Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I was okay that he made that mistake. But more worried about his recovery attempt. Watkins isn't exactly a Messi and he got better of this guy quite easily. He should never have given the striker an opportunity to shoot with his right.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I mostly agree but at the moment prefer Lindelof to Maguire. I prefer Bailly to both of them a little rundown of my preferences below.

1. Varane
2. Bailly
3. Jones (if he's fit)
4. Lindelof
5 Maguire
This. Too bad our worst CB is the captain and we're letting our 2nd best CB go.

A-man

To be honest , Varane hasn't proved anything yet. Infact he has been as careless as Lindelof this season.

All of our CBs inconsistent.
Wouldn’t call any of them careless. Lindelof made this mistake in the FA cup, didn’t lead to goal and we kept a clean sheet. Varane made that big mistake against Newcastle, which cost us a goal and the game. I don’t really remember any other big feckups from those two this season. I think Maguire was good for most parts last season, but this season… he has cost us more points than any other individual player. He’s been involved in most conceded goals.

Raven

Comes back after covid, his child going to hospital and getting subbed off after potential heart problems, shows rustiness, for pretty much the first time this season, and the dog pile starts again. Some people are so cretinous.

TSE123

Exactly this!
Its easy to just say that a certain players made loads of mistakes, bit providing no evidence of it.

Victors been pretty consistent in my opinion. Varane the same. Defenders making mistakes (especially after not having played for a while or when partnering new cbs all the time has to be expected).

A-man

Defensively he was wry good today, except for the second goal where he pushed forward and opened up behind him. I expect him to take more responsibility going forward however, with both carries and passing. Overall I think him and Varane are our best CB pair atm.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Played well until he threw the lead away for us.

WHY on earth is he going out to the half way line to follow his striker?!

He ends up leaving a gaping hole in our defence that we concede from.

Ironic that he's usually the most passive player in the world, the one time he tries to be aggressive it backfires.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Ironic that he's usually the most passive player in the world, the one time he tries to be aggressive it backfires.
True but it shouldn't have been a problem as we had plenty of players back to cover. It was Matic, unsurprisingly, who got absolutely rinsed trying to cut out the pass.

A more mobile midfield would be delightful.

Last edited:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Yep. Can't even jog back with any kind of pace.

Disastrous.

Adam-Utd

True but it shouldn't have been a problem as we had plenty of players back to cover. It was Matic, unsurprisingly, who got absolutely rinsed trying to cut out the pass.

A more mobile midfield would be delightful.
The sooner both of them are out of the team the better.

But yes asking Matic to actually move and cover a channel is suicidal in itself.

I'm so fed up of this team.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Iceman my ass, if anything he's a fecking snowman, criminal for the second goal, I wish we could see what was going through his head when he pushed to the halfway line

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah, he did well again. Having a very good season.
Is this a piss take?

Lindelof making the wrong decision to step out cost us the 2nd goal. Last game he had a stinker on him as well.

He's better than Maguire in the piss poor form he's been in this season and that's about it.

He's starting on ability right now and that just shows how bad our CB options are.

Andersons Dietician

It’s funny, half the people that criticise him normally base their opinion off of him not being aggressive enough. Tries to be aggressive and win the ball back early, doesn’t work out and now people asking what is he thinking.

Apart from that one questionable moment even though there was plenty of cover behind him he showed he’s better than Maguire and has been for a long time to me. Thought he and Varane looked quite good and like they could develop a good partnership.

There was a moment in last night game where he read the danger got across and made the block which was top class defending. Hopefully Varane can stay fit and these two can continue to build on something that looks like quite a promising possible partnership.

Adam-Utd

It’s funny, half the people that criticise him normally base their opinion off of him not being aggressive enough. Tries to be aggressive and win the ball back early, doesn’t work out and now people asking what is he thinking.

Apart from that one questionable moment even though there was plenty of cover behind him he showed he’s better than Maguire and has been for a long time to me. Thought he and Varane looked quite good and like they could develop a good partnership.

There was a moment in last night game where he read the danger got across and made the block which was top class defending. Hopefully Varane can stay fit and these two can continue to build on something that looks like quite a promising possible partnership.
There's a difference between always backing off, not putting a foot in - and then running after your man into midfield and leaving a gaping hole.

Can you seriously not tell the difference? that giant gap he left allowed their midfielder to run off Matic into the channel and get an easy cross.

You might not like to admit it but he made a huge mistake. If Maguire did that you'd all be screaming how clueless he is.

As you say though, up until 60 minutes he was doing well.

United in sin

Another weak performance from Lindelof. He was solid in the first half but fell to pieces when Villa turned the heat up.

TSE123

He had a good game overall, but was caught out of position on the second goal which was unfortunate, because the ball deflected off fred (who by the way is caught WAY to high up the pitch leaving a hole in midfield to be filled) on the pass to the man he was marking. After that Matic didnt follow his man, deGea didnt cover his 6 yard box, varane failed to intercept and telles forgot to follow his man.
Except for that mistake he played well. Him and Varane will be a good CB pairing given some time.

Ridiculous how all the haters come crawling out of the woodworks pretending that his whole performance was bad and that he alone was to blame for the goal. Or that he has been poor all season.

did all you haters notice the first AV goal? Varane/Fred mistake. Varane out?

Last edited:

criticalanalysis

He had a good game overall, but was caught out of position on the second goal which was unfortunate, because the ball deflected off fred (who by the way is caught WAY to high up the pitch leaving a hole in midfield to be filled) on the pass to the man he was marking. After that Matic didnt follow his man, deGea didnt cover his 6 yard box, varane failed to intercept and telles forgot to follow his man.
Except for that mistake he played well. Him and Varane will be a good CB pairing given some time.

Ridiculous how all the haters come crawling out of the woodworks pretending that his whole performance was bad and that he alone was to blame for the goal. Or that he has been poor all season.

did all you haters notice the first AV goal? Varane/Fred mistake. Varane out?
42 of your 100 posts in this entire forum are in this single thread and you're shouting about haters with agendas?

:lol:

TSE123

42 of your 100 posts in this entire forum are in this single thread and you're shouting about haters with agendas?

:lol:
haha, :lol: No agenda. Its no secret I like VNL and think he is the type of defender United, and any modern team, needs. I have "confessed" to this earlier. Does it affect my view of him. Quite likely. Just like many other posters have already decided he is a write-off and that's all they can see.

I also think he is being unfairly assessed by know-it-alls who are - I would assume based on life experience, their comments and a fair bit of prejudice - completely unable to read a game or judge a player on other things than the blatantly obvious (goals, assists, tackles etc.) I try with my comments (most of the time) to not be overly biased or polarized, and to explain why I have a certain opinion, which is more than can be said for the people (for short called "haters" :)) who simply write "sh*t today", "time to get rid of him" or "he is at best a championship defender".

Lindelof is able to read the game, he is 95% of the time positionally correct, he is able to hold the ball calmly and can pass short and long range. Has he made mistakes? Yes.

I would be much more active in many threads, but am unfortunately limited to three posts per day which means I have to prioritize. If you are wondering, I have prioritized entirely based on emotion. Which previous post have I most agreed with or disagreed with. Lindelof happens to be one of the most polarized threads. But I have other favorites/players I don't particularly like.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

There's a difference between always backing off, not putting a foot in - and then running after your man into midfield and leaving a gaping hole.

Can you seriously not tell the difference? that giant gap he left allowed their midfielder to run off Matic into the channel and get an easy cross.

You might not like to admit it but he made a huge mistake. If Maguire did that you'd all be screaming how clueless he is.

As you say though, up until 60 minutes he was doing well.
Oh I can I call what you’ve described as Maguire defending. Running after a man in to no mans land being out of position and all hell breaking loose. But as Ive been told a 1000 times Harry Maguire is an incredible defender and being aggressive and going in to midfield is what it’s all about.

To be honest I also have no problem with Lindelof or any defender backing off at times. There is a time and place to put your foot in which Lindelof does. Top class defending is done by dictating what is happening and moving the opposition to where you are at your strongest. Be that just by stalling an attacking action for more back up or just ushering them in to a position where it’s harder for them to have an impact. These are things Lindelof does and when he really needs to he will put a foot in.

Iceman my ass, if anything he's a fecking snowman, criminal for the second goal, I wish we could see what was going through his head when he pushed to the halfway line
No defender does that of their own accord, they push up high because that's what the coach has told them to do.

PlayerOne

Our best defender all season….
Agreed and by quite a distance for me.

Been harsh on him but he has stepped up his game. Him and Varane make a good partnership, both good on the ball and both very composed. Hope Rangnick sticks to it.

I think it does help having Dalot's pace next to him on the right, who is better in the air than AWB.

MattofManchester

Seems to have overcome most of the weaknesses he's been associated with. Wasn't bullied by Toney, and was first to just about every header.

Nice to see from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.