Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Similarly to DDG it seems that Lindelof had benefited greatly playing alongside a competent CB instead of a fridge. Go figures.

Woodywizz

As others have said, he’s stepped up to the plate when needed. I was one of his harshest critics but he’s come into his own over these last few weeks - amazing how much confidence and aggression he has when not having to constantly keep one eye on Maguire’s feck ups.

slored1

On current form best 3rd choice CB in the league
He has been good but City have Akanji, Dias, Laporte, Stones and potentially Ake as CBs, who are all better. I think Matip is better than him as well.

All in all, he is steadily getting better. Hope he stays in the summer.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Thought he was excellent and pulled himself right back into contention, agree with others that he's 3rd place but its not by much, he'll pushing for starting spots next season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
3rd best at the club, bro. Not playing with Maquire helps make any defender look better. Definitely worth keeping in the squad.
I'm not usually piling into our player, and still think Maguire is decent to very good (on his day) CB. But it does make you wonder why Lindelof doesn't play like a clown next to Shaw or Varane.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just continues to show that it wasn't him who was the problem, it was and always has been H. One can play the game as it is intended, the other just isn't good enough.
I don’t agree with this seasons narrative that it’s been because of Maguire that he’s been naff. He’s played for us for 6 years, that’s more than enough time to see the errors that he make’s individually even when Maguire is nowhere near the team. look at the Swedish team, they used to put 2 big lumps beside him.

anyway, aside from his usual brain fart yesterday he had a great game

golden_blunder

Staff
Thought he was excellent and pulled himself right back into contention, agree with others that he's 3rd place but its not by much, he'll pushing for starting spots next season.
Only because of injuries

And if we do somehow end up with him as first choice then we will have learnt nothing, he’s not reliable enough

A-man

Because he’s not being passive and reactive like he used to be. This is what we are talking about being aggressive and proactive even if it means conceded foul in the middle of the pitch. Not pussy.
Obviously not about being a pussy. Players play largely according to instructions, especially someone like Lindelof who we can see moves anround and gets into other positions every minute under ETH. Thats why he could change style so fast, not because he was a pussy and then one day to another took some magic potion. When you play with a pushing aggressive CBs as Maguire he was always the covering CB and could never expect Maguire to cover from him. Therefore he backed down and let Maguire handle the pushing.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I'll comment on his form after the city game.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Obviously not about being a pussy. Players play largely according to instructions, especially someone like Lindelof who we can see moves anround and gets into other positions every minute under ETH. Thats why he could change style so fast, not because he was a pussy and then one day to another took some magic potion. When you play with a pushing aggressive CBs as Maguire he was always the covering CB and could never expect Maguire to cover from him. Therefore he backed down and let Maguire handle the pushing.
So fast? It took him 9 months under ETH to be an aggressive and proactive. He played passively next to varane, shaw or Martinez in those 9 months. Martinez doesn’t need to use Maguire as an excuse, he still plays proactive and aggressive even when he played next to Maguire.

ETH demands both his centre back to be aggressive and proactive, good example is what he had at Ajax both timber and Martinez are proactive and aggressive. That’s why ETH has been picking maguire more over Lindelof before end of April because Lindelof tends to be too passive and reactive.

The semi final FA Cup vs Brighton was when Lindelof started showing aggression and play more proactive when defending. This is what I expect him to do when defending. Not passive or being pussy.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I don’t agree with this seasons narrative that it’s been because of Maguire that he’s been naff. He’s played for us for 6 years, that’s more than enough time to see the errors that he make’s individually even when Maguire is nowhere near the team. look at the Swedish team, they used to put 2 big lumps beside him.

anyway, aside from his usual brain fart yesterday he had a great game
That was hardly a brainfart and if you look at it again I'd say Shaw was at least as much at fault as Lindelöf was.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
surly
Might as well wait and comment on everyone's form then if that's the bar.
Surely you're not expecting of me to dish out praises to a guy who's been part of the reason we've been so bad defensively over the last 3-5 years, simply because he's been decent in a handful of games, were the opposite are mediocre at best?

Like i said I'll talk about his form after the season game.

golden_blunder

Staff
That was hardly a brainfart and if you look at it again I'd say Shaw was at least as much at fault as Lindelöf was.
2 wrongs don’t make a right. So they both had a brain fart. The problem is that Lindelof is generally involved in one a game even in his better games so for me people are getting carried away when saying he could be A first pick CB next season

top1whoisman

Scout
2 wrongs don’t make a right. So they both had a brain fart. The problem is that Lindelof is generally involved in one a game even in his better games so for me people are getting carried away when saying he could be A first pick CB next season
I wouldn’t call either a brainfart. No players goes through 90 minutes without making mistakes. When defenders (or keepers) do them, they are more obvious and costly. Last few weeks I can’t recall Lindelöf having any brainfarts.

I think rotation/backup CB is what he should be, although the problem is that Varane will likely miss plenty of games.

Denis79

Just continues to show that it wasn't him who was the problem, it was and always has been H. One can play the game as it is intended, the other just isn't good enough.
2 weeks of form proves nothing, as a football fan you should know this.

golden_blunder

Staff
We don’t know yet if this “form” is a purple patch because it’s out of sync with the 6 years that he’s been here. Almost like our defensive version of Lingard

golden_blunder

Staff
I wouldn’t call either a brainfart. No players goes through 90 minutes without making mistakes. When defenders (or keepers) do them, they are more obvious and costly. Last few weeks I can’t recall Lindelöf having any brainfarts.

I think rotation/backup CB is what he should be, although the problem is that Varane will likely miss plenty of games.
If Moore (I think it was?) had scored we would be having a different conversation I think. Lucky

top1whoisman

Scout
If Moore (I think it was?) had scored we would be having a different conversation I think. Lucky
Oh I have no doubt that the Caf would go crazy because a player made a mistake. Doesn’t mean that objectively looking he didn’t have another very good game.

A-man

So fast? It took him 9 months under ETH to be an aggressive and proactive. He played passively next to varane, shaw or Martinez in those 9 months. Martinez doesn’t need to use Maguire as an excuse, he still plays proactive and aggressive even when he played next to Maguire.

ETH demands both his centre back to be aggressive and proactive, good example is what he had at Ajax both timber and Martinez are proactive and aggressive. That’s why ETH has been picking maguire more over Lindelof before end of April because Lindelof tends to be too passive and reactive.

The semi final FA Cup vs Brighton was when Lindelof started showing aggression and play more proactive when defending. This is what I expect him to do when defending. Not passive or being pussy.
Sure Martinez is aggressive and pushing even when playing with Maguire, while Lindelof (and Varane) have been more covering CBs. But do you really think Maguire - Martinez partnership is a success? It doesn’t work at all imo.

Ibi Dreams

We don’t know yet if this “form” is a purple patch because it’s out of sync with the 6 years that he’s been here. Almost like our defensive version of Lingard
I think that's harsh. He's not a brilliant centre back, but he's a pretty decent rotation option. I'm fine with him staying with us basically, whereas with Lingard I really wanted him gone (purely for football reasons, never disliked him on a personal level)

This is hardly the first time he's shown good form, he's had lots of good spells and good games in his time with us. He's occasionally been rubbish too, which is why he's no longer first choice

top1whoisman

Scout
Have I not said on the odd game that he’s played well “good game”, “great game” etc

you do realise that it’s only 21 May now so not a big sample size?
You have, that’s fair. Just wondering when it’s more than a purple patch in your view.

top1whoisman

Scout
I guess with only a couple of matches left that’s hard to prove unless he continues the consistency into next season
That's kind of what I meant. It feels like the goal posts move a bit with you regarding Lindelöf.

You first said:

Well let’s see if he carries this new form into the last few matches or if he reverts to usual fare.
...but now you're talking about the start of next season. Wonder how many good matches it would take for you to admit that he's quite a decent player and apart from City you'd struggle to name a better 3rd CB in the league.

criticalanalysis

You said the same in the beginning of May too. At which does he deserve credit?
I didn't see the last game so can't comment on that performance but it's funny people ignore the beginning of this season where you can literally look at the threadmarks in this thread to see he was playing quite badly in limited games against very poor opposition. So let's ignore the start of the next season as long as he picks up form and finishes 'strongly' at the end of it? He's had recent poor games against West Ham, Seville and Spurs but all of a sudden he's been 'great since coming in' and is 'the 3rd best centre back', which is largely founded on what, a recent form of 10 games (?).

The truth is that, based on the past 6 years, he's got plenty to prove that to be the case.

At this current moment, It's true he is playing a lot better and long may that continue for Utd. He's in the equation of being a long term good squad member because perhaps he has turned a corner but it's not outlandish at all to query his overall quality when the going gets tough and that if the rumours are true of a Kim transfer in the summer, then his place could and should come under scrutiny.

top1whoisman

Scout
I didn't see the last game so can't comment on that performance but it's funny people ignore the beginning of this season where you can literally look at the threadmarks in this thread to see he was playing quite badly in limited games against very poor opposition. So let's ignore the start of the next season as long as he picks up form and finishes 'strongly' at the end of it? He's had recent poor games against West Ham, Seville and Spurs but all of a sudden he's been 'great since coming in' and is 'the 3rd best centre back', which is largely founded on what, a recent form of 10 games (?).

The truth is that, based on the past 6 years, he's got plenty to prove that to be the case.

At this current moment, It's true he is playing a lot better and long may that continue for Utd. He's in the equation of being a long term good squad member because perhaps he has turned a corner but it's not outlandish at all to query his overall quality when the going gets tough and that if the rumours are true of a Kim transfer in the summer, then his place could and should come under scrutiny.
Which 3rd CB in the league is better then?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sure Martinez is aggressive and pushing even when playing with Maguire, while Lindelof (and Varane) have been more covering CBs. But do you really think Maguire - Martinez partnership is a success? It doesn’t work at all imo.
Varane has been aggressive and pushing. The partnership of Varane and Martinez has been successful and works. The failure of Maguire isn’t because of his partnership with Martinez. Maguire played next to Lindelof, and still doesn’t work at all. ETH demands both of his centre back to be aggressive. This is what he demands in his players and his centre back.

Status
Not open for further replies.