Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
A bit off topic, I’m compiling a list of the most vocal ‘haters’ for select players I’ve seen on here. Feel honoured if you end up on my list.

GifLord - AWB
GB - Lindelof
Adnan - DDG
Threesus (feck him) - Rashford

Anyone else I missed?
I dare you to find bigger McT's "hater" than me. I want that trophy.

Idxomer

Never been a fan of his defending style but I feel much more comfortable with him in defence than Maguire.

IMakeThingsUp

Jog on. If you want to accept averageness so be it. You’re (posting populace) all up in arms with Fred or McTominay etc but nothing about someone that does as much if not more errors over the course of a season, I don’t get it

I don't disagree that Lindelöf probably ain't good enough as a starter.

But you still haven't explained the joke. What's funny about calling a united player what you did? Please explain the joke.

Cloud7

Good performance again. I think Maguire made him take a lot of stick because the pair together is not a good combination. It has to be martinez or Varane with him. Martinez is the warrior of the defence so it’s good to have someone calm next to him.
Maguire and no one seems to be a good combination. There's a common denominator there.

I thought Lindelof looked solid yesterday. He won't ever be good enough to start here, but I prefer him as a rotation option to the fridge.

Grande

He didn’t play too well in the first half, but probably the least chaotic among the back seven then. Very good second half, and shows himself as a good a back up option as any CB I know.

Ekeke

I didnt notice him having a particularly good game to be honest, but it turns out he made 3 tackles, 4 interceptions, 8 clearances and 1 blocked shot defensively. And then 4 aerials won.

Thats the kind of all action workload you will rarely (very) ever see from him, so its well worth pointing out that he gave it against Leicester. Also had our most passes so was very involved when we had the ball

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't disagree that Lindelöf probably ain't good enough as a starter.

But you still haven't explained the joke. What's funny about calling a united player what you did? Please explain the joke.
Someone said he’s living up to his nickname and I said that and then, nah he was good today. It was a personal joke to try and get a rise out of @Vidyoyo as that’s how it rolls between us. Him pro Lindelof sun shines out of his arse, me Lindelof is the Satan of defending

my real opinion of him I’ve explained

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Someone said he’s living up to his nickname and I said that and then, nah he was good today. It was a personal joke to try and get a rise out of @Vidyoyo as that’s how it rolls between us. Him pro Lindelof sun shines out of his arse, me Lindelof is the Satan of defending

my real opinion of him I’ve explained
Yeah it made sense to me. These guys need to read more posts to understand our complex redcafe in jokes :)

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He was wild for 20 mins then calmed down.
He has the tools to be very good.
Deffo prefer him to Maguire

golden_blunder

Staff
First you call him a cnut and shit footballer. Then you go on and say it was a joke and continue on how shit he is.

So he is a cnut then?
Read above.

it was a joke. J o k E

and yes I still think he’s a bit shit, I haven’t changed that opinion before he even joined us

MattofManchester

Seems to have gone unnoticed, granted Leicester aren't a physical side, but Lindelof's physical presence was noteworthy.

He stepped up into challenges and aerial balls instead of his usual timid self that backs off everything.

It's great to see him improving to that degree as well.

He's a solid third choice defender. Definitely much more reliable than Maguire.

He had a poor first half, but Leicester walking through our midfield made it very difficult for him and Martinez.

Second half, I thought he managed to outshine Martinez a little.

Olecurls99

Seems to have gone unnoticed, granted Leicester aren't a physical side, but Lindelof's physical presence was noteworthy.

He stepped up into challenges and aerial balls instead of his usual timid self that backs off everything.

It's great to see him improving to that degree as well.

He's a solid third choice defender. Definitely much more reliable than Maguire.

He had a poor first half, but Leicester walking through our midfield made it very difficult for him and Martinez.

Second half, I thought he managed to outshine Martinez a little.
Agreed. I thought he was fantastic yesterday. A great player to have around.

eire-red

Seems to have accepted his position as 3rd choice CB, which is good. You need steady guys like this ready to step in for these type of games. It's great to have him available to manage Varane's minutes too.

What I love now is that there's none of the guys on the fringes kicking up a stink. I think that's one of the benefits of fighting for all trophies. You have guys like Lindelof and Fred who aren't regulars, but they still play a potentially crucial role across 15-20 games a season when they step in for the cups, or to let key players rest.

Guys who accept this and do their jobs regardless are great to have and so good for team morale. The antithesis of the last 5 or so players we've let go.

userman

Great display on Sunday - a solid backup CB to have in the squad and should be the preferred backup for Varane.

Superunknown

I've got a soft spot for him and think he's better than many fans perceive him to be. It's great that we have Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Maguire, and (weirdly now) Shaw for that position - although I'd easily push Shaw into that third best/fourth best cb bracket. That's great cover. It means we can take the pressure of Varane and not push it with him to the point where we break him.

jackal&hyde

In his most recent game I thought he looked more aggressive then usual, in a very good way. He is clear 3ed choice now and I think ETH can work with him to make him better and better.

A-man

I didnt notice him having a particularly good game to be honest, but it turns out he made 3 tackles, 4 interceptions, 8 clearances and 1 blocked shot defensively. And then 4 aerials won.

Thats the kind of all action workload you will rarely (very) ever see from him, so its well worth pointing out that he gave it against Leicester. Also had our most passes so was very involved when we had the ball
Lindelof doesn’t have lower “action workload” than anybody else.

Stats per 90 minutes this season:

Aerials won
Lindelof 2.7 (77% success rate)
Maguire 2.3 (56%)
Varane 1.7 (68%)
Martinez 1.5 (53%)

Tackles
Martinez 2.2
Lindelof 1.3
Varane 1.3
Maguire 0.9

Interceptions
Lindelof 1.5
Martinez 1.4
Maguire 1.3
Varane 0.7

Clearances
Lindelof 4.7
Varane 4.6
Maguire 4.5
Martinez 4.1

Shots blocked
Maguire 1.9
Martinez 1.1
Varane 0.8
Lindelof 0.5

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@A-man

Surely you noticed the difference in his recent performance compared to his usual matches? It was a night and day difference.

The commitment and aggression he showed is something that's been lacking for a long time - if he showed that regularly he'd be a fine defender.

A-man

@A-man

Surely you noticed the difference in his recent performance compared to his usual matches? It was a night and day difference.

The commitment and aggression he showed is something that's been lacking for a long time - if he showed that regularly he'd be a fine defender.
Yes absolutely. He has always had problems with switching on that more aggressive side, but improved that this season.

Olecurls99

Aerials won
Maguire 2.3 (56%)
Varane 1.7 (68%)
Martinez 1.5 (53%)

Tackles
Martinez 2.2
Lindelof 1.3
Varane 1.3
Maguire 0.9

Interceptions
Lindelof 1.5
Martinez 1.4
Maguire 1.3
Varane 0.7

Clearances
Lindelof 4.7
Varane 4.6
Maguire 4.5
Martinez 4.1

Shots blocked
Maguire 1.9
Martinez 1.1
Varane 0.8
Lindelof 0.5
That's nice. Good man Lindy

golden_blunder

Staff

Aerials won
Maguire 2.3 (56%)
Varane 1.7 (68%)
Martinez 1.5 (53%)

Tackles
Martinez 2.2
Lindelof 1.3
Varane 1.3
Maguire 0.9

Interceptions
Lindelof 1.5
Martinez 1.4
Maguire 1.3
Varane 0.7

Clearances
Lindelof 4.7
Varane 4.6
Maguire 4.5
Martinez 4.1

Shots blocked
Maguire 1.9
Martinez 1.1
Varane 0.8
Lindelof 0.5
If you read the stats and didn’t watch the matches you’d have him as one of your two CBs

Man Utd 3:1 West Ham

TheReligion

Abusive
Strange player. Seems to lack confidence and belief in his own ability. Tonight he seemed to finally realise he needed to be more positive with the ball and drove forward, opened up space and picked a pass. Why he doesn’t do this from the start, much like Licha, I’ve no idea?

He is quite capable with the ball but only does it in fits and spurts. I recall him roaming forward against Leeds away last season and in other matches. It seems though he has to spend 30 minutes in his shell before he does it.

Obviously our third choice but it’s frustrating as I think he can do more if he had more self belief and was a little less cowardly.

Strats

He has his abilities, a big problem is playing next to Maguire who I don't think he trusts.

He does look better when he has someone more reliable and capable next to him.

Mmm-Qatarian

I think Lindelof's perception is fairly similar to Maguire's, just that both the praise and the criticism are much less extreme because he didn't cost nearly as much. He's decent enough; I'll happily accept him as a back-up centre back. With that said, he's also not good enough to be starting for us given the level we're now aspiring to.

Halftrack

He has his abilities, a big problem is playing next to Maguire who I don't think he trusts.

He does look better when he has someone more reliable and capable next to him.
Yeah he seems to be influenced a lot by who he's playing next to. With Maguire next to him he's passive and timid, while next to any of the other two he tends to look more assured and plays more on the frontfoot.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He shoudln't really be in the team. His short passing underhitting the ball all the time, while taking 15 touches to release it and playing it on the heels should be highlighted more. He saves his reputation by 1 in 30 games good long pass wchich of course he gets a chance to play because noone will ever think of closing him down because mostly he shit his pants. There will be of course some good games here and there but most often than not he will look like today, losing an important header or challenge for us to concede and playing at snail tempo, hitting the slow rolling passes. Annoying to have in the squad because you can always expect a mistake and hit and miss passing.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Popping in to see the comments. Same old.

Everybody and especially the team look so much better without him. Malacia improved tenfold when he went off. 58 minutes of me cursing at the screen. Hopefully his last game this season (or ever) .

At least one funny bit when he left the player he was supposed to be marking. Pointed (as usual) at the player leaving the player unmarked and went over to mark Maguire. Absolutely clueless player.

Hopefully I won't have to venture into this thread again. Goodbye.

criticalanalysis

If you read the stats and didn’t watch the matches you’d have him as one of your two CBs
Strange player. Seems to lack confidence and belief in his own ability. Tonight he seemed to finally realise he needed to be more positive with the ball and drove forward, opened up space and picked a pass. Why he doesn’t do this from the start, much like Licha, I’ve no idea?

He is quite capable with the ball but only does it in fits and spurts. I recall him roaming forward against Leeds away last season and in other matches. It seems though he has to spend 30 minutes in his shell before he does it.

Obviously our third choice but it’s frustrating as I think he can do more if he had more self belief and was a little less cowardly.
See the post above I quoted. That's Lindelof in a nutshell. A player, who seems above average or even good on paper and has some 'nice' stats but consistently fails to deliver on his own terms.

It's not really strange, we've seen it for how many years now yet people still expect him to play at a high level for the one performance we get out of him every 15-20 games i.e 1-3 times a season. Today he cleared the ball for a throw in to West Ham twice, when he could have easily just shielded it and god forbid actually try to attempt to keep possession or even clear it down the line to keep the momentum. He's an incredibly low risk taker with fundamentally sound qualities but has zero edge unless it's one of those 1-3 times a year. So so passive.

Irwin99

Popping in to see the comments. Same old.

Everybody and especially the team look so much better without him. Malacia improved tenfold when he went off. 58 minutes of me cursing at the screen. Hopefully his last game this season (or ever) .

At least one funny bit when he left the player he was supposed to be marking. Pointed (as usual) at the player leaving the player unmarked and went over to mark Maguire. Absolutely clueless player.

Hopefully I won't have to venture into this thread again. Goodbye.
I genuinely think him and Maguire drag each other down now, especially when they have either Mctominay or Fred shielding them (no criticism of Fred, he's been brilliant recently but that's not his game to drop deep). I think it was against Leicester recently where Lindelof did really well beside Martinez and coincidentally Maguire played way better in the second half tonight when Martinez came on.

Said in the match day thread there was one absolutely unbelievable 'eureka' moment from Lindelof in the first half where he got the ball, looked left and right for a square pass which wasn't on and the fans started to get on his back and then he suddenly charged forward and played a progressive pass; it was almost like he remembered 'oh i forgot, i can actually move FORWARD with the ball'. It just seemed incredible to me that he seemed to realise suddenly that he could actually move with the ball.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd personally be fine with selling him or Maguire in summer, we have too many CBs of similar ages. Martinez is a good age but I'm of the belief you always want at least one really good 19-21 year old snapping at the starter's heels, we have youth in most positions except ST, CM and CB which, as it's the entire spine of the team, may come back to bite us when we need to rebuild later down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.