Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
How is it that we're talking about Lindelöf's performance when his cb partner, and our team captain, was on par with a couple others as our worst player on the pitch today?
Because Lindelof does this type of performance more often than Maguire

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The former Swedish captain played in the second-highest Swedish division, where he barely played due to injuries and was one of the worst players in the league when they got relegated the season before, and still got picked as captain and got picked to the Euro squad. So I imagine the coach will not care very much about Lindelof's playing time at Manchester United.
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have to some insight on Elanga's chances of getting into the senior squad for the international break?

Ekeke

Again better than Maguire. Still everyone se him as your 3rd choice, behind Maguire. Again, Maguires nationality and him being captain is obviously playing a big part and makes him harder to bench,
Maguire had a poor game. He's usually much better than that and we can count on him to be that way in 7 out of 10 matches

This was a normal Lindelof game, where he was at best slightly better. We can count on him to be below par in 7 out of 10 matches

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Seen it a few times now where he’s trying to shepherd the ball out for a goal kick and ends up conceding a corner. Needs to be stronger. He is a good player though, great back up choice.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
Or.. or... Maybe people aren't judging either off of the first two games of the new season alone, but from the longer sample of all of last season where Maguire was clearly better than Lindelof.

Also when Lindlelof was not picked last season the defence still functioned. When Maguire got injured the defence just collapsed.

Perhaps racism is not the answer for any question you're not immediately sure how to answer.... Swede from Sweden.
I never said that Maguire has not been the better player than Lindelof in total the last years. My only point has been that you have a more favorable view on Maguire than on Lindelof. I am actually chocked that this point is so controversial for you guys. As a non-english football-supporter, it is almost a known fact that english supporters have a biased view on english football and english players. Maybe Maguire is the more reasonable choice if you look at the season as a whole, but this does not change the fact that Lindelof needs to be a lot better than Maguire to take the place next to Varane. In other words, when Lindelof and Maguire plays equally bad, Lindelof is more criticized. You can also think about it in terms of transfer fees. A english player will always be worth more than a equally good non-english player, . It does not matter if the player is danish, swedish, spanish, you english supporters and english teams rate english players higher. And obviously this has nothing to do with racism, it about nations are naturally biased towards their own players. Nothing special, or even strange at all, just a fact. So claiming that my position is saying it is about racism is just other nonsense.

MattofManchester

Seen it a few times now where he’s trying to shepherd the ball out for a goal kick and ends up conceding a corner. Needs to be stronger. He is a good player though, great back up choice.
Would probably help if he could trust the man in goal, I imagine.

Eugenius

I never said that Maguire has not been the better player than Lindelof in total the last years. My only point has been that you have a more favorable view on Maguire than on Lindelof. I am actually chocked that this point is so controversial for you guys. As a non-english football-supporter, it is almost a known fact that english supporters have a biased view on english football and english players. Maybe Maguire is the more reasonable choice if you look at the season as a whole, but this does not change the fact that Lindelof needs to be a lot better than Maguire to take the place next to Varane. In other words, when Lindelof and Maguire plays equally bad, Lindelof is more criticized. You can also think about it in terms of transfer fees. A english player will always be worth more than a equally good non-english player, . It does not matter if the player is danish, swedish, spanish, you english supporters and english teams rate english players higher. And obviously this has nothing to do with racism, it about nations are naturally biased towards their own players. Nothing special, or even strange at all, just a fact. So claiming that my position is saying it is about racism is just other nonsense.
Two words: Smalling & Jones

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m not English. I keep telling you it’s because Lindelof is missing 2 key things for the PL - heading ability and strength. They are crucial for cbs. Maguire has them hence he will play.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
While I agree that people are in general biased towards their countrymen I don't think this is much of a factor when it comes to Maguire and Lindelöf. Pontus Jansson reached near cult status at Leeds and he did that because he's hard as feck and never backed away from any challenge, he played his heart out every single game and that is the sort of thing football fans in general and I guess English fans in particular love to see.

Same thing with Vidic and Stam at United, they were both loved for being fearless and a bit ruthless as well. Lindelöf is none of things, he comes across as passive and a bit weak and no one no matter the nationality wants that from a CB.

elmo

Players who play better consistently gets more leeway when they have a bad game. What a travesty.

MattofManchester

I always feel that ball-playing wise, Lindelof is better and is largely underrated in that regard.

However, Maguire is the much better defender as long as pace isn't involved.

United in sin

He's having a much better start to the season than Maguire. It actually would be unfair to drop him against Wolves IMO and I'm not a massive fan of his

elmo

He's having a much better start to the season than Maguire. It actually would be unfair to drop him against Wolves IMO and I'm not a massive fan of his
Difference is that you know this is the best that Lindelof will play and it's still underwhelming whereas Maguire can play at a higher level once he's match fit.

United in sin

Difference is that you know this is the best that Lindelof will play and it's still underwhelming whereas Maguire can play at a higher level once he's match fit.
I don't disagree but they are currently at similar levels of fitness surely, based on being given the same amount of time off after the Euros if I'm not mistaken

Foxbatt

I’m not English. I keep telling you it’s because Lindelof is missing 2 key things for the PL - heading ability and strength. They are crucial for cbs. Maguire has them hence he will play.
This I entirely agree with you. It doesn't make him a worse player. Maybe in Spain or in another EU country he may be better than Maguire.

Jev

Does anyone feel like trying him out as a DM? Watching Fred today, and Matic in the last game, it feels like it can't really get much worse right now. Lindelöf is a solid ball-carrier, a decent passer (with the odd fantastic through ball as against Leeds), and is much better at shielding the ball-carrier than Fred. Worth a try considering how poor our current options are?

Someone

Something
Is there a universe where he could be tested in midfield. Fergie used to experiment there a lot.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Does anyone feel like trying him out as a DM? Watching Fred today, and Matic in the last game, it feels like it can't really get much worse right now. Lindelöf is a solid ball-carrier, a decent passer (with the odd fantastic through ball as against Leeds), and is much better at shielding the ball-carrier than Fred. Worth a try considering how poor our current options are?
No, can’t head and he’d backpedal so far we’d end up playing 3 cbs

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Is there a universe where he could be tested in midfield. Fergie used to experiment there a lot.
If you suggest it then everyone will call you stupid and say solskjaer is a good manager and that similar to klopp/guardiola.

Gandalf

If we don't sign anyone then he certainly could not be worse than the current options. He has decent pace and does a lot of the defensive work well with just the occasional issue with his physicality and as has been mentioned he is levels above Fred as a passer.

KennyBurner

The problem with this is the same problem he has for us in defense. He isnt aggressive enough to occupy the role. He will also have to play passes in 360 angles and not the usual 180. Its a lot to ask.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I don't a lot of posters on the caf. They come up with the stupidest ideas. They come up out of thin air ideas for players to play in positions they have NEVER played in. It's happened so often. Lindelof has never played there, never shown any inkling he can play there and yet some geniuses on here think he should?

AneRu

If we don't sign anyone then he certainly could not be worse than the current options. He has decent pace and does a lot of the defensive work well with just the occasional issue with his physicality and as has been mentioned he is levels above Fred as a passer.
Truth, our midfield situation is so bad that trying him there isn't the worst idea. Let's not kid ourselves, we have no midfield and he is a better passer than McFred. If we don't sign someone then we should try him, definitely!

Jev

I don't a lot of posters on the caf. They come up with the stupidest ideas. They come up out of thin air ideas for players to play in positions they have NEVER played in. It's happened so often. Lindelof has never played there, never shown any inkling he can play there and yet some geniuses on here think he should?
He's mentioned himself in an interview that he started his career as a midfielder. Genius.

Giggsyking

He must be tested as DM. I know its not Fifa, but cant stand Fred or Mctominay at the moment.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He's mentioned himself in an interview that he started his career as a midfielder. Genius.
Kids football is not the same as adult football. McTominay used to be an attacking player but no one would want him to start in attacking midfield or as a forward. Likewise so did Wan-Bissaka. Lindelof would be an awful DM for us. The same problems of heading and aggression he has at CB will plague him in midfield. You also have to better on the ball to play there. He hardly shows he's a ball playing cb most of the time for us.

Jev

Kids football is not the same as adult football. McTominay used to be an attacking player but no one would want him to start in attacking midfield or as a forward. Likewise so did Wan-Bissaka. Lindelof would be an awful DM for us. The same problems of heading and aggression he has at CB will plague him in midfield. You also have to better on the ball to play there. He hardly shows he's a ball playing cb most of the time for us.
Yeah, Fred is really killing those headers. Seriously, you act as if a player has never gotten a new position before. It's hardly a revolutionary idea.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He must be tested as DM. I know its not Fifa, but cant stand Fred or Mctominay at the moment.
Jeez, a player who is afraid to make tackles is definitely far from what we need there, his ability on the ball is also decent because he's playing from the deep, but he often pass to heels and underhits passes too, can't imagine him ever dictating tempo. Stupid idea. let him on the bench as a third option where he belongs..

It's up there with the worst on level with wanting AWB as a CB.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why ignore the other big dominant headers Varane made?
He made some fabulous headers. I thought he had a good game and he's a definite upgrade on Lindelof. Doesn't detract one bit from my point though.

Giggsyking

He played in midfield before.

Status
Not open for further replies.