Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

The third goal today sums Lindelof up. Bruno makes a stupid mistake. Lindelof can see what's happened.
What should I do? he says.
I know, I'll jog a couple of paces to the 18 yard line, put my hands behind my back, then make myself as small as possible, duck and watch the ball fly pass me; then I'll stand for another few seconds with my hands behind my back.

If Lindelof was or wasn't playing it makes absolutely no difference to our defence. So instead of playing him put someone who would be aggessive towards the attacker, who could beat them in the air, who could block a shot, who could tackle them, who could position themselves to intercept.
Barely any top defenders actually defend like this, other than maybe the 'free man' in a back 3.

It's a fan delusion to want some madcap defender pressing every ball on the halfway line, flying into 50/50s and chasing the ball around for 90 minutes. We've sort of got one in Maguire and he's a walking disaster...emphasis on walking.

There's a reason coaches like Guardiola and Luis Enrique talk all the time about the importance of defending space, not men.

One of these defenders is Lindelof, one is Van Dijk, one is Marquinhos...2 of the best defenders in the world (and Van Dijk).

There's barely any difference in 'aggression' in any of the 3. There's not even a huge difference in their success rates in duels. Those aren't cherry picked defenders either. You can look at any of the widely acknowledged top defenders - Dias, Pau Torres, T.Silva...take your pick - and see exactly the same pattern. The biggest difference is, the others play in a defence of similarly competent and intelligent defenders.

Paul the Wolf

Barely any top defenders actually defend like this, other than maybe the 'free man' in a back 3.

It's a fan delusion to want some madcap defender pressing every ball on the halfway line, flying into 50/50s and chasing the ball around for 90 minutes. We've sort of got one in Maguire and he's a walking disaster...emphasis on walking.

There's a reason coaches like Guardiola and Luis Enrique talk all the time about the importance of defending space, not men.

One of these defenders is Lindelof, one is Van Dijk, one is Marquinhos...2 of the best defenders in the world (and Van Dijk).

There's barely any difference in 'aggression' in any of the 3. There's not even a huge difference in their success rates in duels. Those aren't cherry picked defenders either. You can look at any of the widely acknowledged top defenders - Dias, Pau Torres, T.Silva...take your pick - and see exactly the same pattern. The biggest difference is, the others play in a defence of similarly competent and intelligent defenders.
If you're trying to compare Lindelof with VVD or Maquinhos we really have got problems; You only highlighted one point, he doesn't do any of the others either. Lindelof is not an intelligent or competent defender in any way shape or form or do you not watch our games? Maguire shouldn't be in our team either but at least he does some of the other defensive tasks; You could put Lindelof with any good defender but it wouldn't make us better. He drags everyone down with him.

Bobski

The difference with guys like Van Dijk and Marquinhos is when they need to be aggressive, front foot defenders they can be, while Lindelof has one mode. I don't think fans want a hyperactive Phil Jones flying into challenges, they want someone that when it really matters actually makes an impact, and is not just a background picture to others celebrations.

izec

Not good enough, 5/10. He knows that if he needs to step up, he better does not, otherwise he will get found out how shite he is, so he stays anonymous and hides.

Paul the Wolf

Another masterclass of Lindelof defending
First Goal - scored by Diaz the player Lindelof was marking - I know let's play him offside - even though the play's on the other side of the pitch -- not only that I'll exaggerate my step forward so I"m at least 3 metres behind him. Jones says - where the f** are you going and tries to step up as well - then neither can get back. Good reading of the game Lindelof especially as you had the best view of it all.

Second Goal- Oh, I'm marking Mané , let's give him plenty of room so that he can turn and give an assist.

Third goal - Let's give a crap ball to Elanga and when the ball breaks put my hands behind my back, not try to close anyone down, not tackle anyone or even position myself to stop a cross.

Fourth goal - even though Dalot is on the outside covering nobody it doesn't occur to me run towards the middle where there could be danger but just jog a little and then when Salah is clean through pretend to sprint

A-man

Yeah, thought as much. Either way he's terrible and hopefully one of the first moved on under the new manager. Absolute nothing player who can hit a nice pass every so often. Weak both physically and mentally.
Doubt he’ll be the first to be moved on. Can see the opposite happen actually as he has several qualities that, at least theoretically, could fit EtH’s football. What I have both seen and read, EtH needs fluid movements at the back for his football to work. Lindelof is the CB at United with absolutely best movements without the ball. Also a player like Maguire is not suited to defend outside his box and can’t see how he will fit.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

The third goal today sums Lindelof up. Bruno makes a stupid mistake. Lindelof can see what's happened.
I know, I'll jog a couple of paces to the 18 yard line, put my hands behind my back, then make myself as small as possible, duck and watch the ball fly pass me; then I'll stand for another few seconds with my hands behind my back.
He did that so many times in his United career, I think that's his trademark move. I find it ridiculous that people haven't moticed this, what a coward.

Doubt he’ll be the first to be moved on. Can see the opposite happen actually as he has several qualities that, at least theoretically, could fit EtH’s football. What I have both seen and read, EtH needs fluid movements at the back for his football to work. Lindelof is the CB at United with absolutely best movements without the ball. Also a player like Maguire is not suited to defend outside his box and can’t see how he will fit.
Lindelöf is fuxking wank, if ETH depends on him, we’re fecked from the off.
Utterly shite, weak defender that often hides rather than defends, total shite since he arrived.
Because Maguire has a wank season, it’s lead people to imagine Lindelöf aint that bad, when he is, he’s absolutely terrible.

The first thing ETH will need is defenders that actively close space and press attackers hard,
Lindelöf can’t do this, he’d be turned and bullied at every step.

A-man

Lindelöf is fuxking wank, if ETH depends on him, we’re fecked from the off.
Utterly shite, weak defender that often hides rather than defends, total shite since he arrived.
Because Maguire has a wank season, it’s lead people to imagine Lindelöf aint that bad, when he is, he’s absolutely terrible.

The first thing ETH will need is defenders that actively close space and press attackers hard,
Lindelöf can’t do this, he’d be turned and bullied at every step.
I think you have got stuck on clichés here. He’s weak and hides and gets bullied. Yet we don’t see him get bullied more than anybody else and this hiding thing, what is that? You want him to challenge for more aerials? Clear the ball or often? Tackle? Or what do you mean? Anyhow, his stats in that regard are not very different compared to our other CBs. He challenges the same amount of defensive aerials, clears the ball etc.

We will see, but I think he’ll be a better fit for the new coach than the other CBs.

Paul the Wolf

He did that so many times in his United career, I think that's his trademark move. I find it ridiculous that people haven't moticed this, what a coward.

Don't forget the incessant pointing, especially at the player he's supposed to be marking. hair getting in his eyes. My favourite trick of his is when he manages to be the furthest player away from the ball when it nestles in the back of our net, quite some achievement for a centre-back.

If you're a striker, say like Rashford, if you could chose a defender to play against, you would chose Lindelof. Gives you plenty of room, easily outmuscled, leave him for dead in a sprint, awareness zero so you can fool him into taking ineffective positions.
Actually, this may explain something else. Rangnick says Rashford's good in training but awful in a match. Wonder if he's training against Lindelof.

TSE123

Him and varane will become good with some time together. Both did ok today.
Anyone watching the game SURELY can see that its a midfield issue!? (And i have to add today a wing back issue).
Easy to say “3 goals; CBs were rubbish!”.
Of course things could have been different, maybe they could have done things better, but the recurring issue is defensive ability of the midfield!

jesperjaap

"good squad option! i hear time and time again, or consistent defender.

He has actually improved this season, but has been diabolical most of his time here. Is just so so weak in certain areas of his game that let him down as a centre back. Felt the same about Blind when he was here, he was better than Lindelof and would walk into our side as a adefensive midfielder too.

How Lindelof has played so many games, is pretty much somehwere between 2nd 3rd choice as a centre back here is terrible. He is a 4th choice centre back....at best

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Usually in the opposite direction to the ball. He’s been found wanting in this league. We need to be ruthless with him and maguire who has his own problems, not physical like Lindelof but mentally not strong enough. Neither of them are leaders

Brighton 4:0 Man Utd

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Terrible, terrible player. Hope we get him tied down to a new contract so Bayern and Barca don't try tempt him.

Bobski

Lindelof showed us what he was in that first season were he defecated himself every-time he was on the pitch. Whey have we spent 5 years since pretending he is up to it. Yes, if it is nice and easy and he doesn't have to defend he can look a nice footballer, ping a pass, sweep up smoothly but when the pressure is on he is as ineffectual a defender as you could ever see at this level, and a spineless nothing in terms of leadership and character.

People have said Ten Hag will like him, he will work in his system but you need to do more than tidy passing and hide defensively surely? Anonymous for years, others take the blame, Smalling and Maguire mostly, while Lindelof sails on offering feck all.

Marwood

He'd be the first one out if it was down to me.

The absolute opposite of what a Manchester United player should be.

That arms behind the back thing is so incredibly irritating.

mewnew11

He did the exact same thing today for their first goal . Just a coward who is more concerned about his hair than football

Paul the Wolf

If this useless t!t is still in the team next season I give up. 5 years of absolute garbage - he'd be outmuscled in the under 5's, a snail could beat him in a sprint, positional awareness is totally absent - how can this chocolate fireguard ever have been considered as good enough to play for United. Please only one more match - hopefully he won't even play in that. Surely ten Hag won't want this waste of space.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Two goals conceeded because of his half arsed blocking and his arms behind his back special. I hope someone punches him in the face whenever he does that.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Sick of him. He’s been here 4 years, he’s not good enough. Why have we turned into a club that never gets rid of players we know aren’t of the required standard.

playing for United is winning the biggest lottery in football. You know you’re set until retirement no matter how you perform, they’ll keep giving new contracts out like a pedo hands out candy.

Irwin99

Defended him lots of times but i'm so sick of his passivity in defending.

izec

Always said he is shit. He is a midtable La Liga/Bundesliga defender at best. Not in a million years United CB.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was actually quite good for the first half of this season, but my god he's gone to shit in the second half. He's been almost as bad as he was in his first season here. Of course every other defender also looks like shit so maybe it's harsh to hold it against him too much.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Another one?? He's always been in my list of which players to get rid.

I said it before that this guy has got away too many times this season just because he hasn't been making errors like Maguire doesn't mean he plays decent because all he does is ball watching and running away from his responsibility to be a defender. He won't make mistakes if he doesn't do anything but ball watching and never there when you need him to defend.

united for life

Everyone seems to know he is below average except for the united managers. How he keeps getting minutes ahead of a fit bailly is beyond me

Red_toad

Everyone seems to know he is below average except for the united managers. How he keeps getting minutes ahead of a fit bailly is beyond me
Everyone really doesn’t, he has a core of supporters who claim he plays well if he has a pretty invisible game.

CloneMC16

I think he was good in the first half of the season. Well worth his place in the team, but he's been shit over the last couple months. Shocking stuff. He has largely not been good enough during his time here.

SAFMUTD

His contract runs out on summer 2024. We should sell him before that. This summer we have many holes so it won't be a priority but he doesn't have the quality to be here. Even as a squad option.

Status
Not open for further replies.