Victor Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.

spenzo

Boulahrouz wore the #9 shirt as well, didn't he? In one way that doesn't make him any worse but in another it very much does.
Yeah he did and yes it does :lol: It coincided with the other classic, Gallas #10 at Arsenal.

lysglimt

Scout
I have seen him play plenty - and the idea of spending £40 million on him is just insane. He simply isn't better than what we have.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Hummels is 27 and was about to enter the last year of his contract. Lindelöf is 22 and has 3,5 years left on his deal. These factors influence the price.
It's still a bit of Premiere Legue tax, if Bayern should buy Süle for €25m.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It's still a bit of Premiere Legue tax, if Bayern should buy Süle for €25m.
Oh there's absolutely that, too. Hummels was not a great comparison for the reasons mentioned. Hummels also pushed for a transfer to Bayern so Dortmund had very little options but to sell him to Bayern. Drove the price down as well.

spenzo

It's always worrying when you don't have at least one expert on the player relentlessly defending them throughout the thread...

Devil may care

I am not interested in long debates about rojo either. All in saying is hes too rash to play as cb so its either lb or out. We are a top club and thats the standard set. We dont lower standards to keep players at home. Players has to step up or they leave.

I dont think its going to be too hard for rojo to do well either. Mou loves converted fullbacks. He will be basically a cb in a far less sensitive area
I think he's been excellent for the last 9 games and he had some good games at CB for us in his first season, at the end of the season we should evaluate how he's done, if we judged defenders purely on their rash moments then Vidic would have been sold, he had that red flash as well, lets see how the rest of the season plays out, but Rojo should be sold if LB were his only position here, he's dreadful in that role and has stunk in it consistently for us. You seem to have a liking for this negative CB as a FB thing that Mou has done but he can leave that out at United, get Semedo to compete with Tony and get a proper LB to compete with Shaw.

Obiorahking_

We have great consistency with Rojo and Jones starting together with every game with freaking Baily and Smalling on the bench. Tough call this one.

Gerald G

Yeah he did and yes it does :lol: It coincided with the other classic, Gallas #10 at Arsenal.
We pay Premier League tax and then we pay Manchester United tax. I don't know if I'll ever get used to these stupid prices teams in the Premier League pay for players.

spenzo

We pay Premier League tax and then we pay Manchester United tax. I don't know if I'll ever get used to these stupid prices teams in the Premier League pay for players.
Don't think you meant to quote me mate

Mark McMaw

Anyone who thinks Rojo and jones are good enough long term are nuts yes they're having a good spell togeather but let's be honest Rojo should of been sent of twice already and jones scares me everytime he's on the ball. I haven't seen this guy play so I can't say if he's worth it etc but i trust Jose I didn't have a clue who Bailly was and that turned out okay.

Last edited:

JustinC00

Didn't have a clue who he was until I just checked. Will Benfica really sell us two players in their starting back four?
Obviously this is slightly different but in 2011 they sold David Luiz in the winter and then sold Fabio Coentrao in the summer. So they have shown before they don't have a problem selling two of their starting back four.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Smalling is simply not good enough for united, Jones might be but is too injury prone, rojo is good back up, blind is dire at CB. United do need a top CB, esecially given that valencia isn't all that good a defender, whoever plays at LB is worse and carrick is like 10000 years old. I'm just not sure it's smart to partner two 23 year olds in the one position where experience trumps everything else. Also i have no idea how good this kid is, but there were a lot of teams interested, so he has to have some qualities

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It is a tricky situation this one
If we want to get back to where we was, we need to replicate a partnership as close to the Rio Vidic one as possible.
We are doing well at the moment, which hypes up Jones and Rojo. Bailly who has come in and done fantastic and then we have Smalling who has been solid for the last two years.

The problem is, are they close to Rio and Vidic, no, but in the same argument, we was fortunate to have such a great pair, and it will always be a push to get anywhere near that defence.

I don't know how good this Lindelof is though, so I can't really comment. United bought him on my FM save, so in my opinion, the deal is as good as done.

Z_Wolf

Hummels is 27 and was about to enter the last year of his contract. Lindelöf is 22 and has 3,5 years left on his deal. These factors influence the price.
Clearly, we are overpaying if we actually pay €40m. just like Martial. Dembele went for €15m.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Clearly, we are overpaying if we actually pay €40m. just like Martial. Dembele went for €15m.
I think Dembele's low fee was something to do with Dortmund, Puma and the Rennes' presidents Puma connections.

Because we discovered and were in contact with him long before the big hype started. That was the deciding factor here. The Pinault (owner of Rennes and Puma) connection probably helped aswell, but mostly to lower the fee for him.
Apparently SportBild confirmed that his mother visited Dortmund and that Dortmudn already would've bought him last winter, however because of their good relationship with Renne's leadership (Puma) they supposedly let him finish the season in France.
I doubt it. Even if we dismiss L´Equipe (which offered way more details about the deal than Sportbild did), at least Rennes´ local paper "Ouest France" with close ties to the club cites their own sources and confirms Dembele´s decision.

I outlined this before but I believe the big trump card Dortmund has in this deal over the competition (especially a French one like PSG) is Rennes owner Pinault himself. Dortmund is besides Arsenal the biggest advertising flagship for one of his own companies (PUMA) and he even technically owns part of the BVB via said company. That means that Pinault´s interest here could go further than just the transfer fee and it would be kinda a deal "inside the family".

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Mourinho is also concerned about cover at centre-half, with the former Chelsea manager determined to ensure that Marcos Rojo, Phil Jones and the fit-again Chris Smalling are pushed by top-level competition for places -- a situation the Portuguese believes is still lacking at the back.
Interesting bit from the Ogden article, makes sense too.

Theonas

Scout
Interesting bit from the Ogden article, makes sense too.
Not really, Mourinho's teams in the past all had a very clear well defined central pairing. Surely if he wanted competition, it would have been noticeable from his previous team selections? Add to that the fact that there is virtually no top team in the planet who has 4 defenders competing for those 2 positions and it makes no sense.

Devil may care

Not really, Mourinho's teams in the past all had a very clear well defined central pairing. Surely if he wanted competition, it would have been noticeable from his previous team selections? Add to that the fact that there is virtually no top team in the planet who has 4 defenders competing for those 2 positions and it makes no sense.
I think it's more of a case of this team being weak mentally and used to failing and still getting starts. If players feel they have to perform to start it will seperate the Wheat from the chaff, we've seen it with Rooney, Herrera didn't start the season ahead of Fellaini, Darmian has gotten a chance to move ahead of Blind, Rojo has been allowed to win his spot as the LCB over Blind, Mkhitaryan had to earn the RW spot and now Lingard has taken his chance ahead of Martial, Mata and Rashford, Jose is setting up a survival of the fittest situation, the ones that don't cut it will get cut as he shapes the squad.

peridigm

We have great consistency with Rojo and Jones starting together with every game with freaking Baily and Smalling on the bench. Tough call this one.
I pleased Jones/Rojo have done well while Bailly/Smalling were injured. We already know what Bailly can do. If Jose wants Lidelof, he's going to start along side of Bailly. I like this deal a lot better than the Fonte rumors.

Flytan

I think Smalling's "toughness" and overall attitude as a CB didn't rub well with Jose. He played really well in recent years but I don't think he has a level of "toughness" that most CBs Mourinho seems to prefer.

edcunited1878

Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof with Rojo as CB and fullback cover. Bailly can play right back ad well. That leaves Blind as second or third choice LB. Blind might be on the market, but I hope I'm wrong.

OohAahMartial

Why? because I've said he's captain material? I said the same about Bruce and Rio. I wasn't wrong
He was the U21 Sweden Captain so he has leadership skills, I do think we need that at the back. I hope he's the sort to organise his backline and be vocal like Rio. If we don't buy leaders we won't have a good Captain in the future.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think he's been excellent for the last 9 games and he had some good games at CB for us in his first season, at the end of the season we should evaluate how he's done, if we judged defenders purely on their rash moments then Vidic would have been sold, he had that red flash as well, lets see how the rest of the season plays out, but Rojo should be sold if LB were his only position here, he's dreadful in that role and has stunk in it consistently for us. You seem to have a liking for this negative CB as a FB thing that Mou has done but he can leave that out at United, get Semedo to compete with Tony and get a proper LB to compete with Shaw.
2 of which he should end up red carded. Mou is Portuguese and he's somehow has a similar culture to mine. So here's the drill.

a- Defences need stability, stability comes from 4 back four playing together week in week out
b- Mourinho seems even more obsessed about it then the run of the mill Spanish/Portuguese/Italian manager. On top of a stable backline he likes to add a converted CB as full back. He's been doing that for quite some time (Gallas, Chivu, Ramos, Ivanovic etc)
c- For some reason (shitness from our defenders, injury prone players) we fail to have a regular back four. We had been failing to do so for 3 years now

Hence he's adding new people to the defence.

OohAahMartial

2 of which he should end up red carded. Mou is Portuguese and he's somehow has a similar culture to mine. So here's the drill.

a- Defences need stability, stability comes from 4 back four playing together week in week out
b- Mourinho seems even more obsessed about it then the run of the mill Spanish/Portuguese/Italian manager. On top of a stable backline he likes to add a converted CB as full back. He's been doing that for quite some time (Gallas, Chivu, Ramos, Ivanovic etc)
c- For some reason (shitness from our defenders, injury prone players) we fail to have a regular back four. We had been failing to do so for 3 years now

Hence he's adding new people to the defence.
What's the concept behind a converted CB as full back. I only understand doing it with young CBs to help their overall development and as a low risk entry into the team. What tactical use does it have? Are there any exceptions to him doing this?

LonelyFire

What's the concept behind a converted CB as full back. I only understand doing it with young CBs to help their overall development and as a low risk entry into the team. What tactical use does it have? Are there any exceptions to him doing this?
It's as much to do with height as anything else. The PL is physical and teams put you under pressure - having an additional centre back on the pitch provides some cover against teams who try to pin you in with balls into the box. I think the other factor is balance - ultimately teams cannot have both full backs flying down the wing as it leaves you open to counter attack. If you watch Utd this season, we tend to leave one full back at the half way line rather than both overlapping.

PS. Our most successful season in the last 10 years had 3 centre backs in the back 4.

Last edited:

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan

Take it with a pinch of salt. Lets see what the final fee comes down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.