Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

STYLOISRED

Saved by VAR, but that seemed to have worked as a wake up call for him and he did well from that point on. He is a decent back up, I just can't see Maguire starting ahead of him at any point.
I would say that he did well to try to maintain the defense line until the very last second. Some defenders would have committed too early and put the opposition on side.

A-man

He seems to have improved his aerial game.
It’s also supported by the stats.

Aerials won per 90 min and success rate in the PL:
Lindelof 2.3, 79%
Maguire 2.1, 53%
Varane 1.8, 72%
Martinez 1.5, 59%

Not played so many PL matches but his stats are pretty much the same for EL and domestic cups.

He would not make the starting 11 in any other Premier League team so if Varane was out for a sustained period I cannot see how anyone would be happy with him playing there.
Not sure what level you expect from a 3/4 th choice of CB? He has 6 clean sheets in his 10 last games. He can play both to the left and to the right. He is good at taking instructions and follow tactics. He is good with the ball and fits our style of playing. Sure, he is not Varane level, but no one else is either.

Bondi77

He seems to have improved his aerial game.
It’s also supported by the stats.

Aerials won per 90 min and success rate in the PL:
Lindelof 2.3, 79%
Maguire 2.1, 53%
Varane 1.8, 72%
Martinez 1.5, 59%

Not played so many PL matches but his stats are pretty much the same for EL and domestic cups.

Not sure what level you expect from a 3/4 th choice of CB? He has 6 clean sheets in his 10 last games. He can play both to the left and to the right. He is good at taking instructions and follow tactics. He is good with the ball and fits our style of playing. Sure, he is not Varane level, but no one else is either.
If he is being instructed to be feeble and be a bit of a wimp then I have to agree with you :houllier:

A-man

If he is being instructed to be feeble and be a bit of a wimp then I have to agree with you :houllier:
To be honest it is probably mostly in your head to go with that narrative. He could surely be more aggressive at times, agree with that if that’s what you mean, but we also saw last game what can happen when centre backs throw themselves on the ground and totally miss the tackle. In the end, if he keeps racking up those clean sheets and wins, it is all that matters.

zaafi

Some ridiculous underrating of Lindelöf on here. He is a passive defender, yes, but so is Varane. I'm not saying Varane isn't better because he clearly is, but if you expect every defender to be aggressive and not back up in a 1v1 to allow the rest of the team to assist him, you have no idea how defending works. He is a good defender and you won't find many better defenders who will be happy to not play. Why would a talented 21 year old CB come to us to sit on the bench? It's not gonna happen, so just forget about it.

He would not make the starting 11 in any other Premier League team so if Varane was out for a sustained period I cannot see how anyone would be happy with him playing there.
Right. I'm sure the likes of Jack Stephens, Lloyd Kelly, Joe Worrall and Wout Faes are high rated defenders you appreciate a lot. Come on.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Some ridiculous underrating of Lindelöf on here. He is a passive defender, yes, but so is Varane. I'm not saying Varane isn't better because he clearly is, but if you expect every defender to be aggressive and not back up in a 1v1 to allow the rest of the team to assist him, you have no idea how defending works. He is a good defender and you won't find many better defenders who will be happy to not play. Why would a talented 21 year old CB come to us to sit on the bench? It's not gonna happen, so just forget about it.
Good points. It's best to ignore the trolls who I imagine are deeply unhappy and projecting their own personal miseries onto our Victor. As a third choice CB he is one of the best in the biz.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I’d rather give his minutes to Fish, Mengi, Kambwala or even Tuanzebe from next season.

Bondi77

To be honest it is probably mostly in your head to go with that narrative. He could surely be more aggressive at times, agree with that if that’s what you mean, but we also saw last game what can happen when centre backs throw themselves on the ground and totally miss the tackle. In the end, if he keeps racking up those clean sheets and wins, it is all that matters.
The team rack up the clean sheets..he is a part of it but he was nowhere near the Forest player the other night when it nearly wasn't one.
I watch all the Premier League games and have for as long as I can remember and Lindelof is not a good Premier league defender.

Bondi77

Good points. It's best to ignore the trolls who I imagine are deeply unhappy and projecting their own personal miseries onto our Victor. As a third choice CB he is one of the best in the biz.
What an imagination :lol: :lol:

Raven

Yes he would, what absolute bollocks.

Lyng

Technically he’s a better defender but in the right setup. Teams that play deep
I was mostly joking. But I would argue that Lindelöf is the better defender in a Ten Hag system. I agree with you in a different system.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Lindelof is a great 3rd choice CB, fits Ten Hags system, experienced, not injury prone, reliable. Will never understand the abuse he gets, I'd worry if he was an automatic starter but he's 3rd choice.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I was mostly joking. But I would argue that Lindelöf is the better defender in a Ten Hag system. I agree with you in a different system.
In a ten Hag system sure but I still wouldn’t want to rely on him if Varane got injured

flappyjay

Sell one of him or maguire. (probably maguire) the buy a high potential young left footed CB.

Lyng

In a ten Hag system sure but I still wouldn’t want to rely on him if Varane got injured
If it was a long term injury I agree. But as a back up to play in cup games etc or to give Varane a rest, I have a hard time finding a better alternative.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ahh, I see. I should have known better than to try and have a reasonable conversation with you about Lindelof.
There is no reasonable conversation to be had, he’s average. You all won’t accept McTominay in midfield so why accept Lindelof

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Yeah let's shoot ourselves in the foot because some of you hate Victor.
I don’t hate him but I don’t rate him highly either. He plays a limited role given we have Varane, Licha and Shaw taking 90%+ of our CB minutes. I’d like to give the remaining 10% to a highly rated academy product.

Ekeke

Lindelof is a great 3rd choice CB, fits Ten Hags system, experienced, not injury prone, reliable. Will never understand the abuse he gets, I'd worry if he was an automatic starter but he's 3rd choice.
Seems like 4th after Shaw atm

Theres miles better than him, and according to Charlie Austin we chose him over going for VVD, but as a 4th choice he's probably okay.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think we have a good choice of centrebacks available. Happy to have Lindelof in the mix. Strength in depth in this key position is helpful.
Not sure strength is quite the right word to use in Lindelof's case though

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If we have to choose between keeping him or Maguire, I'd keep him simply because his salary is less and he provides pretty much the same level of performances as Maguire on average. Also 1 year younger than Maguire.

A-man

The team rack up the clean sheets..he is a part of it but he was nowhere near the Forest player the other night when it nearly wasn't one.
I watch all the Premier League games and have for as long as I can remember and Lindelof is not a good Premier league defender.
You mean the 3 vs 2 counter where the forward was offside? Not an easy situation but think they did ok and it was good enough line to set him offside as we saw. There were also situations where he cleared up behind the other defenders, like it should be, so definitely think he did his part. But of course he is just one part of the team, like everybody else. I would say he was pretty good last season and the season before he was starting most games and we finished second in the league. The point is this you can’t expect much more from a third CB than to be part of a team that wins again and again even though it is the third choice who is playing.

If you want Varane level, who would recommend? There are not many of that level and none of them would be third choice.

flappyjay

Why would he come to us to sit on the bench? Young players with huge potential need to play to develop.
Young cbs got to clubs to be 3rd choice all the time. De ligt was 3rd choice to bonnuci and chiellini.

A-man

Young cbs got to clubs to be 3rd choice all the time. De ligt was 3rd choice to bonnuci and chiellini.
First of all he cost 85 mill which I personally think we could spend better elsewhere instead of upgrading 3/4th CB. Secondly, he played most minutes of all CBs during his time at Juve.

I don’t hate him but I don’t rate him highly either. He plays a limited role given we have Varane, Licha and Shaw taking 90%+ of our CB minutes. I’d like to give the remaining 10% to a highly rated academy product.
Lindelof has about the same amount of minutes as Varane this season.

simplyared

Looking at this player, from when he joined the club, I would honestly say he is a player who has had the highest development curve. He's unrecognisable in comparison to when he joined us. He's not quite there yet but is definately knocking on the door to stating a claim as a starting player. If Ake can make city's starting eleven then imo he walks into ours!

Status
Not open for further replies.