Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I guess at times even with the handicap of playing alongside Maguire he’s played well and shown that there is something there. It comes down to how people perceive a modern CB. I for sure think he can be improved upon but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go to a better team and do well.
He is probably just not physical enough for this league when we are as crap as we are defending as a team. He’d probably do well somewhere like a City or something.

This team is just terrible and needs a CTRL- ALT-DELETE
The team needs more than that, it needs a format c: and repartitioned

Lyng

Lindelof is completely average in possession despite people thinking otherwise. It doesn't make up for his lack of any defensive ability.
And yet he is still miles better on the ball than Maguire which tells you everything. None of them are good enough. And especially for Ten Hag's style of football.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
And yet he is still miles better on the ball than Maguire which tells you everything. None of them are good enough. And especially for Ten Hag's style of football.
He definitely isn't better on the ball than Maguire.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Hej! Long time no see

How’s he getting on as Swedish captain?
All good Gb busy with life hehe. Lindelöf does look better with the Swedish Nt since the football isn't as physical and he is better protected. He still crumbles when he needs to defend!

criticalanalysis

Don't agree with the idea that Lindelof is bad in possession. Literally one of Ole's 'go to tactics' was the Lindelof inch perfect pass over the top for Rashford in behind the defence and it did work often. The problem is he's so damn passive as a defender at times. The arms behind the back and the barest movement towards the incoming shot really fecking irritates.
One good long ball doesn't make a player good in possession.

Lindelof VERY often shirks responsibility of the ball when trying to play out from the back. He will receive it to feet just fine, see an opposition player within 10 yards and then nonchalantly play the ball to his full back, who has even less passing options and now has a player about 5 yards away. It's his go-to move or just give it back to De Gea for a long ball. He looks calms but does absolutely nothing with the ball. AWB has been a victim of this for many years and Dalot was the same yesterday; both are not great on the ball but they get little to no support from the player who is in the middle of the pitch and the whole field in front of him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
One good long ball doesn't make a player good in possession.

Lindelof VERY often shirks responsibility of the ball when trying to play out from the back. He will receive it to feet just fine, see an opposition player within 10 yards and then nonchalantly play the ball to his full back, who has even less passing options and now has a player about 5 yards away. It's his go-to move or just give it back to De Gea for a long ball. He looks calms but does absolutely nothing with the ball. AWB has been a victim of this for many years and Dalot was the same yesterday; both are not great on the ball but they get little to no support from the player who is in the middle of the pitch and the whole field in front of him.
This. His regular 5 yard passes to a boxed in right back are infuriating. Rarely the man that concedes possession but a big part of why we lose it.

Ekeke

Lindelof isn't good.

But the comparisons to Chris Smalling, a defender who struggles to pass the football in an era where more is required from defenders on the ball than ever before, do a diservice to the anti-Lindelof argument.
Better a CB who likes to defend but isnt a good passer than a CB who likes to pass but isnt a good defender

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Better a CB who likes to defend but isnt a good passer than a CB who likes to pass but isnt a good defender
Nah, because passing isn't separate from defending. If you're a liability on the ball in a side that tries to play out of defence, you're also a defensive liability. It's the sum total of what you offer in your team's style of play that counts. And for many top sides Lindelof would immediately be favoured over Smalling for that exact reason.

But the key point is that that those sides don't actually go with Lindelof just because he has basic technical competence, they go for any of a number of better CBs with that basic technical competence (or more).

That's why the Smalling comparisons flatter Lindelof. Having him as a reference point has always made Lindelof seem better on the ball than he actually was as Smalling was exceptionally poor in that regard. We shouldn't still be comparing him to a CB who was rightly deemed not good enough some three seasons ago, as if it was an either/or scenario.

CloneMC16

I mean, neither is a good option. Especially for a team that should be looking at winning trophies. Our players have to be good at both. Selling Smalling was a good decision. Replacing him with another player that has almost the opposite issues is a problem. We've just replaced one issue with another. Even with Smalling, we'd be no better off. How bad he was on the ball is just as big of a problem as how passive Lindelof is at defending.

Ekeke

Nah, because passing isn't separate from defending. If you're a liability on the ball in a side that tries to play out of defence, you're also a defensive liability. It's the sum total of what you offer in your team's style of play that counts. And for many top sides Lindelof would immediately be favoured over Smalling for that exact reason.

But the key point is that that those sides don't actually go with Lindelof just because he has basic technical competence, they go for any of a number of better CBs with that basic technical competence (or more).

That's why the Smalling comparisons flatter Lindelof. Having him as a reference point has always made Lindelof seem better on the ball than he actually was as Smalling was exceptionally poor in that regard. We shouldn't still be comparing him to a CB who was rightly deemed not good enough some three seasons ago, as if it was an either/or scenario.
Except he was never, ever a "liability" on the ball. He was never pressed into putting the ball past his own keeper, giving the ball to a striker with just the keeper to beat or lost the ball in the backline. He just played a simple passing game which is what Lindelof does too for 90% of the match and then he'll try a very nice long pass over the top which worked several times last season.

A liability would cost you. Smalling never cost us. He just gave the ball to better ball players which is exactly what you'd want him to do

Ekeke

I mean, neither is a good option. Especially for a team that should be looking at winning trophies. Our players have to be good at both. Selling Smalling was a good decision. Replacing him with another player that has almost the opposite issues is a problem. We've just replaced one issue with another. Even with Smalling, we'd be no better off. How bad he was on the ball is just as big of a problem as how passive Lindelof is at defending.
Winning trophies? :lol: With Lindelof defending like this we'll be lucky to qualify for the europa league let alone win a trophy. With Smalling that wasnt an issue

A-man

If he had this amazing attitude and went full blaze into headers and into challenges when they needed to be made and still didnt do enough that would be one thing. Because you could see the effort and maybe its just not going to work out. That would be a description of Blind when he first went to CB at United. You could see he had the attitude and will to want to challenge for the ball, he just wasnt very strong in the air. With Lindelof who is bigger and built bigger too you can almost always question his effort and strategy as well as his physicality.
Actually Lindelof challenges pretty much the same as the rest of our CBs in the air.
Maguire goes in to 3.7 aerial duels per game and Lindelof 3.3.
40% of Maguire’s aerials are offensive so if we only look at defensive aerial challenges Lindelof is actually challenging more.
Since you brought up Smalling again, he challenges 2.4 aerials per game so seems to have lost a bit in that department.

golden_blunder

Staff
Now, has anyone coming over to my side yet or am I still standing alone muttering to anyone who passes that Lindelof is absolute rubbish? He’s not a defender for this level. Im not sure what his level is. Perhaps he could hide in Spain

golden_blunder

Staff
Actually Lindelof challenges pretty much the same as the rest of our CBs in the air.
Maguire goes in to 3.7 aerial duels per game and Lindelof 3.3.
40% of Maguire’s aerials are offensive so if we only look at defensive aerial challenges Lindelof is actually challenging more.
Since you brought up Smalling again, he challenges 2.4 aerials per game so seems to have lost a bit in that department.
Or does not have to Italy?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Now, has anyone coming over to my side yet or am I still standing alone muttering to anyone who passes that Lindelof is absolute rubbish? He’s not a defender for this level. Im not sure what his level is. Perhaps he could hide in Spain
I've never rated Lindelof and I never will.

Ekeke

Looks like a CB who doesn't want to be a CB, same as most weeks. This week it cost him a bit more because Zaha was running at him with his right foot ready to shoot and Lindelof's will to not want to defend allowed Zaha to do everything he wanted and put the ball in the bottom corner. A lot of the time he gets away with his mentality because we dont directly concede from it. This week we did.

Bobski

Looks like a CB who doesn't want to be a CB, same as most weeks. This week it cost him a bit more because Zaha was running at him with his right foot ready to shoot and Lindelof's will to not want to defend allowed Zaha to do everything he wanted and put the ball in the bottom corner. A lot of the time he gets away with his mentality because we dont directly concede from it. This week we did.
Who was the person on here who argued that his unwillingness to block shots was smart defending as it reduced the risk of deflections beating the keeper?

He plays like a sweeper expecting those in front to do all the actual coal face defending, he can just tidy up when it breaks down.

criticalanalysis

Awful defender.

His 'best' attribute is that he defends space well. Yes, read that again, he defends space.

golden_blunder

Staff
Who was the person on here who argued that his unwillingness to block shots was smart defending as it reduced the risk of deflections beating the keeper?

He plays like a sweeper expecting those in front to do all the actual coal face defending, he can just tidy up when it breaks down.
Maybe @A-man?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I gave him props for being good-ish for the first half of this season, but he's completely shit the bed in the second half. He's been almost as bad as he was in his first season where he looked like a school kid who somehow wandered into the team. He's obviously never been good enough for the level that we want to be, but his current form is making me question my belief that he'd be a good #3 central defender providing back-up for the main two.

Red_toad

Your criticise Lindelof and simply get labeled a Maguire lover. For me he’s been a poor replacement for Blind. He shouldn’t be starting next season and should be shown the door once we’ve replaced his position in the squad.

CloneMC16

He was playing well at the start of the season. I gave him major props after losing his place to Varane, and then coming back in and playing well. After the break in at his house and losing his place to Maguire, things went downhill. He has been horrible throughout the majority of the 2nd half of the season. Not good enough.

Caesar2290

He was playing well at the start of the season. I gave him major props after losing his place to Varane, and then coming back in and playing well. After the break in at his house and losing his place to Maguire, things went downhill. He has been horrible throughout the majority of the 2nd half of the season. Not good enough.
I remember last season something similar happened. He had a good 1st half of the season to the point were a lot of posters were discussing if him or Maguire is better. Then Maguire got injured and his form fell off a cliff.

A season later the exact same thing happened again. A good start to the season followed by a falling of form towards the end. I wonder why?

Welcome to the resistance
I'll be honest: I've never seen someone obsessed with a player as you are with Lindelof. I swear you are camped in this thread and just do not hesitate to bash him at every given opportunity.

Yet every time he has a good match, there are always crickets. I remember even calling you out once for it when he was on a very good run of form and oddly enough you were not to be found in this thread.

This whole obsession you have with Lindelof is just bizzare at this point considering what a shower of shite our entire team is, yet I don't see the same amount of energy in other player's threads.

golden_blunder

Staff
I remember last season something similar happened. He had a good 1st half of the season to the point were a lot of posters were discussing if him or Maguire is better. Then Maguire got injured and his form fell off a cliff.

A season later the exact same thing happened again. A good start to the season followed by a falling of form towards the end. I wonder why?

I'll be honest: I've never seen someone obsessed with a player as you are with Lindelof. I swear you are camped in this thread and just do not hesitate to bash him at every given opportunity.

Yet every time he has a good match, there are always crickets. I remember even calling you out once for it when he was on a very good run of form and oddly enough you were not to be found in this thread.

This whole obsession you have with Lindelof is just bizzare at this point considering what a shower of shite our entire team is, yet I don't see the same amount of energy in other player's threads.
I’ve said from day one hes not good enough and
never will be. He hasn’t got the basics down at his age.

yet here you are, the first of his defenders to appear

this is my end season report card:

Shit
Action: sell

Caesar2290

I’ve said from day one hes not good enough and
never will be. He hasn’t got the basics down at his age.

yet here you are, the first of his defenders to appear

this is my end season report card:

Shit
Action: sell
There are at least 5 players I would sell before Lindelof in this squad.

Also why would you sell a good squad option when most of our defenders are always injured. Surely not even you can hold it against him that he is always available.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They'll be in here soon giving us stats about how he is the 5th percentile of looking in the mirror and styling his hair.

It's been obvious for ages this guy is an absolute fraud. Today is just another reminder of why he needs shifting ASAP.

Ok it wasn't entirely his fault with the hospital pass by Bruno, but surely as a PL level defender you KNOW Zaha is coming back onto his right foot and getting a shot away.

What does he do? just watches him run passed and do exactly that. Pathetic.

golden_blunder

Staff
There are at least 5 players I would sell before Lindelof in this squad.

Also why would you sell a good squad option when most of our defenders are always injured. Surely not even you can hold it against him that he is always available.
I’d sell because I wouldn’t want him mixing with young defenders learning their trade

Irwin99

Actually have defended him for a long time but the past few months have been the last straw for me. Too passive and inspires no confidence :(

Status
Not open for further replies.