Victor Osimhen

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I hope we throw everything at him in the summer. He’s quality and will fit in with our forward players that are already here.

bosskeano

I hope we throw everything at him in the summer. He’s quality and will fit in with our forward players that are already here.
if we have to kick in another 10m to pay over installments, we should do it

footballbite

Also, Retegui? What do you see in him that would be a good investment? He's a year younger than Osimhen, has had 1 good season playing on loan rather than for his parent club who surely would be starting a 23 year old if he was that good. Goncalo Ramos will cost around the same as Osimhen. Evan Ferguson we don't know how good he can be, but Brighton will sell for a very high price. There isn't a plethora of strikers out there to choose from, maybe Mauni would be a good option for a cheaper price.

Also regarding Retegui, he has an Italian passport and is signed with Totti's agency. We can have a good guess to what country he will end up in.
Goncalo Ramos would probably be a bit cheaper than Osimhen; maybe £80mil instead of £100mil+. Although he doesn't have some of Osimhen's stand-out athleticism, I wonder if his playing style would be a better fit for Utd, his all-round game, including with the ball at his feet, seems a bit more solid than Osimhen's. I think Martial shows that this Utd team plays better with a striker who's good at playing in tight areas and getting involved in link-up play, rather than a target-man type like Weghorst and CR7, which Osimhen might be a bit more similar to.

Muani I think is too similar to Rashford - excels running in behind and also cutting inside from the left flank I think they would step on each other's toes too often.

I'll be keeping an eye on all 3 though in the next round of the CL.

Ferguson would cost a lot for sure, also £60mil minimum, but it's incredibly rare that such an accomplished looking player appears in the PL at 18. He's already playing for a team 6th in the PL and not seeming out of place at all. I also find it tricky to judge what his ultimate level will be, but at the moment there doesn't seem an obvious limit to how high his ceiling could be relative to other number 9s given the range of qualities he's shown.

I wouldn't take Retegui as the only striker, but he'd probably only cost £20mil and he looks to strike the ball like Kane cleanly with power with both feet. Not saying he'll be the next Kane, but for what he'd likely cost he's the kind of signing who could be worth a punt. He doesn't have to go to Serie A either - he'd get a UK permit and Ten Hag seems to like his Argies. I mentioned him rather as being an alternative to Sesko as someone who'd be more an up-coming striker who could be back-up at first.

Last edited:

Valencia Shin Crosses

No I'm just not a moron. Quite clearly ETH and the club would think that's a good investment (which it is) if we get him at that price. Hes seemingly one of Ten Hags number one targets for a reason. We're talking about one of the best strikers in the world already proven in the league, so yes, I do think signing Harry Kane gets us challenging for the title and a strong possiblity of winning it. The talk of value is bollocks.
He's one of Ten Hags top targets because we don't have a single fecking striker besides the crocked one. Of course we want him. That doesn't mean paying whatever price Spurs want is a good decision, but you seem to keep simplifying it down to that when we have a squad that is one injury away from Scott McTominay at the base of our midfield as well as relying on a converted 10 who's a ghost defensively to play alongside Casemiro (I also think we probably need 2 strikers not just one). Pretending we are set as a squad besides up top is just sticking your head in the sand

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Weghorst can do two things with United. He can succeed or he can fail. If he succeed then I can see Burnley asking silly money for him. If not then we wouldn't want to keep him right? Thuram on the other hand is younger, more versatile and he's a free agent. If he doesn't succeed as a forward its easier to move him around in other areas of the team or sell him off.

I have nothing against Tielemans joining United as long as his salary demands won't be over the roof. What I am against is paying 120m-140m on Osimhen. No disrespect towards the player who is quite talented indeed. However he's not worth that money which in turn would be bad business for United, unfair on the player and a risk for ETH's career.
ETH has said about us making mediocre signing, yet you still want us to do the same by signing Thuram who is worse than Weghorst. What I’m confusing is that you don’t want us to sign players due to their transfer fees no matter how success the player can be for example you don’t want us to sign Weghorst if he succeed because Burnley could ask silly money for a player who’s contract will be expired in 2025. Shouldn’t we priority succeed over money if it means we are signing player that can be more successful here?

Furthermore, we have too many wingers, so it’s not easier to move Thuram around in other areas if he’s not good enough as striker. And also, Thuram is currently on 82k pw, while Weghorst is currently on 40k pw so it‘s easier to move Weghorst to 2nd choice striker or backup striker if he’s not good enough as main striker than selling Thuram or cheaper than keeping Thuram. Why would you prefer worse stats and higher wages just for the sake of small margin transfer fees?

ETH wants top class striker. 100m is the amount of money for top class striker. if he wants top class striker then he knows that’s the risk he has to take. Who else can we get in the top striker market? Thuram isn’t top class striker, he’s not even a striker.

JuriM

Both him & Kane are too obvious, would cost an arm & leg anyway. We need a top quality striker, but maybe look someone less obvious than them?

Bojan Djordjic

How accurate is the talk of Osimhen being distinctly average in the build-up? Slightly concerning for the money we're talking about, especially as we're moving towards being a team that dominates possession high in the opposition final third.
Yeah but I think in an ideal world Ten Hag wants his forward to be low usage and not involved in build up which would suit Osimhen. It's how he's played the likes of Haller in the past but Osimhen is far superior to Haller. We can see it in the way Haaland operates where frequently the only time he's touching the ball is when he's running on to it to take a shot or actually just taking a shot. I think that Ten Hag wants his striker always pulling the centrebacks high to make more space on the pitch in the same way he wants his wide men very wide.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Both him & Kane are too obvious, would cost an arm & leg anyway. We need a top quality striker, but maybe look someone less obvious than them?
Like who? Why does it need to be “less obvious”, anyway? The reason they’re so obvious is because they’re the best strikers we can target.

cpresc

Osimhem would be a serious handful for the opposition defence, creating loads of space for Rashford, Fernandez and Sancho (?) to run riot. He'd also be another warrior in our starting 11 adding to Casemiro and Martinez. I think with him plus a central midfielder (ideally Jude) we'd transform into an incredibly strong team. Kane would slot in well also for sure but he's not got that warrior vibe we're seeing this season, which I personally am absolutely loving.

Bojan Djordjic

I don't know if he'd be ten Hag's number 1 choice.

Despite being injured a lot, we've seen how much ten Hag talks up Martial, and has clearly said we play better with him in the team.

To me, that has a lot to do with a Martial's back to goal play - similar to Weghorst.

If we can get a player who has that plus goals (no one better than Kane) then I think that's who ten Hag would prefer.

Let's say we have, Kane, Martial and Rashford as our forward options, then we have two players in Kane and Martial who has fantastic link play and someone in Rashford, who, like Osimhen, is more of a running in behind striker.
Martial's a great footballer but a terrible striker. His movement and off the ball work is just really bad. Happy to make passes from midfield and watch the play unfold from where he passes it without making follow up runs into the box; he doesn't make good runs in the box and he always stops the ball when receiving rather than using its pace to his advantage. He could have been a great striker if he had better coaching earlier in his career because he has so many components of a good player.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Striker is a position we shouldn’t have that mentality with. These two are the best options. The back up? Sure.

Handré1990

Not seen a lot of him, but I don’t get the he’s scoring easy goals in Italy thing. He’s bullying defenders with speed, power, excellent finishing and movement, and seem to do a lot to tie the attack together. If Ten Hag wants him I hope he gets him. Jesus, him, Rashford and Garnacho in full throttle, I’d hate to defend against those.

Rolaholic

Not seen a lot of him, but I don’t get the he’s scoring easy goals in Italy thing. He’s bullying defenders with speed, power, excellent finishing and movement, and seem to do a lot to tie the attack together. If Ten Hag wants him I hope he gets him. Jesus, him, Rashford and Garnacho in full throttle, I’d hate to defend against those.
He's scored all types of goals this season tbf. Headers, volleys, poachers goals in the box, perfectly hit strikes etc. He's a natural finisher.

Everything besides maybe long range outside of the box bombs but those typically aren't necessary from your no.9

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's scored in the CL, he's scored against Chelsea and Liverpool - it's fair to say he's not struggled against any.

footballbite

He's scored in the CL, he's scored against Chelsea and Liverpool - it's fair to say he's not struggled against any
He's not scored against Liverpool.
His 1 goal in the CL this season was at home to Ajax in the last minute when Napoli were 3-2 up.

He did score away against Chelsea and Valencia for Lille in the CL three seasons ago tbf.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Thanks for the replies, I like the look of him. Seems he’s not a afraid to run his socks off and get stuck in as well.
From what I've watched, he reminds me of a bit more athletic version of Nunez that can finish. Will still have his drawbacks, but quite frankly there are no perfect options in the striker market currently.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's not scored against Liverpool.
His 1 goal in the CL this season was at home to Ajax in the last minute when Napoli were 3-2 up.

He did score away against Chelsea and Valencia for Lille in the CL three seasons ago tbf.
He missed most of the group stage injured. And he terrorised Liverpool before he was forced off after only about 20 mins.

bosskeano

Osimhen would be a better version of Saha but clearly better value would be buying Ramos and Kudus for the same price

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Good point. Where's the fun in that? Maybe Ben Davies. Nobody will see that one coming.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I suppose Cavani would probably be a good comparison from our POV given we saw a bit of him here (albeit well past his peak). Like Osimhen he also made his name with Napoli, was a somewhat similar style of striker (heavy on physicality, movement, workrate and the ability to get chances, light on technical polish) and left for a big money move outside of Serie A (£55m in 2013 when he was a couple of years older than Osimhen currently).

In theory if a young Cavani was on the market now, how keen would you be to sign him?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I suppose Cavani would probably be a good comparison from our POV given we saw a bit of him here (albeit well past his peak). Like Osimhen he also made his name with Napoli, was a somewhat similar style of striker (heavy on physicality, movement, workrate and the ability to get chances, light on technical polish) and left for a big money move outside of Serie A (£55m in 2013 when he was a couple of years older than Osimhen currently).

In theory if a young Cavani was on the market now, how keen would you be to sign him?
I believe Cavani is ETH ideal type of striker. One of the main reason why I think Osimhen could be the guy is because lot of people like fans, players, and journalist compare Osimhen to Cavani in the way how they play, movement, weakness, and strength.

Devil77

We’re buying Jesus too? The guy from Arsenal or Bethlehem?

git_united

Will the decision to pursue him v. Kane hinge upon how we fare this season? Assuming we finish top 4 (I personally dream of more) at a minimum, the amount of silverware we get might affect EtH’s sense of urgency to win something. If we win nothing, the club might push for the more proven player in Kane (RvP). If we win 1 or 2 cups, the club might decide to take more risk and think longer term with Osimhen (Lewandowski).

Valencia Shin Crosses

Admittedly I’ve only watched about an hour of footage from Oshimen, but Nunez?
Darwin yeah. The good parts though. Endless energy, extremely fast and strong, runs the channels, isn't going to blow you away with technical ability or creativity but gets into great positions and like I said he finishes better than Darwin does imo technique wise (especially heading, this guy is lethal in the air; like one of the best in the world with his head).

I disliked Nunez even before Liverpool mainly because he didn't show a real abundance of technique even in front of goal, and he still doesn't at Liverpool. Most of his "misses" are him just smashing at the ball and hoping it goes in. I think Osimhen has more coordination/ability in front of goal to offset his very average play on ball.

NLunited

He might be a good fit, but he is too expensive. We could pay it but shouldn‘t.

We need to be smarter. City got their yeti for 70 million or so. Why would we pay double for a lesser player?!? feck that.

Get Bellingham instead.

Holocene

We need to be smarter. City got their yeti for 70 million or so. Why would we pay double for a lesser player?!? feck that.

Get Bellingham instead.
Haaland had a release clause.

Signing Bellingham will not win us the league.

NLunited

Haaland had a release clause.

Signing Bellingham will not win us the league.
You are missing the point. We shouldn‘t overpay. Bellingham is worth 110 million, Osimhen isn‘t.

Will Osimhen win us the league?
Look at Darwin Nunez, is he winning Liverpool the league?

Pscholes18

He seems to fit the bill yet worried we get him and he gets injured due to the rigorous demands of the Premier League.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Get Bellingham instead.
Because of a release clause. City also paid 40m to his dad and another 40m or so to his agent, and then is paying him 750k per week after top ups.

A striker is easily the most important position for us to get. Also really don't think that Bellingham is the right midfielder for us to get anyway.

Dannn411

Would obviously be a fantastic signing because of his eye for goal and hunger to score goals but there are downsides to the deal. The price is the biggest one and given our need to improve other areas and our limited resources, this is a deal breaker. He's also not as great in the build up a la haaland. Think Kolo Muani is a more complete player and would cost less.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Get Bellingham instead.
Well, it was reported Haaland cost 85.6m (his release clause + agent fees + player/father fees). His salary is 19.5m per year and if we consider it as City pay his salary for five years then it has potential cost of 183.1m in total. Haaland transfer fees/release clause might be look cheap but his wages, agent fees, and player/father fees are crazily high.
https://www.si.com/soccer/mancheste...haalands-actual-release-clause-value-revealed

Assume Osimhen total cost 130m pounds (transfer fees + agent/player fees). His salary that we offer is 200k pw which is 10.4m per year for 5 years contract. Then it has potential cost of 182m in total.

Not really a double price. Although, it is still lot of money and I think we should just walk away if it's more than 105m or 110m pounds.

Handré1990

Darwin yeah. The good parts though. Endless energy, extremely fast and strong, runs the channels, isn't going to blow you away with technical ability or creativity but gets into great positions and like I said he finishes better than Darwin does imo technique wise (especially heading, this guy is lethal in the air; like one of the best in the world with his head).

I disliked Nunez even before Liverpool mainly because he didn't show a real abundance of technique even in front of goal, and he still doesn't at Liverpool. Most of his "misses" are him just smashing at the ball and hoping it goes in. I think Osimhen has more coordination/ability in front of goal to offset his very average play on ball.
you probably know a hell of a lot more than me about these players, but I’ve watched us play. Average technique? We’ve seen average and below average for us for the last 10+ years, just because you don’t look silky on the ball it doesn’t mean your technique is average. I’ve heard the same said about Haaland and Thomas Müller in his heyday, they’re not pleasing on the eye, but very effective.