop fannying around like we just signed a 17 year old from League One.
But today Maguire almost cost us the game. He was so slow in his movements and in his head. He was no captain today.
The tread on Maguire should be more active than this one. But somehow it's not.

criticalanalysis

But today Maguire almost cost us the game. He was so slow in his movements and in his head. He was no captain today.
The tread on Maguire should be more active than this one. But somehow it's not.
There's almost two pages of comments most of which are criticising his performance and there's 10-15 replies in this one :confused:

Andersons Dietician

2nd game in a row he’s been the better of the two CB’s. Clearly not sweating Varane watching on. Covered Maguires ass a good few times and had a pretty good game.

Varane around town

I think Lindelof has been very impressive.

It can't be easy starting your 4th season at a club and knowing that you'll no longer be a starter. Yet, he's been impressive and he's been better than Maguire as of yet.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
Again better than Maguire. Still everyone se him as your 3rd choice, behind Maguire. Again, Maguires nationality and him being captain is obviously playing a big part and makes him harder to bench,

MadMike

Again better than Maguire. Still everyone se him as your 3rd choice, behind Maguire. Again, Maguires nationality and him being captain is obviously playing a big part and makes him harder to bench,
Or.. or... Maybe people aren't judging either off of the first two games of the new season alone, but from the longer sample of all of last season where Maguire was clearly better than Lindelof.

Also when Lindlelof was not picked last season the defence still functioned. When Maguire got injured the defence just collapsed.

Perhaps racism is not the answer for any question you're not immediately sure how to answer.... Swede from Sweden.

Juanito

Supports
Chelsea
I am usually in lindelofs corner but he was truly horrible today. He looked very happy settling with “as long as I don’t feck up it’s all good”. He had no impact whatsoever on the game and that is not good enough for a central defender in a team with title aspirations. Saying he was better than HM just because he made no obvious errors and HM did is not fair. HM at least tried to have an impact.

Also had some horrible decisions on passing in the last ten for example when Matic lost the ball when Lindelof decided to against the obvious choice of playing to the right putting Matic under pressure. Caused lost momentum, pressure and time.

And I am also a Swede from Sweden…

golden_blunder

Staff
Not you again. You’re the only one making it about nationality because surprise surprise you’re Swedish

Mickson

A captain that doesn't start for his club... What a strange choice. Honestly if the Swedish coach doesn't know we bought Varane, or if he thinks Lindelof will play ahead of Varane or Maguire he's either lazy or delusional.
The former Swedish captain played in the second-highest Swedish division, where he barely played due to injuries and was one of the worst players in the league when they got relegated the season before, and still got picked as captain and got picked to the Euro squad. So I imagine the coach will not care very much about Lindelof's playing time at Manchester United.

Status
Not open for further replies.