Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

The pass was even better than I thought, didnt realize it was with his left foot. Varane usually does a switch out to the left side with his left foot which is impressive, but that assist was all the better when its with Lindelof's weaker foot. Really good at those passes with both feet now.

And despite his struggles with Vardy, he was still better than Maguire who had a nightmare.

Strats

He's our second best defender after Varane.

However, I don't have any faith in Ole dropping Maguire once Varane is back

Andersons Dietician

Yeah he and Varane should probably be the partnership going forward. He’s played really well and yesterday he was good apart from that one occasion he got his footing wrong and Vardy basically dropped him. However after that he pretty much got to grips with Vardy and dealt with him. Fantastic pass on his swinger.

TSE123

Thought he had another good game.
After Matic came off there was no defensive work or organisation on the midfield. Cant help to wonder (after that pass) if Lindelof could manage the CDM role!? Quite often he is calm on the ball starting up the attacks. He has the positioning as well as the passing distance and accuracy. Question really is work rate?
Certainly better than McT, Fred, Pogba and Fernandez defensively.

Foxbatt

Yeah he and Varane should probably be the partnership going forward. He’s played really well and yesterday he was good apart from that one occasion he got his footing wrong and Vardy basically dropped him. However after that he pretty much got to grips with Vardy and dealt with him. Fantastic pass on his swinger.
Now I understand why he is so circumspect. Too much pressure on him when he plays with Maguire. With Varane he knows Varane has the pace to deal with most CFs.
He and Varane are our best defensive partnership.

Revan

Assumptionman
Now I understand why he is so circumspect. Too much pressure on him when he plays with Maguire. With Varane he knows Varane has the pace to deal with most CFs.
He and Varane are our best defensive partnership.
At the very least, it should be tried.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
At the very least, it should be tried.
Yep. I always said that if we did sign a new centre back that Maguire shouldn't be the default partner. First choice yes, but Lindelof deserves the chance to stake his claim as well.

For the majority of their time here there really hasn't been much between Maguire and Lindelof. Maguire's peak is obviously higher and he finally showed that for an extended period in the second half of last season, but for their first 18 months together he was very inconsistent. For all the criticism that Lindelof gets, he's actually been more consistent than Maguire has been in that time. He has the occasional shocker and the occasional great match, but by and large he's fairly steady. Meanwhile Maguire has been up and down like a yoyo. I did hope that the second half of last season was him turning the corner and he was becoming the dominant force in our backline, but he's started this season just as badly as he did last season (where he had more of an excuse with what went down in Greece).

I'm sure they'll get a few more matches together as I believe Varane is out for a bit longer, so if Lindelof continues outperforming him it'll be interesting which one will get dropped when Varane returns.

izec

Terrible defending on the last goal, he is basically ducking away :lol:, it would have been a handball if it hit him.

His assist was excellent.

FriedClams

He deserves a lot of credit for the way he has conducted himself since the arrival of Varane. In a world full of agent and dressing room leaks, I don't recall a single story about Lindelof being annoyed at the arrival of Varane despite it being blatantly obvious he would lose his guaranteed place in the team. Instead, he has gotten his head down and when given a chance this past weekend, he put in a solid display. That's not the first time he hass played an inch perfect ball in behind a defence for Rashford to run on to, nor will it be his last. If Maguire has the ball on his left foot, would Rashford have even bothered making the run? A lot of attacking players movements are determined by how confident they are that the pass will go where they want it, which may go a long way to explaining the lack of movement when the likes of Fred, Mctominay, AWB and Mctominay on the ball. These guys train together every day and know what one another is capable of, and when Lindelof is on the ball, people make runs for him and show to receive the ball because they know he can execute the pass.

I have a lot of time for Victor, and its not beyond possibility that he ends up being the favored partner of Varane. Always a good sign of a players character when they are willing to fight for their place and not settle for being a millionaire substitute.

dronesoul

He deserves a lot of credit for the way he has conducted himself since the arrival of Varane. In a world full of agent and dressing room leaks, I don't recall a single story about Lindelof being annoyed at the arrival of Varane despite it being blatantly obvious he would lose his guaranteed place in the team. Instead, he has gotten his head down and when given a chance this past weekend, he put in a solid display. That's not the first time he hass played an inch perfect ball in behind a defence for Rashford to run on to, nor will it be his last. If Maguire has the ball on his left foot, would Rashford have even bothered making the run? A lot of attacking players movements are determined by how confident they are that the pass will go where they want it, which may go a long way to explaining the lack of movement when the likes of Fred, Mctominay, AWB and Mctominay on the ball. These guys train together every day and know what one another is capable of, and when Lindelof is on the ball, people make runs for him and show to receive the ball because they know he can execute the pass.

I have a lot of time for Victor, and its not beyond possibility that he ends up being the favored partner of Varane. Always a good sign of a players character when they are willing to fight for their place and not settle for being a millionaire substitute.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I thought the same thing when they created that goal together. Rashford knows what Victor is capable of. If Victor has the ball he just goes.

Lindelof on that first goal and on the Zapata chance was terrible. He’s such a average defender. Lovely long raking passes, however.

dronesoul

First things first. That Zapata turn, too easy for Zapata. Combination of misplacement, mistiming and a bad decision on Victor’s part. Seldom happens with him though so I’ll just say; it happens.

Other than that, great energy.

He’s never been a sulker or a whiner. Already in the first half when we were two down he was one of the few who told people to clear their heads and just go.

He displayed an eagerness to raise the tempo and didn’t hesitate to tell his team mates to get a fecking move on.

I liked how he led by example by being aggressive and floored that Atalanta player. Stuff like that is important if you want to fire up a dull and slow team. Create some fecking heat.

So, even though the slip up happened I think he more than well made up for it with his attitude and mentality throughout the game, especially with how he also tried to fire up the others.

He’s very vocal and communicative. He’s got great vision overall, both offensively and defensively, so it’s no wonder he captains Sweden.

A-man

Decent game. Got turned once but pretty much the only mistake. Not much he could have done for the first goal. Maguire and Shaw asleep and Lindelof the only one who reacted. As a right CB he had to cover the whole left flank himself and ended up against 2 attackers.
Good pace on his passing and winning back the ball high.

Andersons Dietician

Must be hard being a CB in a back 4 playing with a man down. Actually probably more of a lead weight. Seriously having to cover Maguire as well as do his own job, did well considering the disability of that.Got minced by Zapata, was a pretty good turn but still think he should have dealt with that better.

Other than that pretty solid when all around him were non existent.

The United

His thru balls are class. He should try more with Rashford is in the team now.

But, yeah never really great at defending 1 on 1.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He isn't good anything, nothing that is vital to a defender anyway.

Can't cope with pace and can't cope with strength and isn't assertive. His best trait is passing.

A nothing player.

TSE123

Decent game from him, made one or two mistakes. BUT hard to tell what's what with Maguire on the pitch. Remember 4 or 5 times when Lindelof had to cover for him leaving huge space behind him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Probably the weakest defender in europe? It's ridiculous how easy he allows people to muscle past him. I don't even think Daley Blind was this easy to push around at CB :lol:

The way Zapata backed into him and brushed him aside like a wet paper towel was just horrific to watch - yet again though wasn't punished for it thanks to the keeper.

arnie_ni

Probably the weakest defender in europe? It's ridiculous how easy he allows people to muscle past him. I don't even think Daley Blind was this easy to push around at CB :lol:

The way Zapata backed into him and brushed him aside like a wet paper towel was just horrific to watch - yet again though wasn't punished for it thanks to the keeper.
Vardy brushed him off at the half way line near the dugouts on Saturday as well, Bruno had to give away a fk.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Vardy brushed him off at the half way line near the dugouts on Saturday as well, Bruno had to give away a fk.
Doesnt happen to Maguire right… oh wait

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Must be hard being a CB in a back 4 playing with a man down. Actually probably more of a lead weight. Seriously having to cover Maguire as well as do his own job, did well considering the disability of that.Got minced by Zapata, was a pretty good turn but still think he should have dealt with that better.

Other than that pretty solid when all around him were non existent.
Pretty much

Other than the weak turn he was decent, certainly better than Maguire. Nothing he could really do about the goal, he was 2v1 with a guy running at him at pace.

Revan

Assumptionman
Zapata made a fool out of him there, but still was better than his partner in CB.

We really need Varane ASAP. Lindelof and Maguire are ok as the second choice, but they need someone who is better next to them.

TSE123

Critics criticise!
He made a couple of mistakes and that's all some people talk about (despite him doing a lot of good yesterday). Quite a few in this thread have already beforehand decided that he's been rubbish and are unable to look past their own convictions.
If all you expect from a CB is oafish height and strength, then of course he doesn't fit your - highly subjective - opinion of a good CB. (May I then suggest hulk hogan or the Rock as alternatives!?) If you however appreciate good football and want more from your CBs than just simply clearing balls and outmuscling the strongest of strikers, then Lindelof is excellent. Positionally and in his passing game he is equal to Varane.,

Marwood

Other than the weak turn he was decent, certainly better than Maguire. Nothing he could really do about the goal, he was 2v1 with a guy running at him at pace.
I thought the ball was there to be won when it first got played through earlier in the move.

But I really think in a 50/50 Lindelof prefers to let the attacker win the ball and then jockey him.

I thought the ball was there to be won when it first got played through earlier in the move.

But I really think in a 50/50 Lindelof prefers to let the attacker win the ball and then jockey him.
He does and there's nothing wrong with that. Some of the best defenders prefer to avoid tackles where possible. If you get a tackle wrong you're out of the game.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Plays well with Varane but not with maguire.

Varane plays well with lindelof and makes errors with maguire.

Hmm

Wing Attack Plan R

Lindelof still cleaves the fan base in two. I like him because he's more of a European defender, not looking to just jump in head first. He does prefer to win the ball and not tackle the player, which is sort of the opposite of Bailly. His style is not the all-action CBs of yore variety. He hasn't paired well with Maguire but he's outperformed him for some time now. Like a lot of players, they are playing in a side that needs to be tinkered with to bring out their best. If we had a great CM I think it would shore up whatever deficiencies remain in Lindelof's game. We don't, so he gets exposed. People like the Jaap Star raging bull style of CB, of which Lindelof is not in any way, shape or form. His passing range is phenomenal and bringing the ball out of defense I'm a lot more inclined to think something will spark for us, rather than Harry just running to halfway, stopping, passing it to Shaw, and then trotting back.

Zoo

Plays well with Varane but not with maguire.

Varane plays well with lindelof and makes errors with maguire.

Hmm
Lindelof has played well with Maguire plenty of times. He is prone to being rag dolled by CF’s which is why he’s third choice.

Korwas

I feel bad for him that it feels like it's a forgone conclusion that he is the odd man with Varane here. So far I think he has had the best season of our defenders (not saying much) and I think Lindelof could offer alot to this team with the passing he has displayed this season if we start to improve.

A-man

Rumours that Roma want Lindelof. Doubt it will happen however. He is third choice at United but still the CB with most minutes this season and won’t be sold under 50 mill.

macheda14

Rumours that Roma want Lindelof. Doubt it will happen however. He is third choice at United but still the CB with most minutes this season and won’t be sold under 50 mill.
Did Jose actually rate him here?!

Status
Not open for further replies.