Victor Lindelöf

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Somebody actually left a decent comment on Dailymail of all places about this.

Basically he said Jose signed

varane for real
Bailly for United
Carvalho for Chelsea
Zouma for Chelsea
Lucio at inter

So it's fair to say mourinho knows a talented centre back when he sees one, you really have to trust his judgement on this too.

starman

That fee looks ridiculous, hopefully its blown out of proportion by the media like they did with the Pogba fee.

At 38m he will become the 3rd most expensive United player ever..

Infra-red

Somebody actually left a decent comment on Dailymail of all places about this.

Basically he said Jose signed

varane for real
Bailly for United
Carvalho for Chelsea
Zouma for Chelsea
Lucio at inter

So it's fair to say mourinho knows a talented centre back when he sees one, you really have to trust his judgement on this too.
That's fair. Mourinho's record with regards to this position is more-or-less unblemished and he has a knack for improving the centre-backs he inherits (as we're obviously now witnessing).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A 38M centre back will play.
First of all I have serious doubts on the fee. Lindelof has a 30m euros minimum clause fee so we would be very silly to spend more than that. What I do suspect is that the Portuguese journalists have the same nasty behaviour Italian journalists have ie to add to the fee any other expenses including salaries, bonuses, future fees, the flight ticket, dental care, insurance etc. They also like playing around currency if possible. 30m will be quoted as 30m without ever mentioning if its in euros, pounds or dollars.

A staggering £38m pounds makes more headlines than 23m don't you think?

vodrake

Sports Witness saying he reportedly has a €30m buyout clause but we're offering €45m for some reason, sounds off

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
varane for real
Lucio at inter
Zidane signed Varane for Madrid and Lucio was signed by Oriali, though it was down to luck. Mou wanted a CB, Oriali identified Van Buyten as the target, Mou agreed, then Oriali went to Bayern and Bayern told him they weren't selling Van Buyten but would sell Lucio. Oriali than called Mourinho and they spent a good hour pointing and laughing at bayern munich :wenger:

But yes, this is true. Mourinho can tell a good CB from a bad one. Unlike wenger or LVG

Infra-red

That fee looks ridiculous, hopefully its blown out of proportion by the media like they did with the Pogba fee.

At 38m he will become the 3rd most expensive United player ever..
The usual objection to this line of thinking surely applies here: it's not our money, the only relevant question is whether or not he's actually good enough. The fee really doesn't matter.

Dave1812

For the money they are taking about we could have got Virgil Van Dijk for that he is proven premier league defender and 1 of the best in the league. If we do sign him I would sell Rojo in the summer yes he has had 5 or 6 good games but long term not for me. And most fans would have said the same 6 weeks ago but not now because most fans are fickle example 1 week u are shit next month you are great.

starman

The usual objection to this line of thinking surely applies here: it's not our money, the only relevant question is whether or not he's actually good enough. The fee really doesn't matter.
Well that line is stupid, of course it matters

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He is better than anything we have except for Valencia. Put Smalling there and you see the difference. Same for CB's. I wont talk anymore about Smalling in the Lindelöf thread.
Yeah, but you specifically mentioned him in the RB position. And his performance versus Everton was standard. Darmien level standard (not that its a bad thing, given he's a CB. Just odd that you used a RB performance to vindicate him).

AXVnee7

Meaning that Jose identifies the players we need for the squad, and we sign them up very quickly and efficiently. No going to deadline day and it appears that what was a very loose transfer policy is being tightened up. I'm confident we've gotten rid of any scattergun approach we had. All of Jose's 4 signings thus far have looked good, and if they keep it up they will all be successes.

Infra-red

Well that line is stupid, of course it matters
Care to venture a reason as to why any of us should care less how much money the Glazers decide to allocate for purchasing a new CB, assuming said CB is of the requisite quality to play for United?

It's not our money. If he'll improve the side, brilliant, get him in. If he won't, I don't want him at the club, regardless of how 'cheap' he might be.

Walters_19_MuFc

First of all I have serious doubts on the fee. Lindelof has a 30m euros minimum clause fee so we would be very silly to spend more than that. What I do suspect is that the Portuguese journalists have the same nasty behaviour Italian journalists have ie to add to the fee any other expenses including salaries, bonuses, future fees, the flight ticket, dental care, insurance etc. They also like playing around currency if possible. 30m will be quoted as 30m without ever mentioning if its in euros, pounds or dollars.

I see what you mean. If that is the case, then I guess its not too bad then.

RC89

I like that Jose is going after young CB's. I'd really like to see a long term partnership there. A must in all great teams.

prath92

Meaning that Jose identifies the players we need for the squad, and we sign them up very quickly and efficiently. No going to deadline day and it appears that what was a very loose transfer policy is being tightened up. I'm confident we've gotten rid of any scattergun approach we had. All of Jose's 4 signings thus far have looked good, and if they keep it up they will all be successes.
I think it means we're becoming more efficient in our transfer dealings...
We are more or less efficient in finishing deals since 2014 summer.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto

Nah.

I hate football journalism in general (and obviously Portuguese in particular) but they don't go that far.

devilish

Nah.

I hate football journalism in general (and obviously Portuguese in particular) but they don't go that far.
As said I won't discuss Portuguese journalism because I don't follow it enough to know. However I've seen these sort of tricks used in numerous occasions in Italy which pretty much shares the same culture in football

AXVnee7

We are more or less efficient in finishing deals since 2014 summer.
Don't agree personally. I feel Mourinho has come in and just got the job done with little to no hassle. We appear to have our January target(s) lined up already, and I've no doubt we will go into the summer window with a carefully structured plan.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Is it completely out of the question that we keep all of our CBs?
Until we go a season without our usual wave of defensive injuries I'd be reluctant to offload anyone. But if we are looking to sell anyone I'd say the first ones out the door should be one of Rojo or Jones. Sure, they've done well recently, but we shouldn't overlook Rojo's past mediocrity or Jones' injury problems. Not when we're comparing them to Smalling, who has been our best CB in the past few seasons, and Blind, who was good last season and the start of this one, and has the added bonus of being versatile and our being our best defender in possession.

But yeah, I'd give it time before pulling the trigger on any of their United careers, provided none of them push to leave.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Release clause and why we are said to be overpaying

The release clause is for summer window only, last summer chelsea bid for him (30 million euros according to jose's paul duncan castles) but it didnt happen as they also bid for luiz and got him. If we are to beat other teams to the punch and sign him right now, we have to pay a premium hence we have to overpay above his release clause.
Similar to what happened with jones, he had a minimum release clause of 16 million, since it was minimum, we paid 20 million to destroy the competition to get him.
Release clauses have certain conditions attached to them, this is just one of many, some have dates mentioned some if its a minimum release like jones its all about interpretation of law.

Oaencha

Have the "he's big, strong, fast, hard, great on the ball, threat at set-pieces, world-class potential, best defender in the world" posts popped up yet?
Are you talking about Flash Gordon?

Alexrad

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
Depth is important, you're right, but spending over 30m for cover? I mean, you certainly have the money so why not I guess...
It's not just cover. He's 22 and genuine prospect. He might as well cost 50 mil year from now if he continues his progress. Lately we started buying players that are 'on the cusp of greatness' so to say. Bailly, Martial, even Pogba falls under that category, he's only 23. If Jose sees something in Lindelof who are we to argue in all honesty, having in mind his defender signings record.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A centre back signing only makes sense if the player has genuine potential to be top class. We've got plenty of good/decent CBs.

And any RB signing needs to have a fair deal of pace.

m1y2

there's been plenty others of the same hype, we don't need another centerback who is not better than Jones or Rojo let alone Bailly or Smalling

MP1711

Release clause and why we are said to be overpaying

The release clause is for summer window only, last summer chelsea bid for him (30 million euros according to jose's paul duncan castles) but it didnt happen as they also bid for luiz and got him. If we are to beat other teams to the punch and sign him right now, we have to pay a premium hence we have to overpay above his release clause.
Similar to what happened with jones, he had a minimum release clause of 16 million, since it was minimum, we paid 20 million to destroy the competition to get him.
Release clauses have certain conditions attached to them, this is just one of many, some have dates mentioned some if its a minimum release like jones its all about interpretation of law.

That and selling Morgan and Memphis makes this a net break even.

devilish

Is it completely out of the question that we keep all of our CBs?
No

RB: Valencia, Darmian
CB: Bailly, Smalling, Lindelof, Jones
LB: Shaw, Rojo

DM: Carrick, Blind

Status
Not open for further replies.