Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefly

There was an interview with a member of Jose's staff few weeks ago about his time here, can't remember ho it was. They talked a little about Victor and Jose rated Victor very high, a united super star kinda, one of top CB in world. Not sure if that changed or if he has lowered his expectations nowadays.

Foxbatt

He does and there's nothing wrong with that. Some of the best defenders prefer to avoid tackles where possible. If you get a tackle wrong you're out of the game.
He was in a no win situation for the first goal. Why was it that he had to deal with two players all by himself?
Also why doesn't he make use of his long passing more often? He doesn't need to pass it back to Maguire. He has much better passing ability.

Ekeke

There was an interview with a member of Jose's staff few weeks ago about his time here, can't remember ho it was. They talked a little about Victor and Jose rated Victor very high, a united super star kinda, one of top CB in world. Not sure if that changed or if he has lowered his expectations nowadays.

He was in a no win situation for the first goal. Why was it that he had to deal with two players all by himself?
Also why doesn't he make use of his long passing more often? He doesn't need to pass it back to Maguire. He has much better passing ability.
Because Rashford (i would need to watch it back to be sure) didn't track his man.

You can only make a long pass if there is somebody making a run into a channel to receive it. Rashford is the only player we have who ever does that.

Foxbatt

Because Rashford (i would need to watch it back to be sure) didn't track his man.

You can only make a long pass if there is somebody making a run into a channel to receive it. Rashford is the only player we have who ever does that.
You are right. It was Rashford. I mean people even speculating that Lindelof should have marked two players is madness.

TSE123

For his own sake Roma is a good move. United has unfortunatley become the club where talent go to die.

MattofManchester

Would it really be the worst idea to try him at DM?

He has excellent passing range, his positioning is about as average as our current "makeshift DMs", so really, shouldn't it be considered?

OsloIsRed

Would it really be the worst idea to try him at DM?

He has excellent passing range, his positioning is about as average as our current "makeshift DMs", so really, shouldn't it be considered?
I agree with you it is worth trying it. We should obviously not try it against Liverpool. The timing for trying to play him as a DM might not be the best overall since we have pretty tough games the coming month.

In worst case he do not work as a DM and he can go back to being our 3rd/2nd CB. In the best case we have found a hidden gem that might help us.

Based Adnan

Says it all when he's not even been all that but has still been several levels above Maguire

lex talionis

Was actually decent today. Not great, but levels better than his his fellow “defenders” today.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I hate to say this as I think he’s not good enough to be here either but with Varane out he’s become our best defender.saying that I thought he wasn’t very good today; but better than the others which isn’t really saying much
And if him and Maguire don’t stop that bloody sideways passing between them instead of goal kicks I swear my head will explode

TSE123

Hard to say who was ‘good’ when there was total colapse all around. But nothing big to blame him for.
should without the shadow of a doubt start with varane when he is fit!

Mike_Gustav

Glad that others now see the shortcomings of Maguire. Victor has mostly received a negative response while Maguire has done well. If I had to choose between the two, it would be Victor 7 days a week. I'm 100% sure that if Maguire was not English, the criticism would be much harsher.

MattofManchester

Amazing that he was holding his side of the pitch, and for some reason, Maguire found it necessary to move as close to him as humanly possible.

Best of the terrible.

Ekeke

Wasnt the reason we lost today. Dont rate him, but I guess he did his job as a backup CB. The only problem is we didnt have another one to sub on for Maguire

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Glad that others now see the shortcomings of Maguire. Victor has mostly received a negative response while Maguire has done well. If I had to choose between the two, it would be Victor 7 days a week. I'm 100% sure that if Maguire was not English, the criticism would be much harsher.
Don’t bring nationality into it, we all just want to see the best team.

TSE123

Don’t bring nationality into it, we all just want to see the best team.
When it comes to how they are rated and treated by media and many supporters nationality has everything to do with it!
Its not particularly strange, simple psychology. But doesnt mean it has no effect.

kiristao

Good game. He is the perfect fit in a back 3. He can rely on the other 2 to handle the high balls while he deals with the stuff on the floor and also can be the one that brings the ball out or makes the long pass to the forward.

He can rely on the other 2 to handle the high balls while he deals with the stuff on the floor
Lindelof's been very good in the air this season.

Averaging 2.83 aerial duels won per game at an 83.3% win rate.

For comparison, Maguire's at 3.51 and 75%. Varane with 3 at 62.5%.

TSE123

Good game again. Has been written off by many way too early!
I think United should stick with 3 CB now for a while (even against “easier” opposition).

Andersons Dietician

There were moments today where he showed how good of a footballer he is. He took a ball out of the sky like it was nothing and killed it first time. Seems much more confident to step forward with Varane there and to boot put in a pretty strong defensive performance. He’s been the best CB this season followed by Varane who hasn’t really had the chance of a lengthy run yet. But the 3 of them looked pretty solid and there were even signs of life coming from Maguire.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
We have three ball playing CB on the pitch tonight. I love it. Far cry from the days of Jones, Smalling and Blind :D

Lindelof, Varane and Maguire in a three makes us pretty solid. Here’s hoping that Liverpool game is a wake up call for this team.

Trequarista10

One of the players who benefits the most from playing 3 CBs. His quality on the ball is very useful.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Considering how we've been defensively this season I know it sounds weird nut I'd say he is indeed proving himself to be a fine player. Was completely ridiculed and written off before the season but seemingly doesn’t give a crap.

Foxbatt

There were moments today where he showed how good of a footballer he is. He took a ball out of the sky like it was nothing and killed it first time. Seems much more confident to step forward with Varane there and to boot put in a pretty strong defensive performance. He’s been the best CB this season followed by Varane who hasn’t really had the chance of a lengthy run yet. But the 3 of them looked pretty solid and there were even signs of life coming from Maguire.
Hallelujah! He has been resurrected? :D

TSE123

Maybe decided on Roma? Maguire will forever have the CB spot…?

Status
Not open for further replies.