Foot: Right
Player Agent: HCM Sports Management
Squad Number: #2
Contract Expires: Jun 30, 2024
Contract Option: Option for a further year
Date of Last Contract Extension: Sep 18, 2019​

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Really worried about one of our admins in here this year…
Meh, he has that long pass in his locker but that’s about it, really.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Our best defender last year
In the first half of the season, yes. Was the worst of our main three in the second half.

and as good as Maguire the year before
Definitely not. Maguire did start that season poorly, but the second half of that season was comfortably better than Lindelof has ever performed and the best any of our defenders have had since Smalling in 15/16. I'd say Maguire and Lindelof were at a similar level in 19/20 though.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Meh, he has that long pass in his locker but that’s about it, really.
I dont really agree. There have been given quite a bit of attention to the need for speed at the back if we want to play with a high line. I think people ignore that de Ligt, Martinez and Blind are not very fast at all. But they are aggressive.

I think that will be a difference. Our defenders will be instructed/encouraged to be aggressive and command the area between them and the midfielders. While Lindeløf is not an aggressive defender by nature, I do think it could suit him.

I also think he is a player that will enjoy a better structure in buildup. And I think there is a good chance EtH will try to make more use of his ability to break the lines (both with runs and passing).

Olecurls99

Think Erik will like him. He keeps the ball well. He can pick out a through ball from deep. Doesn't dive in when defending. Him and Varane can have a very good partnership.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Think Erik will like him. He keeps the ball well. He can pick out a through ball from deep. Doesn't dive in when defending. Him and Varane can have a very good partnership.
You have to be near the attacker to facilitate diving in. Backing off 10 yards away would be quite the leap

Irwin99

Really worried about one of our admins in here this year…
:lol:

I have defended him on and off at times and i think there is a good defender there but his passivity really irritates the life out of me. It's just infuriating and I gave up on him at the end of last season.

I do. We should all know what to expect from him after 6 bloody years of this fraud

Just checked and this will be his 6th season. Fecking hell :eek:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He's good with the ball, has an eye for a pass and can read/bust up a play. He's just not as good as our other options at central defense (despite the scapegoating). Mind you, I would like to see what he can do as a DM. He has all the attributes...

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Worried about him this season. I was particularly shocked by the video of him returning to Carrington. Hope he's ok.

Elcabron

If we sign Martinez then I would be selling him and Bailey. That 50m the two of them combined should fetch would go a long way to funding a striker. I like Victor but with Martinez, Varane and Maguire and no CL football the stockpiling of centre backs should now cease. Menghi can make up the squad numbers.

I would go further and also sell Donny and Elanga. Not sure where Donny fits in now with Ericksen. I like Elanga for his attitude but I just don't think he will ever be good enough for us and cash in now while his stock is high, he is a full Swedish international now......another 50m or close to it for those two and there are the funds for our striker.

Olecurls99

If we sign Martinez then I would be selling him and Bailey. That 50m the two of them combined should fetch would go a long way to funding a striker. I like Victor but with Martinez, Varane and Maguire and no CL football the stockpiling of centre backs should now cease. Menghi can make up the squad numbers.

I would go further and also sell Donny and Elanga. Not sure where Donny fits in now with Ericksen. I like Elanga for his attitude but I just don't think he will ever be good enough for us and cash in now while his stock is high, he is a full Swedish international now......another 50m or close to it for those two and there are the funds for our striker.
Nobody buys Man United players. We just lend them for free. We're like a charity

Drizzle

Mind you, I would like to see what he can do as a DM. He has all the attributes...
Does he have 360° spatial awareness? Is he press resistant? Does he have tricks and skills to dribble past players into space? Does he know when to slow the game down, or speed it up?

sillwuka

You need 4 solid options at CB with Europa league and other comps. Lindelof, Maguire, Varane, Martinez for next season i feel. Offload Axel and Bailly.

Abraxas

He's good with the ball, has an eye for a pass and can read/bust up a play. He's just not as good as our other options at central defense (despite the scapegoating). Mind you, I would like to see what he can do as a DM. He has all the attributes...
No, he most certainly doesn't. Takes 20 minutes to decide what to do, slow about the pitch, easily beaten, wouldn't be able to take the ball under pressure. He's an average CB so there's no reason whatsoever to think he'd be excellent in an unnatural position.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
No, he most certainly doesn't. Takes 20 minutes to decide what to do, slow about the pitch, easily beaten, wouldn't be able to take the ball under pressure. He's an average CB so there's no reason whatsoever to think he'd be excellent in an unnatural position.
I feel like nobody watches him play, I mean properly watch. If they did they wouldn’t be suggesting he plays DM.
I mean how can you play DM when your first instinct to “defend” is to start back pedalling?
How can you when you take so much time on the ball to make a decision?
how can you when your positioning is all over the place?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Does he have 360° spatial awareness? Is he press resistant? Does he have tricks and skills to dribble past players into space? Does he know when to slow the game down, or speed it up?
Sorry, I forgot how literal everyone is here so allow me to reword it for picky little f***ers like you.

"He seems like he might have the attributes and I'd like to see if DM might be a position he could excel in

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I doubt we'll be seeing him any more bar an injury crisis and maybe the occasional cup game here and there .

A-man

Decent start for him and Varane. Both were clearly playing according to new instructions with very high pressing and more balls through the line. I think Lindelof is one of the players who will develop in a good way under ETH.

criticalanalysis

https://ibb.co/54mxxR3

Here's a still of the moment the opposition player plays the pass.

I've had someone argue that Lindelof was correct in playing the offside trap here and that Maguire was at fault. In that passage of play, it would have been suicidal for Maguire to have been on the half way line.

Lindelof gambled recklessly, didn't know where he or his team mates were and fecked up by being in no man's land.

Dominos

I've had someone argue that Lindelof was correct in playing the offside trap here and that Maguire was at fault. In that passage of play, it would have been suicidal for Maguire to have been on the half way line.

Lindelof gambled recklessly, didn't know where he or his team mates were and fecked up by being in no man's land.
Awful.

One issue slower centre backs have is they want to over compensate either way because they can't bare the thought of being in a foot-race with the attacker. Either they commit to an offside trap when they shouldn't, or they drop off way too deep so there's less space in behind but in turn makes the team less compact.

Renegade

exactly! Remember when people kept suggesting Rio and Rooney could play midfield then they were shown up when they eventually did.

Mmm-Qatarian

I think it's sensible to attribute all of this to a simple lack of familiarity with a new system combined with a lack of match sharpness.

As with Maguire, I think it's stupid to make any sweeping conclusions about Lindelof's suitability based on this alone.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Doesn't matter how many centrebacks we sign this guy still end up playing somehow it's like a nightmare that never end and as a Swede I have to watch him for our NT also oh joy hehe.

Tony247

In first half today once he just gave up the chase. I have seen this last season too. Worrying from a CB.

crossy1686

career ending
The only thing missing from his game really is aggression and a desire to win the ball early. He has all the makings of a modern CB but no fight. Hope that changes this season for everyone’s sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.