Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I don’t hate him but I don’t rate him highly either. He plays a limited role given we have Varane, Licha and Shaw taking 90%+ of our CB minutes. I’d like to give the remaining 10% to a highly rated academy product.
We don’t have an U21 cbs who are good enough to step up or looks they will go on to become better than Maguire or Lindelöf.

Bondi77

You mean the 3 vs 2 counter where the forward was offside? Not an easy situation but think they did ok and it was good enough line to set him offside as we saw. There were also situations where he cleared up behind the other defenders, like it should be, so definitely think he did his part. But of course he is just one part of the team, like everybody else. I would say he was pretty good last season and the season before he was starting most games and we finished second in the league. The point is this you can’t expect much more from a third CB than to be part of a team that wins again and again even though it is the third choice who is playing.

If you want Varane level, who would recommend? There are not many of that level and none of them would be third choice.
I really do not think we can say anyone was good in that shitshow last season but I agree he was not too bad in the season we finished second but I think that may have been more to do with his defensive partner and that would be my answer to the question you pose;
https://www.sportskeeda.com/footbal...r-league-season-2020-21-shaw-alexander-arnold

A-man

I really do not think we can say anyone was good in that shitshow last season but I agree he was not too bad in the season we finished second but I think that may have been more to do with his defensive partner and that would be my answer to the question you pose;
https://www.sportskeeda.com/footbal...r-league-season-2020-21-shaw-alexander-arnold
Again, the point is that even though you always cred everybody else, if he was such a weak link in the team, we would t have got those result. If he was starter for the second best team in the PL two years ago, and has developed since imo, he’s good enough as 3/4th choice.

When is his contract renewal?

Bondi77

Again, the point is that even though you always cred everybody else, if he was such a weak link in the team, we would t have got those result. If he was starter for the second best team in the PL two years ago, and has developed since imo, he’s good enough as 3/4th choice.

I will agree he is ok for 4th and 5th when it comes to the LCB position.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly dont know wtf he was doing for their goal.
We have seen him defend like that over and over and over. Its not going to change.

Actually, I wasn't that irritated by his defensive performance. He didn't have a lot to do and, what little he had to do, he mostly did alright. However, the slow speed at which he moves the ball out of defence drove me crazy. Same with Maguire.

You can see how he and Maguire will be casualties of the Ten Hag era. When you've got Licha or Shaw at left centre back finding Rashford's runs over and over, its horrible to default to seeing our other centre backs take 10 touches, ignore the runs in behind and then call frantically for someone to come short.

Djemba-Djemba

Him and Maguire were both basically fine I thought.

It's just when you are able to watch Varane and Martinez for the best part of 6 months, it's such a notable step down in quality when it goes back to Maguire and Lindelof.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought Reading were targeting him in physical duels and I thought he was never found wanting. Went for everything and came out winning most of the time, if not all of it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Thought Reading were targeting him in physical duels and I thought he was never found wanting. Went for everything and came out winning most of the time, if not all of it.
Yeah, Carroll tried to clatter him a good few times on headers etc and he just stood firm and competed.

Handled it well, I thought.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, Carroll tried to clatter him a good few times on headers etc and he just stood firm and competed.

Handled it well, I thought.
Yeah, I was always expecting him to cower, but he stood up to it all. Great to see.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

It's just when you are able to watch Varane and Martinez for the best part of 6 months, it's such a notable step down in quality when it goes back to Maguire and Lindelof.
It’s a chasm in difference. Championship team with 10 men when Carroll went off still manage to score from a basic corner

A-man

Had no problems with defending tonight.

Honestly dont know wtf he was doing for their goal.
You are confusing him with someone else? The goal was far away from him, not sure how he could have reached that.
It’s a chasm in difference. Championship team with 10 men when Carroll went off still manage to score from a basic corner
We should sack Casemiro and the others.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Which De Gea should come for but doing his Dracula impersonation as usual

Grande

Which is what I guess many who like Lindelöf dreamed of. He is a good CB, and now we have two brilliant CBs ahead of him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There is no reasonable conversation to be had, he’s average. You all won’t accept McTominay in midfield so why accept Lindelof
Lindelof is a comfortably better central defender than McTominay is a central midfielder. He's not good enough as a starter, but it'd be difficult (not impossible but difficult) to have a better squad defender who is happy with that role. Whereas it'd be very easy to improve on Scott.

Of course, that's on the presumption that Lindelof is happy to stick around as a squad player.

Kag

Watching Lindelof and Maguire together after Varane and Martinez really makes it stand out just how long they dally with the fecker.

Varane, in particular, moves it on almost immediately. These two slow it down so much.

TempusFugit

Apparently Inter are interested in him to replace Skriniar, that's after Atletico wanted him too earlier in the window. I also remember Barcelona being interested a few years ago. He's a good player, won't bully forwards but very good at reading the game and good in possession. He's not world class but he's a very solid player. Clearly not as bad as some posters here say he is.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Good news. We might have some taker that want to give us money to move him on.

Acole9

Outstanding
I wouldn't sell him. He's decent cover for Varane and Martinez.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Cover for us or likely a first teamer for Inter.
28 years old now in his prime years, I think he needs to be a regular first player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I wouldn't sell him. He's decent cover for Varane and Martinez.
Someone to cover Varane should be a young centre back to replace Varane in the future. If we can sell both Lindelof and Maguire, we can use the fees to get a new good young centre back with lot of potential.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Internazionale won’t offer very decent money. How much would you lot say he’s worth? Do you think you could get the 35 you paid?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Internazionale won’t offer very decent money. How much would you lot say he’s worth? Do you think you could get the 35 you paid?
I think in the modern day you'd want close to what we paid for him.

Italian clubs are cheap bastards though so they'll probably offer us 6m paid over 12 years.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would still be happy to get £20m-£25m. Let’s say if we can get those money for each Lindelof and Maguire, that will give us £40m-£45m. More than enough to sign a new young centre back.

userman

Not a priority to sell Lindelöf, he provides decent cover at CB. However if Inter are willing to pay around 20-25m those money can be used at a CM in this window (urgent CM-need if Eriksen is out for a longer period).

A-man

I seriously doubt this will happen even though United are in need of money. I can see how ETH would like to keep him and if needing to sell a CB, that would be Maguire who doesn’t really fit the way we are set up now. The money Italian clubs pay will never be enough for United to get someone at the same level.

zenith

Varane is injury prone and given that it'd be a very bad idea to sell both Lindelof and Maguire. I'd much rather have Lindelof here

A-man

Varane is injury prone and given that it'd be a very bad idea to sell both Lindelof and Maguire. I'd much rather have Lindelof here
People seem to think we cannot win matches unless Varane-Martinez start however it is not true. Last time we won a game with Varane - Martinez is more than 100 days ago (19 games ago). It shows that we are dependent on having many options.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Swap like for like with Skriniar but plus a few mill because he isn't out of contract? Wouldn't hate it. 6 months for Skriniar to adapt before we try to offload Maguire in the summer...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
:lol: The fact Varane is injury prone means we need better CB than Lindelof. It's just sensinble and no brainer to sell both to buy a young centre back as long term replacement of Varane. Both Maguire and Lindelof have no future, cash in when the opportunity arises.

Status
Not open for further replies.