Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchred

Brilliant player for a 3rd choice CB.
The suggestion that he should be tried at DM is laughable. He'd be worse than Matic.
I seem to remember that Sir Alex used Ronnie Johnssen as a DM when Roy was injured or suspended. He also used O'Shea as a Midfielder.
No one is saying he is a midfielder but we could try it. If it doesn't work, then stop. We are not going to get anyone before January so we don't have many choices

simmee

I seem to remember that Sir Alex used Ronnie Johnssen as a DM when Roy was injured or suspended. He also used O'Shea as a Midfielder.
No one is saying he is a midfielder but we could try it. If it doesn't work, then stop. We are not going to get anyone before January so we don't have many choices
Surely Donny deserves a chance before we start putting CBs in midfield? Lindelöf will give us what Matic does in midfield but worse.

dutchred

Surely Donny deserves a chance before we start putting CBs in midfield? Lindelöf will give us what Matic does in midfield but worse.
I am a season ticket holder at Ajax and have never seen Donnie play as DM. He always played as either an 8 or mostly rotating with Tadic as a false 9. His best work was always in the opposition penalty area

simmee

I am a season ticket holder at Ajax and have never seen Donnie play as DM. He always played as either an 8 or mostly rotating with Tadic as a false 9. His best work was always in the opposition penalty area
We often play with two 8s though. Would rather see that than a cb as dm.

dutchred

We often play with two 8s though. Would rather see that than a cb as dm.
But then we end up playing with Pogba on the left wing limiting our attach to 2, which is a shame give our attacking options. We need one person instead of Fred and Mac.
I've never said that Lindelof is the answer but until January at the earliest we don't have many options. Also many people seem to think Rice is the answer but is he not a converted Central Defender and looks like it playing for England?

kthanksbye

Thanks, I don't know where this comes from, the notion that VdB can play as a 6 or a DM. He's a #10 that is capable of playing #8.

OmarUnited4ever

Thanks, I don't know where this comes from, the notion that VdB can play as a 6 or a DM. He's a #10 that is capable of playing #8.
Well, VdB said so himself that he can play #6, of course we haven't seen him do so here on a consistent basis, there is also the fact that Ole never selected him to play that role on a regular basis, but there is a possibility him being able to play as a #6

dutchred

Well, VdB said so himself that he can play #6, of course we haven't seen him do so here on a consistent basis, there is also the fact that Ole never selected him to play that role on a regular basis, but there is a possibility him being able to play as a #6
I'm not saying he can't play as a 6 but he never played there for Ajax. On the other hand at that time Ajax had the best number 6 in the world (Frenkie), so there was no need

dronesoul

Actually you make some good points. All DMs don't need to chase down players like Kante. Lindelof at CB is not going to allow him to be pressed nor is he going to hunt down players leaving empty space behind him. His passing and his reading of the game is good. He has got decent pace and his control and passing is a lot better than Fred and McTominay.
Can he play in midfield? We won't know until it's tried. I would like to see it in a decent cup game or an arranged match. Unless he turns out to be brilliant we need to get a new quality DM.
Ah yes, sorry, maybe I wrote it badly, I meant that his potential as a DM shouldn’t be judged on the fact that he doesn’t run around chasing players as a CB. I forgot the username, but that user used the fact that Lindelöf doesn’t do those things as a CB as an argument for why he’d be a bad DM.

It’s just not fair argumentation. Lindelöf shouldn’t do those things when playing CB and that is the main reason for why he doesn’t do them, not because he’s unable or unwilling to. So we can’t draw a conclusion from that since it doesn’t say anything about his DM-skills.

Whether or not he would be a good enough DM for a club like Man Utd I can’t say before I’ve seen him play as a DM a few times. All I know is that he played DM in his youth career sometimes, so obviously at least someone at Benfica saw some potential in him for that position.

So I wouldn’t expect him to be horrible as a DM. He’s probably the most likely of all our CBs to play in that position, but if he’d have success as DM in the PL is a completely different story.

:)

Last edited:

lex talionis

It's asking too much of a CB to become a CDM. We're not the kind of club which can afford the dropped points to allow for that kind of player transformation.

dronesoul

Lots of oracles on here who already know that he can’t play DM before even seeing him play DM.

Many modern CBs are capable of both. I’m not saying I know he’ll be a good DM (since I’m no oracle).

dronesoul

<forum post with embedded twitter post>
I guess he lost a duel with a forward doing it really good up until the finish. What about it?

Real question is what the forward is doing with the finish :lol:

And what a fecking save! :eek:

Teja

I guess he lost a duel with a forward doing it really good up until the finish. What about it?

Real question is what the forward is doing with the finish :lol:

And what a fecking save! :eek:
Exhibit A for a lack of aggression on aerial balls.

It'd be nice to see a few passes prior, but basically any long ball in his general direction and his first instinct is to let it bounce and defend on the ground. In this case he lost the battle on the ground.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Very bad at both goals too. I can imagine his fanboys here will be like: Yeah he made three mistakes but overall very decent performance. He's shit and will have a game or two where he will don't make a mistake (yeah standards dropped low) but then again absolute trainwreck performances like this. Let's hope he's sold while he still has a value because he will cost us like he did so many times before. Brown and Oshea were far from perfect but twice as good as Victor Puppy Lindelof, and that's the quality of a 3rd/4th choice CB we should aspire to, not someone so unreliable and indcredibly mistake prone like this fraud. Captain fantastic.

A-man

Had a poor moment on one counter where he was first passive and then slipped on the grass, but overall a good game and by far the best defender ( his CB partner had a nightmare evening). Saved one open goal on the line and clearing many balls in the box. Maybe could have done better at their first goal but not sure what.

criticalanalysis

Yikes.

@golden_blunder ;)

Exhibit A for a lack of aggression on aerial balls.

It'd be nice to see a few passes prior, but basically any long ball in his general direction and his first instinct is to let it bounce and defend on the ground. In this case he lost the battle on the ground.
He does have an alarmingly high amount of instances where he does this, it's truly bizzarre how fundamentally poor he is in this aspect. It's defending 101, doesn't matter if it's the PL or Serie A.

Firefly

We won't win anything as long as we still have this fraud of a centre half anywhere near our team.
Strong words, he got beaten clearly once if I remember correct.

Not bad I would say, but also nothing special performance.

Kopral Jono

Strong words, he got beaten clearly once if I remember correct.

Not bad I would say, but also nothing special performance.
I've never liked him since day one and I still fail to understand why Mourinho bought him in the first place, and why Ole persisted with him for so long. He belongs in the fraud department along with the likes of Schneiderlin and Depay.

Devil77

We won't win anything as long as we still have this fraud of a centre half anywhere near our team.
Oh, come on! Varane was the one who should have cleared the equaliser and Lingard was solely to blame for their winner. Take your childish agenda somewhere else.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
When Dalot took the free kick to Maguire's header, there was one player decided not to shoot and chose to play a weird pass to Varane. Was he Lindelof? What is wrong with our players when they were in the box, they chose to play around or pass to the wrong player when the shooting chance was open.

Halftrack

Had nothing to do with any of the goals against, but you still found away to put the loss on him. Good job, you're a credit to this forum.

MattofManchester

Could we play him at RB and have him come infield as a sort of hybrid full back/ midfielder during games?

His ability on the ball is seriously underrated. He's not a regular at CB anymore, so we could consider using him there.

NZT-One

Could we play him at RB and have him come infield as a sort of hybrid full back/ midfielder during games?

His ability on the ball is seriously underrated. He's not a regular at CB anymore, so we could consider using him there.
Because he seems scare of his own shadow and is backpeddling a lot trying to not get skinned by a good dribbler - you want him to be even closer to the action? Don't think that is a good idea. There is more to play in midfield than just being a good tackler (which is a bit debatable already) and making the odd good long pass when he has time on the ball.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Very good tonight. In fine form. Maguire needs to get his act together. In theory. In reality he’s probably safe no matter what.

Firefly

Was ok, lost his man or was slow to find his man in penalty area once or twice. Not sure what he was thinking when they put one in the post hehe.
But did some nice things as well.

A-man

Had a very good game. Want to see him partner Varane in the next game and bench Maguire for a while. Maguire is strong in the air but Lindelof has been quite good in the air so far this season so it could work (won 8 aerial duels tonight).

Status
Not open for further replies.