Victor Osimhen

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Scamacca is correct. He may come good (doesn’t look like it) but he certainly doesnt like a quarter of the player people make him out to be. Osimhen I’ve seen quite a bit and he is not very good. He’s a decent player, that’s it.
He's barely played ffs. :lol:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Whenever i've watched him, hes looked very good.

Of course the price mentioned is insane, but honestly i have no clue about what would be a fair price anymore. Especially if you factor in that its August 29th.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Assuming we have to sign an actual long term CF either this summer or next, which options do the posters who don't like Osimhen actually rate more?
I prefer Toney next summer. Way too late now.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Scamacca is correct. He may come good (doesn’t look like it) but he certainly doesnt like a quarter of the player people make him out to be. Osimhen I’ve seen quite a bit and he is not very good. He’s a decent player, that’s it.
I see.

Never been much impressed by Osimhem when I watched him, but his stats are good.

He's one of the best strikers in the world if we sign him though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I said he may come good, so not writing him off. But his touch looked bad in that game, which I’ve found is not something that gets better with just game time. I guess we shall see though.
Which is weird as West Ham fans think his touch and flick ons are great.

I know he’s in there to score goals but he’s gonna have a fair few assists the way he’s going, some lovely flick-ons.
We have to play into his feet and move off him, he has great control and the strength to hold off defenders, at the moment years of knocking it over the top for Antonio to chase are ingrained in the team, but you’d suspect that changes with Paqueta. Together they could be very special.
Good technical skills and strong on ball, can cover it and hold it in one-to-one battle with defenders...his first start from the beginning was pretty promising...needs to find understanding with others though...will take couple of weeks more
Can't wait to see more of him. He really looks the part. When Bowen and Rice start playing properly again and we are creating chances, he'll get double figures in no time.

NewYorkRed

They must have watched a different game than me then. Also, fans excited about a new big money striker and then finding qualities that aren’t there? Can’t be, surely? Not every fanbase is as miserable as ours you know.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I like Toney and assume he would be quite a bit cheaper but I'm not sure that profile of CF (better in general play but a lot less actual goal threat) suits the team we're building as much with Antony and Sancho also part of the frontline.

avgp_1

The guy has just started one match in a new league and its already decided that he is bang average. The Caf is ridiculous.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I like Toney and assume he would be quite a bit cheaper but I'm not sure that profile of CF (better in general play but a lot less actual goal threat) suits the team we're building as much with Antony and Sancho also part of the frontline.
But...but... Antony and Toney attack. Has to be.

Castia

Only way I can see this happening is if we loan with an obligation to buy next summer whilst loaning out or releasing Ronaldo in exchange

Very complicated this late in the window

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The guy has just started one match in a new league and its already decided that he is bang average. The Caf is ridiculous.
Adding that nobody is really thinking he was/is a world beater indeed… just a good prospect eager to improve. I understand bashing Serie A is a given, yet often times the individual’s attitude and the surrounding environment make for a better fit here over there (and vice versa).

kaku06

Yeh to be fair there's no chance Ronaldo hits the same numbers as last season. Just there's a only small chance Osimhem will come from Serie A to the Prem and score more goals.
No point convincing any one at this stage mate. Caf has decided Osimhen is class and that’s it and mark my words if he signs pitchforks would be out soon when reality would slap them in the face.
He really doesn't pass the eye test in the comps I have watched, looks a bit clumsy with an erratic touch and control of the ball. In his last 2 full season he has only averaged 9 then 12 passes in a game so you aren't getting much in the build up based on that. Huge threat in the air, but if Utd develop into a team who dominate the ball against deep lying defenders then outside of his aerial ability I am not seeing a lot of high level stuff there.

Need to watch a few full matches of him and get a proper feel for his play.
You are spot on. I watch serie a as much as the premier league which means a lot and the guy is bang average in everything. Caf will regret this.
Ok. I trust you... so I'll try and widen my horizons and ignore the YouTube compilations, which don't look at all £100m+ worthy.
Please don’t trust him. Watch some full matches of him and the reality would surprise you. That’s the only advice I can give you.
He is so overrated on here, just like a ton of other players. The lad that just went to West Ham was highly rated here too and looks proper bang average.
You aren’t wrong my friend but caf has lost its collective sense. They have declared Osimhen as one of the top strikers in the world. Bloody hell. They are in for a rude awakening.

seegoblu

Seems a bit FIFA-ish but a loan with obligation to buy and a straight loan of Ronaldo, where each club pays the full salary of its loaned out player would get Napoli what it wants at a price they can afford and get United the ST it needs to replace Ronaldo now and for the future

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
No point convincing any one at this stage mate. Caf has decided Osimhen is class and that’s it and mark my words if he signs pitchforks would be out soon when reality would slap them in the face.

You are spot on. I watch serie a as much as the premier league which means a lot and the guy is bang average in everything. Caf will regret this.

Please don’t trust him. Watch some full matches of him and the reality would surprise you. That’s the only advice I can give you.

You aren’t wrong my friend but caf has lost its collective sense. They have declared Osimhen as one of the top strikers in the world. Bloody hell. They are in for a rude awakening.
He is not one of the top strikers in the world.

But he is one of the top handful of strikers who are under 24/25, and has potential to be better. Aside from Haaland and Mbappe, there are not many obvious high class options. Osimhen is in a similar category to Nunez.

I agree he isn't worth silly money but he is the type of player who could be a big hit in the PL. A loan deal with a fee and no obligation would be perfect but seems unlikely.

Maybe the real story is the lack of options in the market for a centre forward.

Woodzy

There’s no way they will keep Osimhen if they sign Ronaldo so I do think that if Ronaldo goes there it will happen. Neither will be happy with the bench and I doubt Napoli give a shit about younger players, especially if they can cash in now.

Bojan Djordjic

Not sure about that. It’s us paying €100M and paying Ronaldo’s full salary. How is that getting the much better deal?
I know it sounds mental but the mistake has already been made with Ronaldo and if he doesn't go we're paying 100% of his salary for a net negative contribution. We can eat his salary for one year, bring in one of the best U23 strikers in the world for a fee that is now standard for that calibre of player and it transforms our team. Osimhen is exactly what we need. He's a real battler and he will give defenders grief all game which means they're occupied.

He doesn't look pretty like an Henry or even a Martial but he's definitely an elite scorer (95th percentile xg) and one of the best in the world at generating shots for himself. We have Sancho, Antony, Bruno and Eriksen to take on the creative burden but we need someone to lead the line, make defenders uncomfortable and finish chances all of which I think Osimhen will be perfect at.

Threesus

Form what I have read, he is a very good presser from the front, can run a lot, can bring others into play, but not a prolific scorer. Is he robust/reliable? We can get away somewhat if he is not a prolific scorer, but if his injury record is like martial, we should steer clear.

Bojan Djordjic

If we sign Toney, who is going to score goals for us to get us near the top four? Toney is a bottom 24th percentile scorer, Osimhen is in the 95th. The stuff Toney is good at is already overcompensated for in the team. We need goal scorers as our wingers aren't that prolific either.

zaafi

I know it sounds mental but the mistake has already been made with Ronaldo and if he doesn't go we're paying 100% of his salary for a net negative contribution. We can eat his salary for one year, bring in one of the best U23 strikers in the world for a fee that is now standard for that calibre of player and it transforms our team. Osimhen is exactly what we need. He's a real battler and he will give defenders grief all game which means they're occupied.

He doesn't look pretty like an Henry or even a Martial but he's definitely an elite scorer (95th percentile xg) and one of the best in the world at generating shots for himself. We have Sancho, Antony, Bruno and Eriksen to take on the creative burden but we need someone to lead the line, make defenders uncomfortable and finish chances all of which I think Osimhen will be perfect at.
Did you watch Fiorentina - Napoli yesterday? Embarrassing performance by Osimhen, and not a "real battler" as you put it. If you're sick of seeing Fernandes waving about with his arms and getting annoyed with his team mates, you would be in for a treat with Osimhen. And he's absolutely not an elite scorer. For a striker, he's a really bad finisher, apart from heading. He has never even scored against the top teams in Serie A, so not a big game player either.

northernfan

Just another shiny bobble for the United Side Step. Distract the public. How about fixing the core issue. Even with Casemiro this midfield still needs work if they are going to compete for top 4.

El Presidente

Just another shiny bobble for the United Side Step. Distract the public. How about fixing the core issue. Even with Casemiro this midfield still needs work if they are going to compete for top 4.
Fred and Eriksen and definitely more dependable than Martial...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This guy seems to be a bit marmite. I posted a list of CFs that I thought were options for us earlier in the summer, and had this guy down as a 'target man' type option, but I do think he's got more to his game than just that. Think he's quite a good footballer too and good with the ball at his feet.

I'd definitely be interested in having him here if it's an option. He'd bring more to our game than Martial and think he's better physically that Ronaldo now too. Think he could get plenty of goals and take his scoring up a notch. He seems pretty ridiculous in the air, he's got a spring like Michael Jordan at times, so with the amount of crosses we've been throwing in, he'd be a threat. Plus he's probably going to fit in with the idea of playing a bit longer at times to negate the opposition press. I can see with Antony being added, he'd probably feast on some of the balls he tends to play into the box.

Having said that, I had two primary options that I personally wanted to see here before the summer - João Felix or Nkunku. We know next summer Nkunku is 95% likely to be on the move and for a decent fee. He's a completely different profile to Osimhen, but he'd bring more ability to carry the ball, take on player...that bit of magic we seem to lack (but will hopefully have to an extent now with Antony). He'd probably be more pleasing on the eye and also a more versatile player. So it's going to boil down to how likely the club see that potential move?

I think João Felix is an outside chance if we had a good season and got CL football. He's no.1 for me, just an incredible player more in the Nkunku mould. I'm less sure he'd be willing to come though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Form what I have read, he is a very good presser from the front, can run a lot, can bring others into play, but not a prolific scorer. Is he robust/reliable? We can get away somewhat if he is not a prolific scorer, but if his injury record is like martial, we should steer clear.
When looking at his scoring stats you need to account for the fact that they don't benefit from him being his team's penalty taker, as well as the fact that he missed games last season with a fractured cheekbone. And the fact that he's still just 23 years old.

He has retuened 0.64 and 0.57 non penalty goals per 90 minute in his two Serie A seasons. For a PL comparison, Harry Kane's last four seasons were 0.48, 0.56, 0.55 and 0.36 from open play. I'm not sure we'd describe Kane in that period as "not a prolific goalscorer".

STYLOISRED

Did you watch Fiorentina - Napoli yesterday? Embarrassing performance by Osimhen, and not a "real battler" as you put it. If you're sick of seeing Fernandes waving about with his arms and getting annoyed with his team mates, you would be in for a treat with Osimhen. And he's absolutely not an elite scorer. For a striker, he's a really bad finisher, apart from heading. He has never even scored against the top teams in Serie A, so not a big game player either.
Funny because i watched that game with a group of friends and Osimhen was constantly causing problems in the Fiorentina defence with his movement and pressing even though Napoli hardly created any chances.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we can get Ronaldo's £480k a week off the wages, it would more than help to offset a major chunk of the Osimhen fee.
The idea that's been mentioned is paying for most of his wages whilst we get Osimhen on loan with an obligation to buy, so as not having to come up with the money immediately. Ronnie has obviously had to take a 25 pay cut so should be at 360K now. Around 18.7m for the year. I could see Napoli maybe paying 5m towards that and us paying the rest as a "thank you" for Osimhen this late in the window.

However we get rid of Ronaldo, if we're getting no one in return, we cannot be paying him any money whatsoever. If he's so magnanimous to lower his wages in order to compete in the CL, let him taste the real world. No one wants to pay him 360K or anywhere close to that. He can go to Saudi if he wants that.

zaafi

Funny because i watched that game with a group of friends and Osimhen was constantly causing problems in the Fiorentina defence with his movement and pressing even though Napoli hardly created any chances.
Interesting. I thought he started game with decent pressing, but over time it became more like "fake" pressing. Meaningless half-pressing to give the impression of a hard worker, when in reality you're just wasting energy. His movement is very similar to Lukaku. As opposed to Cavani's and Haaland's quick accelerated movement with a change of direction to trick the defender, Osimhen and Lukaku's movement are similar in how it's predictable for the defender. The issue for the defenders is not their movement, but their strength.

Womp

idiot
Maybe a loan with option to buy with Ronaldo going the other way? No chance we can pay what they'd want

gaffs

The idea that's been mentioned is paying for most of his wages whilst we get Osimhen on loan with an obligation to buy, so as not having to come up with the money immediately. Ronnie has obviously had to take a 25 pay cut so should be at 360K now. Around 18.7m for the year. I could see Napoli maybe paying 5m towards that and us paying the rest as a "thank you" for Osimhen this late in the window.

However we get rid of Ronaldo, if we're getting no one in return, we cannot be paying him any money whatsoever. If he's so magnanimous to lower his wages in order to compete in the CL, let him taste the real world. No one wants to pay him 360K or anywhere close to that. He can go to Saudi if he wants that.
And i guess we would pay Osimhen's wages on top? Which would negate the 5mil you think Napoli would pay off Ronaldo's salary.

Which would effectively mean that we would be swapping them for the season, with both clubs continuing paying their players salary.

That may be a good deal for all.

Napoli would benefit commercially from having CR7. United would have a player that "should" be far more capable that Ronaldo is at this stage of his career.

Faetheshire86

I completely agree. I know there are some people adamant that he isn't good enough (I'm sure they all have legitimate reasons for believing this), but having watched how we have played, in pre-season and our first 4 games, he fits the profile of player we need at #9 to a tee. Young, works hard, scores goals, good with his back to goal, good in the air, quick. Maybe there is an abundance of players who match this profile that I'm unaware of, but I'd struggle to name any that don't currently play for one of our rivals.

I don't think this deal happens, because it honestly feels like it would be too good to be true. We get a player that fits our needs with the fee deferred for a year, while solving the Ronaldo problem, which in itself, feels like it's reached addition by subtraction territory.