Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Maguire's top level is higher than Lindelof's. However Lindelof is more consistent and has less truly shit games. Which is quite an issue as Lindelof is hardly that consistent himself. Their first season together was probably the perfect example, where over the course of the entire season they were pretty much exactly the same level, with Lindelof constantly being a 5-7 out of 10, while Maguire bounced around like a damn yo-yo from 3-9.

I've always said I'm happy with Lindelof as our back-up. Or at least happy enough that signing a new backup is a lower priority than quite a few areas in the squad. But I think people are going a little overboard after yesterday and making out that Lindelof's only problem is being partnered with Maguire. He has his own problems regardless of his partner.
Well, I would disagree about Magire's top level being better than Lindelof for a start. I simply don't think that's true, or certainly not true to the extent that it could be definitively stated. But yeah, I agree that he is way more consistent.

And in terms of people going overboard, that's definitely not what I'm doing. I've always rated Lindelof higher than Maguire, and it has nothing to do with yesterday. Of course, he has his own problems, that's why he's a backup to Martinez and Varanne who are both superior, but I do think it's true to say that he is unfairly treated because he often partners Maguire, and is associated with the shit show that follows. Not to say he hasn't ever contributed to said shit show because he has, but I don't like how they're often thought of as one person. Like the example of McTominay and Fred, I mentioned above.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's like Fred in that he gets unfairly lumped in with the other player in their past partnership as "both are shit" when in fact Fred and Lindelof are both very good players, bit inconsistent at times but far more suited to a big club like United than either Maguire or McTominay who belong at mid table clubs. Lindelof and Fred are both just very good squad players.
Whilst there may be a bit of that I don’t think it’s fair to say that’s all it is, there has been 6 years of individual basic errors, no commitment to challenges, hiding, etc which cannot he attributed to just playing beside Maguire. Recognising your own faults and addressing those would be a great start for any player.
if he comes in and produces like he did yesterday then I would be very happy. But I always get the impression we’re one performance away from a real stinker with him. Let’s see how he kicks on from here

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Jones had an excuse. Is also argue that fully fit Jones was more suitable to English football than VL

Anyway I don’t see the point you’re making
Fully fit Jones is like u unicorn, it exists only in your imagination.

There wasn't any real point tbh, just that Lindelof is much better than your love child.

redshaw

Would have to see how he is alongside either Varane or Martinez in different games. I thought he'd be Varane's partner 2 years ago yet don't recall him doing well, him or Maguire seem to be a problem. Would be good if he could be rotated with our main two to keep them fresh and be a solid partner for either so we can rely on 3 main defenders and give Lindelof the minutes needed, he said recently he wants to play and could look for a move. Lindelof has got good passing. Perhaps a better keeper behind will help.

I was pleased to see him and Shaw have good game yesterday. He really fought hard, De Gea seemed up to making amends.

golden_blunder

Staff

There wasn't any real point tbh, just that Lindelof is much better than your love child.
So because I defend a player from over the top abuse simply because he’s been injured putting his body on the line for United, he’s a love child? Behave yourself child

Lyng

Jones before his injuries was a very good defender. He was a fantastic talent that sadly got ruined by injuries.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
So because I defend a player from over the top abuse simply because he’s been injured putting his body on the line for United, he’s a love child? Behave yourself child
No one is abusing him because he's injured but because he was/is shit player, stop trying this holier than thou shit, it doesn't suit you

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think this will be Maguire's fourth season with us, and in my opinion he wasn't as bad in the first two. In fact Maguire played well in the season that we finished second.
There was a period in time where losing Maguire was the worst thing possible for us. We absolutely crumbled that season without him and started shipping goals. Funny how things change.

golden_blunder

Staff
No one is abusing him because he's injured but because he was/is shit player, stop trying this holier than thou shit, it doesn't suit you
Maybe you should try reading the threads. It’s hard to be the best he can be when he’s been horribly affected by injuries

Cathy Ferguson

The Brighton game suited him very well, but in general he struggles with pacy and strong strikers. He is a good defender and he is better on the ball than Varane and has a great long pass. He is better suited to Spanish or Italian football and would collect a higher transfer fee than Maguire. I do not trust him to be our no 3 CB and does he want to stay as our 4th choice?

mu4c_20le

There was a period in time where losing Maguire was the worst thing possible for us. We absolutely crumbled that season without him and started shipping goals. Funny how things change.
He should never have gone to Greece.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Maybe you should try reading the threads. It’s hard to be the best he can be when he’s been horribly affected by injuries
He had decent first season with us, everything else was meh and even without injuries he was always prone to brain farts (mistakes) and suspect positioning which he had to compensate with tackles and playing like brave heart. Injuries are just poor excuse for him since he never really kicked on from that promising youngster he once was at Blackburn to serious CB and it's easy route for Jones apologist to throw in 'oh but injuries' excuse.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Nothing against Maguire here but our depth was absolutely horrible back then. Bailly, Rojo, Tuanzebe and Phil Jones (when fit) was our rotation. We've upgraded substantially since then, thank feck.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I have liked Lindelof this season.

Id love an ambidextrous CB that can play LCB and RCB as our signing.

criticalanalysis

Yep, he's had the occasional match where he's shown a lot more aggression but doesn't seem to be able to maintain it. I remember him dominating Juventus a few years ago and being the best player on the pitch, then again against Leicester in the last match of the season where the winner got top four.

Hopefully he can maintain it this time until the end of the season at least.
For the better of Utd, I hope he can step up a level but I'm not holding my breath as we've seen 5-6 years of this.

Which is an ironic thing to get hung up on as most of the shit he has got this season has been based on just 90 minutes against Sevilla. Every other time he’s been called upon this season he’s been good to excellent.
He really hasn't. There's a lot of revisionism going on because of his performance against Brighton that it's been over corrected to the other extreme now. His performances earlier in the season were very iffy but he's been okay for the last few games if you discount Seville and Newcastle. You can check yourself by going through the threadmarks in this thread alone. The fact people are saying 'it's Maguire's fault he looked so bad before' is quite ridiculous really as Lindelof has had over 200+ games in his career here. There's never been one point where most Utd fans have said 'oh that Lindelof, he looks like he's got elite attributes and has had an outstanding period of form for us'. He doesn't come close to the impact or contribution in terms Fred or AWB i.e other maligned Utd 'squad' players yet he's gets credit as a steady eddy because Lindelof's bottom level doesn't fluctuate as wildly due to his non-engaging/passive game style. He has everything to prove imo from now until the end of the season.

A-man

Maguire was good that season, maybe even our best player. But when he got injured we had just secured top-4 and nobody seemed to care that much, plus the coach experimented with new constellation like Tuanzebe- Bailly. The only match we shipped goals was against Liverpool 2-4. Same season we shipped 6 goals against Spurs with him as a starter.

Last edited:
Tottenham 2:2 Man Utd

criticalanalysis

Good for the first 10 mins then all over the place the whole game. Came short and got turned, backed off constantly and then was pretty much non-existent in the box when we needed him. New partnership with Shaw so I can't blame him for the positional disarray (both of them) but you would expect a bit more composure and leadership from the Swedish captain.

Bondi77

Not good today but he had no protection from midfield and if someone decent is running at him he is always going to struggle as he is not the quickest and he is so passive.

Sylar

It's weird cos the two chances in the first half happened cos of awb.
Second half before their goal he made a great header (which I thought was a foul on him) to clear the ball. Then it's hard to say he was at fault for either goal and it was just a mess by united

lex talionis

Decent performance, but there were a few occasions when he got bullied but nothing came of it.

Doracle

Had a bit of a shocker in the first half. Some of the non-defending against Richarlison was unbelievably bad. Improved in the second half and one very good header under pressure.

A-man

Him and AWB struggled with Richardson a few times, other than that I thought he was quite good. Stepped up high and won back possession, good in the air, and good thru passes when Spurs pressed (the first goal as example).
They talked about it on tv how Lindelof plays higher up the pitch, early tackles, winning back possession etc when he is paired with someone like Shaw whom he can trust to cover for him, as compared to how held back he is when paired with Maguire whom he always need cover the space behind for.

Raven

Him and AWB struggled with Richardson a few times, other than that I thought he was quite good. Stepped up high and won back possession, good in the air, and good thru passes when Spurs pressed (the first goal as example).
They talked about it on tv how Lindelof plays higher up the pitch, early tackles, winning back possession etc when he is paired with someone like Shaw whom he can trust to cover for him, as compared to how held back he is when paired with Maguire whom he always need cover the space behind for.
He was also pretty good at beating the press by dribbling out of trouble.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As many said: he's not a bad defender, but not exceptional either. Good squad member, but not good enough to start every week.

Raven

Agree. Both him and Shaw look very comfortable under press.
It's a skill I feel Lindelof doesn't use enough because he's proven over the years that he's absolutely capable of it but only does it one game out of 4 or 5.

Shinjch

Decent squad player, but would never trust him in backs against the wall spells during a game. Too passive, when combined with De Gea in goal is just asking for problems.

Sylar

It's a skill I feel Lindelof doesn't use enough because he's proven over the years that he's absolutely capable of it but only does it one game out of 4 or 5.
One i havent seen him use enough is that long ball over the top for Rashford. Id like to see that from time to time especially when Rashford is up top and oppositions have higher defences. Even if its not a chance, it will turn their defence and Rashford will beat most people with pace.

A-man

Absolutely. I think it’s a combination of two things. He is a player who sticks to instructions and tactics (maybe too much) and I don’t think his previous coaches have asked for it. With ETH that has changed. And playing with Maguire and Bailly, he has always been the last man. With Shaw he has a fast and smart partner who covers if his dribble fail.

Ekeke

2nd half especially at the start of it when Spurs came out of the blocks fast, he made several clearances under no pressure where he just got the ball out and sent it straight back to Spurs to continue their pressure when it was easy to take a touch and let us keep the ball for a bit. Really helped turn the tide in their favour

criticalanalysis

2nd half especially at the start of it when Spurs came out of the blocks fast, he made several clearances under no pressure where he just got the ball out and sent it straight back to Spurs to continue their pressure when it was easy to take a touch and let us keep the ball for a bit. Really helped turn the tide in their favour
Yeah I noticed that as well. They were really poor clearances; mishit or fluffed floated balls where it was hard to win the first or second ball.

First half, I felt Shaw covered his ass a few times and anytime AWB wasn't there, Lindelof backed into the penalty box or was nowhere to be seen. Really strange. Second half, he didn't help organise the defence or direct Shaw when and where to press or cover as they were both out of sorts. The midfield was porous but I saw little composure from the Swede. He did have one good headed clearance in the box.

Raven

One i havent seen him use enough is that long ball over the top for Rashford. Id like to see that from time to time especially when Rashford is up top and oppositions have higher defences. Even if its not a chance, it will turn their defence and Rashford will beat most people with pace.
Absolutely, he's proven his class multiple times with this.
Absolutely. I think it’s a combination of two things. He is a player who sticks to instructions and tactics (maybe too much) and I don’t think his previous coaches have asked for it. With ETH that has changed. And playing with Maguire and Bailly, he has always been the last man. With Shaw he has a fast and smart partner who covers if his dribble fail.
Yeah, I feel that he may follow instructions a little too closely at times.

Abraxas

I don't think I'm ever not going to be slightly concerned when Lindelof is in the team. He's very passive and beatable across the ground and in the air. Nothing about him dominates. Richarlison looked quite hard for him to handle.

But he does read the game okay and can handle the ball. He's 4th choice material and as long as that's where he is next season it's probably okay. I'd rather have a promising youngster in that position, but at the same time, they may not get enough football to develop, whereas I really don't care what football Lindelof gets. He's like a trusty old Volvo I'm happy to park in shit neighborhoods and busy supermarket car parks.

I would say Luke Shaw has looked as good as Lindelof has ever looked within a handful of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.