Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenHeron

Some of sadler's stats he uses to back up his arguments are suspect to say the least but he's right in one regard, but possibly not for the reason he thinks.

It's true that we look a worse team when Maguire doesn't play. This was massively true at the end of last season as well as in Jan. But it's also true that Maguire has been largely poor when he does play. How can both be true?

Simply, he's a different defender to Varane and Lindelof. Maguire is the man who has to dominate the box aerially, go out to make the decisive tackles. Varane and Lindelof are the guys who hold their position, mop up loose balls, push runners into less dangerous positions and nip in when they have the chance. For comparison (and yes I know there's a gulf in standard but I'm talking about types of player), Maguire is your Vidic/Terry and Lindelof/Varane are your Ferdinand/Carvalho.

So while Lindelof and Varane are having decent seasons and Maguire isn't, playing both doesn't really work because neither is comfortable playing Maguire's role and dominating the box aerially. Hence even though he's gash, Maguire has to play unless Jones becomes an option there.

I once heard a commentator say that he thought Lindelof would be a top defender alongside Van Dijk or Dias - I'd agree with this. He's positionally good, he's excellent on the ball, he never gets dribbled past and he pushes attackers away from the dangerous areas. I'm more than happy with him at united especially as a squad player but even as a starter.

The problem is Maguire ATM. Also, unfortunately, the problem is we've nobody to replace Maguire.

Raven

No. The manager bottling it makes sense if the team was set out to be passive and contain. It was evident from playing Bruno and Pogba together with a strong front 3 that it wasnt the case. Moreover his post match is clear that the instructions was to show aggression and proactiveness on the ball with more vertical build up play.

The players were just shite yesterday. It happens. If they are constsntly shite then the instructions and coaching can be questioned. But our performances of late are not consistent with the one yesterday.
Not dropping Maguire and playing Lindelof out of position as a result is bottling it, in my view at least.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He gave it a good go but it's fair to say he's not a right back. Just a completely different way of playing, a lot more running that he's not used to.

You could see he was gassed by 60 minutes. I really don't see why we'd bother using him there over Dalot or AWB personally.

Sylar

He did fine, as good as expected tbh. It wasnt good overall, but it was surprising to see this tried in a big match like this.
I could understand if we were playing 3 cbs, and wing backs, or we had two RBs out injured and had no choice. But away CL tie like this? Crazy

Firefly

Played like a CB in RB position. Funny thing Ralf said he wanted more arial presence both offensive and defensive. Didn't really pan out haha.

A-man

Some of sadler's stats he uses to back up his arguments are suspect to say the least but he's right in one regard, but possibly not for the reason he thinks.

It's true that we look a worse team when Maguire doesn't play. This was massively true at the end of last season as well as in Jan. But it's also true that Maguire has been largely poor when he does play. How can both be true?

Simply, he's a different defender to Varane and Lindelof. Maguire is the man who has to dominate the box aerially, go out to make the decisive tackles. Varane and Lindelof are the guys who hold their position, mop up loose balls, push runners into less dangerous positions and nip in when they have the chance. For comparison (and yes I know there's a gulf in standard but I'm talking about types of player), Maguire is your Vidic/Terry and Lindelof/Varane are your Ferdinand/Carvalho.

So while Lindelof and Varane are having decent seasons and Maguire isn't, playing both doesn't really work because neither is comfortable playing Maguire's role and dominating the box aerially. Hence even though he's gash, Maguire has to play unless Jones becomes an option there.

I once heard a commentator say that he thought Lindelof would be a top defender alongside Van Dijk or Dias - I'd agree with this. He's positionally good, he's excellent on the ball, he never gets dribbled past and he pushes attackers away from the dangerous areas. I'm more than happy with him at united especially as a squad player but even as a starter.

The problem is Maguire ATM. Also, unfortunately, the problem is we've nobody to replace Maguire.
Sorry but it’s true that we as a team play worse without Maguire. Lindelof and Varane had never ever played together before but still we got 2 wins and 1 draw in the three matches they paired up. And this “collapse” last season when Maguire was injured, it’s simply not true. We had already secured top 4 and we rotated the team. Kids were starting. Yes we lost the EL final but hardly because of poor defence (1 goal conceded in 120 minutes). Our worst match at the end of the season was against Roma where Maguire played.

lex talionis

I actually was impressed by the shift Lindelof put in for us yesterday. He's obviously not a long term solution for us at RB, but while we were getting overrun in the first half having the de facto third CB saved our arses on a few occasions with timely interceptions. Everyone was shellshocked after the first whistle and I seriously doubt Dalot, whom I rate highly, would have been the exception.

Irwin99

I thought he was the only good player we had in the first half, playing in an unfavoured position. One vital block and some good tackles.

It's a VERY low bar but i'd say he's been one of our most consistent players this season.

united for life

I thought he was the only good player we had in the first half, playing in an unfavoured position. One vital block and some good tackles.

It's a VERY low bar but i'd say he's been one of our most consistent players this season.
totally agree mate. In principle, he had a bad game. This is not want we want to see from a right back (i mean in the game vs Atletico ), there is a lot more required in terms of forward runs and linking with players around him. Also, as a cb, the terrible form maguire is in has made lindelof look like a good defender. Like you said, he is consistent at least

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not dropping Maguire and playing Lindelof out of position as a result is bottling it, in my view at least.
That was a selection mistake not one with regard to how he wanted us to approach the game from kick off or playing style.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Played well. Would be an excellent third choice CB if our first choice CBs were both doing the business.

TSE123

Good game. Give him and Varane some time to build a good understanding. Keep Shaw far away from Varane and the starting 11 (at least until he is back to last years - mostly good - form.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
If you class Harry Maguire's performances this season as "doing the business" then you have much lower standards for our first choice CBs than I do.
Oh no certainly not. I was referring more to the Lindelof-Varane partnership which I think has been quite good recently. Certainly not our biggest issue right now.

I also edited my post as I think misread the intention of your original post

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Thought he was our best player tbh. I actually wasn't sure who his defensive partner was for the first 30 mins and Lindelof was doing it all.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yeah he was better than Varane yesterday and possibly for most of the season. Player of the year candidate.

SATA

Has grown a lot ever since his first season here when he was afraid of a bouncing high ball in the air. Hopefully he’ll be even better and stronger as he now reaches his prime as a defender. Maybe him being the national team captain has helped him as well

United in sin

If Maguire wasn't captain I'm sure Rangknick would utilize these two more often. We progress the ball much better and quicker from the back with this pairing. Varane plus Lindelof/Bailly is simply the way to go until an acquisition is made in the summer

Belisarius

If Maguire wasn't captain I'm sure Rangknick would utilize these two more often. We progress the ball much better and quicker from the back with this pairing. Varane plus Lindelof/Bailly is simply the way to go until an acquisition is made in the summer
I would like to see more of Varane / Lindelof in the centre of defence. I wonder if part of Lindelof's improved form is due to health. He was suffering with a bad back for a long time. He's played less recently and perhaps this has allowed him to rest his back and get healthy. Whatever the cause, he definitely looks good at the moment. I think we should make V/L the first choice pairing and perhaps rest Lindelof for Maguire when we're playing really tall teams that play a lot of high balls into the box. Certainly against City I think Lindelof's mobility makes him a much better option than Maguire.

That said, I would not like to see Bailly as 3rd choice. Rather Jones than Bailly.

United in sin

I would like to see more of Varane / Lindelof in the centre of defence. I wonder if part of Lindelof's improved form is due to health. He was suffering with a bad back for a long time. He's played less recently and perhaps this has allowed him to rest his back and get healthy. Whatever the cause, he definitely looks good at the moment. I think we should make V/L the first choice pairing and perhaps rest Lindelof for Maguire when we're playing really tall teams that play a lot of high balls into the box. Certainly against City I think Lindelof's mobility makes him a much better option than Maguire.

That said, I would not like to see Bailly as 3rd choice. Rather Jones than Bailly.
I agree overall but what's your issue with Bailly?

united for life

the fact that Maguire is captain should have nothing to do with whether he gets selected or not. This should be based on performances. Currently, a varane-lindelof partnership seems much better than a varane-maguire one. based on current form, lindelof should start ahead of maguire any day.

As for an acquisition in the summer, I doubt this will happen. whatever money we have should be spent on reinforcing our attack and a DM.

United in sin

the fact that Maguire is captain should have nothing to do with whether he gets selected or not. This should be based on performances. Currently, a varane-lindelof partnership seems much better than a varane-maguire one. based on current form, lindelof should start ahead of maguire any day.

As for an acquisition in the summer, I doubt this will happen. whatever money we have should be spent on reinforcing our attack and a DM.
The captaincy plays a huge part in selection, and his transfer fee as well. Surely you understand the politics that comes with that role. I agree that it shouldn't affect selection but it does. If Jones and Bailly (and it seems likely they might) leave we'll definitely be in for another center back.

united for life

The captaincy plays a huge part in selection, and his transfer fee as well. Surely you understand the politics that comes with that role. I agree that it shouldn't affect selection but it does. If Jones and Bailly (and it seems likely they might) leave we'll definitely be in for another center back.
that’s just sad

luffy7

He has fault for first goal too. he didnt need to get in and help, causing the other 2 defender against 3 man city players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Just think of the money we have wasted on Lindelof. Not just the transfer fee but the contract renewal. People will say he's a good defender and they'd be right. However, I can readily think of other good defenders the length of the Premier League who cost less and are paid less.

Status
Not open for further replies.