Position: Defender - Centre-Back
Foot: Right
Player Agent: HCM Sports Management
Squad Number: #2
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2024
Contract option: Option for a further year
Date of last contract extension: Sep 18, 2019

Irwin99

Doubt he'll want to play back up if Varane is signed. Despite what people say I think he'd do well at a big club in Spain/Italy.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If Varane joins, we will finally get to use him properly next season by sitting on the bench and always be available when needed if our main defenders are injured. After all, staying fit is his no 1 asset.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Doubt he'll want to play back up if Varane is signed. Despite what people say I think he'd do well at a big club in Spain/Italy.
What big club in Spain? Valencia? Sevilla?

He will do well in back three though since he will have 2 CBs to cover his many weaknesses and he can focus on his main strength but definitely not in CB pairs. He's too limited for big club who prefers 2 CB formation.

Eugenius

Very interesting to see that CB is a top priority for us, with a view to dropping the double pivot in midfield. If true I think that tells you we have been setting up with two holding players because of Lindelof.

Irwin99

What big club in Spain? Valencia? Sevilla?

He will do well in back three though since he will have 2 CBs to cover his many weaknesses and he can focus on his main strength but definitely not in CB pairs. He's too limited for big club who prefers 2 CB formation.
I know he's often slammed on here but he's actually a very good defender and I could see him do well at Barca. If he left I doubt very much he'd move to some mid-table team somewhere and he'd go to a champions league team.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I know he's often slammed on here but he's actually a very good defender and I could see him do well at Barca. If he left I doubt very much he'd move to some mid-table team somewhere and he'd go to a champions league team.
:lol: Barcelona have high standard and the fact that they are unhappy with Griezmann despite of scoring 13 league goals and 7 league assists last season and still an important player for France sums up what they expect in their players who play in important role. CB is very important role. Lindelof is almost like Lenglet, someone Barcelona fans wouldn't mind to sit on the bench but unhappy for starting XI.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I doubt anyone would missed him, With Varane in, We can sell either him or Baily, use funds from their sales to finance a much younger CB with potentials.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Throw him into the Varane transfer if it'll help smoothen the deal. Can't wait to no longer have him starting every game.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Ideally want him as back up and Bailly to get the feck out. Tuanzebe can be the other CB back up.

Edit: forgot about Jones. So has the rest of the club it seems.

Gandalf

:lol: Barcelona have high standard and the fact that they are unhappy with Griezmann despite of scoring 13 league goals and 7 league assists last season and still an important player for France sums up what they expect in their players who play in important role. CB is very important role. Lindelof is almost like Lenglet, someone Barcelona fans wouldn't mind to sit on the bench but unhappy for starting XI.
Barcelona want rid of Griezmann because they are broke as a joke, his form has nothing to do with it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Barcelona want rid of Griezmann because they are broke as a joke, his form has nothing to do with it.
You can go to their fan forum and read the criticism they gave him. You probably find 95% of them consider him like a waste of space or shite player.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Its mad how people don't rate Rashford at the age of 23.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
With us seemingly prioritising a CB, it appears as though Ole has identified that this guy shouldn't be in our starting 11 if we want to win things.
Good backup/squad option no doubt, will massively improve our second string team.
But he isn't the one you want starting in a final, and you'd have nerves if he had to face the attacking talents of City/Liverpool/Chelsea & other top European clubs.

And like I say every year: he's soft.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I like Lindelof as a squad player and think he'd be a great backup. I much prefer him to Baily who I never really trust, to be honest. If we can get Varane in, I'd get shot of Baily and have Lindelof, Maguire, Varane, and Tuanzebe as our CB's. That's a pretty solid list there.

RedDevil@84

it appears as though Ole has identified that this guy shouldn't be in our starting 11 if we want to win things.
That is a massive assumption. Probably Ole has realized we need 3 fit CBs for the campaign, who are all going to play good amount of games.
We can't rely on full crocks and Axel.

I don't think there will be a scenario where Lindelof plays only a meager amount of games in the year. That maybe too much for Maguire/other CB to handle.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Shows that hyperbole is not exclusive to United fans
I mean it's exactly what I'm saying majority their fans won't even rate Lindelof if they don't even rate Griezmann. So Lindelof at United or Barcelona change nothing. Lindelof is not good enough for team like United or Barcelona standard. May be if we ever change formation to 352 or 343 since by having 3 CBs you can cover a CB who has lot of weaknesses.

Ekeke

Wouldnt we be hearing about Madrid wanting him as part of the deal if that were the case? I think he'd be better in Spain but certainly not starting for one of the top clubs level. He would do well to have interest from Sevilla and Sociedad maybe as a replacement for selling Kounde and Le Normand at higher prices than he costs so they can use the extra money on other players.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
That is a massive assumption. Probably Ole has realized we need 3 fit CBs for the campaign, who are all going to play good amount of games.
We can't rely on full crocks and Axel.

I don't think there will be a scenario where Lindelof plays only a meager amount of games in the year. That maybe too much for Maguire/other CB to handle.
Maybe if we were targeting an inexperienced or back up defender, similar to what we did with Telles.
But we’re not chasing Varane to have him rotate with Lindelof. Varane is taking the first team place and Lindelof will be relegated to squad option

RedDevil@84

But we’re not chasing Varane to have him rotate with Lindelof. Varane is taking the first team place and Lindelof will be relegated to squad option
I get that. My definition of a guy "relegated to squad option" will be someone who is likely to make only 10 apps or so in a season. I think Lindelof will be in the matchday squad a lot more often and will play.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I get that. My definition of a guy "relegated to squad option" will be someone who is likely to make only 10 apps or so in a season. I think Lindelof will be in the matchday squad a lot more often and will play.
Maybe with Ole's squad management thats a reasonable expectation, the guy really doesn't rotate enough.
I'd expect a good squad option to make 20-30 appearances against opposition that we expect to beat easily or to cover for periods of injury/fatigue.

arthurka

His only positives is his availability and readyness to celebrate with his teammates. Can't wait to see the back of him.

A-man

A club like United need at least 3 CBs who can start. Look at the CBs bought by Pep: Stones 50 mill, Laporte 59 mill, Ake 41 mill and Dias 65 mill. At the same time there will always be one starting CB pair, as it is needed to get some continuity.

Varane is somewhat similar in style as Lindelof but better in all regards except on the ball and is a little more prone to mistakes imo. How good Varane would be in the future is hard to say. I’ve followed Real Madrid for a long time and seen him play at least 200, maybe 250 matches. I have always rated Varane highly but am a bit worried he has passed his peak. He would be a great contribution anyway.

One take away from the Euros: our defenders didn’t look that bad after all…
Shaw, Maguire and Lindelof were all pretty good compared to many of the “elite hipster” defenders playing for Spain, France, Portugal, etc. Then of course our defenders all played in very defensive oriented teams, sitting back in low defences in a way United don’t want to play, but were still good.

Last edited:

UnitedRepublic

A club like United need at least 3 CBs who can start. Look at the CBs bought by Pep: Stones 50 mill, Laporte 59 mill, Ake 41 mill and Dias 65 mill. At the same time there will always be one starting CB pair, as it is needed to get some continuity.

Varane is somewhat similar in style as Lindelof but better in all regards except on the ball and is a little more prone to mistakes imo. How good Varane would be in the future is hard to say. I’ve followed Real Madrid for a long time and seen him play at least 200, maybe 250 matches. I have always rated Varane highly but am a bit worried he has passed his peak. He would be a great contribution anyway.

One take away from the Euros: our defenders didn’t look that bad after all…
Shaw, Maguire and Lindelof were all pretty good compared to many of the “elite hipster” defenders playing for Spain, France, Portugal, etc. Then of course our defenders all played in very defensive oriented teams, sitting back in low defences in a way United don’t want to play, but were still good.
How can you say that have you’ve seen Lindelöf play ? Falling all the way back into the goal line and being very passive thats why it may look like he’s not that error prone, but it’s even worse than being error prone it’s a system failure within the player. I say that as a Swede aswell Lindelöf got nothing on Varane.

Reactions: golden_blunder

A-man

How can you say that have you’ve seen Lindelöf play ? Falling all the way back into the goal line and being very passive thats why it may look like he’s not that error prone, but it’s even worse than being error prone it’s a system failure within the player. I say that as a Swede aswell Lindelöf got nothing on Varane.
Being passive is not the same as being error prone. And I didn’t even say error prone, I said “little more prone to mistakes”. Many who have watched Varane would agree with that. Being prone to mistakes is not the same as being “passive”. It is something totally different. It is when you fail something very simple, something way below your skill level.

UnitedRepublic

Being passive is not the same as being error prone. And I didn’t even say error prone, I said “little more prone to mistakes”. Many who have watched Varane would agree with that. Being prone to mistakes is not the same as being “passive”. It is something totally different. It is when you fail something very simple, something way below your skill level.
For me being as passive as Lindelöf is a huge error in his defensive skills it’s even worse than a error as I said before.

JustAGuest

Very interesting to see that CB is a top priority for us, with a view to dropping the double pivot in midfield. If true I think that tells you we have been setting up with two holding players because of Lindelof.
I think it's more that we lack a lone DM. I expect us to sign someone if we do indeed go for 433.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We should try to sell him on the back of a good euros. He's proven time and time again he's not quite good enough for the highest level. He'd be fine for most bundesliga/serie A/L1/La liga clubs.

Bailly does some dumb stuff quite frequently, but I don't recall it costing us goals that often, unlike Lindelöf's passivity. He's quite a bit better on the ball than Bailly, but since our CB pairing is going to be Varane and Maguire we're not gonna be relying on much playmaking out the back anyway.

Varane and Maguire aren't that injury prone. Tuanzebe and Bailly as backups should be fine, with McTominay and/or an academy lad being able to play there during an injury crisis.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't take the suggestion we should sell lindelof but keep Bailly seriously.
Lindelof has cost us more goals simply because he's not a crock like the guy you say we should keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.