Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Now, has anyone coming over to my side yet or am I still standing alone muttering to anyone who passes that Lindelof is absolute rubbish? He’s not a defender for this level. Im not sure what his level is. Perhaps he could hide in Spain
I have always been on your side. He was awful when he first joined us but he is actually even worse now. Five years later and he's still a regular. Having supported United since 1963 I cannot remember anyone who played regularly for us who was so bad at defending and so scared of defending. Praying that ETH can see through this fraud and gets him out the door, we don't need him as a useless back up either.

Denis79

Actually have defended him for a long time but the past few months have been the last straw for me. Too passive and inspires no confidence :(
I was excited when he joined but it quickly became apparent that he didn't have what it takes to become anything above average in the PL. Slow, weak and too passive.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I have always been on your side. He was awful when he first joined us but he is actually even worse now. Five years later and he's still a regular. Having supported United since 1963 I cannot remember anyone who played regularly for us who was so bad at defending and so scared of defending. Praying that ETH can see through this fraud and gets him out the door, we don't need him as a useless back up either.
Absolutely, we need to start setting some standards. Not good enough you get moved on. No more excuses

Olecurls99

It's mad. Around February after the Leeds 4-2, everybody was on here saying he's been our best defender all season. Now he's the worst defender we've ever had. I can't imagine it's easy to defend in a team that's given up

I liken him to Matip at Liverpool. He's as good as that lad.

golden_blunder

Staff
It's mad. Around February after the Leeds 4-2, everybody was on here saying he's been our best defender all season. Now he's the worst defender we've ever had. I can't imagine it's easy to defend in a team that's given up
There’s a difference. I’d like to say he defended more competently when the team was working a bit better but the truth is that it just hid his inadequacies. He’s always been the same. He has a little purple patch every season and people are prepared to turn a blind eye to a shit 75% where he’s awful. Not good enough from day 1

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Now, has anyone coming over to my side yet or am I still standing alone muttering to anyone who passes that Lindelof is absolute rubbish? He’s not a defender for this level. Im not sure what his level is. Perhaps he could hide in Spain
He's been rubbish since Huddersfield played him like a fiddle on his debut. I've been consistent in that.
The collective hatred of Smalling by our fanbase (unfairly imo) was the only reason why he was given so many chances & opportunities, based on the fact that he isn't bad on the ball, unlike Smalling.

golden_blunder

Staff
He's been rubbish since Huddersfield played him like a fiddle on his debut. I've been consistent in that.
The collective hatred of Smalling by our fanbase (unfairly imo) was the only reason why he was given so many chances & opportunities, based on the fact that he isn't bad on the ball, unlike Smalling.
Agreed. The fan base ran with all kinds of narratives about smalling “he will give away too many penalties from shirt pulling”. What a load of codswallop. Leaving aside his passing (which was overblown in my opinion) he was a superior defender to Lindelof and I think we’d have been more solid at the back if he’d been paired with Maguire.

Paul the Wolf

He's been our worst defender all season and our worst defender ever since he's been at OT, in what world can Lindelof be classed as a defender , never mind a good defender. He is totally useless. Get rid!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Agreed. The fan base ran with all kinds of narratives about smalling “he will give away too many penalties from shirt pulling”. What a load of codswallop. Leaving aside his passing (which was overblown in my opinion) he was a superior defender to Lindelof and I think we’d have been more solid at the back if he’d been paired with Maguire.
Yep I feel the same way. We didn't have a coach who implemented a playing out from the back system, so I didn't understand the collective rush to buy a passive ball-playing CB other than reacting to the likes of City, rather than imposing our own playing style based on the players we already had.
Another indictment of the lack of strategy in our club over the last decade or so, that hopefully is changing.

Lyng

Maguire has been equally if not more shite this season though. None of those two should be starters for United. Unless we go back to Norwegian Drillo style counterplay in which case Maguire would be great.

Olecurls99

Yep I feel the same way. We didn't have a coach who implemented a playing out from the back system, so I didn't understand the collective rush to buy a passive ball-playing CB other than reacting to the likes of City, rather than imposing our own playing style based on the players we already had.
Another indictment of the lack of strategy in our club over the last decade or so, that hopefully is changing.
And a good start would be to keep the passive ball playing CB?

golden_blunder

Staff
God the “playing out from the back” nonsense that he, Maguire and DeGea get up to would give you nightmares. No wonder AWB is broken, they continually play him a hospital ball at the last minute when he’s boxed in.

Olecurls99

He's been our worst defender all season and our worst defender ever since he's been at OT, in what world can Lindelof be classed as a defender , never mind a good defender. He is totally useless. Get rid!
A lot of people in February would disagree

golden_blunder

Staff
Maguire has been equally if not more shite this season though. None of those two should be starters for United. Unless we go back to Norwegian Drillo style counterplay in which case Maguire would be great.
Yeah we’ve moved on. Maguire has been tripe this season, I’m talking about before we got rid of smalling. I think in the short term it would have been solid

Paul the Wolf

God the “playing out from the back” nonsense that he, Maguire and DeGea get up to would give you nightmares. No wonder AWB is broken, they continually play him a hospital ball at the last minute when he’s boxed in.
Bill Foulkes and Nobby Stiles played better passes out from the back than this fraud, how much longer do we have to put up with this nonsense;

villain

Hates Beyoncé
And a good start would be to keep the passive ball playing CB?
Passive he definitively is, and 'ball playing cb' was massively hyped up, it's not like we could expect Lindelof to ping 40-yard passes every game, or look to him to start attacks.
He's not good enough on the ball to compensate for his shocking defensive ability.

A lot of people would talk about AWB being out of place, but often times it was to defend Lindelof's man because Lindelof would be 'defending the space', and AWB try to do two jobs at once, and it's easy to get caught out, especially when the RW often wouldn't track back. Foolish on his part, but I find it hard not to feel for him for spotting the danger where others wouldn't.

Olecurls99

Well I have no idea why because I've watched every minute of every game. He is my worst defender of all time - after 59 years of watching United - no -one close to being so bad who's been a regular.
Bring back Chopper Harris :lol:

But seriously, he reminds me of Ronny Johnsen a lot. Stays on his feet. Holds attacks up to give his team mates a chance to get back. I like him

Paul the Wolf

That word sums up Lindelofs biggest problem
Lindelof's biggest problem is he brings all the players around him down to his level; He makes them all look bad becasue they have to cover for his passivity, bad positioning and total lack of awareness and anticipation.
Even the goal at the weekend Dalot's in trouble with Zaha, he's going across the box, instead of trying to tackle Zaha he almost ends up hiding behind Dalot; Keystone cops.

Imagine being a forward, the morale must be desperately low, knowing this idiot is not going to defend.

Paul the Wolf

But seriously, he reminds me of Ronny Johnsen a lot. Stays on his feet. Holds attacks up to give his team mates a chance to get back. I like him
He doesn't hold up attacks, he doesn't actually do anything, sometimes if he's lucky the ball goes over the top and he sweeps up and gives a hospital ball to the full back. He doesn't tackle , he doesn't win headed challengers, he's got no pace , his positioning is terrible, waste of time at our set pieces.

Johnsen was a good defender, this guy isn't fit to lace his boots. Matip is a good defender. This guy would struggle to get in any PL team from top to bottom.

RVN1991

No chance. Matip has been massive for Liverpool at times, can't remember very many games where Lindelof has looked anything more than bang average during the time he's been at the club.

golden_blunder

Staff

No chance, I liked Ronny johnsen, he could defend, head, great pace, could play midfield.
Lindelof wishes he was half the player

Olecurls99

Like Matip!? :lol: :lol:

in what world is this?
A world without Virgil van Dijk holding your hand.

Poor Lindy looks over and he sees whingy face Maguire ambling back time and time again.

It's also a world where he's the captain of Sweden so he's not half as bad as you make him out to be.

golden_blunder

Staff
A world without Virgil van Dijk holding your hand.

Poor Lindy looks over and he sees whingy face Maguire ambling back time and time again.

It's also a world where he's the captain of Sweden so he's not half as bad as you make him out to be.
As I said it shows how far their defence has fallen. Must be slim pickings if he’s the best choice because he’s about as captain material as the fart I just did

Status
Not open for further replies.